Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Like Tree121Likes
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    The review I want to see is webOS vs. iOS vs. Honeycomb. The specifics of any individual hardware model are of course relevant to a buyer BUT it is the OS that we interact with ALL of the time. The OS is the platform on which the ever-changing hardware models must rely.

I would like to see a review that highlights the superiority of webOS as a great platform for users, application developers, and hardware builders. webOS is not just a 'feature' - it is the true heart of the current TouchPad. It is the single factor that makes the TouchPad different than and superior to every other tablet on the market.

Many of the reviews mention webOS but sometimes just in passing. I do not remember a single review that is critical of it. Most negative reviews seem to focus on the hardware not having this or that spec or being too heavy or too thick or . . . Hardware specifics will constantly change - HP will add a camera to the back and build future models that are thinner, lighter, and different shapes. If HP licenses webOS to other hardware builders we will see even more variations.

The superiority of webOS as an OS for mobile devices deserves its own head to head review comparing it to the other platforms. webOS is what HP should be pushing and what the reviewers should be reviewing.
    Every review i read quipped on the buggy software as well...
    Yes someone just needs to talk to him so he can see how this change will help webOS execute and gain the trust of the channel which will lead to worldwide distribution and developer support.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Explain away. My biggest problem with the change is the timing. It's as if HP didn't care about how those of us willing to bet on the platform would view this.
    James Kendrick
    Technology Blogger - ZDNet Mobile News
    ZDNet/ CBS Interactive
    Something something reach and scale, probably.
    Quote Originally Posted by jkendrick View Post
    Explain away. My biggest problem with the change is the timing. It's as if HP didn't care about how those of us willing to bet on the platform would view this.
    Do you think it will hurt future professional and big business clients or hurt potential iPad/Honeycomb consumers?
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    It's either awesome news or heinous news. Which is it? Well, that depends on the quality and timing of the first OTA update. Well, the second is probably the one he'll have any control of, but life isn't fair.

For me, they need to release an update before my 30 return period expires. If they do two, even small ones, I'll likely be with webOS until the end. Just show us you give a crap.
    wow. really cool, the writer of the article to defend his piece

that usually never happens... mostly people would have used this thread to say how ZDnet or cnet and the writers sucks monkey balls and are hp/palm/webos haters.

i agree that the timing wasnt greatest and really not what you want to remove your big cheese after new product launch... it's like taking out your CEO... like Hurd... abruptly and putting in a new person out of nowhere... like Leo... and see how great that's working out?

imo, they should have took him down when they bought palm. dunno why... maybe it took the year to see he was repeating history. but he definitely wasnt being affective in the position he was now... why waste anymore time and let him stay any longer?

Hi James,

I'm guessing your concern is with the quality of future innovation. My sense is this move is to address execution issues. Palm had trouble with hardware, timely software dates, effective marketing, telco and other channel sales, and developer support.
    I'm understanding the channel to say it trusts DeWitt to do all these things and perhaps much better than Rubinstein who is a genius engineer but perhaps not suitable for a CEO or even VP role. I'm guessing the channel was not happy with the TouchPad launch and they put pressure on HP to turn this around.

If HP can execute, devs will come and creative talent who become restless at Google or wherever will also come back. By moving top lieutenants into this supervisory role over webOS, HP is showing how committed and serious it is to this platform.

My concern is that the upcoming OTA update was not even up to
    the complete solution that HP needs right now to make TouchPad a success and that, coupled with the poor launch, was why Rubinstein was shuffled. I hope that is not true. I am mindful that Apotheker came from running a software company which presumably means they know how to deliver.

We shall find out soon enough.
    I don't know if this is already posted...long thread:-) ... But this guy sort of expresses what I am musing about
    The HP TouchPad 1.0 — Shawn Blanc
    He sort of glosses over the webOS strengths, but certainly hits the TP's weaknesses. Very disappointing observations about the browser.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
    IBut this guy Shawn Blanc[/url]
    He sort of glosses over the webOS strengths...
    Because he did that the review seemed very biased, check out this guy instead for a more balanced viewpoint: http://www.youtube.com/user/TechHarv.../0/VdXAWm6DN0M
    I understand your thoughts, but the reality is he's being put in a position to guide the actual hardware development, where he is good, and taken out of the role of actually executing the release schedule. This move is really seriously overdue. The Pre 3 has been, hardware-wise, ready for release for months. It's already FCC certified. The problem has been getting the software to the point of release, and releasing the phone. It's been clear for a while that Palm was taking way too long to push the innovations to market with software at the appropriate level, and that this may have been entirely tagged to Rubenstein. We shall see, but I think you will see the pace pick up.

In any case, Rubenstein wasn't the guy who brought you webOS anyways, just the Pre and Pixi, and current line-up. webOS was already near completion when Rubenstein was brought on-board.

anything you can do i can do better -- no you can't YES I CAN

i found this video -- not sure how but it happens -- made me angry at first but nice finish
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    unfortunately you're a bit late with this one!
    <<threads merged>>
    This is a very slick and positive review for the Touchpad.

"If HP can make a slightly thinner and lighter device they could be on the way to taking over that number one spot from Apple."

Feel free to email them click@bbc.co.uk to let then know what you think of their review.
    Palm Devices and WebOS -- News, Opinions, and App Reviews

Their article saying the touchpad failed and they want to sell their domain now basically. Geez people are harsh. I LOVE my tp & the future it holds.
    ilovedessert likes this.