View Poll Results: Are you still getting the TouchPad post-reviews?

Voters
270. You may not vote on this poll
  • Still Excitedly Tracking the Delivery Man!

115 42.59%
  • I'm still waiting on the 3G version, but yes.

11 4.07%
  • Having second thoughts

37 13.70%
  • I'll wait until I get some hands-on time.

37 13.70%
  • Not this TouchPad.

65 24.07%
  • I hate webOS. I'm just here to troll.

5 1.85%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes
    I'm still buying it. Everybody that has used the demo units on this board make is sound good. I trust them more than the people making these published reviews.
    Quote Originally Posted by danh35 View Post
    I'm still buying it. Everybody that has used the demo units on this board make is sound good.
    honestly, would you expect any different? you should get reviews from sources as unbiased and reputable as possible.
    hb supporters always give good reviews,. good or bad, they are the defenders of webos
    I still think it's funny when the reviews (especially Engadget) keep pointing out the "chunkiness" of the tablet. What the hell? Are we that spoiled that a few millimeters are really a deal breaker? I don't give a damn what the reviewers say (although they had a few valid points: lack of apps), I still like operating my (patched) Pre- more than my desktop computer for God's sake. I am still excited, and it is only going to get better. I am not worried, because I think WebOS is groovy as hell.
    The End.
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    honestly, would you expect any different? you should get reviews from sources as unbiased and reputable as possible.
    That's not really nice... just because members who try it happen to like it, doesn't make their thoughts on it any less valid, or less reputable than anyone else's. I would suggest people try it for themselves before laying the smack down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    These reviews didn't highlight anything we didn't already know about the touchpad. It doesn't have a rear camera. It only has 300 "for touchpad apps" at launch. It doesn't run netflix. Its slightly heavier than its closest competition. I knew most of these items to be fact for a while. So why would these facts change my mind now?

Instead i'm basing my decision on my hands on experience. I went to best buy today and played with a touch pad and an ipad 2. the ipad "responded" faster when opening apps, but was really no quicker loading them.

the ipad was lighter than the touchpad, but i didnt find the touchpad to be too heavy after playing with it for about 45min.

the ipad is thinner than the touchpad, but the touchpad actually felt better to hold.

The email experience on the touchpad is better than the experience on the ipad. both calender have strengths and weaknesses.

the music app on the touchpad is as serviceable as the ipad one, but i cant speak for the syncing process. the precentral review is the only one i've seen so far that touched on this aspect of the device, and it leaves me a little worried.

the photos app is awesome on the touchpad. not quite as awesome on the ipad.

the messaging app on the touchpad uses synergy and will work with webOS phones. 'nuff said. the ipad doesn't

The touchpad performed without a hiccup. except for when the demo app started doing whatever it is that it does. The ipad didnt have any hiccups.

I found browsing the web to be pleasing on both devices, but flash pushes the touchpad over the edge for me. i go to a music website that uses flash and it worked flawlessly. it also played Hulu flawlessly (at least for now).

Just type>iOS search

at the end of the day my time with the touchpad didnt reveal anything new. It simply reaffirmed how much more i enjoy using WebOS features when compared to the competition.
    Now this is a good post. The reaction to reviews has been kinda funny to watch.
    let me rephrase then. you don't solely go to a fan forum when searching for fair assessments on products. it's like only watching fox news when you're already on the far right
    So far the reviews are what I expected, awesome=webOS phans, not so good=phans of Apple/Android, so it appears that the TouchPad is somewhere in the middle, not perfect but this is a new release with quick updates and more ups coming down the pike. So, yes I not canceling my order and am really excited and can't wait till my TouchPad arrives in a few days where I can make my own judgement of the device. BTW, IMO "having second thoughts" catagory and "I hate webOS, I'm just here to troll" catagory for the most part are one and the same.
    Cancelled my Amazon pre-order. Very bummed out.
    Having second thoughts. My main use for it was web browsing, and the reviews aren't too encouraging, especially concerning flash performance. I had one on pre order, but now I'm going to give the Galaxy tab 10.1 a second look. And even if flash performance on the 10.1 is no better, at least it has a great screen, is incredibly light and thin. And maybe check out WebOS again when the 7 inch HP comes out.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    <<mod delete>>

I found out about the reviews from this forum and because there is a lot of negativity here, I was worried. I read Josh's review and the Ars review and I feel good about the product. I was hoping for an 8/10 from Josh and I got a 7.5. I know as an early adopter things aren't going to be perfect but I enjoy using webOS and I want to see it improve. If I don't put my money where my mouth is, it won't happen.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 06/29/2011 at 10:17 PM. Reason: unnecessary
  12.    #32  
    For those who are considering the Galaxy Tab, I remind you of the news today that Samsung is considering using webOS on their tablets. How much support do you expect their Android tablets to get if that deal goes through. The TouchPad can improve from here; you may be looking at the final version of that Galaxy Tab.

Just something to think about.
    I was always going to re-evaluate my tablet need when the TouchPad 2 comes out.

Yet I don't think the reviews were that bad. It's being compared to second gen tablets. Still it gets 3.5/5 or 7/10 some people act like it's getting 1 star or 2/10 reviews.
    Are we really pretending Samsung is going to outright ditch Android for webOS?

Really?
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by draztikrhymez View Post
    I was always going to re-evaluate my tablet need when the TouchPad 2 comes out.

Yet I don't think the reviews were that bad. It's being compared to second gen tablets. Still it gets 3.5/5 or 7/10 some people act like it's getting 1 star or 2/10 reviews.
    That is something else I thought of earlier. The Veer was loathed by Engadget yet got a 6/10. They were indifferent about the TouchPad and it got a 7/10. Engadget is very inconsistent when it comes to ratings.

The thing that struck me the most is that both Mossberg and Topolsky said the TouchPad was "fun to use" even with the glaring imperfections. That "fun to use" might be the difference between a consumer buying a TouchPad than a Galaxy Tab. The average consumer doesn't carry around a set of calipers.

Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Are we really pretending Samsung is going to outright ditch Android for webOS?

Really?
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/29/h...amsung-tipped/

HP's Jon Rubinstein also dished a bit more on the subject to This is my next, noting that "if someone wants to really invest, and potentially help develop webOS, we're interested in talking to them," although he went on to indicate that HP isn't interested in playing second (or third) fiddle with a company primarily focused on Android or Windows Phone
    Samsung doesn't seem like the kind of company that will put all their money on one horse. I'm going to guess that even if they do license WebOS, they will still put out Android and even Windows 8 tablets.
    I know, but come on. That quote from Rubinstein is just insanity. That's like me going up to a girl with a successful lemonade stand and telling her "hey, I'll let you sell my mud but only if you stop selling the thing you actually make money on."
    Why would Samsung abandon their popular Galaxy Tab for webOS? Not trying to insult webOS, but Samsung already seems to have a great thing going.

How about this... We'll let you guys have Motorola.
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Why would Samsung abandon their popular Galaxy Tab for webOS? Not trying to insult webOS, but Samsung already seems to have a great thing going.

How about this... We'll let you guys have Motorola.
    To me, it says the Galaxy Tab is more popular with tech blogs than with consumers. Why would they abandon Android unless Android isn't selling?
    Well, if we're taking the position that Samsung has already scrapped all future Android development...
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast