Like Tree9Likes
  • 9 Post By schabba
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,
    today I received my preordered HP Touchpad in Germany. I was a bit wondering when I saw the delivery notification mail this morning because the planned delivery date was 7th of July, but it actually arrived today. Was send out yesterday evening. Really amazing.

And guess what: the Touchpad is amazing. I played around 5 hours now and will play some more.
    The case I ordered is also really nice. Full body protection.

Just some impressions on the Touchpad:

Beats Audio is really nice. The sound is the best I ever heard. But I am missing a DLNA client to stream my music from the Homeserver.

Skype is also included under the telephone app. Just sign in and you can call your Skype contact.....nice really nice

Amazon Kindle App is also included BUT only if you select United States as your location (I do because I want my Touchpad in English and not German), but unfortunately I am not able to use it. When launching the App it states that the application is not available in my country. I reseted the Touchpad and installed it with UK English and there was no Kindle App preinstalled. Seems to be only for US. Hope that it will come to Germany soon.

Pre2 connection works fine to make calls, send SMS and get the notifications.

When installing the device with the same Palm Profile it automatically creates a second device in the profile called Touchpad.

Guys I really really love the Touchpad and I hope you will too once you receive it in the states..... still wondering why Germany got it prio to the official launch date on 1st of July......

Just a quick first impression from me.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    I would email HP/Palm about Kindle, though perhaps they didn't get around to localizing it or something.

But sounds like HP Germany pulled the trigger a bit too early.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    how are original mojo apps thats transfered over to the touchpad working? i heard they had some compatibility issues and was wondering if u came accross ne...
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    I'm sure you have got enough to do playing with your new toy but can you list the included apps and how they work ? eg Is skype full blown video calling, can you edit docs at all or just view, youtube, twitter, facebook, etc etc etc etc. So many rumour and counter-rumour !!! enjoy it anyway.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Did you order at HP or elsewhere, if so where. I'm really impatient but first want to know wether I will be able to buy apps in the Netherlands.

How do you switch between virtual keyboard layouts? Is QWERTZ automatically there when selecting German and QWERTY (& pound sign) automatically when selecting UK? I would like to be able to select QWERTY with euro sign.
  6.    #6  
    Following apps are preinstalled:

- Web
    - email
    - Calender
    - Quickoffice (just viewing, no edition --> Data from: Box.net, Dropbox, Google, MobileMe can be added)
    - Adobe Reader (see Quickoffice accounts to be added)
    - Maps (seems to be Bing Map, no GoogleMaps)
    - Contacts
    - Phone & Video Calls (Skype is integrated here, contacts can be dialed from the Contacts --> sorry can not test at the moment)
    - Music
    - Photo & Video
    - HP App Catalog
    - Facebook
    - Amazone Kindle
    - Youtube

These are listed under APPS, all other that you install from the app catalog get listed under Downloads (can be changed), Also Favorites are possible.

There is no Twitter app integrated.

After initial setup updates for HP APP Catalog, Adobe Reader and Facebook got installed.
  7.    #7  
    Mojo apps are running, but in the "pre emulator", that means, it seams that a pre is on the display and it runs the application.
    For my impression a bit small to use, therefore I uninstalled them.

Real Touchpad applications are marked with Touchpad over "free" or "price tag" in the market. They are fullscreen or HD as they are called (Angy birds f.ex.) Mojo version is running but not with a smooth graphic, a lot of pixls.
  8.    #8  
    Keyboard layout can be selected. Default is Qerty English, when installing English.
    You can switch the Layout (azerty, qwertz, qwerty) and the language seperalty. So you could use f.ex. qwerty and German, which should get the Euro sign.

Keyboard language to select are: German, English, French and Spanish.

You also can add multiple Keyboard layout which can be changed during typing by pressing one button.

Euro sign is always available under symbols. Not directly on the keyboard.
  9.    #9  
    Youtube is just a link that launches the Web Browser and goes to YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

It is the same view as on my PC, Flash running really good....
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Great!!!! No the only thing I need confirmation is that the app store will accept Dutch credit cards and is accesible from the Netherlands (for paid apps). I know you can't answer that schabba
    Thanks, Chabba,

I read that the wifi-only TP does not have a GPS. Can you make it use GPS of the Pre to make use of TP while driving?

Kaido
    I don't know how often it updates, but when I was tinkering with the maps application at a Best Buy last night after I had paired it with my Pre to test the phone application, it asked if it could use location services. Curious at how accurate the geolocation was (I was on the Best Buy wireless network), I let it access the service. It zoomed in to the point that, when Bird's Eye View was selected, it showed me in the southwest corner of the Best Buy.

Geolocation databases are getting good, but not THAT good. It looks like it pulled GPS info from the phone. I will be testing GPS further as soon as I can get my hands on one again.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
    I got mine from Best Buy in LA, US.

GPS is working fine. I can't find any app for twitter.

Loving my touchpad ...its awesome....google, facebook, skype, linkedin all integrated into webos, no separate app needed unlike IOS or android.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    I don't know how often it updates, but when I was tinkering with the maps application at a Best Buy last night after I had paired it with my Pre to test the phone application, it asked if it could use location services. Curious at how accurate the geolocation was (I was on the Best Buy wireless network), I let it access the service. It zoomed in to the point that, when Bird's Eye View was selected, it showed me in the southwest corner of the Best Buy.

Geolocation databases are getting good, but not THAT good. It looks like it pulled GPS info from the phone. I will be testing GPS further as soon as I can get my hands on one again.
    Other threads say Kindle not working yet, needs an update,so not just yours.
    Kindle app is still in beta... I can wait.

2 things that are kind of bugging me though... there is the front facing camera but no standalone camera app, or am I missing it?

I do like the new app catalog, but how about some scrollbars? I'm going by category and I'd like to know how far along in the list I currently am, or give some listing options for alphabetical or such. I'm just browsing so I'm not looking for something specific, just want a way to search and keep track of what I've already seen if I exit and come back later.
    Sluggish when chatting with more than 1 contact on google. New browser tab opens a new card, not so convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by sk_gemini View Post
    I got mine from Best Buy in LA, US.

GPS is working fine. I can't find any app for twitter.

Loving my touchpad ...its awesome....google, facebook, skype, linkedin all integrated into webos, no separate app needed unlike IOS or android.