Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
Like Tree121Likes
    Another decent HP TouchPad review

HP TouchPad tablet | Decent review
    ~~~Asaseaban~~~
    I agree.

A review should not be a gigantic product comparison. It should go down the list of it's features and how well it performs those features.

A paragraph at the end comparing it to the competition is fine, but not the entire review.
    I for one didn't like Derek's review. I sort of like AC's not-too-detailed approach, and webOS Roundup breaking it up into chunks. Even splitting it into two parts, Derek's review was just too much.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    I for one didn't like Derek's review. I sort of like AC's not-too-detailed approach, and webOS Roundup breaking it up into chunks. Even splitting it into two parts, Derek's review was just too much.

I thought it was really really thorough, so not good for people who wanted a succinct review.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by mindonmillions08 View Post
    no offense but I for one am glad that you have no hand in the update process of webos
    Man this is reality, 2 years to Enyo, another 2 before its really smooth. If I was involved, it would be way different, atleast hardware would be on par with tab and few basic software things will never be overlooked. I know for I run a 20 million center here.
    Hi all,

I found the portion dealing with enterprise use the most interesting. Please go to the link I am including and see the video marked:

Video: Where TouchPad trumps iPad

Take care,

Jay

ZDnet Review: HP TouchPad is the productivity tablet
    By Jason Hiner | June 30, 2011, 5:30am PDT

Review: HP TouchPad is the productivity tablet | ZDNet

Bottom line for business
    For business professionals intent on productivity, there’s a lot to like about the HP TouchPad. The email and multitasking capabilities alone are enough to give it an edge over the iPad. And, we haven’t even talked about the TouchPad’s ability to print (especially to HP printers) — another important asset for some professionals. The expanded Web browsing capabilities are huge, too. It allows the TouchPad to access a lot of sites (Flash and others) that aren’t accessible from the iPad. This can open the door to Web-based business apps and other important

I expect a lot of the consumer-oriented reviews to hit the HP TouchPad pretty hard because of its bulkiness, lack of games and entertainment content, and fewness of third-party apps (although it’s ahead of Android Honeycomb and BlackBerry PlayBook when they launched). Those are all valid concerns and because of them I certainly wouldn’t recommend the TouchPad for the average consumer.

However, for people who couldn’t care less about the latest games and movies and just want to get work done in meetings and on airplanes, the HP TouchPad will be a breath of fresh air. I consider it the most productive tablet yet and the first one that can serve as a legitimate laptop replacement for professionals on the road.

I think a lot of business professionals will find the TouchPad to be exactly what they were hoping for in a tablet because it will allow them to work the way they are used to working, but do it in the convenient form factor of a multi-touch tablet. I would fully recommend the TouchPad to professionals if it weren’t for the performance issues and the fact that HP needs to add editing capability for Microsoft Word and Excel files (something HP says is coming “this summer”). With those two things in mind, I would recommend holding out until HP addresses those issues and adds more productivity apps to the catalog. I expect HP to keep pushing forward. Jeffery Ben, a Senior Product Manager on the TouchPad team, told me, “HP is committed to being on this journey for a long time.”

For professionals, the TouchPad is a solid first step.

Video: Where TouchPad trumps iPad
    To see the TouchPad in action, check out my video, Three areas where HP TouchPad trumps the iPad.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Rennat and sweet greggo like this.
    One thing that the TouchPad doesn't always give you is a blazing-fast response. Quite a lot of the time, you're left gazing at its tail-chasing white circle icon as it communicates with HP's or other companies' servers. The rendering isn't always the fastest, and sometimes I found that trying to drag items (such as columns in the Mail app) wasn't as responsive as I would have wished. Similarly, the orientation sensor wasn't always correct, and wasn't always quick to correct itself either. You'll often find yourself waiting quite a while before an app starts up – which is a good reason not to shut any of them down ever.

There's no video out, which on its face is a huge mistake. That will limit how much penetration the TouchPad can get; without video out, it's not going to be the ideal product for sales teams to take to offices and show off. Perhaps that's going to come in the next version.

Tick-list:
    • 9.7in capacitative screen, 1024x768 (4:3 ratio)
    • Dual-core ARM Snapdragon (the APQ8060) at up to 1.2GHz
    • 1GB of RAM
    • 16GB or 32GB
    • Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n
    • Bluetooth 2.1+EDR compatibility
    • light sensor, accelerometer, compass, and gyro
    • 1.3 megapixel front-facing webcam (note: no rear camera).
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackbone View Post
    HP whiffed with this. This has nothing to do with webOS(which is genius) it has to do with the execution, and in that, they failed.
    It's stuff like this (and the fact that it's allowed to continue) that makes this forum so irritating at times.

How in the world can you, or anyone else possibly say that the execution has "failed", when it's not out yet?

It's simple. You can't. You can say you think it's going to fail, but to say that the execution has failed is simply factually incorrect. It hasn't even happened yet. You don't know how successful the sales are going to be. Further, HP has made it clear in many ways, including explicitly stating so, that they're not in this for the short term. So, if a year from now, sales are lagging, then one can say they failed in the execution. For now though, it's hyperbolic tea leaf reading to make that claim.
    fxspec06 likes this.
    Inconsistent performance - My biggest beef with the TouchPad is performance. It has a 1.2GHz dual core Qualcomm Snapdragon CPU and 1GB of RAM, so it’s got the hardware to really move, and there are times when it flies between tasks and apps and runs great. However, there are also times when it unexpectedly chugs, freezes, or gets really slow. I never had it crash, but there were 8-10 times over the period of one week where it slowed to a halt. That’s too many. I suspect this is a software issue and asked HP about it. The company responded that performance improvements are part of an over-the-air update for the TouchPad that will arrive after launch.
    For many people, if it's not an iPad that runs webos, it's a failure.
    Bulky form factor - The look of the HP TouchPad echoes the first generation iPad. It has the same rounded corners and curved backplate, only it’s black instead of silver and plastic instead of aluminum. Of course, by the time the TouchPad landed, Apple had already come out with the thinner and lighter second-generation iPad. By comparison, the TouchPad feels bulky and heavy.
    This is way too positive.
    Obviously paid off by HP.
    Entertainment gap - The one big area where the TouchPad falls short of the iPad is in entertainment — music, movies, and games. Some of you will say, “That doesn’t matter for a business device.” However, a lot of the professionals I know with iPads love to use them to watch movies during flights on business trips. The size of a tablet is perfect for a tray table or a lap, and it’s much nicer than wrestling with a laptop. The TouchPad simply doesn’t have the app or entertainment catalog to compete with Apple’s iTunes or iOS ecosystem. However, if it could partner with Amazon, it could make up a lot of ground very quickly, at least on the entertainment side. Since Amazon has its Kindle app on the TouchPad at launch, at least there’s some potential there.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    How in the world can you, or anyone else possibly say that the execution has "failed", when it's not out yet?
    He works for Apple.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

The review also says
    Inconsistent performance - My biggest beef with the TouchPad is performance. It has a 1.2GHz dual core Qualcomm Snapdragon CPU and 1GB of RAM, so it’s got the hardware to really move, and there are times when it flies between tasks and apps and runs great. However, there are also times when it unexpectedly chugs, freezes, or gets really slow. I never had it crash, but there were 8-10 times over the period of one week where it slowed to a halt. That’s too many. I suspect this is a software issue and asked HP about it. The company responded that performance improvements are part of an over-the-air update for the TouchPad that will arrive after launch.
    Bulky form factor - The look of the HP TouchPad echoes the first generation iPad. It has the same rounded corners and curved backplate, only it’s black instead of silver and plastic instead of aluminum. Of course, by the time the TouchPad landed, Apple had already come out with the thinner and lighter second-generation iPad. By comparison, the TouchPad feels bulky and heavy.
    Entertainment gap - The one big area where the TouchPad falls short of the iPad is in entertainment — music, movies, and games. Some of you will say, “That doesn’t matter for a business device.” However, a lot of the professionals I know with iPads love to use them to watch movies during flights on business trips. The size of a tablet is perfect for a tray table or a lap, and it’s much nicer than wrestling with a laptop. The TouchPad simply doesn’t have the app or entertainment catalog to compete with Apple’s iTunes or iOS ecosystem. However, if it could partner with Amazon, it could make up a lot of ground very quickly, at least on the entertainment side. Since Amazon has its Kindle app on the TouchPad at launch, at least there’s some potential there.
    I guarantee the Endgadget reviewer was an apple ******, that was just harsh.
    Sent from my Verizon Pre2
    Quote Originally Posted by pow12390 View Post
    I guarantee the Endgadget reviewer was an apple ******, that was just harsh.
    It definitely was.

That's why you just have to take reviews with a grain of salt. Make your own review after reviewing.

Best educated decision you can make.. not off of someone else's opinion.
    pow12390 likes this.
    Wonderful! That was very hopeful. Especially where I thought the Touchpad destroyed it's competition (also where WebOS always has): productivity! For some, this isn't just a fancy piece of tech for watching Netflix. Some want it so they can work! I want it as a digital journal, keeping records of images and ideas that inspire me (both for music and for photography). Plus! To keep up with my internship. IPad cannot keep up with me. Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    He works for Apple.

LOL. Then I missed the check this month from Cupertino. Puhleeze, I'm calling it like I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    It's stuff like this (and the fact that it's allowed to continue) that makes this forum so irritating at times.

It's simple. You can't. You can say you think it's going to fail, but to say that the execution has failed is simply factually incorrect. It hasn't even happened yet. You don't know how successful the sales are going to be. Further, HP has made it clear in many ways, including explicitly stating so, that they're not in this for the short term. So, if a year from now, sales are lagging, then one can say they failed in the execution. For now though, it's hyperbolic tea leaf reading to make that claim.
    Surely I can. I will again. HP has failed with this. TAPS started playing the minute the review embargo was lifted.

I don't know the exact quantity they'll move, but there's something called an "educated guess." We reach these conclusions by taking a look at previous history, analyzing the data, and then come to the conclusion.

Every other tablet that's been released so far that comes in at the same price as the market leader or higher (iPad) and lack's its polish, has failed. I don't think anyone here can say with a straight face, that the Touchpad is polished. It's a rushed product.

What's the common theme running through most of the reviews? It has potential, but it has a whole host of issues. No apps.

I'm sorry if this frustrates you, but in today's market, you can't release halfbaked technology products and expect to gain any traction. We've seen this play out with the Pre, and it's deja vu all over again.

If you don't gain traction, you don't gain development. If you don't have developers, you have no applications.

Conclusion : It's going to sell poorly.

Additionally the only tablet that HAS gained even a bit of traction is the ASUS Transformer. Why? Price. ($399)

So, I can say with confidence that this experiment is going to fail. Let's just hope HP has the stomach and will to make webOS something worth noticing. As of right now, it's neat, it does some things wonderfully, but it's WELL short of what the market demands (polish and applications).
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackbone View Post

LOL. Then I missed the check this month from Cupertino. Puhleeze, I'm calling it like I see it.

Surely I can. I will again. HP has failed with this. TAPS started playing the minute the review embargo was lifted.

I don't know the exact quantity they'll move, but there's something called an "educated guess." We reach these conclusions by taking a look at previous history, analyzing the data, and then come to the conclusion.

Every other tablet that's been released so far that comes in at the same price as the market leader or higher (iPad) and lack's it's polish, has failed. I don't think anyone here can say with a straight face, that the Touchpad is polished. It's a rushed product.

What's the common theme running through most of the reviews? It has potential, but it has a whole host of issues. No apps.

I'm sorry if this frustrates you, but in today's market, you can't release halfbaked technology products and expect to gain any traction. We've seen this play out with the Pre, and it's deja vu all over again.

If you don't gain traction, you don't gain development. If you don't have developers, you have no applications.

Conclusion : It's going to sell poorly.

Additionally the only tablet that HAS gained even a bit of traction is the ASUS Transformer. Why? Price. ($399)

So, I can say with confidence that this experiment is going to fail. Let's just hope HP has the stomach and will to make webOS something worth noticing. As of right now, it's neat, it does some things wonderfully, but it's WELL short of what the market demands (polish and applications).
    you sir are ... Nevrmind..

According to you .. GooG should back out.. Bc the Xoom didn't sell well.. Oh but wait the Galaxy 10.1 is coming.. But that doesn't matter..

These types of comments are childish & idiotic. Just like the days of mac.. "there no apps for mac, it sucks, don't get it, it has fail written all over it, they wont even be around in a couple of years, they should just go bankrupt now & put themselves out of misery"

More choice is better for consumers.. And its very likely webOS will succeed. What goes up MUST come down, when you're down the only other direction is up..... You just got to be in it for the long haul

fxspec06 likes this.