Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
Like Tree121Likes
    Good Lord, I need a day and a half to read it.
    hagster likes this.
    the article is huge so hard to go through the whole thing but from what i read... people are saying its the best review but... he pretty much validates most of the reviews people were hating on...

he says the webos is great which i think most reviewers were saying... but like this one, they mention performance lacks compared to the others (with times listed)... they even mention that it is on the heavy side like everyone else... skype video was 'Eeech" and he mentioned bugs like losing sound that require reboot. heck, they even validate WSJ Walt's battery life claim.

I liked the review... will try to go through the whole thing when i have a free week... but i find it interesting how people find it the best review, the definitive review... but it kinda sounds like the unabridged version that everyone has been saying.

Quote Originally Posted by vladi View Post
    Anandtech is the most comprehensive and non-biased tech site on the net. You can rely on what they have to say.
    Last edited by donm527; 07/18/2011 at 08:20 AM.
    Just came across this review - not positive!!
    HP TouchPad 32GB WebOS tablet • reghardware
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    i for one only believe in one review and thats my own user experience. i do not jump on the reviewers band wagon before i buy at all! people are different and their usage of any device will differ including these so called reviewers. i believe in my own hands on experience and base any future decision on that period. i dont find the TP heavy at all where as most reviewers do and it feels solid in the hand and less dainty than the ipad 2! it feels really to hold so i disagree with all the reviewers about the weight! there will be negatives with all devices but the negatives i have found from my experience have tainted my 1st impressions. my unit was just too unstable for my needs right now. i currently own 2 other devices that do similar jobs better. random reboots suck, random freezes suck and bouts of just being non responsive sucked as well. that was my user experience and not that of a reviewer. i feel that most reviewers all seem to follow a similar trend and mirror each others finding but in the end its we the customers that count! get hands on with one and spend a few days with it then decide! i did and was very disappointed! thats just me! who cares about benchmarks people really! these numbers mean f all!
    Dee McKillop likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by doctj View Post
    The definitive review i've been waiting for. Objective analysis of all the strength & weaknesses of webOS and the touchpad that no other reviewer has addressed.
    This is a very comprehensive review that looks at almost every aspect of the TouchPad and WebOS. The only thing missing was the user community and the open source enhancements to the operating systems that expands the user experience far beyond to “out of the box” OS. It was a good read!
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  6. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    the article is huge so hard to go through the whole thing but from what i read... people are saying its the best review but... he pretty much validates most of the reviews people were hating on...
    Not True

I haven't come across single review that says below.

If this were a race of numbers, Apple would have already won. It isn't. The iPad 2, as successful as it is, isn't perfect. There's tons of room for innovation and we're seeing its competitors offer clear examples of that innovation.

In fact, I'm still surprised that no one has managed to really copy the things that made webOS so great given how much time has passed since the Palm Pre first went on sale. Even today with multitasking improvements in Honeycomb and iOS, it's still easier to launch, exit and switch between apps on webOS.

Anand gives credit where its due. And he hasn't shied away from criticizing HP. Its not the case with other reviewers.
    JED-WEB-OS likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by shingers5 View Post
    i for one only believe in one review and thats my own user experience. i do not jump on the reviewers band wagon before i buy at all! people are different and their usage of any device will differ including these so called reviewers. i believe in my own hands on experience and base any future decision on that period. i dont find the TP heavy at all where as most reviewers do and it feels solid in the hand and less dainty than the ipad 2! it feels really to hold so i disagree with all the reviewers about the weight! there will be negatives with all devices but the negatives i have found from my experience have tainted my 1st impressions. my unit was just too unstable for my needs right now. i currently own 2 other devices that do similar jobs better. random reboots suck, random freezes suck and bouts of just being non responsive sucked as well. that was my user experience and not that of a reviewer. i feel that most reviewers all seem to follow a similar trend and mirror each others finding but in the end its we the customers that count! get hands on with one and spend a few days with it then decide! i did and was very disappointed! thats just me! who cares about benchmarks people really! these numbers mean f all!
    This is sense at last - well done for bringing a fresh perspective!
    ok, i guess guys like WSJ or dieter may just say they like webos but may not have gushed like this guy did... and they are nice words... but it doesnt change the fact that between the first paragraph and last, he made many of the same criticisms and real findings (like battery life and performance numbers) that his findings werent that different than most of the reviews.

but it's the best because he gushed on a couple of lines and all the others are accused anti-webos or pro-apple?

anyways... i thought it was a good review and fair.

Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Not True

I haven't come across single review that says below.

If this were a race of numbers, Apple would have already won. It isn't. The iPad 2, as successful as it is, isn't perfect. There's tons of room for innovation and we're seeing its competitors offer clear examples of that innovation.

In fact, I'm still surprised that no one has managed to really copy the things that made webOS so great given how much time has passed since the Palm Pre first went on sale. Even today with multitasking improvements in Honeycomb and iOS, it's still easier to launch, exit and switch between apps on webOS.

Anand gives credit where its due. And he hasn't shied away from criticizing HP. Its not the case with other reviewers.
    Hi all,

FYI. See link.

Take care,

Jay

The HP TouchPad Review: webOS on the Big Screen

by Anand Lal Shimpi on 7/17/2011 11:11:00 PM
    Posted in Tablet , HP , touchpad , webOS

AnandTech - The HP TouchPad Review: webOS on the Big Screen

If this were a race of numbers, Apple would have already won. It isn't. The iPad 2, as successful as it is, isn't perfect. There's tons of room for innovation and we're seeing its competitors offer clear examples of that innovation. As with any market, the lower your market share the more likely you are as a company to take risks. After all, you've got nothing to lose. It's in breaking the mold and taking these risks that great ideas are often born.

For HP there wasn't much of a risk to take with their first entry into the new tablet market, thanks to Palm's risk taking three years ago. For those who have used a webOS phone in the past, the OS needed very little functional improvement. It was just a matter of needing better hardware, squashing bugs and improving performance. The fundamentals were sound.

Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    spare and sorli like this.
    The one thing that Anand's review basically nails is that HP simply needs to fix a few things (performance, some notable bugs, and document editing) and it will be the best tablet, the one he would actually use on a daily basis. This is from a guy who stopped using his iPad because it wasn't productive for him. You can clearly see that he is very close to using the TouchPad full time. He probably doesn't even have the logging patches installed to speed it up. If the update eliminates the speed issues and fixes the big bugs, it will be hard to top it.

Anand sees the power that's available, and his review clearly focuses on how much you can be productive and get done, sans the performance issues.
    i agree that if hp can fix all the issues mentioned... that it can be as good or better than anything out there. webos has always had the potential... hp just needs to follow through where palm couldnt.
    I read that review today. Later, I sent it to my techie coworkers, some of whom own iPads, others who own no tablets. I found that AnandTech review to be the most competent, most thorough, most informative review that I've ever read on the TouchPad. Not to mention it was totally fair! All Anand's criticisms and praises were right on the mark and totally justified.

You just can't get a better, more honest review than what Anand has given us. The only thing he missed was homebrew. He didn't say a word about it. That's the only omission I could find in his review.
  13. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    ok, i guess guys like WSJ or dieter may just say they like webos but may not have gushed like this guy did... and they are nice words... but it doesnt change the fact that between the first paragraph and last, he made many of the same criticisms and real findings (like battery life and performance numbers) that his findings werent that different than most of the reviews.

but it's the best because he gushed on a couple of lines and all the others are accused anti-webos or pro-apple?

anyways... i thought it was a good review and fair.
    I guess we are going back and forth. All the reviewers did not stress enough on this simple but great UI. Their tone was like yeah its a slick UI, but ...lag, reboot, no apps, no battery life, no fart aps ...yada yada yada

Anand was not just gushing, he is stating a serious feature. The reason why we all love webOS "it's still easier to launch, exit and switch between apps". Its such an important reason for most of us that we bought this tablet for the UI alone.
    Just read the entire review. The criticisms were right on mark as well were the praise. This read was very informative and will be suggesting it to my friends who are on the fence about the purchase but would like a quality unbiassed review.

Thanks for the link.
    It's a good thing that no reviewer tested the TouchPad's Wi-FI performance, or they would have to stop blaming their wireless router / AP for the iPad 2's connectivity issues. I used the TP from our family room, which is two floors down from my office and outside the original double-brick building structure. My laptop always struggles to stay connected from that spot.

TouchPad - Good at everything you do not notice.
    Quote Originally Posted by horace11091 View Post
    The many crashes worry me... as the battery life
    Crashes/reboots. Wait for the over the air update and see what people are saying then.

Remember the battery life figures are for constant use. Depending on your individual usage it will probably last at least a couple of days.
    Quote Originally Posted by JayhawkOne View Post
    The TouchPad plays well with other HP mobile hardware, too. If youre a Palm/HP loyalist with one of the new Veer smartphones, or the forthcoming Pre 3, youll soon have the option of pairing the phone to the tablet via Bluetooth after an OTA update, that is. When paired, any calls or texts received will show up on the TouchPad, which you can then use to respond.
    OK, I don't know why people keep thinking that the older pres won't work with the T'pad! I am rocking the Pre2 and I've synced my profile so my SMSs calendar, apps, email, Facebook account, call log, contacts... Whew... and EVEN my FB photo albums All sync. Also, I paired them and was on a skype facetime with an iPhone... though I could not see the other party, yhey could see me... My friend has one paired/synced with a Sprint PIXI! [1.4.5] so if the lowliest WebOS device known works with it... every WebOS device does.
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    HP's TouchPad is no app powerhouse, but the strength of webOS 3.0 ensures it's able to outpace iOS in key areas, delivering a slick and sleek user experience

Mobile review, TouchPad, Pocket Gamer
    Finally a review to quickly explain Synergy and other core features of the Touchpad. I was very impressed.

HATED IT!

I got 3 Pre minuses the day they released and have a 4th. I'm still on Sprint. We love our Pre's and webOS. However, the Touchpad is not ready for prime time. My rooted Pre with Preware et all is way more useful with 1.4.5 than the Touchpad I had for 2 weeks ... AND RETURNED TODAY (best part of buying from Costco).

I called tech support 3 times for help with things that were in the user's guide (yes, I had to resort to that due to poor information online). For things with literally 2 lines of instructions in the UG, even HP couldn't figure it out. The Kindle app being late. Quick Office not ready so I can edit and create documents. The constant freezing up and needing to plug in to reboot. The list goes on.

This device is great on paper. It is tragic in a user's hand at this point in time. While it has great potential, save your money and wait.
    ariker01 and 74256274 like this.