View Poll Results: Are you still getting the TouchPad post-reviews?

Voters
270. You may not vote on this poll
  • Still Excitedly Tracking the Delivery Man!

115 42.59%
  • I'm still waiting on the 3G version, but yes.

11 4.07%
  • Having second thoughts

37 13.70%
  • I'll wait until I get some hands-on time.

37 13.70%
  • Not this TouchPad.

65 24.07%
  • I hate webOS. I'm just here to troll.

5 1.85%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes
    As long as its webos its fine for me.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I bought one. HP Germany send their touchpads out early so i got mine...

There are some performance issues but it is nothing to bash on. First Tablet, First device with WebOS 3.0 so a patch may be imminent.
    When you are using skype the system gets a little bit slower and if you are listening to music and playing games sometimes it hangs a little bit.
    But all of that is nothing critical.

The other ones are all right, go test one for yourself.
    I am happy with mine and am not regretting buying it.
    kevr1990 likes this.
    A whole bunch of different views - ultimately it depends what you want the device for - and probably where you are in your life with regard to technology and gadgets and of course disposable income.

I thought the latest video review on Engadget was OK - for what I want such a device to do. I travel extensively and almost always have a powerful laptop for work based activities, however for trips involving flights a device that can do the odd game, contain music/ripped video, eBooks and casual web surfing (airport lounges) without the bulk of a laptop it will be perfect for my needs.

The lack of a Video out is zero loss (laptop does that). A tablet is a luxury item and really a toy for most people - for those that are bemoaning a lack of ports, seriously this isn't for you - go and buy a laptop. That's not being rude its just facing the facts that laptops have better multi-resolution video outputs and work properly TVs and projectors. If you can't afford both devices - buy a laptop.

Knowing the HP are out there evolving and improving the platform is great. Enterprise IT hardware vendors like HP have a different business culture that consumer electronics company outfits. It's something that some of the people posting here are too young or inexperienced to understand. If you buy consumer electronics (no names but you know who) then you expect that as soon as next year's model comes out that support the device you bought yesterday will be soon forgotten and they hope you will upgrade anyway - gets boring and expensive and eventually annoying after a while.

Let's say for a moment that HP have screwed up badly and the Touchpad is seriously lacking - will HP dump the purchasers and do a runner to Touchpad2? No - they won't - they will fix, enhance and optimise - its what they do very well.

I pre-ordered, understand that as an 'Early Adopter' there is a risk - however it's very small and HP are a proper company and not a cynical screw-the-customer and run to next years model operation - roll on next Tuesday. In guess you are wondering I'm in my 3rd decade of IT...
    I never expected for the reviews to be good nor do I listen to them. I go see them first hand and if I like it, I buy it. So, I bought the touchpad. If you want a product that gets 'the best reviews no matter what' and is 'cool' go be like the other millions of americans and be a sheep and go get the fruit co
    The most negative parts of all reviews were:

1) rough edges which HP says will be polished in an OTA update
    2) iPad-like hardware.

And while I get that other new tablets are thinner and/or lighter, I don't understand the hate about point 2. The iPad was universally hailed as easy to hold and not too heavy. Sure, the iPad 2 may be *better* than the TouchPad in that respect, but that still doesn't make the TouchPad *bad* - know what I mean? If it was great last year, I feel it's still at least good enough today.

Rough edges... Ehhh, what was that about not releasing a product that isn't perfect? But the issues do seem minor to me. I'll still probably get a TouchPad, but will probably wait a while for the price to drop - not because I feel the TouchPad isn't worth its current price, or because I want to 'wait and see', but because I feel the need to have food every day and won't touch savings for consumer electronics.
    After reading the reviews, I found the answer wo my biggest concern:

Battery life
    So far in my testing, battery life seems outstanding on the TouchPad. While I haven’t yet had a chance to run our full suite of battery tests on the tablet, I can tell you that in day-to-day, very heavy use, it performed excellently. On a typical day of rigorous testing (app downloads, 3D gaming, Skype calls, lots of web browsing, constant email work, Twitter, messaging, and more), the TouchPad went from 9AM in the morning to 12AM that night and still had 20 percent of its battery life. In lighter use, I left the device off the charger for 3 days straight and still had plenty of juice. HP says that the tablet is capable of 8 hours of web browsing, 9 hours of video playback, and 3.4 days of audio playback, and those estimations seem right on to me. As with the iPad and some of the Honeycomb devices, you won’t be reaching for the dock constantly.
    No ... can't do it. I'd been waiting for the reviews before making my final decision between the TP and the iPad2, and the near universal complaints about lags and lockups clinched it for me. I'm not dealing with that when I can get an iPad2 (which works) for the same price. I may go head and buy the iPad today, in fact, if I can find someplace that HAS it.
  8.    #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by rburtz View Post
    After reading the reviews, I found the answer wo my biggest concern:

