Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
Like Tree121Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    That's true. The Wii was slammed in reviews as compared to the Xbox 360 and the PS3 and look how that went.

HP is going to sell a ton of these because they are HP. HP is targeting this to the business buyer. Is there anything in these reviews that would really turn off the business buyer?
    No powerpoint, even the ability to view them. But a birdie told me business dont use powerpoints now. No document editing ability, no video out for presentations. Hmmm I think the device is enterprise ready as the extra bulk and weight would prevent papers from flying away.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    So it's an enterprise tablet specializing in vertical applications. Doesn't that mean it's DOA in the consumer and prosumer space?
    Maybe. But it also means that it could end up being the recommended device for universities and governments due to the amount of control they would have over the device. iPad is an Apple product and plugging it into iTunes in order to load applications is inconvenient. Android is a little TOO open.

I hate to say this, but webOS really fits as the "Windows" of tablets. It is functionally similar to Windows in terms of how it treats open apps and the use of the Start Button, err, launcher. And it is positioning itself as the "businessman's" tablet.

If what you use at work is the TouchPad, you are more than likely to buy one for home use since you are already familiar with it.

Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    No powerpoint, even the ability to view them. But a birdie told me business dont use powerpoints now. No document editing ability, no video out for presentations. Hmmm I think the device is enterprise ready as the extra bulk and weight would prevent papers from flying away.
    QuickOffice will be updated in due time. The iPad didn't launch with a document editor and it cost an extra $30 to get them (first party solution). At least HP's is free.
    kchan283 and Sapient2k7 like this.
    Hi,

you can't go by me...as I'm not a huge fan of PP it is over used and frankly sometimes slow.....I totally dislike PP emails...my desktop is about a year old and was then top of the line with Win 7 and I still find PP emails slow it down something awful when you first go to open them....

Perhaps I dislike PP due to my type A personality!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Maybe. But it also means that it could end up being the recommended device for universities and governments due to the amount of control they would have over the device. iPad is an Apple product and plugging it into iTunes in order to load applications is inconvenient. Android is a little TOO open.
    You know, our own Martin Blank wrote a great post about this...let me see if I can find it.

Found it:

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    I wrote a paper for work telling them that the best replacement for our Blackberry phones is the iPhone, with Android a more distant possibility and WebOS not even close to being viable. How would you characterize me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    The overview was written and delivered in February and a synopsis was posted here in early March.

In short, webOS is too open without the requisite lockdown capabilities and doesn't have the enterprise management features that are so desperately needed to maintain control and security. At the time, encryption was not automatic, the VPN support was limited, and there was no way to prevent developer access. The hooks are so limited that mobility management platforms can do little more than set e-mail configurations and wipe the device, if they support it at all.

Apple has largely done it right, providing the necessary hooks for us to control just about everything. With at least one product, we can get not only the call logs but also the content of every SMS and MMS message sent or received within seconds of the transmission.

RIM is a close second, providing depth of control but it has the drawback of being a very closed and difficult to master platform for developers.

Enterprises ideally will be able to push VPN configurations, automate app deployment, restrict access to unwanted content, and generally do a whole lot of things remotely up to and including wiping the phone without the user's permission. So far, webOS provides so little that, unless we're content to use it for just e-mail and don't worry about anything else, we can't go with it -- and we need much more than just e-mail.

I am hopeful that HP has recognized this and is providing management functionality in imminent releases.
    QuickOffice will be updated in due time. The iPad didn't launch with a document editor and it cost an extra $30 to get them (first party solution). At least HP's is free.

Hi,

good point.

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    this is all really a bummer folks and I have just cancelled my order. So it seems HP released a bulky plastic device that is a finger magnet with really no apps and a worse battery life over most of the other tablets out there. Also, seems there are LOTS of bugs in WebOS 3.0 which is troubling as this was all announced 5 months ago.

This really sucks, but no matter how great I think WebOS is, I don't feel right dropping this kind of $$$ on a very sub-par device. Granted I have yet to play with one and believe me, I will spend lots of time with it before consider buying it again. Dang it.

For people that do not have or plan to have a Pre or Veer phone, this device seems to have zero value over others. Again, very discouraged right now.
    If I had not played with the Touchpad today and I had read all the reviews I would have a similar opinion, but today I played with a non-demo unit and I have to say these majority of reviews are CRAP. This UI is blazing and I wasn't planning on buying one but now I will ASAP.

I hate to say this, but webOS really fits as the "Windows" of tablets. It is functionally similar to Windows in terms of how it treats open apps and the use of the Start Button, err, launcher. And it is positioning itself as the "businessman's" tablet.

If what you use at work is the TouchPad, you are more than likely to buy one for home use since you are already familiar with it.

What makes you think quickoffice editing suite would be free? Plus like flash it may not come for another year.
    Let's keep one thing in mind: Leo has already said that TouchPad2 has moved over to the successful Laptop Division of HP for design. What you are looking at could be the last hurah for Palm. The next TouchPad could be completely different than this one.

Also, HP computers tend to get poorer marks than Apple PCs and yet HP still sells more of those.
    Hi,

very good points!

take care,

jay
    Quote Originally Posted by augustofretes View Post
    Stop trying to defend an irrational position... come on... The Touchpad is an inferior product, the OS itself has potential, but that's it. They may fix WebOS sluggish, buggy performance with OTA updates, but the hardware itself will remain subpar.
    No one, including HP stated the Touchpad would be superior to the ipad2. As for inferior.. inferior to what? All tablets are inferior to the ipad2. I'm sure most of us know this by now. How you can say 1.2Ghz dual core CPU, 1 GB Ram, Beats audio, 18-bit IPS Screen with Oleophobic coating is inferior kinda baffles me. So lets put this into perspective here. Inferior to Ipad2 which everyone knew from the get go, to superior to the majority of android tablets on the market save a few like perhaps the Transformer which has quality control issues, or the Galaxy Tab. As far as Apps are concerned, Apple crushes them all. For number of apps released native to the tablet, HP comes in second! So this lack of apps is really just BS.. unless we are talking about ipad2 and 1 apps.
    Another way to look at it. In seven months HP was able to duplicate what took Apple years to do. The TouchPad wasn't even in existence when HP bough Palm. HP not only managed to integrate Palm into the company, but also managed to design and ship a tablet with its own OS in a year.

Imagine what they can do going forward.
    this was actually funny. I think the passion folks out here show for WebOS is amazing and inspiring. However, there are some troubling patterns in the reviews that I feel are unacceptable for a product that came to the party so late. July 1, 2010 was the official close of HP acquiring Palm - that's one full year. If HP did so much in this time frame to match what Apple did in "years", then really this TouchPad is more in line with iPad1 and should be priced accordingly.
    Most reviews are saying that the beats audio (lol) may beat the ipad but its pretty much at the same clarity and volume as the tab 10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    No one, including HP stated the Touchpad would be superior to the ipad2.
    Number One Plus?
    I think Derek's Review of TP was outstanding, I read reviews at lot of sites, pogues, thisismynext.com, engadget and a whole lot others, and I came away more impressed by the effort Derek placed in the review than anybody else. Infact I was more impressed by his review than by the actual TP.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    For number of apps released native to the tablet, HP comes in second! So this lack of apps is really just BS.. unless we are talking about ipad2 and 1 apps.
    What is native?

If native means PDK, the TouchPad may have a handful of 3D games --- just like the Playbook.
    I agree - although I think he understand the advantage of webOS.

on holiday last week I played with my host's ipad and really missed the multitasking.

WebOS 3 will get polished, as will the apps.
    I think webOS 4.0 would be webOS savior
    Reading it now. Kinda sad how crackberry and precentral are the only ones in the smartphone experts who do indepth review. The AC honeycomb review was pitiful.
    Hi all,

It was pointed out to me a few minutes ago, that I'm posting only positive reviews.

It is quite possible that without realizing it, that I'm doing so.

However, I also want to add that when the Pre came out, there was a great deal of discussion about if overly negative reviews and comments on this site, scared people away from the Pre & webOS.

If I have been cherry picking reviews, all I can do is apologize.

In order the balance the beam of my sin, here is a negative review, yet it does mention the fact that the reviewer will gladly update his review as soon as there are upgrades to webOS 3.0 , which HP has stated will come along shortly. Most of her complaints are with performance & speed.

Please make sure you read the last two paragraphs:

Take care,

Jay

HP TouchPad, HP TouchPad Review: Not Ready for the Tablet Big Leagues
    HP TouchPad Review, by Melissa J. Perenson June 29, 2011

HP TouchPad Tablet Review | PCWorld

HP TouchPad: Where Does It Fit In?
    Many of the issues I've encountered--the performance problems, the bad Web-page handling, the poor text and graphics rendering, and perhaps even the off-base colors--may be addressable via software fixes in the future. Only HP's developers know the extent to which software updates can address the TouchPad's disappointments. Before today's launch, HP said that it had an update planned for a few weeks out, and that the update takes care of reported issues related to performance, autocorrection, device rotation, messaging, email rendering, and Web browsing. The company is also working with Skype to optimize performance.

I'll be keeping an eye on HP's over-the-air updates, and if the company addresses some of the launch issues, I'll update this review accordingly. Until then, the TouchPad will be a tough sell in comparison with Apple's dominant iPad 2, and even with the nearest Android rivals. Great-sounding audio output, a clean interface design, and the ability to print will not alone sell the TouchPad.
    What makes you think quickoffice editing suite would be free? Plus like flash it may not come for another year.
    It's free on my desktop. Isn't the point of an open-source program that you can't charge for it?
Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast