Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718192021 26 ... LastLast
Like Tree121Likes
  1. END
    Global Posts
    256 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    my screen is great
    I am glad you are happy with your screen.
    I am sure for many it will be fine. It just was not up to the standard we were expecting.

Mad about the reviews so far?
    Try this review from MobileTechReview (30 minutes)

I like it.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by augustofretes View Post
    If you want visual obviousness, then compare the games avaiable for the Touchpad (any you want) with Infinity Blade.
    That has more to do with the specific engine than the TouchPad. Try harder.
    Quote Originally Posted by END View Post
    Very short and sweet-

Waited since January to buy the Touchpad and...
    The Screen is not up to par. It needs to be brighter, and have better contrast and black levels. I have checked into the specs of other tablets, and confirmed what my eyes saw.

Since the screen is very important, this is probably going to kill it for us. Hopefully, the next Touchpad will improve in this area.

Yes, we did also notice the lags here and there that others have spoken of, but really I am fairly confident those will be taken care of, and would not have been a deal killer.

I noticed the TouchPad's screen was a bit dimmer than my Nook. To be honest, I rarely have the Nook at 100% brightness because it's TOO bright for me, especially when I'm reading in the dark. Also, a bright screen kills the battery.

I haven't taken the Touchpad outside yet to test in sunlight, but I don't have a real need to. For me it's not an outside device.
    For now my only issue with the touchpad is the lag that is experienced particularly when scrolling and opening apps on occasion.
    I found this excellent review from Tech Republic, nice statement "the iPad’s stiffest competition yet for individual business professionals"

HP TouchPad leapfrogs rivals in productivity | TechRepublic

The Video is even more explicit :Video: Where TouchPad trumps iPad:
    http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/hin...ductivity/8586

This is exactly the opening that HP needs, not to challenge iPad on its strengths (userinterface, entertainment) , but on its weaknesses (productivity and business use).

Entertainment and User Interface have to be good, but not better, if they can go after another market - 0h! - but webOS's useability is already better than iPad when you know how to use multitasking.

When I sit in a business meeting, I don't see a lot of iPads. I see them in the younger set, but not the boardroom set.

Also, looking at the teardown, I see lots of opportunity for optimization of the next version - I am sure it will be smaller, lighter and faster.

My reading of the reviews is that in 24 hours, it is the No. 2 tablet, and they have said they are running a marathon.
    Last edited by aharmsworth; 07/02/2011 at 12:39 PM.
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    One of my favorite reviewers, Lisa from mobiletechreview has posted her review. While I haven't looked at the entire video yet, her written pro and cons seems spot on and fair.

MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Discussion: HP TouchPad Video Review
    bluenote likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sooby77 View Post
    One of my favorite reviewers, Lisa from mobiletechreview has posted her review. While I haven't looked at the entire video yet, her written pro and cons seems spot on and fair.

MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Discussion: HP TouchPad Video Review
    Her video review is dated 7/2 and she says lag is not terrible, also she likes the way it feels in her hand.
    Her video shows the app marketplace, cool.

She is going to have a full review later on.

edit:
    she compares to Playbook which opens faster, she makes mention of the promised OTA
    720 video playback in Youtube is smoother than Xoom; she dragged some movie video from her laptop and said resolution was great
    Music-nice sounding Beats audio (had some bugginess finding loaded music but eventually found the video and music)
    Last edited by bluenote; 07/02/2011 at 02:43 PM.
    sooby77 likes this.
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Her video review is dated 7/2 and she says lag is not terrible, also she likes the way it feels in her hand.
    Her video shows the app marketplace, cool.

She is going to have a full review later on.
    She always does a video review first and then a full written review. I really like that. You get the best of both.
    Quote Originally Posted by sooby77 View Post
    She always does a video review first and then a full written review. I really like that. You get the best of both.
    She's showing bing maps also, says it found her location quickly.
    I like her as one of the best of all the reviewers, the calmness of her attitude creates some space for understanding that this is a good entry by HP which will be better as it grows in the marketplace.
    I am concerned that HP will be supporting Windows8 next year and webOS will be put in the back closet (HP rep showed me the slate at a conference but I was not interested) but I suppose a lot of this is up to webOS to carve out its marketplace space now while it has the spotlight.
    Hi all,

If she is finding the lag time not to be an issue...wait until the update Ruby is sending out...take care all, Jay

