Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 131819202122232425262728 LastLast
Like Tree121Likes
    Well, this good news is working on me because I'm having major TP envy. Whether a WebOS phone makes it to Sprint or not, I'm letting go and pulling the TP trigger.
    Not sure about all the updates and fixes. Good to hear Josh updating his notes and covering the specifics about the updates and his comments further down are even more telling.

Either way, he doesn't cover everything in great detail and simply notes the improvements and fixes too the problems he found in his original review. Actually, I wonder if all of these fixes were to address Josh's review and insights?

I'm just glad they are here and hopefully Josh updates his TouchPad review and mentions his new Score of 8 out of 10 (in the comments below the article) after this revision? Sorli...
    The main difference in how we ( kjb, weaser & myself) compared to the rest of you was (probably), the rest of you had yours on or close to 1 July, wehad to wait until the 15th. During that time, I personally, didn't read much of th tech sites reviews, I read what users commented on here.

Although a little behind in first-hand experience, was reading as many tips & tricks.....problems & solutions as I could. I had the odd issue, but having already seen it on the boards, didn't take me long to solve my disappearing sounds or my missing music files.

Maybe we're misunderstanding the keyboard lag, or simply don't have extra outside experience to gauge it by.

I have a bt keyboard, which I use 50% of the time depending on what I'm doing, so any issues with vk would then only be noticed half as much as well.

I used to have a good Pre, but my latest replacement runs very poorly in comparrison to some I've had.

It's a huge breath of fresh air using my TouchPad after my Pre. The only thing saving it's sorry behind is freeTether & a corrupt data tracking by Bell
    I liked this comment from abgenx.

abgenx

HP TouchPad - Things I really Like and Things that Could Be Better:

1. Microsoft Exchange - I can run multiple Microsoft Exchange accounts in full profile (calendar, contacts, address book) without any issue.

2. webOS Synergy -integrates multiple accounts into intelligent consolidated profiles based on overlap. For example, when any of my LinkedIn contacts updates his/her job title, my contacts change automagically.

3. Multi-Dropbox - I can run 2+ Dropbox accounts simultaneously on the device. This isn't easy to do even on a desktop, but webOS was architected from the ground up to work with the cloud seamlessly.

4. Free storage - TouchPad owners get 50GB of free Box.net secure cloud storage for life, a great deal worth at least $10 per month or $240 over 2 years.

5. Background video - not everything playing on video needs to be watched with undivided attention, sometimes you just want to listen. It's nice that I can run a Flash video in a card in the background while doing email. True multitasking by choice.

6. Drafts - I can have several draft emails open at the same time, this is a more natural way to work, and you don’t need to press buttons to move in-between them; I can also open emails embedded in other emails.

7. Signatures - in webOS email, all your individual mailboxes have their own settings and signatures. So you can have a casual signature for personal and professional signature for work email.

8. Printing - works like magic out of the box with wireless HP printers or HP printers on a network. No setup needed, just auto-discover and go. It's the fastest I've ever test printed on a print-connected device.

9. Skype - is built into the OS, no app needed, plus you can load all your messaging contacts, calendars from Google, Exchange, Yahoo, AIM, Skype and LinkedIn leveraging webOS Synergy to create a unified view.

10. USB mounting - I can mount my HP TouchPad as a USB drive on any computer using a standard USB/microUSB cable. Sometimes, you need to move a whole folder of stuff and this is the easiest and quickest way to do it. You can access your saved files and folders on the device quite easily.

11. Email Attachments - You can attach multiple items to emails you're composing the same way you would on a desktop. Just find the right folder, or Dropbox, and simply select the file.

12. Sound - the speakers are amazing, actually better than some laptop speakers and the front facing camera, mike and speakerphone for video conferencing is very good.

13. Gestures - there are parts of the screen that are used to create special commands for navigation, very fluid.

14. Openness - Even though the device has a secure OS, instructions on how to "jailbreak" the device (to enhance its features unofficially) are available and even advertised in August's highlights in the official HP App Catalog -anyone can put the device in developer mode and tinker with it. You cannot "brick" a TouchPad.

What Could Be Better:

1. Camera -It would have been great to have a rear camera too. Currently the front facing camera only works for Skype, hopefully the API will be opened up to other services too.

2. Size and shiny finish -the device is thicker, this is a tradeoff to allow for inclusion of a wireless charging induction coil. Shiny finish bothered me until I put it in the standard case. Problem solved.

3. Lag and hardware acceleration -webOS still runs a little bit slower than iOS, but 3.02 is a definite improvement on 3.0 -there must be another big update soon because doc editing still isn't there.

4. Applications - webOS has few applications right now but is doing a lot of the right technical things to develop a long term following. Synergy APIs eliminate the need for many basic apps, but more progress is needed.

5. Country App Catalog lock - I understand that once you set your country for the App Catalog, it can't changed and you can never shop in a different country store. This sounds terrible and needs a fix.

6. web Optimization - there are still some things they are working out in the browser, video plays much better but some things aren't yet perfect with the way some web pages render.

7. MobileMe "cloud" contacts don't sync across in Synergy; I suspect that this isn't HP's fault.

In case you're wondering, yes I believe, every major multi-platform app we take for granted will eventually be available on webOS, but it will take time. HP's totally open attitude with developers will begin to pay dividends and skeptics will come around. No need to limit your bargaining power as a dev by having your app wedded to only 3 platforms (Google, Apple and Microsoft) that are trying to hurt each other. webOS is neutral, open ground.
    I'm not sure about Josh's characterization of the TP as having "predictive text." Isn't predictive text something that appears as you type, a la iOS?

That said, I do like the kb enhancements in the OTA.
    ahh too bad with Bell man.

I've got the pre 2 on Rogers (though I think they stopped selling it) but it's been absolutely amazing and 0 issues, mind you I didn't even have any issues with my Pre on Bell either (i had the small crack on the usb but that's about it, nothing significant)

Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    The main difference in how we ( kjb, weaser & myself) compared to the rest of you was (probably), the rest of you had yours on or close to 1 July, wehad to wait until the 15th. During that time, I personally, didn't read much of th tech sites reviews, I read what users commented on here.

Although a little behind in first-hand experience, was reading as many tips & tricks.....problems & solutions as I could. I had the odd issue, but having already seen it on the boards, didn't take me long to solve my disappearing sounds or my missing music files.

Maybe we're misunderstanding the keyboard lag, or simply don't have extra outside experience to gauge it by.

I have a bt keyboard, which I use 50% of the time depending on what I'm doing, so any issues with vk would then only be noticed half as much as well.

I used to have a good Pre, but my latest replacement runs very poorly in comparrison to some I've had.

It's a huge breath of fresh air using my TouchPad after my Pre. The only thing saving it's sorry behind is freeTether & a corrupt data tracking by Bell
    Quote Originally Posted by bigferret View Post
    Well, this good news is working on me because I'm having major TP envy. Whether a WebOS phone makes it to Sprint or not, I'm letting go and pulling the TP trigger.
    just gotta pull that trigger
    it'll be worth it
    Regarding Wifi performance. Now I do have the unthrottle downloads patch installed. I use the site speedtest.net for both my Touchpad and my computer. My computer is hardwired into the router. Results? 14.3mbps down 0.83mbs up on PC, Touchpad = 13.38mbps down (on wifi) and 0.81 mbps up. Absolutely nothing wrong with the wifi on this device as far as I can tell.
    Even better, in the comments there's a link to a study that Dr. Phil Hendrix put together on tablets and consumers, and HP shows as one of the top 3 brands for tablets a hair behind Dell, and a small but noted gap behind Apple. Most of the Android brands, save for Samsung, are well behind. Brand is also apparently, by far, the number one factor in choosing a tablet. Combine that with a sweet spot of $350 and HP looks to be in a promising position with the upcoming sales.

HP needs to stop pushing just the device and really push the OS hard and get more apps, as they are still trailing in the area of desired OS + Apps Store area.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpeo88 View Post

on a side note- i dont know why people are complaining about the browser loading slow and what not, my browser experience has been nothing but FANTASTIC (except hulu)...are these people high?? well i suppose if they were, the slowness wouldnt really phase them. . . .
    This is why: AnandTech - The HP TouchPad Review: webOS on the Big Screen
    Quote Originally Posted by augustofretes View Post
    1) WebOS isn't a new platform.

The Touchpad is a new device with webOS on it

2) The iPhone was not lack luster compared to its peers, it was far beyond them (maybe not if you count features, but the experience was way ahead).

The original iPhone lacked cut and paste, multi-tasking, document editing, connection sharing, apps, a good email client (still does), voice commands, etc. Reviewers complained about the lack of physical keyboard as compared to the Blackberry. Windows Mobile killed it in apps and multi-tasking. Apple did a good job of marketing and there was a price drop after the first month that pushed sales. Apple was given the benefit of the doubt by most reviewers and even with their mistakes they still get good reviews based on potential.

3) When Android launched it was the first true competitor to iOS, and reviewers were harsh with the first versions and hardware revisions (~7 just like WebOS devices).

No argument there.

4) Most reviewers actually claimed WebOS had a lot of potential.

That seems to be a fashionable slight at webOS. They say it has potential but then they don't recommend it. They seem to recommend other platforms with potential based on the company that makes it. Apple and Microsoft products get major passes by reviewers.

5) Windows Phone 7, despite being really high quality, got pretty harsh reviews (because of missing features), despite being the most fluid, smoothest interface in the market. Not to mention it ran in good hardware for the time (1 Ghz CPUs, 512 RAM, +5 MP & 720p, 800 x 480, from LCD to Super AMOLED, well priced, etc).
    I apologize but I have not read any reviews on Windows Phone 7. I've based my Microsoft comments off of desktop Windows (XP, Vista, 7) and Xbox reviews. I'm just not interested in mobile Windows anymore. Didn't mean to offend you on that.
    Last edited by k4ever; 08/06/2011 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Guess I needed to treat each point as a multi-quote. One day I will get this right.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    The Touchpad is a new device with webOS on it
    New device =/= New Platform. Certainly when the iPhone 5 launchs it will be a new device, but not a new platform.

The original iPhone lacked cut and paste, multi-tasking, document editing, connection sharing, apps, a good email client (still does), voice commands, etc.
    The email client on the iPhone is not bad (it's much better than WebOS email client!). Anyway, it lack features, and it was criticized because of that, but it still was a much improved experience, do you really think iOS changed the market because of marketing? It didn't. It changed because it was a superior experience. Go hand any smartphone pre-iPhone (BB and Windows Mobile devices) and use an old iPhone along them.

Reviewers complained about the lack of physical keyboard as compared to the Blackberry. Windows Mobile killed it in apps and multi-tasking. Apple did a good job of marketing and there was a price drop after the first month that pushed sales. Apple was given the benefit of the doubt by most reviewers and even with their mistakes they still get good reviews based on potential.
    It wasn't given the benefit of doubt, it lacked features, but it was a hilariously superior experience. WebOS is a great experience, but by no possible standard it represents a leap forward as the iPhone (iOS, iPhone OS back then) did.
    Quote Originally Posted by augustofretes View Post
    New device =/= New Platform. Certainly when the iPhone 5 launchs it will be a new device, but not a new platform.

The email client on the iPhone is not bad (it's much better than WebOS email client!). Anyway, it lack features, and it was criticized because of that, but it still was a much improved experience, do you really think iOS changed the market because of marketing? It didn't. It changed because it was a superior experience. Go hand any smartphone pre-iPhone (BB and Windows Mobile devices) and use an old iPhone along them.

The email client part is highly debatable. I have only seen one review that puts iOS' email client above webOS or any other platform. From my personal use the email client on iOS sucks. Yes, Apple change the market by marketing (strange concept). They have some of the best commercials touting features that other smartphones have had for years. They make accessing those features look simple. They made people think they had a lot of apps even way back when Windows Mobile apps were beating them 100 to 1. They hyped up the market so much that everyone wants an iPhone/iPad but don't even know what it looks like or can even grasp what it does or doesn't do. Verizon and Motorola did the same thing with the original Droid. Good marketing can make people want a lackluster product. Has been proven time and time again.

It wasn't given the benefit of doubt, it lacked features, but it was a hilariously superior experience. WebOS is a great experience, but by no possible standard it represents a leap forward as the iPhone (iOS, iPhone OS back then) did.
    No it is not a hilariously superior experience. The experience on the Pre was far superior but no one like the form factor. When I pick up an iOS device the experience is frustration, not awe. They have a lot of apps to carry them through and right now I believe that and name recognition are the only things propelling the iOS platform. However this is not a thread about that. It is about reviews and personal opinions from you and I.
    Let's dial it back a notch or two, please. This thread is for discussing the reviews in the media.
    No it is not a hilariously superior experience. The experience on the Pre was far superior but no one like the form factor.
    I said pre-iPhone. I didn't say it was hilariously superior to WebOS, Android or Windows Phone 7.

The email client part is highly debatable. I have only seen one review that puts iOS' email client above webOS or any other platform.
    The email app on WebOS doesn't even support threaded messaging, this alone is enough to make it subpar. Personal opinion: The Mail app on WP7 Mango is the best.

Yes, Apple change the market by marketing (strange concept). They have some of the best commercials touting features that other smartphones have had for years. They make accessing those features look simple. They made people think they had a lot of apps even way back when Windows Mobile apps were beating them 100 to 1.
    No, they didn't. They changed the market because they offered a new concept and user facing design. Multitouch natural interfaces, smoothness (touch responsiveness is still superior to every other platform but Windows Phone) and, man, just the Web browser was enough to pick it over any phone of its time.

They hyped up the market so much that everyone wants an iPhone/iPad but don't even know what it looks like or can even grasp what it does or doesn't do. Verizon and Motorola did the same thing with the original Droid. Good marketing can make people want a lackluster product. Has been proven time and time again.
    When I pick up an iOS device the experience is frustration, not awe. They have a lot of apps to carry them through and right now I believe that and name recognition are the only things propelling the iOS platform. However this is not a thread about that. It is about reviews and personal opinions from you and I
    Are you suggesting Android and iOS are lackluster experiences? I can't answer as I should, because the amazingly impartial mods will get over me, but, am I allowed to say he probably never used any of those platforms? I mean, we got concrete evidence of he commenting about platforms he has never touched (WP7).

-------------

To put it in the aristotelian terms everybody love using here, there are two actualities in the market, iOS and Android. The rest are you just potentialities, namely HP's WebOS, RIM's QNX and Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 (I think this one is closer to make the jump to an actual being with Mango :P)
    Last edited by augustofretes; 08/06/2011 at 04:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Even better, in the comments there's a link to a study that Dr. Phil Hendrix put together on tablets and consumers, and HP shows as one of the top 3 brands for tablets a hair behind Dell, and a small but noted gap behind Apple.
    Behind Dell? I don't know Dell is a tablet powerhouse, is it now?
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    I'm not sure about Josh's characterization of the TP as having "predictive text." Isn't predictive text something that appears as you type, a la iOS?

That said, I do like the kb enhancements in the OTA.
    Yeah, I agree, it's more like "Corrective text" a la FireFox/Chrome with a dashed line instead of squiggly. It's still a very good feature and love that you can easily add to the list of accepted words.

I do like the predictive text that ios and i think even android offers. I think my old Sony Ericsson back in 1999 had T9 "predictive text"
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    decided to remove link. :-P

horrible review, but delicious for you haters, lap it up.
    Last edited by RedMist; 08/07/2011 at 04:38 PM.
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    wow.