Battery life
    So far in my testing, battery life seems outstanding on the TouchPad. While I havenít yet had a chance to run our full suite of battery tests on the tablet, I can tell you that in day-to-day, very heavy use, it performed excellently. On a typical day of rigorous testing (app downloads, 3D gaming, Skype calls, lots of web browsing, constant email work, Twitter, messaging, and more), the TouchPad went from 9AM in the morning to 12AM that night and still had 20 percent of its battery life. In lighter use, I left the device off the charger for 3 days straight and still had plenty of juice. HP says that the tablet is capable of 8 hours of web browsing, 9 hours of video playback, and 3.4 days of audio playback, and those estimations seem right on to me. As with the iPad and some of the Honeycomb devices, you wonít be reaching for the dock constantly.
    This is one of the reasons we need to be taking these reviews with a grain of salt. This one says the battery is outstanding, yet another says the battery sucks. One says it is fast and responsive, the other crashes it every two seconds.

Go play with it and make your own decision. I'll be getting specifically because it has the HP logo. I have never bought one of their products and ended up being unhappy.
    fxspec06 and JayhawkOne like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    This is one of the reasons we need to be taking these reviews with a grain of salt. This one says the battery is outstanding, yet another says the battery sucks. One says it is fast and responsive, the other crashes it every two seconds.

Go play with it and make your own decision. I'll be getting specifically because it has the HP logo. I have never bought one of their products and ended up being unhappy.

I would like to see more people here do just that.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

PrinceAlbert likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post

I would like to see more people here do just that.
    Yeah.

We all know how those reviews are... You just need to compare what they say and what you have when you own a device.

Bad hardware? Seriously?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Newness Developments apps:

PrinceAlbert likes this.
    There are always as much as a half two accurate reviews.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Newness Developments apps:

<<threads merged>>
    Quote Originally Posted by rburtz View Post
    I don't care about the reviews, mainly because each reviewer brings their own bias into the testing of a new unit.

I played with a demo unit for 20 minutes and the smile I had never left my face. That is the only review I need.
    Fantastic comment and yes I'll have mine also on Friday! Very cool and looking forward to what it brings now and later! Sorli...
    I had a Pre-order for Canada but my credit card got compromised to I cancelled it, now I need to wait for my new visa from my bank so I'll just go pick one up on the 15th
    W370 -> 3500c -> Instinct ->Pre -> Legend -> Pre 2 -> Bold 9900 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> HP Pre 3
    Rogers -> Fido -> Bell Mobility ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
    Here's my issue with the reviews I read. First, many of the bugs/issues reviewers complain about don't exist with the ipad because it can't be done on the ipad. A good example of this is Flash support. Most reviewers complain it's slow on the touchpad and won't work on some sites. So is Flash faster/better on the ipad? If you only compared similar functionality available in the ipad to the touchpad would the reviews change? Then list everything the touchpad can do the ipad can't. Most of the reviewers can't do this because they've only spent a day or so with WebOS and know nothing about it. Second, the biggest downfall is the apps. I think this is way over emphasized but that's just me. Third, no mention of Homebrew. Let's face it with Homebrew support we you can do things with WebOS that ipad/iphone users can't even imagine. HP should really consider packaging Preware on all new devices. Next, most of the complaints could be fixed with software updates. HP needs to get it together and roll these out quick. Finally, your left with real issues like size, weight, and lack of a rear facing camera.

My decision to purchase the Touchpad is going to hinder on whether I trust that HP will fix the software bugs. I'm not sure how I feel about that.
    Right, and after reading several reviews, it's obvious a number of them had no idea you could even resize the keyboard.
    oh it must be reviewers fault. Can never be HP's poor product. 2 years later and webos is still buggy as hell.
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Most reviews I've read not helping Touchpad sale to be honest.

I'm buying one but 3G version preferably 7" as well.
    It's also amazing in to see the variance in what reviewers say about the screen. It's either gorgeous or sub-par.
    Quote Originally Posted by shaffaaf27 View Post
    oh it must be reviewers fault. Can never be HP's poor product. 2 years later and webos is still buggy as hell.
    To be fair Android is as buggy if not worse than WebOS. Let's face it iOS is solid. Palm/HP have fixed many bugs but they introduced a bunch too. I'm not sure what they did to the messaging app in WebOS 2.1 but it's atrocious compared to 1.4.5.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast