Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 121718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
Like Tree121Likes
    It is old, but I thought this was a great webOS review. Why Can't HP hire those guys and their down to Earth energy to promote their platform? :-)

Enjoy!

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/02/2011 at 08:20 AM.
    Josh, from this is my next, a well-known Palm supporter, has published its feelings about the Touchpad update, for the record, he reviewed the Touchpad and was baffled by its poor perfomance.

TouchPad update brings speed, stability, and questions about that early July release | This is my next...

His opinion is that HP delivered! =D

Just following the review (and exec shakeup at HP), I had chance to talk with Jon and new webOS lead Stephen DeWitt about the product and its future, and was assured that that promised update would solve many of the issues I experienced (laggy touch response, unpredictable rotation, random reboots, a nearly unusable keyboard). So, has it? In a word: yes.

The TouchPad post the 3.0.2 update feels much more like the device it was supposed to be. Snappy, tight, sure of itself. When you press the screen or scroll a list (particularly in the mail application, which has been improved) you get what you expect. The keyboard changes may be the most significant here — the onscreen keyboard is not only improved over the previous version, but so accurate that it may just be my favorite tablet keyboard yet. The auto-correction and predictive text input is excellent.
    One has to wonder why didn't HP wait to release the Touchpad, in order to get good reviews.
    Last edited by augustofretes; 08/02/2011 at 05:20 PM.
    With this article and the Yahoo article in another thread touting the nice little update we got in 3.0.2, things are looking up.
    RoverNole likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by augustofretes View Post
    Josh, from this is my next, a well-known Palm supporter, has published its feeling about the Touchpad update, for the record, he reviewed the Touchpad and was baffled by its poor perfomance.

TouchPad update brings speed, stability, and questions about that early July release | This is my next...

His opinion is that HP delivered! =D

One has to wonder why didn't HP wait to release the Touchpad, in order to get good reviews.
    you're kidding me right?
    Sprint Love
    gzinkl likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    you're kidding me right?
    Huh? I just don't understand why HP needed to face bad PRPRPR $and$ $lackluster$ $reviews$ $because$ $of$ $the$ $poor$ $performance$, $why$ $didn$'$t$ $they$ $just$ $merely$ $waited$ $a$ $month$? $For$ $example$, $Josh$ $went$ $from$ &$quot$;$worse$ $keyboard$ $on$ $any$ $tablet$ ($unresponsive$)&$quot$; $to$ &$quot$;$my$ $favorite$ $tablet$ $keyboard$&$quot$;.

Anyway, this is great news!
    Huh? I just don't understand why HP needed to face bad PRPRPR $and$ $lackluster$ $reviews$ $because$ $of$ $the$ $poor$ $performance$, $why$ $didn$'$t$ $they$ $just$ $merely$ $waited$ $a$ $month$?
    The same people who are saying what you're saying would have been the same people screaming bloody murder if HP had waited a month. HP would not have won in either scenario.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    sorli likes this.
    just imagine what the forums would have been filled with if the touchpad was delayed at all.
    Sprint Love
    Jcarucci, estebancam and sorli like this.
    The update in my opinion didn't do much for the performance or the touch stability of the Touchpad. It is the same touchpad with a couple extra applications. App's still open slow "except when i am running the 1.5Ghz kernel". The web browser still lags on almost every page load. The mail app I have not had any problems with but the calendar is still laggy as all get up when you have 10 different calendar sources setup.

But overall I am content with the HP Touchpad. It is still much better then my iPad.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    The same people who are saying what you're saying would have been the same people screaming bloody murder if HP had waited a month. HP would not have won in either scenario.
    I'm really sorry you're taking this the wrong way. I was really dissapointed with the Touchpad performance, I couldn't care less about a month difference. Then again, I'm really happy HP stepped their game up.

Also, it isn't about the infinitesimal number of people who read and post here, is about the people who read all other sites, from NY Times, to Walt Mossberg, to Josh Topolsky, to CNet, etc.

But, let me insist once again, this is great news.
    peevine likes this.
    As long as it works, a month of bad reviews will not hurt in the long run. There will be other good reviews to make up for it and plenty of 3rd parties and corporates and consumer multi-tasking fiends who will support it as is in everyone's interest to have a few viable tablets in the market, especially a tablet that supports the 3rd party ecosystem.
    I think HP would be more worried about bad reviews read by millions than the complaints of forum readers.
    I think that what matters is that the update is finally here, as they promised, and I'm downloading it as I type and will input my two cents by the mornig. CHEERS~

BTW: I'M THRILLED WITH THE TOUCHPAD.
    Know you rights, they will prevail!
    ok I don't get it. I never had keyboard lag when I used my Touchpad, even before the update. Was mine something special or something? To be honest with you, I found that I never really had much lag to begin with. I did notice the email list scroll faster, but the emails all opened relatively fast even prior to the update. I do think fixing the media part of it was the most important. That was definitely a must.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    To be honest with you, I found that I never really had much lag to begin with. I did notice the email list scroll faster, but the emails all opened relatively fast even prior to the update. I do think fixing the media part of it was the most important. That was definitely a must.
    The Touchpad overall framerate was rather low (before this update), my guess is ~12 fps, this is what these reviewers are feeling, the apps still take as long as they did before to load, but it seems the GUI is running at a more steady fluid framerate (I've not experienced the update it first hand, so I don't know how much it improved).

Apple got it right: Prioritize GUI performance (smoothness) over features, certainly Palm Treo did more than the iPhone at launch, but the later was way more fluid. This, of course, doesn't mean "ship it with no email client" RIM style.

HP can improve the apps over time, but nailing the experience (smooth experience) is really, really important. I think WebOS 3.x with good performance is a lot closer to this than Android Honeycomb tablets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    ok I don't get it. I never had keyboard lag when I used my Touchpad, even before the update. Was mine something special or something? To be honest with you, I found that I never really had much lag to begin with. I did notice the email list scroll faster, but the emails all opened relatively fast even prior to the update. I do think fixing the media part of it was the most important. That was definitely a must.
    im right there with you on this one. I never experienced any problems really. Lag? maybe 1 or 2 seconds from time to time, nothing significant. People will always blow things out of proportion especially over the internet.

for example. You get 1000 people to riot in a city or small area. Put it on national television. It makes it seem like the entire country is under the gun. Same applies to this. You get a few people crying wolf about small things and it makes the whole platform look like garbage.

I don't know why some may have had the issues they did but all I know is we all have the same device, same software and my device has been flawless.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    im right there with you on this one. I never experienced any problems really. Lag? maybe 1 or 2 seconds from time to time, nothing significant. People will always blow things out of proportion especially over the internet

(...)

I don't know why some may have had the issues they did but all I know is we all have the same device, same software and my device has been flawless.
    When will this end, come on, COME ON, the Touchpad had severe problems with performance (you can visit AnandTech if you want measures), some problems, and seems like the more noticeable problems, have been fixed with this update. Let us be happy because HP fixed them (they kept their word, something Palm never did! =D), instead of pretending there wasn't a problem to begin with.

You know what's baffling? Not even HP denied the problems, they adknowledge them (actually, Jon stated he already knew about the problems previously to the reviews showing up), and said a fix was coming. And the fix came.
    Last edited by augustofretes; 08/02/2011 at 06:50 PM.
    speedtouch likes this.
    I think it is a testament to webOS, and likely the homebrew community, to see how much improvement can come about in this OS in one month. People might be drawn to an OS that can improve so drastically (whether it was drastic or not isn't the point, perception is different person to person). As they see how easily enhancements to the OS and the experience can be applied via Preware and the Homebrew apps, patches, etc., I think interest will continue to grow. It's good PRPRPR.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

When will this end, come on, COME ON, the Touchpad had severe problems with performance (you can visit AnandTech if you want measures), some problems, and seems like the more noticeable problems, have been fixed with this update. Let us be happy because HP fixed them (they kept their word, something Palm never did! =D), instead of pretending there wasn't a problem to begin with.

You know what's baffling? Not even HP denied the problems, they adknowledge them (actually, Jon stated he already knew about the problems previous to the reviews showing up), and said a fix was coming. and the fix came.
    I don't think anyone here pretended that problems did not exist with 3.0.0. There was a lag in the keyboard. I think the folks here disagreed with the perceived severity of the lag. I thought it was very annoying but did not take away from the overall user experience.

I personally did not like the fact that reviewers were lenient on 1st releases from other major tech companies yet did not cut any slack for the Touchpad. Did they expect a large company like HP, that is known for service and support, to just leave Touchpad users in the dust? When the original iPhone was released it could not even compare to the smartphone leader at the time. It was a little unpolished. However most reviewers told everyone that it had potential, to have faith that Apple would work quickly to fix the glitches and add missing functionality. Same excuses were made for Google with Android and the same excuse are given every time a new version of Windows is released. I felt that HP and the Touchpad deserved that same leeway.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I don't think anyone here pretended that problems did not exist with 3.0.0. There was a lag in the keyboard. I think the folks here disagreed with the perceived severity of the lag. I thought it was very annoying but did not take away from the overall user experience.

I personally did not like the fact that reviewers were lenient on 1st releases from other major tech companies yet did not cut any slack for the Touchpad. Did they expect a large company like HP, that is known for service and support, to just leave Touchpad users in the dust? When the original iPhone was released it could not even compare to the smartphone leader at the time. It was a little unpolished. However most reviewers told everyone that it had potential, to have faith that Apple would work quickly to fix the glitches and add missing functionality. Same excuses were made for Google with Android and the same excuse are given every time a new version of Windows is released. I felt that HP and the Touchpad deserved that same leeway.
    1) WebOS isn't a new platform.
    2) The iPhone was not lack luster compared to its peers, it was far beyond them (maybe not if you count features, but the experience was way ahead).
    3) When Android launched it was the first true competitor to iOS, and reviewers were harsh with the first versions and hardware revisions (~7 just like WebOS devices).
    4) Most reviewers actually claimed WebOS had a lot of potential.
    5) Windows Phone 7, despite being really high quality, got pretty harsh reviews (because of missing features), despite being the most fluid, smoothest interface in the market. Not to mention it ran in good hardware for the time (1 Ghz CPUs, 512 RAM, +5 MP & 720p, 800 x 480, from LCD to Super AMOLED, well priced, etc).
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Huh? I just don't understand why HP needed to face bad PRPRPR $and$ $lackluster$ $reviews$ $because$ $of$ $the$ $poor$ $performance$, $why$ $didn$'$t$ $they$ $just$ $merely$ $waited$ $a$ $month$? $For$ $example$, $Josh$ $went$ $from$ &$quot$;$worse$ $keyboard$ $on$ $any$ $tablet$ ($unresponsive$)&$quot$; $to$ &$quot$;$my$ $favorite$ $tablet$ $keyboard$&$quot$;.

Anyway, this is great news!
    dont know what his beef was with the keyboard before...my 3.0.0 keyboard experience was Flawless- i felt that it was a ton better than the ipad. i had legit chat sessions with people and even tho i typed slower than a pc, it was accurate..unlike an ipad. both in personal experience and observing ipad users. a kid in my class was trying to take notes on his ipad and, i kid you not, every 10 or so letters he typed, he was hitting backspace 3 or 4 times and re-typing because he kept making mistakes- talk about inefficient.

3.0.2, i didnt really notice any change in the keyboard, it was 100% before as it is right now..

on a side note- i dont know why people are complaining about the browser loading slow and what not, my browser experience has been nothing but FANTASTIC (except hulu)...are these people high?? well i suppose if they were, the slowness wouldnt really phase them. . . .

TouchPad fo life
    kjb86 likes this.