View Poll Results: Are you still getting the TouchPad post-reviews?

Voters
270. You may not vote on this poll
  • Still Excitedly Tracking the Delivery Man!

115 42.59%
  • I'm still waiting on the 3G version, but yes.

11 4.07%
  • Having second thoughts

37 13.70%
  • I'll wait until I get some hands-on time.

37 13.70%
  • Not this TouchPad.

65 24.07%
  • I hate webOS. I'm just here to troll.

5 1.85%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    I blame operator error. When Josh was at Engadget, he handled the major reviews. It probably would have gotten an 8/10 from him.
    Close. He gave it a 7.5. HP TouchPad review | This is my next...
  2.    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I think he would have rounded. I've never seen engadget give a half rating before.
    For me, I'm thinking I'm just stuck in this whole WebOS thing for the long haul.

I got the pre+ because my 755p died and Classic allowed me a transition route. (mind you, I've got apps upgraded all the way from my PALM PILOT >Palm III >Treo 650, okay?)

I was getting a little discouraged with my Pre+ until I upgraded it (thank you WebOS Internals) to 2.1 - then it was awesome. Then I lost my Pre+ down a storm drain and I got a Pre2 (also now running 2.1) LOVE IT.

Now, seeing how KalemSoft Media Player, WiFi Sync, Data Manager and a few other really nice stable apps are keeping me really interested in WebOS, I, personally, can't see getting any Tablet other than a TP.

I'm honestly not 100% convinced I need a tablet.

But I'm not even gonna think about an iPad2 even though I played with one the other day at Best Buy and didn't mind it. But, no thanks. My last attempt at an Apple product was the Airport Extreme which did what it did fine but offered no possibility of network configuration - imagine that, a network router with almost no possibility of actual network configuration- to me that is all things Apple, in a nutshell. Pretty, good at what they do, but don't try anything funny.

Android is just way to much chaos, IMHO. Again, no thank you. Not for me.

So, I'm not thoroughly convinced that I really need a tablet. But I'm pretty sure I have to have a TP. I'm gonna play with it in the store and probably summon the faith to believe that one way or another, the kinks will get ironed out, the apps will keep coming and Preware will once again save the day for me.

Just my two cents - but what do I know? I spent 3 years !@#%ing around with OS/2.

I honestly don't think this is that but, like I said, what do I know? I'm hooked.
    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    Just my two cents - but what do I know? I spent 3 years !@#%ing around with OS/2.
    Me too! 2.0, 2.1 and 3.0 before I finally realized it wasn't going anywhere and jumped to NT.

I think that's what makes me more cynical about niche operating systems than most people. If the support's not there, it probably isn't going to get better.
    I love WebOS. I'm in the market for a tablet. Is there another tablet with WebOS? No. I'm getting a Touchpad. Are first releases of hardware a crapshoot? Yes. Is that going to stop me? No. Will HP deliver updates that will address the software side of the issues? Yes. Will rabid homebrewers tweak anything I'm hung up on? Yes. Will the juggernaut that is HP convince many of the must-have apps to come to WebOS? Yes. Will I sell it for a new one when the next version of the 10" hardware comes out? Yes. Do I mind likely taking a healthy loss on it when that happens? No, I bought first run hardware with eyes wide open... because WebOS makes sense to me.
    Last edited by Saltcreep; 06/30/2011 at 02:06 AM. Reason: inserted "..for a new one.."
  6. macdavepro
    My week went something like this:

_Cancelled initial pre-order of 16GB model.
    _Received email from HP $50 discount because of my Pre.
    _Re-pre-ordered, but this time a 32GB model.
    _Read first few reviews, freaked out, cancelled re-pre-order.
    _Read thisismynext, Engadget, and Ars reviews. Re-re-pre-ordered.

After some thinking a while my reasons for prefix abuse are as follows:

Palm's R&D budget was basically funded by an eBay account selling office furniture from the HQ, so they had to play a gnarly game of catch-up after the HP acquisition. Most reviews I've read acknowledge the potential of this product, and some were wise enough to reach-out to HP with their concerns. Knowing updates are on the way puts my mind at ease. I own handsets running all the other OS's, yet I still come back to webOS. I don't need an enormous app catalog full of useless apps and games I'll never play, or even hear of. My defense of the App Catalog, when asked by coworkers and friends, goes something like "it might not have as many apps, but I don't have to wade through crap to find something actually useful like you do."

I'm also an early-adoption addict, but a picky one. I'm used to unloading products at a (sometimes sizable) loss just to move on to a newer, shinier thing. I'm well-trained at it being a Mac user.
    Cosmicblue likes this.
    So today I've been reading all the reviews about the HP Touchpad and most of the reviews have been really negative towards the touchpad. Why is everyone bashing the touchpad and I don't understand why they hate it so much. Is anyone reconsidering purchasing the touchpad based on all these negative reviews??
    I will be the one using it so I will make the final decision. If you havent gotten a chance to play with one yet, I highly suggest you do so before pulling out your wallet... I'm still getting mine tomorrow(-ish)!
    If you are planning on buying one, GO LOOK AT IT. I cant stress this enough, take a look for yourself, if its not for you then don't get it. Maybe you do like android or apple better, and that's fine, but really its all about what you want. Don't base your judgement on reviews go look for yourself.
    kchan283 and PrinceAlbert like this.
    I'm going to best buy on Friday after work to play with one. If I love it then I will most definitely wait and buy the 3G version. I want one that i can take anywhere with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    *drum roll*

Because there's no 'Camera' app for the Touchpad yet. That's why.
    The way I look at it is, if you want a camera get a CAMERA. The touchpad, ipad, etc isn't going to take as nice of pictures as a 150-300 dollars camera will. -_-
    Not quite tracking the delivery man, but anxiously awaiting my chance to order on the HP EPP website. I must admit, part of that was so I could change my mind if anything deterred me in the reviews, but despite the Negative Nelly's, I'm all in for ordering on Friday.
    The only review I cared for was my own expereince from the Walmart demo. Still a day one buy for me.
    PrinceAlbert likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by chicagoproud View Post
    I'm going to best buy on Friday after work to play with one. If I love it then I will most definitely wait and buy the 3G version. I want one that i can take anywhere with me.
    Why not get the wifi version and freetether it to your Pre?
    I don't care about what they say anymore and I'm going to experience for myself.If you notice all the writers of the reviews never tell you to try it for yourself and then make a choice.They expect us to listen to what they say.This goes down to senses in a way.The To is to heavy to sum but then its just right to others.The plastic feels cheap but to sme its ok.Everybody senses are different.I was worried after reading reviews but then I noticed a pattern that wasn't deserved and it didn't feel like they were being completely honest.So I said I will try it out myself.I think you should do the same.
    I don't care about what they say anymore and I'm going to experience for myself.If you notice all the writers of the reviews never tell you to try it for yourself and then make a choice.They expect us to listen to what they say.This goes down to senses in a way.The To is to heavy to sum but then its just right to others.The plastic feels cheap but to sme its ok.Everybody senses are different.I was worried after reading reviews but then I noticed a pattern that wasn't deserved and it didn't feel like they were being completely honest.So I said I will try it out myself.I think you should do the same.
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    i feel like this tablet really shinned when working with the Pre 3...I don't own the Pre 3 and won't own this tablet.
    I thought the same and at the end decided to pick up a mifi. I already experimented with mifi and my tab for a week now. Its perfect and much more faster and you get to connect multiple devices and you can travel around world without worrying about sim.
    People has to understand webos to appreciate it.
    I thought the site was open for pre-ordering, at least it is in the UK with relevant discount...

theclares >>Not quite tracking the delivery man, but anxiously awaiting my chance to order on the HP EPP website. I must admit, part of that was so I could change my mind if anything deterred me in the reviews, but despite the Negative Nelly's, I'm all in for ordering on Friday<<
    Last edited by fubber; 06/30/2011 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Include original post
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast