Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 15202122232425262728 LastLast
Results 481 to 500 of 542
Like Tree121Likes
  1. #481  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    this has been posted twice today. All we are doing is generating page views for this hack job.
    Now three times.

    <<another thread merged>>
  2. #482  
    Hands on HP TouchPad

    Comments open and welcome
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

  3. Herk_FE's Avatar
    Posts
    63 Posts
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    #483  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    Hands on HP TouchPad

    Comments open and welcome
    Bought mine this weekend and feel pretty similar to the reviewer. When I get back from this trip my touchpad is going back to staples. I know bashing this thing is apostasy here but I just don't get the love and rave reviews I am seeing here. The OS feels clunky, the adobe reader is laggy, you can't load your own e-books, you can't edit documents, you have 10 games to choose from and only 3 are free, the facebook app despite the reviews is very buggy to me I can't even access my groups from within it (yet I can do that on my android phone?). The OS has great potential but the browser, apps, and clunky feel of the tablet kills any hope I have for this thing.

    I will say the beats audio is outstanding and I am very pleased with the sound this thing puts out. Sadly I am forced to use a terrible music app to play audio and there is no built in video player to speak of. What was HP thinking? Anyone? Bueller?

    Feel free to provide me a compelling reason to keep it and I will happily entertain you, but after 48hrs of continued use I am not impressed at all.
  4. ecb1171's Avatar
    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    #484  
    @dbmgreen,

    I have to agree with you. I purchased the TouchPad yesterday on the basis of the $200 price reduction at Staples and all the positive reviews I read regarding the 3.0.2 firmware update.

    I also have an iPad2, but I have been a fan of webOS since I stood in line to get the Palm Pre the day it first came out. I eventually abandoned webOS because the hardware was poor and Sprint's coverage in my area turned out to be worse than it looked on the coverage map. I tried webOS again with the Palm Pre+ on Verizon, but abandoned it due to the faulty GPS (though that was Verizon's fault, not Palm)

    After a day of heavy use, I'm pretty disappointed. I have no problem with the lack of apps as there is an amazing Facebook app, good Twitter client and even a Citrix Receiver application. Not having a document editor was a concern, but I figured I could get by.

    What I didn't expect was how slow everything is. It takes 15 seconds to open the mail application sometimes (other times it takes 5 seconds) The web browser is horribly slow and doesn't render pages correctly when the Touchpad is in a portrait mode (for an example go to bgr.com in portrait and the web page is cut off on the right side and there are missing pictures in both portrait and landscape) I had hoped to use Google Docs, but the lag in the browser makes that a difficult task. I was able to watch shows on Hulu that didn't look horrible, but they didn't look great (choppy)

    WebOS is still as innovative as it ever was. Stacks and Just Type are killer features and both notifications and multitasking on webOS are better than any other platform. The hardware is great and webOS should fly on a dual core processor with 1GB of memory, but it doesn't.

    I'll keep the TouchPad right up until the last day that I can return it to see if there's another update that helps with the system lag but, strictly on performance, the Touchpad is ahead of Android, but well behind the iPad2.
    Herk_FE likes this.
  5. #485  
    Quote Originally Posted by herk_fe View Post
    Bought mine this weekend and feel pretty similar to the reviewer. When I get back from this trip my touchpad is going back to staples. I know bashing this thing is apostasy here but I just don't get the love and rave reviews I am seeing here. The OS feels clunky, the adobe reader is laggy, you can't load your own e-books, you can't edit documents, you have 10 games to choose from and only 3 are free, the facebook app despite the reviews is very buggy to me I can't even access my groups from within it (yet I can do that on my android phone?). The OS has great potential but the browser, apps, and clunky feel of the tablet kills any hope I have for this thing.

    I will say the beats audio is outstanding and I am very pleased with the sound this thing puts out. Sadly I am forced to use a terrible music app to play audio and there is no built in video player to speak of. What was HP thinking? Anyone? Bueller?

    Feel free to provide me a compelling reason to keep it and I will happily entertain you, but after 48hrs of continued use I am not impressed at all.
    I like it for the multitasking. I need to see multiple pdf files at once, look up terms on the web from pdfs, emails, docs and then cut and paste into emails--a one-app at a time device doesn't work for me, I would be writing down things on pads of paper that way and then typing them into a browser.
    I also need great sound when I am not near my stereo.
    I also like flash.
    Games not a biggy for me--one or two is fine.

    Apps will take time but we've seen them come for the Palm Pre and read dev comments on the forums that they are working on apps for the TouchPad, so we are confident they will come.

    Because of the reasons above, the TouchPad is for me.

    If you still want to check it out--and I assume you do as you asked for feedback-- for free or almost free, you can do the following now, and see if you like it:

    Install Preware and then get the patches recommended to stop logs going to Palm. This will cut down greatly on "clunk" and "lag." If you don't know how to install preware, there are instructions in the catalog for $0.99, less than the price of the bottle of water you'll be drinking on your way back to Staples.

    You can get mood-agent to listen to music (free). Preader (free) will let you read ebooks.
    Paper Mache is amazing as an offline articles download for instapaper and google readers and read it later readers are already starting to appear in the catalogue as companions.

    If you are daring, spend $5 to get Glimpse and see how you can do 3 things on one card. I do RSS feeds, notes, and twitter.

    If you start to like the TouchPad as I did, you can think about buying Kalem Soft Video player for your different movie formats.

    It might be worthwhile to spend a few hours to put ubuntu on the TouchPad which gives you desktop versions of libreoffice software. This is still amazing to me that I have a desktop operating system on my tablet and gives me confidence that in a pinch, I could let go of my laptop on trips.

    Create a document in your ubuntu partition and enjoy sending it up to your free box.net account and downloading it again while you wait for openoffice to get doc editing available later this month. Install chromium browser or firefox and know that it is there in a pinch.

    Good luck.

    edit: papermache is free from the dev (thanks ryan!) but the instapaper dev wants $1 from you for 3 months to use his service. I was skeptical at first but the delight of downloading for later reading has won me over. I use that service for long features on websites that I don't have time to read weekly but that give me great joy and inspiration when I do have time. Knowing they are there on my device for reading anytime is lovely. For the regular news features, I just skim them via a reader.
    Last edited by bluenote; 08/08/2011 at 01:18 PM.
    Herk_FE likes this.
  6. Herk_FE's Avatar
    Posts
    63 Posts
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    #486  
    I did DL preader and I have to admit I am clunking along again trying to convert my mobi's. i will give the preware a whirl and see what it does for me. Thanks for the feedback.
  7. #487  
    Quote Originally Posted by herk_fe View Post
    I did DL preader and I have to admit I am clunking along again trying to convert my mobi's. i will give the preware a whirl and see what it does for me. Thanks for the feedback.
    I also spent a few dollars buying video flood player, it lets me find tv free content quickly and watch it.
    FYI, I can create documents in Typewriter Beta as well as in the notes feature on Glimpse.

    I do think there are other tablets more optimized for media consumption than this one but I can't justify a tablet purchase for just consumption and looking up menus--it needs to be more functional for me--hence I am willing to work with it to stretch it to its limits--and wait for the devs.
  8. #488  
    List of Preware patches that will cut down greatly on lag below, I did most of these:

    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3027858
  9. #489  
    Quote Originally Posted by ecb1171 View Post
    @dbmgreen,

    I have to agree with you. I purchased the TouchPad yesterday on the basis of the $200 price reduction at Staples and all the positive reviews I read regarding the 3.0.2 firmware update.

    I also have an iPad2, but I have been a fan of webOS since I stood in line to get the Palm Pre the day it first came out. I eventually abandoned webOS because the hardware was poor and Sprint's coverage in my area turned out to be worse than it looked on the coverage map. I tried webOS again with the Palm Pre+ on Verizon, but abandoned it due to the faulty GPS (though that was Verizon's fault, not Palm)

    After a day of heavy use, I'm pretty disappointed. I have no problem with the lack of apps as there is an amazing Facebook app, good Twitter client and even a Citrix Receiver application. Not having a document editor was a concern, but I figured I could get by.

    What I didn't expect was how slow everything is. It takes 15 seconds to open the mail application sometimes (other times it takes 5 seconds) The web browser is horribly slow and doesn't render pages correctly when the Touchpad is in a portrait mode (for an example go to bgr.com in portrait and the web page is cut off on the right side and there are missing pictures in both portrait and landscape) I had hoped to use Google Docs, but the lag in the browser makes that a difficult task. I was able to watch shows on Hulu that didn't look horrible, but they didn't look great (choppy)

    WebOS is still as innovative as it ever was. Stacks and Just Type are killer features and both notifications and multitasking on webOS are better than any other platform. The hardware is great and webOS should fly on a dual core processor with 1GB of memory, but it doesn't.

    I'll keep the TouchPad right up until the last day that I can return it to see if there's another update that helps with the system lag but, strictly on performance, the Touchpad is ahead of Android, but well behind the iPad2.
    This sounds really odd. Several people have had issues similar to this and it ended up being an issue with their network. You might want to try searching the forums for discussions about it. For some reason the TP can be finicky about working with certain routers and firmware versions.
  10. #491  
    The writer Matthew Miller has got something screwy happening with his device and is working out the kinks, I think James Kendrick and others might be helping him a little (scroll down in the blog comments)--

    Here's the latest tweet from him :

    palmsolo Matthew Miller
    A good mobile day so far, upgraded HD7 microSD card to 32GB and HP TouchPad healing itself from touchscreen issues
  11. Herk_FE's Avatar
    Posts
    63 Posts
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    #492  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    The writer Matthew Miller has got something screwy happening with his device and is working out the kinks, I think James Kendrick and others might be helping him a little (scroll down in the blog comments)--

    Here's the latest tweet from him :

    palmsolo Matthew Miller
    A good mobile day so far, upgraded HD7 microSD card to 32GB and HP TouchPad healing itself from touchscreen issues
    While I still don't "get" twitter I must admit stuff like this does show me the value of it's existence.
  12. #493  
    Got mine today...with the exception of the "slick" rear cover, i'm uber-happy with it. Glad to be back on webos!
  13. doctj's Avatar
    Posts
    298 Posts
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    #494  
    Tom's Hardware review of the touchpad.
    Another excellent review I give the edge to this over Anand's. Objective evidence that it has the best display, graphics processor among others but bloated OS (which is probably the tradeoff for excellent multitasking).
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    Uberkernel running @ 1.5 Ghz
  14. Herk_FE's Avatar
    Posts
    63 Posts
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    #495  
    Quote Originally Posted by doctj View Post
    Tom's Hardware review of the touchpad.
    Another excellent review I give the edge to this over Anand's. Objective evidence that it has the best display, graphics processor among others but bloated OS (which is probably the tradeoff for excellent multitasking).
    Is it really "multitasking"? I keep hearing this feature touted and can't think of the last time I was able to do 2 things at once on a touchpad that I couldnt do on my android phone aside from let music play in browser window while I do another task.

    Games pause when you switch to card view, pages don't load til I click back in the card, and I don't feel anything that I would call multitasking taking place.

    When I hear multitasking I would think I could be rendering a book in preader, surfing a web page, and uploading to box.net all at once. I have not seen that capability.
  15. doctj's Avatar
    Posts
    298 Posts
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    #496  
    Quote Originally Posted by herk_fe View Post
    Is it really "multitasking"? I keep hearing this feature touted and can't think of the last time I was able to do 2 things at once on a touchpad that I couldnt do on my android phone aside from let music play in browser window while I do another task.

    Games pause when you switch to card view, pages don't load til I click back in the card, and I don't feel anything that I would call multitasking taking place.

    When I hear multitasking I would think I could be rendering a book in preader, surfing a web page, and uploading to box.net all at once. I have not seen that capability.
    Pages load in the background when I'm using it. Haven't tried uploading to box.net in the background.
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    Uberkernel running @ 1.5 Ghz
  16. Herk_FE's Avatar
    Posts
    63 Posts
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    #497  
    Quote Originally Posted by doctj View Post
    Pages load in the background when I'm using it. Haven't tried uploading to box.net in the background.
    Web pages do load simultaneously albeit extremely slow. Preader appears to not render at all when I click out of the card and do something else. I just don't feel a true "multitasking" experience when I use my TP. Of course I haven't tried a honeycomb or iOS tab for longer then I could play with it at the store so I may be expecting too much.
  17. #498  
    HP owes me ....... an APP or something. lol.
    Went to 2 Best Buy stores on Wednesday (Aug 10th) in Burlington Ontario.

