Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1722232425262728 LastLast
Like Tree121Likes

Engadget probably had theirs for at least 48 hours and still reported spotty performance. Even now, there are threads for the new owners telling us how to improve things.

Oh, happy day, when one first receives a device that's been eagerly anticipated for months. Sad, sad day when that device fails to live up to one's expectations. We all wanted the TouchPad to really compete, to give us a compelling third party to join the iOS and Android boxes on the ballot. But, alas, this isn't quite it.

The shortage of apps is a problem, no doubt, but that will change with time. What won't change is the hardware, and there we're left a little disappointed. Holding this in one hand and either an iPad 2 or a Galaxy Tab 10.1 in the other leaves you wondering why you'd ever be compelled to buy the HP when you could have the thinner, lighter alternative for the same money. Meanwhile, the performance left us occasionally wanting and, well, what is there to say.

If the Pre 3 were out today and if the TouchPad were $100 less we could maybe see giving it a go, if only to root for the underdog. But, as it is, you have to put your heart and two decades worth of Palm obsession ahead of any buying rationale. With such compelling alternatives readily available, that's asking rather a lot.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Thats the point

out of the box then real world for like a week would be fair

i think all these people have Ipads

Opened up the HP touchpad

1 hour later had their mind made up its crap and never gave it a chance

really its their attitude that unless its Apple its not going to be any good

I've had to suffer the Apple ******* on ModMyI and had to leave after years of abuse

I got abuse anytime I had a problem with my Iphone and said it was poor design........

"How can the best be poor design?" is what I was subject too ( a lot uglier then that most times)
    I believe the bad reviews are because of the 'engadget syndrome' -any 'ol ***** figures himself a 'technology master' because he has bought the latest apple product and now has to tell the world why apple is awesome and everything else sucks because its not apple... They are blind to the positives of anything just because it hasn't sold as many, or doesn't have as many fart apps, or because it is .1lbs heavier... Who wants multi-tasking or flash in browser, or a usable interface when you have frat apps on a device that is lighter by a few oz (which, BTW, gets increased fast once someone adds a case to their ifad)

Just look at their articles about Tablet PC's (active digitizer based computers that have been around since forever and are great devices... Yet engadgnet puts them down because 'pens are old, Steve-O said so' ) but if a new android tablet is released with a digitizer pen as a $80 accessory it gets praised for being 'revolutionary' :trolleys:

EDIT: while touch typing this on my TP two people said basically the same thing... I think we may be onto something
    Tablet PC: HP 2730p [all the goodies: 2 slice batteries, slim dock, Intel X18-m 160GB, 8GB ram, ect...] | Toshiba Tecra M4 [Crucial M4 64GB SSD, 2GB ram, ect...]
    entertainment tablet: HP touchpad 32GB -sold it, it just doesn't cut the mustard-
    Quote Originally Posted by drfp View Post
    HP TouchPad: Everything you want to know | ZDNet

Now I bet with hundreds of thousands sold in a few days these stupid reviewers will now turn around and say how great the touch pad is why?

They lied in the beginning because they were biased Apple Ipad lovers
    Um, no. If you priced a Toyota Camry at $50,000, it'd get blasted as a piece of crap for that price point. If you then drop the price to $5,000 brand new, it'd get rave reviews as the best value for the money.
    beardedspoooon and ap3604 like this.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Um, no. If you priced a Toyota Camry at $50,000, it'd get blasted as a piece of crap for that price point. If you then drop the price to $5,000 brand new, it'd get rave reviews as the best value for the money.
    LOL a piece of crap is a piece of crap at any price

My Iphone 4 ( the best phone) crashes at least 1 to 2 times a month

I had to JB it to use features I like

Apple claims the crashes do not happen when I talk to the reps

Apple claims many untrue things

People have bought into the APple line of crap

Look Apple products are good but there are many other products that are good

Windows 7
    Just about never crashes
    I have had 0 viruses since 2005
    The report of viruses is a lie put forth by Apple mostly and stupid nontech people, the real problem are people using Windows XP with old outdated protection and firewalls off

I have even surfed to where I'm warned there are viruses and never got one

Most people think they know tech because they know where the on button is.

Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    They lied in the beginning because they were biased Apple Ipad NUTHUGGERS
    There, I fixed that for you.
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    untitled likes this.
    The reviews were fair it wasn't release with software up to snuff. Now because its a hundred dollars doesn't make the reviewers wrong. The plastic hardware is a little cheap and it does have performance issues out of the box. It's great that Pre central can fix hp problems but it's not a reviewers job to patch a device then review it. The OS is great once you update and tweak it with preware patches. Hp dropped the ball. This device failed in the market plain and simple. I think most reviews were fair. The hombrew team here is great and should have been hired by HP because these guys know how to fix web os.
    HP TouchPad: Everything you want to know | ZDNet

Now I bet with hundreds of thousands sold in a few days these stupid reviewers will now turn around and say how great the touch pad is why?

They lied in the beginning because they were biased Apple Ipad lovers
    Interesting. I left a comment on his review explaining the synching and Synergy. He thanked me for the comment.

I also left comments on about 70 youtube reviews clarifying many misconceptions and also talking about many options webOS has over their competitors "out of box"

As usual, this is an up hill climb.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yaggermr View Post
    The reviews were fair it wasn't release with software up to snuff. Now because its a hundred dollars doesn't make the reviewers wrong.
    Lets do this

Slow...........................wrong
    CHeap hardware...........wrong I have tried a few ANdroid POS and this is much better
    No Apps......................Right it was a mistake made by the stupid CEO
    Price too high...............OK but by the time most reviews were out the price was cut already and then we know what happened

How many years was IOS out before IPAD? This tablet was developed and WebOS was not out as long.

my big question here is why with all the billions HP has (Had) why they didn't hire some developers and build the apps the last 2 years for the store
    offer some really cool ones free?

HP is as fault but the hardware is not

I would give this tablet an 8 if the I pad is a 10

pretty good score for a tablet without a real large number of apps and needs tweaking
    Herk_FE likes this.
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    LOL a piece of crap is a piece of crap at any price

My Iphone 4 ( the best phone) crashes at least 1 to 2 times a month

I had to JB it to use features I like

Apple claims the crashes do not happen when I talk to the reps

Apple claims many untrue things

People have bought into the APple line of crap

Look Apple products are good but there are many other products that are good

Windows 7
    Just about never crashes
    I have had 0 viruses since 2005
    The report of viruses is a lie put forth by Apple mostly and stupid nontech people, the real problem are people using Windows XP with old outdated protection and firewalls off

I have even surfed to where I'm warned there are viruses and never got one

Most people think they know tech because they know where the on button is.

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    The official touch pad must has fast operating speed so that work should be quickly completes on the touch pad. And the speed of accessing internet and in downloading is also should be very fast. These are the basic features that a official touch pad must has to possess.
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Today I played with someone else's touchpad, I'm not chasing after one anymore. It has potential but needs work. Only thing it does better than the iPad is flash and I kinda like the dismissal of apps, not having to press the home button. And the cards, maybe when it gets more apps it will be more appealing. Netflix, Hulu, smurfs, tap zoo, pet zoo, logmein, google plus, twitter, nas apps, square. I hope the added user base gets the app catalog some more attention.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinmoons View Post
    Hi Guys,

I own a Pre+, an original iPad, iPod touch 3rd Gen, use a Galaxy Tab 10.1 at work, and just got my TouchPad 32GB from officedepot for $149. I'm no apple f-a-n-boy and I believe each platform has it's pros and cons and I'd like to share my personal experience here.

First off, for the $149 price that I got the touchpad, it's worth every penny. Period. I mean just the built in apps such as email, browser (with Flash support), photo app, etc. are worth the price. But let's remember that HP was hoping that this would have been a viable competitor to the iPad/Android tablets. So here are my thoughts on that:

Touchpad Pros
    • Flash support
    • Better user interface. I personally prefer the card metaphor to iOS and Android
    • Awesome speakers
    • Touchstone dock.
    • Best community. No snobby f-a-n-boys; just a great group of people willing to help out.
    • Just Type (or Make it so...). Love it. I also love how you can add search providers for just type. Really nifty.
    • Better virtual keyboard. I love the numbers at the top. Surprising how often you need them.
    • Notifications. Absolutely the best notification system, bar none.
    • Synergy. It just works. No need to setup your google account as an exchange server, etc. Just put in your username and password for your accounts and bam.
    • Wireless backup. It was really nice to have all my apps from my Pre+ show up on my Touchpad when I did a restore. Fast and simple.

Touchpad Cons
    • Lack of apps. We all know this one, but it's a crippling factor. On the iPad I mainly use iThoughtsHD (mindmapping), Netflix, ThinkBook (task management), iBooks (for viewing PDF's), OPlayerHD (video player), and some music apps. All of those apps are absolutely solid and gorgeous. Sadly I can't find anything comparable in the HP app catalog. HP should've done the fire sale pricing from the start to attract more apps. Curse you HP. Going through the app catalog is literally getting me depressed. Ugly icons for lousy apps. Sad.
    • Sluggish. I was honestly expecting the touchpad to be faster, but sadly it isn't. Screen rotations take seconds, which is ridiculous. Try that on an iPad or Galaxy Tab 10.1 and it's pretty much instantaneous. So far, I've waited up to 5 seconds for the screen to rotate in some cases. This is mainly in card view, and I can understand that having multiple cards open can be a big burden, but even inside apps, screen rotation is much slower.
    • Screen sensitivity not so accurate. I find myself tapping up to three times on stuff till it registers correctly. Never had this issue on iOS or android. I did install the Preware hacks which has improved things a bit, but still noticeable.
    • No hardware accessories. Granted you can get the touchstone dock and the keyboard, but beyond that, nothing. On my iPad I frequently use the Camera Connection Kit to transfer pics from my camera and I also use the VGA out to connect the iPad to my TV. Sadly, no such thing for the TouchPad.
    • Form factor. It's a bit heavier than the iPad and you can definitely feel it. Also, it's not very ergonomic and is a bit awkward to hold. I have rather small hands so this will be different for different people.
    • Battery. The iPad's battery just shines, but I'm noticing the Touchpad dying about 2.5 hrs faster.

I re-iterate my first point that at the $149 price, the Touchpad is absolutely worth it, but there is no way that it would've made it as a competitor to iOS and Android. HP really, really, really screwed this whole thing up with their initial pricing, promotion, and the current fiasco. I still love WebOS and really hope that it can survive, especially with all the touchpads in the hands of consumers now.
    Nicely summed up, my thoughts exactly apart from the observations about it being sluggish.

After patching and overclocking I am quite impressed by the responsiveness, although I have not used an iPad for comparison.

The lack of apps is a real pain but the homebrew community is really to be admired and it's nice to tweak around without the restrictions of the iOS World.

Over the last few days I've been browsing away and chucked movies, eBooks, Magazine PDFs and SNES images at it, all performed very well.

The non-techie OH initially seemed skeptical that I bought another gadget 'because it was a bargain' then she started to use it and has become a convert.

In short, I am really happy with the $150 outlay and hope to see more development in the future (supporting more video formats (for no outlay) would be good for a kick off), if this doesn't happen then I will still be a happy camper.
    When I got my Touchpad on July 1st, after the initial set-up, it was buggy and sluggish. I left it connected to the internet for the first day. After that I never had a problem with it. I figured it was Synergy getting its bearings. I made comments here and on some of the review sites that they needed to let the Touchpad "break itself in" for a short period. That fell on deaf ears with the reviewers and I was panned by other readers in the comments section.

I started a thread here asking other Touchpad owners to correct bad reviewers in their comments section and to give their own reviews about the Touchpad. I panned the reviewers for parroting the first review that came out, not doing a full comprehensive review, and comparing the Touchpad to the iPad based on the iPad's strengths without taking into account the Touchpad's strengths. My thread was overrun by iPad owners attacking me for questioning the reviewers.

For some reason the Touchpad was the device that everyone loved to hate. There was always something wrong with it. That something was always someone else's bias. Reviewers hated it because it didn't have a rear camera even though they all admitted that a rear camera on a 10 inch tablet was useless and that the iPad1 sold in the millions without one. They panned the plastic back as cheap and a fingerprint magnet, even though the iPad1 and most Android tablets have plastic backs that everyone covers up with a case. They panned the thickness and weight without mentioning wireless charging and touch to share but they got all gaga when they thought Apple was working on adding the same features to their devices. Some complained about the screen quality, even though it is the exact same screen that is on the iPad and iPad2. They said that the processor was slow even though it is faster than both the iPad and iPad2's processor. They panned the lack of video out although they didn't complain about that for the original iPad. When I complained about that after one review the reviewer and his followers wondered aloud who would need video out on a 10 inch tablet anyway. Amazing how that turned around after Apple added video out to the iPad2.

I've been a tech junkie for almost 20 years. The initial Touchpad reviews will go down in history for me as being some of the most uninformed and biased reviews I have every seen. Way worst than the Linux vs Windows reviews from the last decade. I'm glad there are new owners around to form their own opinions about the device. I'm just shocked that now that it is selling out reviewers are trying to cover their tracks and say good things about it. Hypocrites......

Edit: I think the initial reviewers are afraid that the massive number of new Touchpad users will question the bias of the their reviews and they might lose a little credibility. Its easy to pan a few voices as being blind webOS enthusiasts but you can't easily do that with the many voices out there today. I also did not mean for this to be flame bait for die hard Apple fans. I love my iPod. However, you have to ask yourself this question "if the Touchpad had a half bitten piece of fruit on the back of it would it have been considered ordinary or revolutionary?".
    Last edited by k4ever; 08/27/2011 at 08:53 AM.
    cjf243 and touchpaddude like this.
    Great summary @ K4ever!!!!

I got one of the "firesale" Touchpads, did the preware mods and overclocked it and for the price, its great, does just what I need as a secondary tablet... Oh and just a correction on something.....The original Ipad's have aluminum backs, not plastic.....
    The weekend of the "firesale" I was about to go out and buy a second Android tablet. I have an Acer Iconia and I was going to go buy me a Toshiba Thrive because my son would monopolize the Acer to use as an ereader. I figured for $99 the most I really needed it to was be an ereader and some web and email would be a bonus. He was used to using the Kindle app on Android and on the HP I couldn't just load in mobi files like I could on Android. However, I was able to get him going by using pReader. The more I played with and read up on the HP the more I liked it. I have now switched tablets and put him back on the Acer and I'm using the HP. There might be times I miss the Acer (a few apps here and there) but for the most part I'm really happy with the HP. If I can one day dual boot Android I will be ecstatic. I would very much like to see apps for Netflix (then I might actually subscribe), HBO GO (though the web site works decent enough) and Word Feud. My biggest complaint is lack of connections. I'd like a USB and HDMI two reasons I bought the Acer over the Asus. However, after using them for a while I put more value on the higher quality screens of the HP and Asus.

For now I'll keep playing Word Feud on my EVO (rooted with WiFi tether :-D) and save money by not subscribing to Netflix.
    I got mine on Monday and I just love it!!! I've had my Palm Pre since August 09 and been a fan of WebOS since then. I was going to wait for a TP for Xmas to see if the price would go down a bit. I did tried one at BB, but the one on display was awful. It wasn't connected to wifi so I used my free tether app to connected, but the unit was extremely slow and it crashed 3 times. I was very disappointed... But now that I got mine, it's completely the opposite. It's very responsive and fluid, I'm very content with my TP, and for $100 you can't go wrong. I believe that the demo units were affected by the pre-installed video they had and that's why they were overlooked by so many. I really do recommend getting one, even at $200 on eBay it's a great buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dionte View Post
    Today I played with someone else's touchpad, I'm not chasing after one anymore. It has potential but needs work. Only thing it does better than the iPad is flash and I kinda like the dismissal of apps, not having to press the home button. And the cards, maybe when it gets more apps it will be more appealing. Netflix, Hulu, smurfs, tap zoo, pet zoo, logmein, google plus, twitter, nas apps, square. I hope the added user base gets the app catalog some more attention.
    I hope that persons tp had the updated OS. I updated last night and there is a significant difference.

I also own an iPad, and its nowhere near as polished, but for $99... Its a great deal. I think the max they could have charged for this thing and have been successful is $199.
    I wasn't fortunate enough to pick up a touchpad at fire sale prices but I found a 32gb model on ebay for $245 so I jumped on it and have not been disappointed yet. Since its arrival on Friday I haven't been able to put it down. I tried it out for a few hours stock and it was no where near as bad as the reviewers made it out to be, and after overclocking and patching this thing flies, who needs apps when you have the full web at your disposal. Hulu works great and I've had no problems with watching ESPN on it, as far as game are concerned that's what I have a gaming rig for. As I type this on my Touchpad I can't help but notice how responsive the keyboard is, I didn't even bother switching to the Bluetooth keyboard. The community that supports webOS is just as important a feature as any app you can download and being able to customize your device the way you want is a huge plus. While I've only had my touchpad for a few days now I can state with confidence that I would purchase it again. I had planned on purchasing one after I saved enough but the sale made it possible to buy now. Hopefully I'll be able to buy one for my girlfriend when HP releases the next batch because I'm getting tired of sharing. I only wish HP would've sold these closer to cost to build up a user base and then sell a higher tiered model to compete with the iPad later on. It's too bad US users won't get a chance to pair one up with a non hamstrung pre3. That's my two cents.