Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
Like Tree121Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanCell View Post
    Palm Devices and WebOS -- News, Opinions, and App Reviews

Their article saying the touchpad failed and they want to sell their domain now basically. Geez people are harsh. I LOVE my tp & the future it holds.
    He sounds frustrated. If he can do some of those things he wishes after the OTA, maybe it will be good enough for him. If not, he can see if another tablet suits him better.
    Check out this HD Video Review by Mark Brown of Editors Keys:

hf199 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanCell View Post
    Palm Devices and WebOS -- News, Opinions, and App Reviews

Their article saying the touchpad failed and they want to sell their domain now basically. Geez people are harsh. I LOVE my tp & the future it holds.
    Ryan, if you know him, perhaps find out what he wants for it, maybe the community would pitch in for it if it was a nominal price.
    Quote Originally Posted by markb06 View Post

Editors Keys sound fascinating from the website.

Editors Keys is the worlds leading creator of dedicated editing keyboards and recording equipment.
    Mark Brown is the creator and CEO of Editors Keys.com he also runs a range of successful businesses and helps young artists, singers and producers to make it in the world of media.

Are my posts not showing up?? I'm sure I posted that in this very thread about 2 hours ago.

Mark Brown does seem genuinely enthused by the Touchpad though.
    Hmmm! I thought the TouchPad showed pretty well in those "negative" PhoneDog reviews. I'm sure he was disappointed that none of the infamous crashes occurred. He sure did like a lot of the features to have such a low opinion of it. His demo made me want to get one!
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Lisa G.
    Editor in Chief
    www.MobileTechReview.com
    hf199 likes this.

One of the more enjoyable reviews I've seen and it's probably mainly due to the way it's presented.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
    I don't know if this is already posted...long thread:-) ... But this guy sort of expresses what I am musing about
    The HP TouchPad 1.0 — Shawn Blanc
    He sort of glosses over the webOS strengths, but certainly hits the TP's weaknesses. Very disappointing observations about the browser.
    I hate review sites who don't give information on the reviewers. What are his qualifications? Apple ******? His review was disgustingly unobjective. I feel sorry for someone who doesn't find webOS fun to interact with. Even my most die-hard Apple ****** friends admit webOS has elegance and fun. Seriously, you'll accept klunky ol' Safari over webOS's browser even with it's current, temporary faults? Apple's in your face, current task disrupting notifications? Ive read much better (well considered) negative reviews.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gzinkl View Post
    I hate review sites who don't give information on the reviewers. What are his qualifications? Apple ******? His review was disgustingly unobjective. I feel sorry for someone who doesn't find webOS fun to interact with. Even my most die-hard Apple ****** friends admit webOS has elegance and fun. Seriously, you'll accept klunky ol' Safari over webOS's browser even with it's current, temporary faults? Apple's in your face, current task disrupting notifications? Ive read much better (well considered) negative reviews.
    oops....didn't reaoize that f a n b * y was a naughty word! Sorry!
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    here is the venerable anandtech review

AnandTech - The HP TouchPad Review: webOS on the Big Screen
    augustofretes likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    The best review, as usual. It probably deserves its own thread. The performance bit pretty much settles the discussion about it. It's there, it's substantial. The battery came as a surprise, I didn't expect it to be so low compared to its peers.

Conclusion highlights:

Without the performance issues and bugs, the TouchPad would likely be my favorite tablet on the market today.
    The good news for HP is that it's typically easier to tune for performance than it is to completely redo your OS (assuming the performance issues aren't deep rooted in the way webOS was written). As I mentioned at the start of this article, the fundamentals of webOS are sound and it made a great transition to the big screen. The TouchPad just needs optimization.
    The hardware is heavy but otherwise competitive. HP built the TouchPad with a good screen, good speakers and a great way to charge the tablet. The OS could use a visual update but is functionally incredible. The webOS card system is the best way to handle multitasking that I've seen in a mobile device to date. Unified messaging and Synergy are also very well executed features of the OS. Even the TouchPad's virtual keyboard is well executed (save for an imperfect autocorrect system).
    I really feel like the TouchPad was built for users who want to do more with tablets. I'm just hoping that HP follows through with an aggressive enough update schedule to actually deliver what those users are looking for.
    ---------------

Internal hardware:

The APQ8060 features an Adreno 220 GPU, the fastest Qualcomm has to offer today. While 3D gaming is still in its infancy on all mobile devices, it's good to see that HP hasn't at least sacrificed 3D performance in building the TouchPad. Note that the Adreno 220 in the TouchPad is still lags behind the PowerVR SGX543MP2 in the iPad 2, but this generation no one spent die area like Apple did on the A5
    From a raw performance standpoint, the APQ8060 is among the fastest on the market today. At 1.2GHz there's not enough of a clock speed advantage for it to be faster than NVIDIA's Tegra 2, but the chip comes close. At 1.5GHz, at least based on what we saw with the HTC Flyer, Qualcomm's Snapdragon is very competitive with the Tegra 2's 1GHz Cortex A9s. Why HP opted for a 1.2GHz configuration in the WiFi TouchPad and a 1.5GHz speed in the AT&T version isn't clear to me.
    On performance:

In general, apps on the TouchPad take three times as long to start up as apps running on the Galaxy Tab 10.1. This isn't a CPU issue (the Cortex A9 isn't 3x faster than Qualcomm's Scorpion core)
    At times the TouchPad's UI seems to run at a reasonably high frame rate, I'd say somewhere around 30 fps. However all too often that UI thread drops well below 30 fps. I've seen this happen on Honeycomb but not nearly as consistently as it does on the TouchPad (...) A low UI frame rate isn't as acceptable in this post-iOS world as it once was
    The ultimate issue with the TouchPad is its multitasking performance (...) With a few benign apps open the TouchPad multitasking experience is fine. You get to enjoy the quick app switching of webOS and all is good in the world. However open up and start really using a couple of apps that each are active consumers of CPU and I/O and the TouchPad can slow to a crawl. The best way I can describe it is like using a netbook that's constantly swapping to a very slow hard drive. The UI will periodically stop responding to taps on the screen only to either queue them up and execute a bunch of actions after a few seconds or just fail to recognize them entirely.
    Last edited by augustofretes; 07/17/2011 at 11:53 PM.
    I completely agree. It does deserve its own thread. Anand gets WebOS and the power of it; he is a smart enough guy and savvy enough user to understand the power of the multitasking and the overall package that he doesn't base his final conclusions upon the width of the device or its weight (which matter a tiny amount in the entire experience of the device overall over a year).
    He actually went pretty easy on HP on the performance issues and didn't even touch on the random reboots given what he could have said. I was surprised to hear that the Pre2 was supposed to be the first Tegra 2 smartphone (had no idea about that, though I had guessed they were going to NVIDIA given what NVIDIA's CEO said about WebOS) and that even Intel got to bid on the busniness when HP took over.
    I'm afraid that WebOS has the performance issues deep inside but I'm not knowledgeable enough about the OS to know. I'm skeptical that they can be fixed easily, because if they could it seems like they would have been fixed long ago (easy to reach fruit picked first).
    The performance fixes would improve battery life too, like he said.
    As webOS is based on html/jsjsjs $the$ $relatively$ $poor$ $performance$ $of$ $the$ $browser$, $especially$ $javascript$ $benchmarks$ $gives$ $me$ $hope$ $the$ $overall$ $UI$ $can$ $be$ $improved$. $Any$ $improvements$ $to$ $the$ $browser$ $performance$ $should$ $transfer$ $to$ $the$ $main$ $UI$ $and$ $it$ $looks$ $like$ $there$ $is$ $serious$ $scope$ $for$ $improvement$. $Add$ $that$ $to$ $some$ $GPU$ $acceleration$ $and$ $bug$ $fixes$ $and$ $it$ $could$ $be$ $great$.

I kind of wish Anand had waited for the OTA for this mega review. Hopefully he will take another look when it drops.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    The definitive review i've been waiting for. Objective analysis of all the strength & weaknesses of webOS and the touchpad that no other reviewer has addressed.
    JED-WEB-OS likes this.
    Global Posts
    833 Global Posts
    Anandtech is the most comprehensive and non-biased tech site on the net. You can rely on what they have to say.
  17. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    its the best review.
    Couldn't agree more - this is a very comprehensive and balanced review