View Poll Results: Are you still getting the TouchPad post-reviews?

Voters
270. You may not vote on this poll
  • Still Excitedly Tracking the Delivery Man!

115 42.59%
  • I'm still waiting on the 3G version, but yes.

11 4.07%
  • Having second thoughts

37 13.70%
  • I'll wait until I get some hands-on time.

37 13.70%
  • Not this TouchPad.

65 24.07%
  • I hate webOS. I'm just here to troll.

5 1.85%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes
    i was sincerely hoping the reviews would echo many of the preliminary thoughts on the Touchpad, in here and beyond, which were generally favorable. while i was most definitely going to pick one up this week or next, i have gone back to sitting on the fence. i can get over the software glitches (easily repaired with an update), and while i would prefer a slightly slimmer tablet (not that half an inch is fat) its really the apps things that bugs me the most.

if i buy this tablet anytime soon, it will be because i still freaking love webOS.
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Well, if we're taking the position that Samsung has already scrapped all future Android development...
    Hey, HP dropped the Windows Slate cold the moment they won the bid for Palm. If it is losing you money, it is losing you money.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    To me, it says the Galaxy Tab is more popular with tech blogs than with consumers. Why would they abandon Android unless Android isn't selling?
    Isn't the Galaxy Tab one of the most popular tablets? What about their Android phones? I don't see Samsung ditching Android any time soon. It would be pretty awesome if they made webOS devices in addition to Android though.

Anyway, this thread is getting a bit off track. We should get back on topic.
    No, despite my lust for a webos tablet this is not it. Software isn't there yet, but that and apps will come in time I think. My issues with the touchpad are more hardware related.

No hdmi out is huge, the single biggest hit against the touchpad for me. No usb host is the biggest. The poor state of the software (core apps and the appalling launcher) just bacl up my thinking that the device isn't ready and I will wait for the "plus" version.

I just hope the 7 inch version is beautiful and has the capabilities I need.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Proud Canadian owner of
    Palm Pre- WebOS 2.1 Sept 2009
    HP Touchpad WebOS 3.0 July 2011
    Palm Pre3 AT&T October 2011
    I actually think this is a more interesting tangent than going over TouchPad reviews. Is there a suitable thread for us to have this discussion?
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    To me, it says the Galaxy Tab is more popular with tech blogs than with consumers.
    ironically i think the Touchpad has potential to be just the opposite, unless you own or are already set on an iPad.
    I just can't believe some folks are canceling orders based on tech blog reviews. I encourage everyone who is on the fence of purchasing a TP to visit your local retail store. Review the device for yourself. I did this week and am picking mine up Friday at Frys.
    PrinceAlbert likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I know, but come on. That quote from Rubinstein is just insanity. That's like me going up to a girl with a successful lemonade stand and telling her "hey, I'll let you sell my mud but only if you stop selling the thing you actually make money on."

I'm not gonna lie... This is my first post on these boards and that was just ridiculous

Comparing webOS, an OS that has great reviews even from Engadget, CNET, and Thisismynext, to mud is absurd.

Rubinstein has a great point. Why would the brain child of Palm be spread thin like Android? Having a company, such as Samsung or HTC, problem solve whatever new issues arise and also manage Android with its multiple different versions and their slew of issues is just hilarious.

I'm not against having webOS on another company for their hardware, but it does have to stand independent. There will be less troubleshooting and more focused tactics to get the job done.

I think it should be Iced Tea...
    Quote Originally Posted by digitsnu View Post
    Clearly considering how well Samsung is taking care of it all...
    Taking care of what?
    I really want the 7" Opal and/or TP2 (assuming sometime next year). But these are my worries:
    1) Opal will be just like a smaller-screen TP, meaning, it's still thick and heavy.
    2) TP2 will still be behind the competition in terms of hardware size and weight. HP will constantly be playing the catch up game.
    I am honestly a little deflated regarding some of the aspects in the reviews (not just the reviews themselves), but I am going to keep my Amazon pre-order and file for my $50 rebate and enjoy possibly a great web experience, and pray that the email experience gets better (ability to add hyperlinks, in-text photos, etc). Homebrew will fill some gaps as they did with my Pre- and I will just adapt. Their still isnt a better 10" multi-tasking tablet (especially since Blackberry has no email and just announced that it will cancel its 10" tablet plans).

I might just go down and try to play with one this weekend if I dont get my tablet on Saturday (I know it says Tue, July 5th, but I am hopeful that they UPS man wants to enjoy his weekend by going out with a bang) and re-inflate my lost confidence.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    The reviews did take my excitement down a notch, but given that I'm a hopeless webOS fanatic with no purpose for reason... I'm still buying it.
    Stay Hungry. Satisfied people never change the World.
    With the confirmation of no hosting capabilities to support microUSB to HDMI and no word on ANY video out capability, yes, Ruby needs to go. He clearly hasn't a clue about the marketplace and is incapable of directing the mobile devices.

This TouchPad is nearly worthless to me. No video out kills all value. I'll be getting an iPad2 it looks like. Ugh.
    koolkid09 likes this.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Watched the Engadget review. That was embarrassing. The game going crazy and quick office not loading. And why cant they take photos with the front facing camera?

Looks like webOS is still laggy and on bad hardware.

Will wait to see what Samsung or HTC produce and if the OS finally gets optimized... 2014 I might be back.
    for what its worth, these are all 'review units' and might not necessarily be the same experience everyone unwraps on Friday.
    Quote Originally Posted by humblepie View Post
    Did you see the engadget video? Quick office wouldnt open and a game freaked out. Not very good.

But you go and enjoy!!
    not speaking for myself, but hardly a reason to cancel a preorder...
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    for what its worth, these are all 'review units' and might not necessarily be the same experience everyone unwraps on Friday.
    Then HP should have done what RIM did --- basically pushing 2-3 OS updates to the Playbook WHILE the newspaper reporters were reviewing them.
    I have learned over the years, there is no perfect os... None. And this comes from someone who has given an honest try to all mobile os's. At the end of the day, it comes down to what the end user needs and wants. Personally, I like webos the best, and I will get a touchpad, probably not launch day cuz lack of money lol, but soon. Hopefully it will be better optimized and a few more apps. But to all you naysayers, stop whining and get what works for you!
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    not speaking for myself, but hardly a reason to cancel a preorder...
    But the video was very xoom-like. Fired up Android app store, the xoom would crash. Fired up the youtube app, the xoom would crash. Fired up the video editing app, the xoom would crash.
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    But the video was very xoom-like. Fired up Android app store, the xoom would crash. Fired up the youtube app, the xoom would crash. Fired up the video editing app, the xoom would crash.
    I blame operator error. When Josh was at Engadget, he handled the major reviews. It probably would have gotten an 8/10 from him.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast