Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 17 ... LastLast
Like Tree121Likes
    those are all good reviews except for the parts that are negative
    I think Derek's review on the front page of Precentral is the best review just because of the circumstances. You know he wants to give it a glowing recommendation but he just can't bring himself to do it.

You can almost picture him listening to Put On A Happy Face while writing it.
    what are the circumstances u speak of
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    what are the circumstances u speak of
    spotty performance even with a dual core processor
    I thought the engadget review was fair and balanced, but you would be hard pressed to view it as positive with this conclusion:

Oh, happy day, when one first receives a device that's been eagerly anticipated for months. Sad, sad day when that device fails to live up to one's expectations. We all wanted the TouchPad to really compete, to give us a compelling third party to join the iOS and Android boxes on the ballot. But, alas, this isn't quite it.

The shortage of apps is a problem, no doubt, but that will change with time. What won't change is the hardware, and there we're left a little disappointed. Holding this in one hand and either an iPad 2 or a Galaxy Tab 10.1 in the other leaves you wondering why you'd ever be compelled to buy the HP when you could have the thinner, lighter alternative for the same money. Meanwhile, the performance left us occasionally wanting and, well, what is there to say.

If the Pre 3 were out today and if the TouchPad were $100 less we could maybe see giving it a go, if only to root for the underdog. But, as it is, you have to put your heart and two decades worth of Palm obsession ahead of any buying rationale. With such compelling alternatives readily available, that's asking rather a lot.

I love webos....and am a long-time Palm supported and owner...but they were going to have to slam it out of the park for this to be my tablet. Instead, it is apparently sluggish, takes nearly twice as long** to run JSJSJS $benchmarks$ $as$ $Ipad$ $2$ $and$ $GPad$ $10$.$1$, $weighs$ $more$, $is$ $thicker$, $and$ $lacks$ $apps$. $Think$ $you$'$ll$ $ever$ $see$ $HBOGo$, $MaxGo$, $Hulu$ $Plus$, $MLBTV$, $streaming$ $Netflix$, $and$ $other$ $premium$ $DRM$-$protected$ $content$ $on$ $this$ $device$? $Not$ $with$ $reviews$ $like$ $that$.

Dang. I was really hoping that Palm had a surprise in store, but they seem to have failed before they have started. We waited six months for this? It lags the GTab in almost every way...and that beast lags the IPad in many respects (and I say that as an Apple basher). I just see no way that this TouchPad is going to make a dent in this tablet space....and it takes a dent to get those providers of premium DRM content to take notice and expend resources to support your platform.

BTW, I played with an IPad 2 and GTab this weekend at BestBuy and was really shocked at how much laggier the GTab was than the IPad. Not huge lag, but definitely noticeable in the OS and browser. Heck, it was noticeable on the unlock screen.

Looks like Apple is still the one to beat.

** SunSpider JavaScript Benchmark:

Touchpad: 3,988ms
    GTab: 2,213ms
    iPad 2: 2,173ms
    Last edited by scuba_steve; 06/29/2011 at 09:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    I'm curious to know how you can say this with any certainty.
    If HP funcrions like the other 99% of big businesses, expect a "death by power point" meeting as they go over these reviews and discuss what needs to be fixed.

It's like me saying I know the sun is coming up tomorrow. I have no proof other than the fact that's what always happens.
    Hi all,

Here is a frank and fair evaluation of the the TouchPad. I have included a few paragraphs form the middle of a lengthy review. As always, I have supplied the link to the entire article...

Take care,

Jay

HP's new TouchPad shows worlds of potential in test drive.

By Edward C. Baig, USA TODAY

HP's new TouchPad shows worlds of potential in test drive - USATODAY.com

But if recent history is any guide, HP will have a tough time cracking a tablet market dominated by Apple. None of the individual tablets built around Google's Android operating system has made much of a dent going against the iPad, the device with which all comers are inevitably compared. Rubinstein concedes: "We're not going to beat Apple anytime soon. The issue is who is going to take the No. 2 spot."

Based on my evaluation, HP has a fighting chance. I actually prefer webOS to early Android tablets and believe it compares favorably to iOS in many respects. It's actually a terrific operating system for tablets. And the TouchPad, which I generally like, has a world of potential.

Potential means things are missing (movie and music stores, true GPS). I also encountered frustrating snags. On the first of two test units from HP, the built-in microphone didn't work, which meant I could be seen but not heard on a Skype video call. And while I could receive Skype video calls using the TouchPad's 1.3-megapixel webcam, I was unable to make outgoing Skype calls. Troubleshooting failed to resolve the issue by the time this column went to press.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    fxspec06 likes this.
    After reading the big names in tech (Mossberg, Topolsky) I get the feeling HP came very close to nailing it. They needed a grand slam but instead hit the top of the foul pole. It's so frustrating close to being the iPad challenger everyone has been looking for but it has these few nagging issues that are hard to overlook. The software issues are fixable thanks to OTA updates. But the hardware would have been a winner on February 9; not so much now.
    Hi all,

Here is another review of the TouchPad...for the most part is quite positive...they are concerned about apps...

Take care,

Jay

HP TouchPad debuts webOS for tablets

HP TouchPad debuts webOS for tablets

HP has released the first tablet that runs on Palm's well-received, but out-competed webOS. It offers an elegant user experience on a powerful mobile device, but a lack of apps and no rear-facing camera pose some hurdles for the tablet to succeed in a crowded market.
    6/29/2011 9:30:00 AM By: Brian Jackson

The tablet's solid black plastic shell gives the device an elegant look and is comfortable to grip. At 740 grams, it feels light to grip, though it is a bit heavier than the iPad 2's 601 grams.

The TouchPad is powered by a Qualcom Snapdragon dual-core 1.2 Ghz processor that edges out the speed of Apple's 1 Ghz dual-core A5 chip, and makes the tablet feel incredibly responsive and ready for multi-tasking. HP has balanced the tablet's capability to be a good fit for business and still attractive to consumers, though an app shortage will be its biggest challenge in the short term and the lack of a rear-facing camera to take photos and video may also deter some tablet shoppers.
    webOS 3.0 interface

Powered by Palm Inc's webOS gesture-based interface that HP acquired last year, the TouchPad is the first tablet to sport the mobile OS that has been popular amongst fans of Palm's more recent smartphones such as the Pre. While some of the gestures have been pared back for the larger tablet version of the OS, the interface still offers a fun and intuitive way to navigate the device.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    After reading the big names in tech (Mossberg, Topolsky) I get the feeling HP came very close to nailing it. They needed a grand slam but instead hit the top of the foul pole. It's so frustrating close to being the iPad challenger everyone has been looking for but it has these few nagging issues that are hard to overlook. The software issues are fixable thanks to OTA updates. But the hardware would have been a winner on February 9; not so much now.
    Hi all,

All companies that came out with a pad have the problem of being compared not to the Ipad but the the Ipad 2...this is a 1st gen being compared to a 2nd gen Ipad.

I like Walt Mossburg, don't get be wrong...but he is a bit of curmudgeon...

take care,

Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

All companies that came out with a pad have the problem of being compared not to the Ipad but the the Ipad 2...this is a 1st gen being compared to a 2nd gen Ipad.

take care,

Jay
    I guess TP -2 should only be compared to IP-2 and IP-3. Also 2 years out on iPhone, Apple had thousands more apps than two year out on webOS.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Hi all,

take care,

Jay
    Question is why is H/P always behind. Why is Samssung Tab not compared to IP-1, why is it compared to IP-2 and also stands on it's own.
    That's true. The Wii was slammed in reviews as compared to the Xbox 360 and the PS3 and look how that went.

HP is going to sell a ton of these because they are HP. HP is targeting this to the business buyer. Is there anything in these reviews that would really turn off the business buyer?
    Is there anything in these reviews that would really entice a business buyer?
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Consumer tech blogs say Apple builds the best PCs yet HP and Dell own the business market. I don't think they look for the same things consumers do. Consumers want to know if the TouchPad can play HD movies; businesses want to know if they can turn that function off.
    If you listen to what she says about why its not a good tablet it makes you think she is an ipad junky.She said because of the plastic feel and the apps are a reason why its not a good tablet. Is she serious?!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1SzN_q3r40
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Hi all,

There are a few other points to consider for the business or enterprise buyer....

1. HP has already stated that they intent to use the leverage of their enterprise clients for TouchPad sales....AKA..."Have I Got Deal For you"! Or "you buy this server or network for your firm and we will make a deal for TouchPads".....which leads me to:

2. Hp has also stated that they will if needed have apps written, pay to have apps ported or created for the TouchPad....to me that goes hand in hand with my first point just above...part of the leverage that HP has is that it has an on going relationship with so many huge enterprise clients....HP is going to or more than likely has already asked their enterprise clients what apps they need and is busy working on it themselves or having them written.

3. This gives HP a huge advantage over all other Pads or Tablets out there...HP has clients that are larger than most other firms can even dram of....

Take care,

Jay
    So it's an enterprise tablet specializing in vertical applications. Doesn't that mean it's DOA in the consumer and prosumer space?
    this is all really a bummer folks and I have just cancelled my order. So it seems HP released a bulky plastic device that is a finger magnet with really no apps and a worse battery life over most of the other tablets out there. Also, seems there are LOTS of bugs in WebOS 3.0 which is troubling as this was all announced 5 months ago.

This really sucks, but no matter how great I think WebOS is, I don't feel right dropping this kind of $$$ on a very sub-par device. Granted I have yet to play with one and believe me, I will spend lots of time with it before consider buying it again. Dang it.

For people that do not have or plan to have a Pre or Veer phone, this device seems to have zero value over others. Again, very discouraged right now.
    its a great OS suffering under Ruby, give it a solid hardware and hire more coders and trouble shooters
    kchan283 likes this.
Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 17 ... LastLast