    Best Buy Mobile (Burlington Mall) had 4 tablets when I asked. The Samsung, Playbook, HP Touchpad and of course, the iPad. When asked to see the Touchpad, the sales lady said it was in the back room and not on display. I didn't bother to ask why.

    Best Buy Bulk store (Brant Street, Burlington) had a big banner on the front featuring the HP Touchpad. Inside, there were 7 - 10 Touchpads available for perusing. Unfortunately, ALL of them were without the 3.0.2 update. When I mentioned it to the "geek staff" (or whatever Best Buy calls them), he said they didn't have time yet to update the Touchpad systems - an update that was already 10 days old.

    So ... as a loyal webOS fan, I pushed a button - the Update icon - and once the Touchpad said an update was available, I then pressed another button - download the update. As soon as the update installed, I tried the Touchpad again (using the same unit).

    What a difference! It was faster and smoother - something I had heard before, but was never able to "experiment" with the change. Suffice to say, it was a much better experience. Before I left, I told one of the tech guys what I did. He thanked me, and said he would pass this along to his boss.

    In my own home town, the Retailer (Future Shop - owned by Best Buy) had staff kinda dissing the Touchpad. When a customer asked, they tended to corral the potential Buyer towards the iPad. I, of course, interjected my 2 cents. Personally, I wasn't impressed - tough to sell something if the Retailer is not "really" interested. To be fair though, the update was just rolling out. And the Touchpad is a different machine once the update was installed.

    If HP wants to make it right, start by addressing these issues with the Retailers.
    .

    Update
    Visited my hometown Retailer once again (Future Shop). They had 2 Touchpads on display. The 16 Gb unit was not working (maybe the battery was dead - idk). The working 32 Gb model still wasn't updated to 3.0.2. As well, it wasn't connected to the Net - so I couldn't update this unit. The salesman said it slowed down the machine, hence no Net. Go figure.

    All that being said, the clerk said they only had one Touchpad left in stock, and that they had been selling fairly well. Prices were listed at $399 & $499.

    .
    Last edited by Lansing2002; 08/11/2011 at 08:00 PM.
    ilovedessert likes this.
  18. #499  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansing2002 View Post
    HP owes me ....... an APP or something. lol.
    Went to 2 Best Buy stores on Wednesday (Aug 10th) in Burlington Ontario.

    Best Buy Mobile (Burlington Mall) had 4 tablets when I asked. The Samsung, Playbook, HP Touchpad and of course, the iPad. When asked to see the Touchpad, the sales lady said it was in the back room and not on display. I didn't bother to ask why.

    Best Buy Bulk store (Brant Street, Burlington) had a big banner on the front featuring the HP Touchpad. Inside, there were 7 - 10 Touchpads available for perusing. Unfortunately, ALL of them were without the 3.0.2 update. When I mentioned it to the "geek staff" (or whatever Best Buy calls them), he said they didn't have time yet to update the Touchpad systems - an update that was already 10 days old.

    So ... as a loyal webOS fan, I pushed a button - the Update icon - and once the Touchpad said an update was available, I then pressed another button - download the update. As soon as the update installed, I tried the Touchpad again (using the same unit).

    What a difference! It was faster and smoother - something I had heard before, but was never able to "experiment" with the change. Suffice to say, it was a much better experience. Before I left, I told one of the tech guys what I did. He thanked me, and said he would pass this along to his boss.

    In my own home town, the Retailer (Future Shop - owned by Best Buy) had staff kinda dissing the Touchpad. When a customer asked, they tended to corral the potential Buyer towards the iPad. I, of course, interjected my 2 cents. Personally, I wasn't impressed - tough to sell something if the Retailer is not "really" interested. To be fair though, the update was just rolling out. And the Touchpad is a different machine once the update was installed.

    If HP wants to make it right, start by addressing these issues with the Retailers.
    .
    good job, if you want HP to see this, you might want to post also in the rate your best buy thread
  19. #500  
    HP's new tablet is a solid choice for the legal industry
    Review: The HP TouchPad

    soon we'll have a lot more lawyers running around with Touchpads.
    .....hope they won't sue HP if they miss another OTA update deadline ......just kidding :-)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions