Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
Like Tree121Likes
    BBC (very short video overview) - BBC News - HP TouchPad tablet launches on own operating system

Quite brutal.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajffja View Post
    HATED IT!

I got 3 Pre minuses the day they released and have a 4th. I'm still on Sprint. We love our Pre's and webOS. However, the Touchpad is not ready for prime time. My rooted Pre with Preware et all is way more useful with 1.4.5 than the Touchpad I had for 2 weeks ... AND RETURNED TODAY (best part of buying from Costco).

I called tech support 3 times for help with things that were in the user's guide (yes, I had to resort to that due to poor information online). For things with literally 2 lines of instructions in the UG, even HP couldn't figure it out. The Kindle app being late. Quick Office not ready so I can edit and create documents. The constant freezing up and needing to plug in to reboot. The list goes on.

This device is great on paper. It is tragic in a user's hand at this point in time. While it has great potential, save your money and wait.
    Thanks for the advice. What did you have trouble with?
    The update is due next week so I think I will wait to see. A poster on the forums says he saw one and QuickOffice does have editing. In he meantime I am using LibreOffice thanks to webOS Internals.
    Kindle coming 2 weeks after launch is quite reasonable. I have needed to restart my device but not to plug in for that to happen so not sure what your trouble has been. Had email open, pdfs downloaded by TouchPad, lots of searches in web pages, twitter and typing and pasting info into LibreOffice spreadsheet today, was quite productive.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajffja View Post
    HATED IT!

I got 3 Pre minuses the day they released and have a 4th. I'm still on Sprint. We love our Pre's and webOS. However, the Touchpad is not ready for prime time. My rooted Pre with Preware et all is way more useful with 1.4.5 than the Touchpad I had for 2 weeks ... AND RETURNED TODAY (best part of buying from Costco).

I called tech support 3 times for help with things that were in the user's guide (yes, I had to resort to that due to poor information online). For things with literally 2 lines of instructions in the UG, even HP couldn't figure it out. The Kindle app being late. Quick Office not ready so I can edit and create documents. The constant freezing up and needing to plug in to reboot. The list goes on.

This device is great on paper. It is tragic in a user's hand at this point in time. While it has great potential, save your money and wait.
    that stinks that you had a bad experience --your pre was not released with 1.4.5 and suffered at it's inception too -- you stuck with them 4 times for years now and I am willing to bet from your post you are happy with them. I am not having the problems that you were and every day apps are released that make the experience better. Once quick office is up to speed my laptop will be waving goodbye to me from my desk. Pray tell me sir what item it is that you could not get help with either from HP or from this site. Your post leaves me a little confused in that you seem very webos knowledgeable and that the TP did not do it for you but to each his own

rob
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
  4. GB1
    Quote Originally Posted by Blkthght06 View Post
    Original launch day Sprint Pre owner here. I decided to drop in on this thread to see how the rest of the faithful were reacting to the less than stellar touchpad reviews......and I am a little shocked by what I'm reading. There are several people in this forum rationalizing away what appears to be a flawed product. There are others who are actually review shopping......or looking for a review that satisfies them. This is sad people. It is obvious that HP is so far behind in the tablet space that they rushed this tablet out the door 6 weeks to soon. I believe the same thing happened to RIMM.

I agree; loyalty has it's limits, and although I don't regret getting a TP, there are obviously just so many issues with it that it almost makes me wonder why HP released it at that time. I say almost because I already know the answer - PRESSURE from the customers!! We were all screaming for the TP and couldn't understand why it would take so long after it's announcement. But there are so many things to perfect with such a new device and OS.

One thing that's inexcusable though - and that I've also not read one person mention as of yet - is that the momentary freeze up that TP users are seeing, where it freezes up for 2-8 seconds at a time, IS THE SAME THING MY PRE HAS BEEN DOING FOR TWO YEARS! This bug has been driving me nuts for all that time, has never been fixed and updated in the Pre, and now it's made it's way into the Touchpad's WebOS 3.0. Unbelievable! They should have identified and crushed this bug long ago.

I also played w/ an iPad 1 yesterday. A friend had one with him at a restaurant and I played with it for a few minutes - it responds better than the TP. It's smooth, there is no hesitation when you click or drag images left and right, etc. The basics are just better.

Really hoping the TP team can fix these bugs with WebOS updates..

GB
    Read this UNDERWHELMING review then sign up and nail the guy would you :-)

HP TouchPad - do we need another hero?
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Hey guys its Michael here from Good e-Reader! We have done a number of reviews on the HP TouchPad and I thought I would share them in this thread

Main Review - Full Hands on Review of the HP Touchpad WebOS Tablet | Good E-Reader Blog - ebook Reader and Tablet PC News

App Review - HP TouchPad App Review | Good E-Reader Blog - ebook Reader and Tablet PC News

iPad vs the TouchPad Video - Apple iPad vs the HP TouchPad Comparison Video | Good E-Reader Blog - ebook Reader and Tablet PC News
    get all the latest e-Reader News with goodereader.com
    Quote Originally Posted by goodereader View Post
    Hey guys its Michael here from Good e-Reader! We have done a number of reviews on the HP TouchPad and I thought I would share them in this thread

Main Review - Full Hands on Review of the HP Touchpad WebOS Tablet | Good E-Reader Blog - ebook Reader and Tablet PC News

App Review - HP TouchPad App Review | Good E-Reader Blog - ebook Reader and Tablet PC News

iPad vs the TouchPad Video - Apple iPad vs the HP TouchPad Comparison Video | Good E-Reader Blog - ebook Reader and Tablet PC News
    Welcome to webOS, Michael! Glad you took my advice to join up here (from my comment on your blog). PreCentral has the best webOS forum out there. Great reviews and I am so glad you have such a good impression of webOS when comparing it to Android. We're happy to have you as a (hopeful) convert.
    Quote Originally Posted by goodereader View Post

"The unit is as heavy as hell and easily weighs almost double the iPad 2"
    Please can you correct this. The TP weighs 740g compared to the iPad2s 601g. I make that about a quarter heavier.
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    "The unit is as heavy as hell and easily weighs almost double the iPad 2"
    Please can you correct this. The TP weighs 740g compared to the iPad2s 601g. I make that about a quarter heavier.
    140 grams more--"heavy as hell"???

how about as heavy as the iPad1
    Techbargains Review:

The Revision3 show "SoliderKnowsBest" has a 7 minute video which I consider a fair review from someone who seems to be a big Apple guy. He also created a separate 5 minute webOS Tour video.
    have been using it as my main tablet for a month now, and while it may say something more about Honeycomb than the TouchPad, HPs product is better than every Honeycomb tablet I have tried.

HP TouchPad: Still better than Honeycomb | ZDNet
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    The only thing a honeycomb tablet can't do that a touchpad can are those cards while there are so many things a honeycomb tablet can do that a touchpad cannot. One eg is it launches applications instantly while the touchpad launches them slower than my pc. It even has doc editors that work so I don't see what makes Webos on a tablet any better.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamex View Post
    The only thing a honeycomb tablet can't do that a touchpad can are those cards while there are so many things a honeycomb tablet can do that a touchpad cannot. One eg is it launches applications instantly while the touchpad launches them slower than my pc. It even has doc editors that work so I don't see what makes Webos on a tablet any better.
    I Dont Think Those Count as HoneyComb Specific o.o ''' I Had the Transformer and yeah Android was alot snappier but WebOs feels alot smoother. Honeycomb had alot of bugs when I used it. 3.2 Was supposed to fix these bugs but I never got to see it. I like the Feel of WebOS over Honeycomb plus Im not a fan of 16:9 Ratio Screens. 4:3 portraits way better. I do miss the apps though but thats what My Android Powered phone is for > Im sorry but untill WebOS phones stop looking so Girly, I think im gonna stick to Android based phones. Touchpad is my Fav Tablet though and webOS is pretty amazing.
    <<another thread merged>>
    very positive read. I liked this point - "I have been using it as my main tablet for a month now, and while it may say something more about Honeycomb than the TouchPad, HPs product is better than every Honeycomb tablet I have tried. The TouchPad is my favorite tablet for heavy use, and it is definitely still staying."

HP TouchPad: Still better than Honeycomb | ZDNet
    Rnp likes this.
    Love the review and I'm looking forward to future ZDnet webOS insights. Sorli...
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Palm Infocentre review

More savage than I'd expect from a palm centric site.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Thanks! Happy to report the TouchPad is even better after the update. Smooth and fast.
    James Kendrick
    Technology Blogger - ZDNet Mobile News
    ZDNet/ CBS Interactive