PS: I'm so sorry to report that I was just in Sam's but I was extremely pressed for time...I didn't look to see if the TouchPad was in or to try it.....Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    She actually came back to the lag at the end and demonstrated it again and said HP is going to fix it with an OTA update. She just seemed more calm about the issue than some of the other reviewers, more willing to believe the product is coming along and she said she loves webOS. She would be a great spokesperson for HP, I believed her.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    She actually came back to the lag at the end and demonstrated it again and said HP is going to fix it with an OTA update.
    Hi all,

HP needs to pressure reviewers to revisit the TouchPad shortly after the update hits....xoxoxo, jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

HP needs to pressure reviewers to revisit the TouchPad shortly after the update hits....xoxoxo, jay
    I never saw that worked.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    I just went to bestbuy and played around with a touchpad. I liked it to be honest. The size wasn't that noticeable till later. The unit I played with definitely had lag especially when i tried to open precentral in the broswer and mess around with the calendar. I watched the sample movie preview they had and the screen was gorgeous. Like I said earlier size wasn't a problem until I held a galaxy tab and ipad2 and they just feel significantly thinner and lighter to me. Overall if hp can iron out some of the rough edges they have a nice solid product with the tocuhpad. I didn't end up buying one. I can't stand ios as it is now and i refuse to be a beta tester for honeycomb or webos again.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Hi all,
    Glad you liked my loonngg video review. I worried I was pushing it when it came out longer than a sitcom . But I really wanted to cover as much as I could, especially the new app catalog and Pivot.

I've been a webOS fan for a long time and I had high hopes for the TouchPad. If HP addresses the issues like occasionally not drawing email windows, the mega-twitchy accelerometer and slow downs, this could be a winner. Especially with their drive to get more apps. I'm also registered as a webOS developer and I just received the latest newsletter than offers an impressive amount of support and resources for developers-- promising.

The full review will be out in a few more days. I really want to put it through its paces and see what updates come down the pipeline.

- Lisa
    Lisa G.
    Editor in Chief
    www.MobileTechReview.com
    sooby77, Lunar and CandyNJ6 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by pdagal View Post
    Hi all,
    Glad you liked my loonngg video review. I worried I was pushing it when it came out longer than a sitcom . But I really wanted to cover as much as I could, especially the new app catalog and Pivot.

I've been a webOS fan for a long time and I had high hopes for the TouchPad. If HP addresses the issues like occasionally not drawing email windows, the mega-twitchy accelerometer and slow downs, this could be a winner. Especially with their drive to get more apps. I'm also registered as a webOS developer and I just received the latest newsletter than offers an impressive amount of support and resources for developers-- promising.

The full review will be out in a few more days. I really want to put it through its paces and see what updates come down the pipeline.

- Lisa
    Lisa, thanks for your great efforts. I look forward to reading what you think of the device after the updates. I guess HP has been saying that an update will come within the month but I thought I heard Topolsky say that he grilled Ruby for an hour last week and got the impression that many of the bugs were already ironed out in the version at Palm HQ. Topolsky seems to be lining up a Fallon appearance July 18th so perhaps 2 weeks is a better estimate for the major update than a month, we'll have to wait and see.
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pdagal View Post
    Hi all,

- Lisa
    Lisa,

I just wanted to commend you on your reviews on your website. I always love watching your reviews. It's 'standardized' and always appear genuine and not overly 'filmed.' I was trying to figure out whether you have a twitter account to compliment you, but since you are here - nice job and keep you the good work!
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Thanks, sooby77 Our twitter site account is mobiletechrevie (silly twitter character limitation means we lose the last character of our name). My twitter account is lisagade.
    Lisa G.
    Editor in Chief
    www.MobileTechReview.com
    I love this device so far, I like the weight, it seems easier and softer on my hands than that hard polished metal which was the ipad1. The sound is amazing, the best feature though is one nobody is talking about and ***** reviewers keep saying its not available yet because the pre3 is not available.. that is the ability to answer your phone/sms from the pad. I used to charge on a touchstone and run around like an ***** when my phone rang. now my pad is all i need really. my phone can just be a glorified charged device.

btw i use the veer, it works awesome with calling/sms and so does my friends frankpre. all the reviewers who keep saying "I cant test this feature because the pre3 is not out yet" is an *****, which sadly are most of the reviews.
    ilovedessert likes this.