Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast
Like Tree121Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Some of the rhetoric on here is starting to sound disturbingly similar to the RIM co-CEOs' much-lampooned "it's not fair" quotes.
    i actually believe its fair to compare with the market NOW..

HP made the mistake (hardware wise at least) to base on last years product.. and not aiming for ing it...

however software wise i see a mixed bag.. some good some bad.. nothing terrible..
    Here is another fantastic HP TouchPad review from the folks at Macworld

Hands on with the HP TouchPad | Tablets | Macworld
    ~~~Asaseaban~~~
    good lord
    this thread is starting to get out of hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    good lord
    this thread is starting to get out of hand.
    Why? Because reviews in general are reflecting opinions that some of us here made months earlier?
    As big TP critic, I don't enjoy being right.

You know, many things criticized in reviews could be avoided.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    Why? Because reviews in general are reflecting opinions that some of us here made months earlier?
    As big TP critic, I don't enjoy being right.
    Tell you what i'm going to do.

I'm going to take a trip to a store near me, and have a look @ one personally. I'll even have my CC in hand.

If it impresses, I'll buy one on the spot, online or in the store.

I'm going to find out first hand how it is. (I'm expecting to be underwhelmed, but let's see)
    You know what I don't like?

The fact that people are jumping down people's throat regarding the Touchpad that is out starting tomorrow. That is whta was reviewed....did you want these reviews to give glowing praise because of future hopes and dreams?

No.

Most of the people here are WebOS fans so of course they look to the future because they have already decided WebOS is the OS they are sticking by....but why are people constantly making excuses?

HP for all intents and purposes are about to release an ok product. The bad part about "ok" is when there is the Juggernaut called Apple with their, per reviews, amazing product. And Samsung and Asus with their really good product.

HP isn't apple or google...they don't have that word of mouth/fan base that those two companies have. They simply won't move units without hitting things out of the park and thats the honest truth. Will that change in 6 months? Sure why not....but we can't just keep betting on the future.
    I just played with the TP for an hour. PLEASE...... BEFORE YOU DECIDE....... GO TRY ONE YOUR SELF. This part of a review captures my impressions, and I did not anticipate feeling that way:

"However, for people who couldn’t care less about the latest games and movies and just want to get work done in meetings and on airplanes, the HP TouchPad will be a breath of fresh air. I consider it the most productive tablet yet and the first one that can serve as a legitimate laptop replacement for professionals on the road."

I COULD NOT AGREE MORE. On a tablet (vs a PHONE) ,multi-tasking just feels very important...... TRY IT FIRST. Sure, it didn't save the Pre and they reference it, but I REALLY think they underestimate how much it will be a part of the average persons use on a tablet. In my (and that reviewers) opinion, just like desktops became peoples main devices and its hard to imagine owning one without true multitasking these days, the same will be with tablets that will in most ways replace the desktop.

I fly a lot, and to this day people will see me at a website while airborne (on my pre-) and ask if I'm online. I just say no and explain how I just load a webpage early in the day, leave that card up, and when I have time go back and read it. Sure, you can basically do that on the Ipad, but not nearly as well with calendars, movies or whatever is on the docket that day. I had done all of the above to try and crash the TP, and when I went to the Ipad, there really is no way to see what your running and flow between them. It just always bogged down hitting the home button, it totally felt old school after having about 6 or 7 cards open on the TP. I knew that the Ipad couldn't do it obviously, but I didn't expect it to feel so important.

Sure, on a phone multi-tasking is a nice feature, but not a deal breaker, its just a phone and not THAT useful enough to want to give in on the shortcomings to keep it for most. Its in your pocket most of the day. On a tablet...... I think its a way bigger deal, I could imagine working with all my cards up and just leaving things running/ stacked all day and being able to stop/start backup right where I left off as the days flow allowed. When I tried to imagine that on the Ipad I really couldn't.

Anyways, I don't have the dough, but if I did, prob the TP and cross my fingers the "fun" apps and couple of upgrades came through. I know that hopes for a lot, but the flow of the device is just hard to turn down, and even more so on a tablet that'd replace my laptop. And FWIW, the Best Buy guy who got the TP, once he saw how I was using/stacking the cards, he stood there and watched me play with it for a while. He seemed a little dumbfounded and was a little surprised, especially when I asked him to call me to test the call forwarding. He was like, "I had no idea that thing could do all that!" He was impressed, and recognized the benefits right away. If the average consumer can recognize it once shown like he did, they will sell a few units for sure. Hopefully its enough to get the app ball rolling big time.

Try it first before you doubt it. Stack a few emails, web pages and such, and imagine how you'd stop/start working throughout a day. How good would the apps have to be before you'd chose a desktop that did NOT have multi-tasking over one that did, but didn't have apps? Think about it.
    Last edited by Spitfire11; 06/30/2011 at 03:24 PM.
    Hi all,

Please everyone TAKE A DEEP BREATH AND RELAX!

Please go to video at the link below. I also have copied the last few paragraphs of the review, which deals with enterprise use....

Review: HP TouchPad is the productivity tablet | ZDNet

BTW with all of the carrying on in this thread, did any of you notice the HPQ (HP's ticker symbol) went up today...I think you should read the following.

(also keep in mind HP has the problem of releasing this after the ipad2).

Bottom line for business
    For business professionals intent on productivity, there’s a lot to like about the HP TouchPad. The email and multitasking capabilities alone are enough to give it an edge over the iPad. And, we haven’t even talked about the TouchPad’s ability to print (especially to HP printers) — another important asset for some professionals. The expanded Web browsing capabilities are huge, too. It allows the TouchPad to access a lot of sites (Flash and others) that aren’t accessible from the iPad. This can open the door to Web-based business apps and other important sites.

I expect a lot of the consumer-oriented reviews to hit the HP TouchPad pretty hard because of its bulkiness, lack of games and entertainment content, and fewness of third-party apps (although it’s ahead of Android Honeycomb and BlackBerry PlayBook when they launched). Those are all valid concerns and because of them I certainly wouldn’t recommend the TouchPad for the average consumer.

However, for people who couldn’t care less about the latest games and movies and just want to get work done in meetings and on airplanes, the HP TouchPad will be a breath of fresh air. I consider it the most productive tablet yet and the first one that can serve as a legitimate laptop replacement for professionals on the road.

I think a lot of business professionals will find the TouchPad to be exactly what they were hoping for in a tablet because it will allow them to work the way they are used to working, but do it in the convenient form factor of a multi-touch tablet. I would fully recommend the TouchPad to professionals if it weren’t for the performance issues and the fact that HP needs to add editing capability for Microsoft Word and Excel files (something HP says is coming “this summer”). With those two things in mind, I would recommend holding out until HP addresses those issues and adds more productivity apps to the catalog. I expect HP to keep pushing forward. Jeffery Ben, a Senior Product Manager on the TouchPad team, told me, “HP is committed to being on this journey for a long time.”

For professionals, the TouchPad is a solid first step.

Take care,

JAY
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    fxspec06 likes this.
    I tried the Touchpad an hour ago for about 30 minutes. At the Torrance, CA Best Buy (if anyone in the area is interested). I'm not gonna write any sort of full review but in general I'd say many the negative comments in most review are 100% correct. It was very slow to load apps. More often then not a card took 8 to 12 seconds to load. New cards in the same app, like the browsers, took similar lengths of time. Disappointed the app catalog can't be accessed. The demo units basically have no interesting apps loaded on them. It's a very bland presentation. It's heavy and yeah it feels noticeably thicker and heavier then a Galaxy tab 10.1 & ipad 2. Webpages where kinda slow to draw. Like i got the checkerbox if i swiped down. But many of these problems like slow loading apps lag while the photo app draws a new photo have been around since the pre minus so no idea why i hasn't been fixed. Regardless, I tried two different touchpads personally, and based on my personal use i was not impressed by it.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Not sure if this has been posted.

HP TouchPad review review | T3.com

quite a positive review from a tech magazine in the U.K.
    better than any other review ive seen
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Corpora View Post
    A troll is not a person who disagrees with your viewpoint. This is a concept that many of you are unable to grasp. These reviewers are not shills or trolling the community, they are espousing their honest opinion on the TouchPad. The fact that the majority of reviewers agree on the faults of the device speaks volumes; it's a consistent experience problem plaguing all reviewed TouchPads.

As for the cries that the TouchPad is a business tablet, there is no document editing supported on the device. Derek had to use the Memos app to write his review, and the app itself became slow and unstable at 1500 words. Although many claim that it's unfair to compare the TouchPad to the iPad 2, it's merely being compared to what is on the market now, particularly the market leaders. Why should the TouchPad be compared to devices released a year and a half ago? It may be the first generation tablet from HP but it's certainly not competing against the competitors' first generation line-ups.
    its ok I see it on the crackberry forums also as anyone who tries to tell the faults of the BlackBerry Playbook are called trolls and paid by apple
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I just played with a retail unit that came out of the box in front of me, and I think what reviewers got is different in many crucial areas from the retail units. For one, application load speed was much quicker than what was documented in the reviews. I noticed a little bit of stutter in the App Catalog, but it also appears that the App Catalog is going through the last stages of being finalized.

As far as the app situation however, I noticed a plethora of "for Touchpad" apps and I don't think a lot of them were Mojo made to work on the touchpad as they tended to have HD in the name. From my best estimate there was around 300 apps in the catalog compared to the 100 in the android market. So there is a leg up.

Also, I noticed a youtube app that isn't really a youtube app. It opens the browser. What is interesting about this is the url. It links to youtube.com of course, but with the designator of "client=hp-touchpad" The site wasn't active when I tried to go to it, but I imagine that it is in response to the youtube performance of the actual youtube site. So high hopes for youtube based on that.

Ultimately, based on my experience I was pleased with the experience and I have decided that the touchpad is the tablet for me.
    Sprint Palm Pre
    Sprint Palm Pixi
    ilovedessert likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    I tried the Touchpad an hour ago for about 30 minutes. At the Torrance, CA Best Buy (if anyone in the area is interested). I'm not gonna write any sort of full review but in general I'd say many the negative comments in most review are 100% correct. It was very slow to load apps. More often then not a card took 8 to 12 seconds to load. New cards in the same app, like the browsers, took similar lengths of time. Disappointed the app catalog can't be accessed. The demo units basically have no interesting apps loaded on them. It's a very bland presentation. It's heavy and yeah it feels noticeably thicker and heavier then a Galaxy tab 10.1 & ipad 2. Webpages where kinda slow to draw. Like i got the checkerbox if i swiped down. But many of these problems like slow loading apps lag while the photo app draws a new photo have been around since the pre minus so no idea why i hasn't been fixed. Regardless, I tried two different touchpads personally, and based on my personal use i was not impressed by it.
    That's not at all the experience I just had at Best Buy. Mine was fast and snappy. Not sure what to tell ya.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunar View Post
    ...Ultimately, based on my experience I was pleased with the experience and I have decided that the touchpad is the tablet for me.
    And this folks, is the ultimate review.

The person buying. If he/she likes it, and willing to pay the money, that's the bottom line.

Those that don't like, why don't you just move on to something you do like?
    ilovedessert likes this.
    Another review, this from PC mag!
    HP TouchPad (Wi-Fi) Review & Rating | PCMag.com
    "Like most other tablets on the market right now, I’m far more excited about the device’s potential than I am about the product I have in my hands today. Honeycomb could be great with a visual overhaul, more attention to detail and some unique, defining features. The BlackBerry PlayBook could be great with, well, an email client (among other things). And the TouchPad could be great some day too, but not today."
    -Zach Epstein (BGR)
    Last edited by sapient2k7; 06/30/2011 at 09:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    That's not at all the experience I just had at Best Buy. Mine was fast and snappy. Not sure what to tell ya.
    You don't need to tell me anything. I used 3 of the 4 touchpads on display. Everyone of them had the same software issues. And they were different GB versions of touchpads. It is what it is. It's my experience real world experience. And it was just not a good experience.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 06/30/2011 at 10:46 PM.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    You don't need to tell me anything. I used 3 of the 4 touchpads on display. Everyone of them had the same software issues. And they were different GB versions of touchpads. It is what it is. It's my experience real world experience. And it was just not a good experience.
    Maybe they needed to be restarted :P. I'll go swing by the Torrance BB tomorrow, though I won't be picking one up ('till I can convince myself that it can replace my laptop for on the go communication).
    Quote Originally Posted by augustofretes View Post
    To all people claiming how testing it is the way to go:

You should really consider the opinion from people who has actually used the damn thing for more than 15 minutes on best buy... (specially if these people job is to review devices, since they're familiarized with the alternatives too).

The HP Touchpad is inferior hardware-wise: the build quality is truly subpar
    Size and and materials, maybe are subpar. But what else is? Is the cpu slower than the ipad? Does it have less ram? Because those are the things that actually matter, not what it's made out of or how many fingerprints it attracts.

(actually, for the record, the GPU is faaaar from the GPU on the iPad 2).
    I'm anxiously awaiting the proof to back that up.

On the other hand, WebOS has many great concepts, but that's it. The OS itself isn't good, as have been endlessly proved by the fact that is never been smooth, it have always been sluggish and buggy, the apps take centuries to load, just go look at Engadget review, look at the video, look how long apps take to open (look at QuickOffice, which actually never loads, in the whole video), read what Joshua (at thisismynext) said, Gizmodo freak out about the performance issues (the issue with registering touchs is still here, I've have experience the retarted taps on previous devices), read the review here at precentral, Derek is trying to be not to harsh on it. Look at any video, hear the people who have used it.

It may get fixed with OTA updates, but this promise has been held way to long for me to care anymore, I can't help but to think the problem is WebOS, good ideas on paper, but crappy engineers.
    I guess that's a goodbye letter then?
    Bye?
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    The HP Touchpad is inferior hardware-wise: the build quality is truly subpar (actually, for the record, the GPU is faaaar from the GPU on the iPad 2).
    Wow, someone should do their homework. There is nothing wrong with the build quality. In fact, the reviewers have said it feels sturdy, and in my hands it felt sturdy. Now size and weight, honestly that is about opinion, because I honestly like the weight of it over the iPad 2. The iPad is too light in my opinion. As for the GPU, yet again how about doing some homework. The Adreno 220 in the TP is actually more powerful than the PowerVR SGX 543MP2 in the iPad 2.

On the other hand, WebOS has many great concepts, but that's it. The OS itself isn't good, as have been endlessly proved by the fact that is never been smooth, it have always been sluggish and buggy, the apps take centuries to load, just go look at Engadget review, look at the video, look how long apps take to open (look at QuickOffice, which actually never loads, in the whole video), read what Joshua (at thisismynext) said, Gizmodo freak out about the performance issues (the issue with registering touchs is still here, I've have experience the retarted taps on previous devices), read the review here at precentral, Derek is trying to be not to harsh on it. Look at any video, hear the people who have used it.
    For sluggishness, name me a mobile os that has no sluggishness. I'll admit that iOS is far better optimized than any other, but how about some android? Play with honeycomb which runs on a chipset never intended to push the resolution set by google as their tablet standard. Honeycomb is stutter city, plus anyone who has ever used android is more than familiar with force closes. So we can't really say that it is the poster child for stability. About quickoffice, ever think about closing it and reopening it? Anyone who knows how to use a computer is familiar with apps not responding (Windows anyone?) What do you do in that situation? Oh that's right end process and reopen the application. So ask me what I think about that reviewers "expertise."

It may get fixed with OTA updates, but this promise has been held way to long for me to care anymore, I can't help but to think the problem is WebOS, good ideas on paper, but crappy engineers.
    If that's how you feel, then it is obvious you have never written any software or used anything that is man made. Name me one product on the face of the planet that is perfect. You can't. The webOS engineers are actually some of the best in the industry. Now you might ask how do I know this? Well, if you actually knew anything about the history of webOS, you would know that the majority of the design team are the engineers who left apple that were responsible for designing the iPhone and your precious iOS.

Also, Jon Rubenstein is the man who was in charge of the ENTIRE apple hardware design team for everything from Macs to the creation of the iPod.

Bottom line is, you apparently have not done your homework, and if you leave the community, oh well. Goodbye.
    Sprint Palm Pre
    Sprint Palm Pixi