Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162122232425262728 LastLast
Like Tree121Likes
    Hi all,

FYI. Please see the enclosed link for the balance of this article.

Take care,

Jay

Law.com Review: The HP TouchPad
    HP's new tablet is a solid choice for the legal industry

Jonathan Ezor All Articles
    Law Technology NewsAugust 11, 2011

Review: The HP TouchPad

As law firms and in-house law departments face an ever-more mobile workforce, desktop PCs have given way to laptops -- and those in turn are rapidly being replaced or supplemented with tablets. The tablets' combination of portability, daylong battery life, and functions almost as versatile as a laptop is potent -- yet significant security and management issues remain.

Until recently, the major decision for legal IT professionals seeking to integrate tablets into their workplace has been choosing between the two major mobile operating systems: Apple's iOS (running iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch products) and Google's Android. Newer competitors, such as Research in Motion's BlackBerry Playbook and Microsoft's Windows Phone, are trying to make inroads, but have not done so in any significant way.

This July, a new competitor came to the market, from a well-known player: the TouchPad tablet from Hewlett-Packard, running version 3 of HP's Linux-based webOS (the operating system it acquired when it purchased smartphone pioneer Palm 12 months earlier).
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Here's a fairly detailed review of the TouchPad from Tom's Hardware.

HP TouchPad Review: A Tablet For Productivity?

Enjoy...
    Palm III --> Palm IIIx --> HandEra 330 --> Palm T|T3 --> HP TouchPad 32G
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSpam View Post
    Here's a fairly detailed review of the TouchPad from Tom's Hardware.

HP TouchPad Review: A Tablet For Productivity?

Enjoy...
    That's an extremely detailed and well written review. Interesting how the display got really high marks compared with the competition. With photography being a hobby of mine, knowing that the TouchPad display accurately renders color to Adobe spec is great to know.
    Below are many reviews by actual customers that purchased and have used the TouchPad.

So, check it out, click below,
    Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: HP TouchPad Wi-Fi 32 GB 9.7-Inch Tablet Computer
    This is better than a review:

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    I have an ipad 2. I bought the touchpad honestly because of the price. I am amazed how much i love webOS. Im actually disappointed yet thankful that hp gave up so fast so i could get one as I couldnt afford both otherwise. I think the market could support both. If anything i am burned out on android. I have a droid incredible phone. I think webOS brought something unique to the table and i learn new things everyday. I love my ipad 2 and i love my touchpad. I hope the future is bright for webOS cause i am truly inpressed. I hope HP gets someone onboard. To quote a movie you had me at hello or weeeeeeeee lol
    Can't say I'm thrilled with the touchpad. Biggest gripe...the tiny 1/2 second lag after you touch the screen and start moving your finger. You immediately notice a lack of response, then a little jerk. It gives me a headache and lets me know that any gaming or photo manipulation are NOT going to be fun. Then there's the missing SD card and proprietary charger...it won't charge of my other USB cords!!! Finally the sticky/icky finger printy thing itself. But for $99...I'll put up with it!
    Quote Originally Posted by riccardocarchedi View Post
    Can't say I'm thrilled with the touchpad. Biggest gripe...the tiny 1/2 second lag after you touch the screen and start moving your finger. You immediately notice a lack of response, then a little jerk. It gives me a headache and lets me know that any gaming or photo manipulation are NOT going to be fun. Then there's the missing SD card and proprietary charger...it won't charge of my other USB cords!!! Finally the sticky/icky finger printy thing itself. But for $99...I'll put up with it!
    huh? It's not like that with all UI elements. Try playing angry birds. It plays exactly like on the iPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by riccardocarchedi View Post
    Hi all,

Dear Sir,

If you dislike the TouchPad so much, why not return it, instead of ruining the forum for the rest of us?

take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    or better yet, just sell it to me at break-even.
    LMAO!

Take care,

Jay
    You know, I've been reading a LOT of user reviews of our TP today. Most of which were written by what seemed to be Apple ******* & fangirls. Almost every single one I read had basically the same things t say, "easier to use than iOS" "love the ability to TRULY multi-task" "the WebOS really 'Gets It'" "with iOS it's like you're on the outside looking in, but with WebOS it's like the Matrix has you and you can do basic functions without even thinking about
    them"

So my question is this: Why couldn't we hear these types of insightful and objective reviews from the people who get paid to write things that everybody else pays attention to? You know. The tech bloggers, tech editors and other professional product reviewers.

Now I could put on my cynical hat and just chalk at all up to Apple fanboyism (which I am certain did play a huge role). But a bigger part of me just wants to be naive and ask, "Can't we all just get along?".

Why should it have to take a complete Apothekerlyps of our brand in order for the world to finally be shown how awsome (and in this humble users experience, just plain superior) our OS is when contrasted with the market leading iOS?

