Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
Like Tree121Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    It's free on my desktop. Isn't the point of an open-source program that you can't charge for it?
    Are you confusing QuickOffice with something else? QuickOffice is a line of mobile products that are all commercial.
    My favorite thing about these TouchPad reviews have been the unlikely references people are sneaking into them. Pogue did Don Quixote earlier. Now Gizmodo's doing Toni Braxton.
    Let me guess Apple paid them to write that review....

There's no nice way to say this: Shiz just plain doesn't work, far more often than it should. And there's no more guaranteed way to make something feel like a train wreck in slow motion than to make it run like it's a train wreck in slow motion. Apps can take foreeeeever to launch, even with just one or two cards open. (I once waited 20 seconds for screen settings to launch.) The gap between your touch and the TouchPad's response is occasionally so wide you could fit all of Transformers 3 in between it. (God help you if you try to tap multiple things while the TouchPad's deliberating its responses.) The Messages app was a consistent bag of hurt, refusing to deliver AIM messages, even as I kept receiving them. Email contents wouldn't show up, often up to 10 seconds after I opened a message. The HP app to get music onto your TouchPad is loathesome—pure HP, and sweet Christ I hope it's not a sign of things to come for Palm. (Speaking of: Where's the cloud music?) The fact that so much of the TouchPad is so good conceptually makes all of that far more painful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    No one, including HP stated the Touchpad would be superior to the ipad2.
    Why release it then? What's their selling point? At the very least, it should be on par (hardware wise).

As for inferior.. inferior to what? All tablets are inferior to the ipad2. I'm sure most of us know this by now. How you can say 1.2Ghz dual core CPU, 1 GB Ram, Beats audio, 18-bit IPS Screen with Oleophobic coating is inferior kinda baffles me.
    The build quality, size and weight, are subpar. Dual core 1.2 Ghz is nothing to write home about (is actually a standard feature of tablets now).

So lets put this into perspective here. Inferior to Ipad2 which everyone knew from the get go, to superior to the majority of android tablets on the market save a few like perhaps the Transformer which has quality control issues, or the Galaxy Tab.
    The Galaxy Tab has top-notch build quality. And isn't as jerky as the Touchpad software (which can be fixed with OTA updates). The Transformer is *cheaper*. All Android tablets got better screens...

As far as Apps are concerned, Apple crushes them all. For number of apps released native to the tablet, HP comes in second! So this lack of apps is really just BS.. unless we are talking about ipad2 and 1 apps.
    It isn't BS. Apps are an integral part of the experience, however, I partially agree, it was obvious this category was going to be dominated by the iPad. The thing is: The Touchpad is running a largely unknown OS (WebOS) vs two well known OS (iOS and Android), even more, the OS is sluggish and buggy, and the hardware is subpar. How is it going to get people on board (and therefore developers)?
    I don't see a slant in this article, I think he's being honest about his experience and actually wanted to write a glowing article about the TP but at the same time he had to be honest.

80% of complaints could be fixed with an update. It's just upsetting that either HP doesn't have a good beta testing department or they just don't care about these issues. It's upsetting either way.
    I was hoping as well that HP would be able to sell the tablet with its superior performance, but given the reviews and unless the next set of OTA updates improves performance (maybe try an RT linux kernel?), it looks like HP is going to have to rely on arm-twisting and using their massive enterprise sales team to get this bought by enterprises. I'm starting to doubt that, side-by-side with the iPad 2, it'll get many regular Joe buyers.
    I have only one question: guys and ladies, do you honestly think the device cost that kind of money the HP is asking?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    So it's an enterprise tablet specializing in vertical applications. Doesn't that mean it's DOA in the consumer and prosumer space?
    Actually, it's not an "enterprise tablet specializing in vertical applications". Did you read that on an iPhan site, or do you just make this stuff up as you go.

No, it's not a iPad. It's not trying to be. But it's also not DOA in the consumer and prosumer space. The iPhans are going to pretend it is, but that's because deep inside, they're worried that their "special place" is being invaded.
    i just read this review a little while ago. some of his comments were rather humorous but at the same time he seems grasping for straws. for example he seemed pretty ****ed that you couldn't double press the space bar to type a period. wow.. throw this thing out the window!

disagree as you might but i find the VAST majority of these reviewers are touching upon things that mainstream buyers will not even notice nor hardly care.
    lukehale likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    It's free on my desktop. Isn't the point of an open-source program that you can't charge for it?
    To be technically correct; no, that's not the point of open-source software. Vendors are free to charge for it, and to license it as they see fit, as long as they maintain the open source feature (that being that the source code is open).

Besides, QuickOffice isn't open source, I suspect you're thinking of Open Office.

That said, I'm almost positive I've seen references made to the editing features of QuickOffice being made freely available on the TouchPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-usp45 View Post
    I have only one question: guys and ladies, do you honestly think the device cost that kind of money the HP is asking?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    No, specially "no" because of the build quality. For the record, the iPad 32 GB 3G has a BOM + Manufacturing price of $336. I highly doubt HP costs as much (this is without considering R&D).
    This review feels very honest to me. He desperately wanted the TouchPad to be something that it isn't... yet.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    Let me guess Apple paid them to write that review....
    Don't you remember? Apple and Gizmodo haven't been on good terms since the iPhone 4 incident.
    apple basically paid everybody who doesn't like the touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    I think webOS 4.0 would be webOS savior
    You are joking right, please tell me you are joking........
    The only reviews I trust are of the WebOS fan boys, because they are like me, and they know what I want. Oh yes they do. They know it real good.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWLandfair View Post
    The only reviews I trust are of the WebOS fan boys, because they are like me, and they know what I want. Oh yes they do. They know it real good.
    This just sounds wrong....

Sent from my EVO Shift 4G
    Gizmodo review:

HP TouchPad Review: Unbreak My Heart

The good:

The major concepts and foundations for an amazing tablet are there, and they're all genuinely innovative and fantastic. Cards may be the perfect metaphor for multitasking. Notifications are excellent.
    The worst:

There's no nice way to say this: s h i t just plain doesn't work, far more often than it should. And there's no more guaranteed way to make something feel like a train wreck in slow motion than to make it run like it's a train wreck in slow motion. Apps can take foreeeeever to launch, even with just one or two cards open. (I once waited 20 seconds for screen settings to launch.) The gap between your touch and the TouchPad's response is occasionally so wide you could fit all of Transformers 3 in between it. (God help you if you try to tap multiple things while the TouchPad's deliberating its responses.)
    Conclusions:

You're stepping on my dreams, HP. The TouchPad is so close, closer than anything else, to being good. But it's also very, very far from it. Look, give this thing six months. It could be amazing. If it's not by then, well, I guess that says everything that needs to be said.
    clevin and IcerC like this.
    Derek's review was fairly unbiased and fair, he did point out the flaws of the touchpad but at the same time also pointed out the pro's as well. Which quite frankly the other reviewers such as Engadget failed to point out or jumped around them.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Isn't that the market HP is going after?
    Not at all. They are going for a wide swath of different users. Consumer, enterprise, and yeah, geeks too. But the latter is a small part of the picture.
    fxspec06 likes this.
Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast