Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
Like Tree121Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    Because HP copied the ipad specs basically to the t.
    Actually, that's factually incorrect.
    fxspec06 likes this.
    Incredible from Engadget. "Tablets shouldn't have rear cameras, but this doesnt and thats bad."
    fxspec06 likes this.
    Sorry to be anal about language but just a few thoughts:

Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    I get the feeling HP came very close to nailing it. They needed a grand slam but instead hit the top of the foul pole.
    The "foul pole" is actually in fair territory so hitting the top of the foul pole would actually be a home run. I don't think HP hit a home run so I'd say that analog is a bit off.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    That's true. The Wii was slammed in reviews as compared to the Xbox 360 and the PS3 and look how that went.
    You may not be aware of it but Xbox 360 continues to trounce the other platforms and the Wii has had poor sales for more then a year. It is currently third in sales. How that went? Not well.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    How that went:

Best HP Touchpad review thus far by Ars technica; non-biased and comprehensive.

webOS takes on tablets: Ars reviews the HP TouchPad
    ~~~Asaseaban~~~
    I do agree, having now read the review, it is good, thorough and unbiased. To bad more reviews arent nearly as honest.
    Quote Originally Posted by augustofretes View Post
    Gizmodo review:

Conclusions:
    its a chicken and egg problem for HP. yes 6 months baking may improve the system, but thats also 6 months lost for attracting app developers and 6 months too old for an already not very competitive hardwares.

Its difficult.
    Last edited by clevin; 06/30/2011 at 05:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    How you can say 1.2Ghz dual core CPU, 1 GB Ram, Beats audio, 18-bit IPS Screen with Oleophobic coating is inferior kinda baffles me.
    thats the thing, many reviewers are asking the same question, with this type of good hardware, how can it be so slow? and thats the question HP needs to answer.

several reviews also bring up galaxy tab. Honestly, I don't think any review suggested touchpad is the "2nd best".

Another question I have is that, if like you said, "everybody knows its not as good as iPad2", then why the hell does HP price the thing the same as iPad2? After all, several reviews mentioned that this could be a great product if its cheaper.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    thats the thing, many reviewers are asking the same question, with this type of good hardware, how can it be so slow? and thats the question HP needs to answer.

several reviews also bring up galaxy tab. Honestly, I don't think any review suggested touchpad is the "2nd best".

Another question I have is that, if like you said, "everybody knows its not as good as iPad2", then why the hell does HP price the thing the same as iPad2? After all, several reviews mentioned that this could be a great product if its cheaper.
    Bingo.

However I was shouted down for bringing up the same points.

If it's to be the same price as the market leader, then it had better get damn close with the hardware and software.

This thing failed miserably in the software department. HP it's not too late. Price it at 399/499. Throw in the touchstone. Do something.

This might wind up worse than the Playbook in the sales Dept.

Lastly, if you are blindly believing anything Rubenstein is spewing about OTA updates, you need your head examined.
    Wow . I was debating the TOuchpad but after these reviews I went and got a different tablet this morning, Very disapointed. I really thought the Touchpad would save webos and become a viable tablet. shame. (Only my opinion from reading reviews and watching the videos. Sure some will like it)
    I feel really conflicted by everything relating to these reviews.

On the one hand, the positive points and the negative points seem pretty consistent across a wide variety of reviews. It's not like everyone is having vastly different experiences with the TouchPad. Yet, even though I see commonalities about the strengths (everyone seems to love the webOS experience, and to think that the tablet is "close")...which makes me feel that there still may be something worthwhile here...I feel held back because of the commonalities about the weaknesses (the fact that most reviews also say that that tablet *isn't there yet*, that they can't honestly recommend this over similarly priced alternatives [and perhaps to say that HP shouldn't have priced at this level].)

The responses by webOS fans have been just as much the rollercoaster. I cringe whenever I see people saying, "After I read these reviews I canceled my preorder..." Yet, I also cringe whenever I see the posts saying that any review that highlights negative aspects and dealbreakers must be biased (to me, the widespread agreement between reviews suggests that whatever the writers' sentiments may be, they are at least describing an objective reality about the TouchPad.)

I can sympathize with both positions. I understand that most of us have been in the position of getting a product that wasn't there yet, and then simply hoping that fixes would come OTA to bring it up to par...and I understand that most of us have lost out from such a value proposition and don't want to get burned again. The TouchPad being priced with the current best-of-pack options doesn't help things at all. (I'm really wondering if what many of these reviews say is true: would it have been better for HP to price more cheaply? Would that be decisive in making the TouchPad worth it?)

...at the same time, it seems like this is the same cycle as ever. There are no buyers because there are no apps. There are no apps because developers have no customer base.

I am beginning to wonder if webOS isn't fundamentally flawed. I don't know much about programming or OS development, but the distinction between compiled languages and interpreted languages seems somewhat salient to me. What if it's the case that webOS simply can't be "buttery smooth" -- that hoping on uncertain "updates" or "upgrades" to the capacity to interpret the code behind webOS is a bad faith decision? What if, even with code base rewrites and revisions (even wholescale moves from Mojo to Enyo, for example) won't fix it?

The PDK seemed to have promise, but even here, there seem to be hangups. Namely, many developers aren't developing apps so smoothly with it. (I can't understand WHY after all this time they can't get office editing capabilities unless there is still something we don't know about PDK app development. It used to be that the reason was because it's not feasible without PDK-like features. But now, on the eave of the TouchPad launch, HP may have switched from Docs to Go to QuickOffice, but we are still without document editing.)

In some way, if this were the half-hidden truth, I would be sad. Because even if webOS were fundamentally flawed, I think as well that it has fundamental promise. Maybe I would prefer reviews that were unequivocal and said everything suck, but that's not what I'm seeing. I'm torn because I'm seeing reviews that say Close, but not quite.
    German quick review heise.de

Ausprobiert | heise mobil

- WebOS on tablet is fun to use and mutlitasking using cards and the panels is better than iOS,Android.
    - 5h video playtime with full brightness
    - good display
    - good cloud integration
    - flash crashes sometimes the whole browser
    - long app booting time and sporadic hangs for several seconds are bugging
    Full review in c't Magazine
    Quote Originally Posted by subversiveasset View Post

On the one hand, the positive points and the negative points seem pretty consistent across a wide variety of reviews. It's not like everyone is having vastly different experiences with the TouchPad.

In some way, if this were the half-hidden truth, I would be sad. Because even if webOS were fundamentally flawed, I think as well that it has fundamental promise. Maybe I would prefer reviews that were unequivocal and said everything suck, but that's not what I'm seeing. I'm torn because I'm seeing reviews that say Close, but not quite.
    there is another effective way to compete, you know, other than trying to fix traditional webOS slowness, or app lack-age, which both take significant amount of time (obviously they still need to do these).

as Ars said:

It's a shame that one tablet manufacturer after another falls into this pricing lockstep for fear of being perceived as the "cheap" alternative.

The HP TouchPad, if it were less expensive, could be an extremely strong, if slightly less polished, alternative to the iPad.
    HP doesn't even have that "perceived as cheap" excuse, no review think its not "on the cheap side" to begin with. As Joshua Toposky said:
    In all, the feel of the device is a touch on the cheaper side of things; I certainly wouldn’t describe it as “premium.”
    Last edited by clevin; 06/30/2011 at 06:31 AM.

On the one hand, the positive points and the negative points seem pretty consistent across a wide variety of reviews. It's not like everyone is having vastly different experiences with the TouchPad. Yet, even though I see commonalities about the strengths (everyone seems to love the webOS experience, and to think that the tablet is "close")...which makes me feel that there still may be something worthwhile here...I feel held back because of the commonalities about the weaknesses (the fact that most reviews also say that that tablet *isn't there yet*, that they can't honestly recommend this over similarly priced alternatives [and perhaps to say that HP shouldn't have priced at this level].)

The responses by webOS fans have been just as much the rollercoaster. I cringe whenever I see people saying, "After I read these reviews I canceled my preorder..." Yet, I also cringe whenever I see the posts saying that any review that highlights negative aspects and dealbreakers must be biased (to me, the widespread agreement between reviews suggests that whatever the writers' sentiments may be, they are at least describing an objective reality about the TouchPad.)

I can sympathize with both positions. I understand that most of us have been in the position of getting a product that wasn't there yet, and then simply hoping that fixes would come OTA to bring it up to par...and I understand that most of us have lost out from such a value proposition and don't want to get burned again. The TouchPad being priced with the current best-of-pack options doesn't help things at all. (I'm really wondering if what many of these reviews say is true: would it have been better for HP to price more cheaply? Would that be decisive in making the TouchPad worth it?)

...at the same time, it seems like this is the same cycle as ever. There are no buyers because there are no apps. There are no apps because developers have no customer base.

I am beginning to wonder if webOS isn't fundamentally flawed. I don't know much about programming or OS development, but the distinction between compiled languages and interpreted languages seems somewhat salient to me. What if it's the case that webOS simply can't be "buttery smooth" -- that hoping on uncertain "updates" or "upgrades" to the capacity to interpret the code behind webOS is a bad faith decision? What if, even with code base rewrites and revisions (even wholescale moves from Mojo to Enyo, for example) won't fix it?

The PDK seemed to have promise, but even here, there seem to be hangups. Namely, many developers aren't developing apps so smoothly with it. (I can't understand WHY after all this time they can't get office editing capabilities unless there is still something we don't know about PDK app development. It used to be that the reason was because it's not feasible without PDK-like features. But now, on the eave of the TouchPad launch, HP may have switched from Docs to Go to QuickOffice, but we are still without document editing.)

Most revieweres agree they are "close". If they are promising an OTA soon that will fix most of this, lets give them a chance. I think I saw on twitter that they have hired some more devs recently.
    We've lived without a tablet for a long time and have done OK, we can wait through the summer and see where they are by mid-September.
    fxspec06 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Most revieweres agree they are "close". If they are promising an OTA soon that will fix most of this, lets give them a chance. I think I saw on twitter that they have hired some more devs recently.
    We've lived without a tablet for a long time and have done OK, we can wait through the summer and see where they are by mid-September.
    I guess 3-6 weeks (numbers I've read about the OTA) are the new "in the coming months".
    It's WebOS on a tablet.

I'll give everyone a minute to read all that and let it sink in.

It's WebOS on a tablet.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

I guess 3-6 weeks (numbers I've read about the OTA) are the new "in the coming months".
    Even many of the reviewers who experienced the bugs still appreciated the beauty and creativity of webOS. It is hard to bring something new in the world, I'm sure you can appreciate that from some of your own creative efforts.
    fxspec06 likes this.
    Does WebOS 1.0 represent what we think of the Palm Pre and Pre Plus for? No we remember it for 1.4.5.

Is Android Cupcake what we think of when we look at a new Android phone today? No, we think of Froyo and Gingerbread.

Do we think of the old-school click wheel when we think of iOS? No, we think of today's iOS5 software.

Time will heal, Enyo is just fine. It takes time to make good working software, no matter how many programmers you have, no matter how huge a company you have. There will always be initial bugs. Don't expect anyone to make a new OS bug free the first time, it just won't happen. It's the nature of programming. HP made this in one year.

You can't just throw money at the problem or hire new devs, that won't fix anything. What WILL fix things, though, is getting the tablet into people's hands so HP can gather data and input, and release updates more quickly.

Go ahead and flame, blah blah coming months this, no updates that, that's all child's play and I'm sure HP isn't concerned (or worried) about that. Any dev would agree.
    Last edited by fxspec06; 06/30/2011 at 07:22 AM.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

ilovedessert likes this.
    Just lower the price. It's a middle pack tab with a premium price tag. Lower price will help

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    IcerC and Sapient2k7 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Besides, QuickOffice isn't open source, I suspect you're thinking of Open Office.
    I think you may be right.... hmm.....