Why would the paid reviewers not bother to take time and really get to know WebOS? Was it because their bias prevented them from giving it a fair shake? Or perhaps they actually did discover (in fairly short order) that WebOS trumps iOS in more ways than one, but had their heads too deep in the iSand to allow their pens to write about how Apple has a very real challenger in WebOS?

Either way, I count it as one huge loss. A loss for those of us who love Palm products, and a loss for those who will never get a chance to experience one in the future.

Pour one out fo' 'da WebOS hommies ya'll.
    Last edited by Renderhaus; 08/25/2011 at 01:16 PM.
    ilovedessert and giggles like this.
    Hi Guys,

I own a Pre+, an original iPad, iPod touch 3rd Gen, use a Galaxy Tab 10.1 at work, and just got my TouchPad 32GB from officedepot for $149. I'm no apple f-a-n-boy and I believe each platform has it's pros and cons and I'd like to share my personal experience here.

First off, for the $149 price that I got the touchpad, it's worth every penny. Period. I mean just the built in apps such as email, browser (with Flash support), photo app, etc. are worth the price. But let's remember that HP was hoping that this would have been a viable competitor to the iPad/Android tablets. So here are my thoughts on that:

Touchpad Pros
    • Flash support
    • Better user interface. I personally prefer the card metaphor to iOS and Android
    • Awesome speakers
    • Touchstone dock.
    • Best community. No snobby f-a-n-boys; just a great group of people willing to help out.
    • Just Type (or Make it so...). Love it. I also love how you can add search providers for just type. Really nifty.
    • Better virtual keyboard. I love the numbers at the top. Surprising how often you need them.
    • Notifications. Absolutely the best notification system, bar none.
    • Synergy. It just works. No need to setup your google account as an exchange server, etc. Just put in your username and password for your accounts and bam.
    • Wireless backup. It was really nice to have all my apps from my Pre+ show up on my Touchpad when I did a restore. Fast and simple.

Touchpad Cons
    • Lack of apps. We all know this one, but it's a crippling factor. On the iPad I mainly use iThoughtsHD (mindmapping), Netflix, ThinkBook (task management), iBooks (for viewing PDF's), OPlayerHD (video player), and some music apps. All of those apps are absolutely solid and gorgeous. Sadly I can't find anything comparable in the HP app catalog. HP should've done the fire sale pricing from the start to attract more apps. Curse you HP. Going through the app catalog is literally getting me depressed. Ugly icons for lousy apps. Sad.
    • Sluggish. I was honestly expecting the touchpad to be faster, but sadly it isn't. Screen rotations take seconds, which is ridiculous. Try that on an iPad or Galaxy Tab 10.1 and it's pretty much instantaneous. So far, I've waited up to 5 seconds for the screen to rotate in some cases. This is mainly in card view, and I can understand that having multiple cards open can be a big burden, but even inside apps, screen rotation is much slower.
    • Screen sensitivity not so accurate. I find myself tapping up to three times on stuff till it registers correctly. Never had this issue on iOS or android. I did install the Preware hacks which has improved things a bit, but still noticeable.
    • No hardware accessories. Granted you can get the touchstone dock and the keyboard, but beyond that, nothing. On my iPad I frequently use the Camera Connection Kit to transfer pics from my camera and I also use the VGA out to connect the iPad to my TV. Sadly, no such thing for the TouchPad.
    • Form factor. It's a bit heavier than the iPad and you can definitely feel it. Also, it's not very ergonomic and is a bit awkward to hold. I have rather small hands so this will be different for different people.
    • Battery. The iPad's battery just shines, but I'm noticing the Touchpad dying about 2.5 hrs faster.

I re-iterate my first point that at the $149 price, the Touchpad is absolutely worth it, but there is no way that it would've made it as a competitor to iOS and Android. HP really, really, really screwed this whole thing up with their initial pricing, promotion, and the current fiasco. I still love WebOS and really hope that it can survive, especially with all the touchpads in the hands of consumers now.
    Last edited by twinmoons; 08/25/2011 at 01:18 PM.
    for those complaining about sluggishness, you may want to read this thread for patches to apply, my TouchPad is responsive (also you may wish to look into uberkernel after you've used the patches for a while):

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...oldtimers.html

I find the apps on the TouchPad gorgeous. And the multi tasking, speakers and ability to run full desktop software in ubuntu key to the work I do.
    Companionlink tweeted also today that ACT! syncing via USB with 2.0 and above will be available soon.
    I got my TouchPad yesterday morning and have been tinkering with it since; downloading apps, installing tweaks, overclocking to 1.5GHz, transferring my photos/videos/music, etc.

I have played with the iPad 2 plenty of times and I can say without a doubt I enjoy the TouchPad MUCH more. WebOS itself is much more open and more visually appealing than iOS in my honest opinion. There's less apps on the TouchPad, but there are some REALLY good ones to say the least. The comparable version of my 32GB TouchPad in iPad form costs $600, and that automatically makes me prefer the TouchPad.

Once I updated to 3.0.2, installed the tweaks to stop logging, and overclocked to 1.5GHz this thing became a BEAST. The lag that comes with it on the default operating system is nearly gone and it's such a pleasure to use now. Adding in the "Camera for Touchpad" app and you've finally got use of that front facing camera as well! On another note, the battery life is holding up much better than I expected it to. I've been playing with it for the past 5 hours on and off (watching videos, listening to music, downloading/installing apps) and I've only lost 12% of my battery, pretty good I'd say. Speaking of music, the speakers (coupled with Beats audio) are FANTASTIC. They sound so full and rich with sound quality.

I have yet to find a problem with the tablet that I cannot fix with a tweak or an app, and that makes extremely pleased. Had it been priced at $300 from the start, this thing could have seriously sat comfortably at the 2nd place spot in the tablet market. I know the hardware devision is over with, but I hope the software doesn't end up being abandoned, especially with these 500,000 new WebOS tablet owners.
    Quote Originally Posted by joshwithachance View Post
    I got my TouchPad yesterday morning and have been tinkering with it since; downloading apps, installing tweaks, overclocking to 1.5GHz, transferring my photos/videos/music, etc.

I have played with the iPad 2 plenty of times and I can say without a doubt I enjoy the TouchPad MUCH more. WebOS itself is much more open and more visually appealing than iOS in my honest opinion. There's less apps on the TouchPad, but there are some REALLY good ones to say the least. The comparable version of my 32GB TouchPad in iPad form costs $600, and that automatically makes me prefer the TouchPad.

Once I updated to 3.0.2, installed the tweaks to stop logging, and overclocked to 1.5GHz this thing became a BEAST. The lag that comes with it on the default operating system is nearly gone and it's such a pleasure to use now. Adding in the "Camera for Touchpad" app and you've finally got use of that front facing camera as well! On another note, the battery life is holding up much better than I expected it to. I've been playing with it for the past 5 hours on and off (watching videos, listening to music, downloading/installing apps) and I've only lost 12% of my battery, pretty good I'd say. Speaking of music, the speakers (coupled with Beats audio) are FANTASTIC. They sound so full and rich with sound quality.

I have yet to find a problem with the tablet that I cannot fix with a tweak or an app, and that makes extremely pleased. Had it been priced at $300 from the start, this thing could have seriously sat comfortably at the 2nd place spot in the tablet market. I know the hardware devision is over with, but I hope the software doesn't end up being abandoned, especially with these 500,000 new WebOS tablet owners.
    Hi,

thank you, even though I don't have a TouchPad, I've passed the info to friends who do.

take care,

Jay
    I've been playing around with my TP for about a 5 days and love it! I was lucky to get a 16 and 32 at the local Wally World. I overclocked mine to 1.7ghz and it is really flying now. Super easy to do. I believe if HP would have had better marketing this may have really taken off. I am checking the HP web site to try and get another one.
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chungpe84s View Post
    The many crashes worry me...
    If you read my posts around this board I am far from a touchpad defender but I can honestly say I have heard 0 reports of crashes on Touchpads thus far.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by herk_fe View Post
    If you read my posts around this board I am far from a touchpad defender but I can honestly say I have heard 0 reports of crashes on Touchpads thus far.
    I can get it to crash (ie. web browse cannot load pages anymore, even after closing and restarting in the GUI) a few times in 30 mins. Goto youtube or other flash site and view a few videos in full screen. After watching a few and closing browse, the browser will just hang going to other sites such as google,yahoo,cnn etc
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    HP TouchPad: Everything you want to know | ZDNet

It is hard to believe the HP TouchPad has only been around for a few weeks given the checkered past it has already lived. It went from also-ran to the top seller on Amazon in days, and according to some estimates has sold hundreds of thousands of units in the last week. Based on the correspondence I am receiving from new TouchPad owners I believe those figures may be accurate.

Many of these new TouchPad owners are craving for information about their new tablet, and many questions I am spending hours each day answering are in fact answered in articles I wrote before the bizarre scenario played out. It seems like a good idea to gather all of my articles about the HP TouchPad together in one place for easy reference.

One reason that early reviews of the TouchPad routinely panned the device for poor performance out of the box was due to the way webOS handles the initial Synergy syncing. Synergy brings together all of the userís social networks, email and contacts from all over the web so the TouchPad can do useful things with them. Unfortunately, this initial syncing in the background can take a day or two if enough accounts are configured, and there is nothing that can be done about the performance hits while the syncing is taking place. Once the syncing completes the performance becomes pretty good, so let it happen and expect possible lagginess in execution for the first day or so. Things get much better after that.

Now I bet with hundreds of thousands sold in a few days these stupid reviewers will now turn around and say how great the touch pad is why?

They lied in the beginning because they were biased Apple Ipad lovers