Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
    Muddled middle world of Android tablets..........here we come!
    David Pogue is also an Apple brown-nose, so his opinion doesn't count... at all.
    Everyone to their own.

After using iOS and android in every form, I can say my webos(pre,pre plus now pre2) is best suited for me. Weather its success or not, I am just glad I get to experience webos tablet at last. And it will definitely suit my needs.

I still have everything apple from mac mini to airport express except iOS as webos is the best for me.
    splisskin likes this.
    Pretty much expected review from the New York Times, Apple spends big advertising dollars there plus the ipad New York Times app gives their advertising big exposure. This reviewer is walking on egg shells here. Expect many more like this to come from news outlets/sites that Apple spends big advertising dollars at. I more interested in what the real tech sites feel about the TouchPad.
    Theonlyix and JayhawkOne like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Pretty much expected review from the New York Times, Apple spends big advertising dollars there plus the ipad New York Times app gives their advertising big exposure. This reviewer is walking on egg shells here. Expect many more like this to come from news outlets/sites that Apple spends big advertising dollars at. I more interested in what the real tech sites feel about the TouchPad.
    You know media outlets separate advertising from editorial, right?

It's easy to say "he wrote a negative review because something something Apple," but I haven't seen anyone explain what he wrote that isn't factually accurate.
    VCI_Cell likes this.
    Its like alot of PRE reviews "back in the days". Alot of people doesnt get it, most dont bother - and THAT is the mountain HP intends to climb, and i sure hope theyll shout down from the top "we knew [Palm] we were right"

As long as they get the message out with the corporate parts - the ecosystem will thrive and expand into ordinare consumers aka. the gullable fruit loving people.
    But it might take some time....... Im eagerly awaiting mine =)
    Well Walt Mossberg was nicer but with the same conclusion.....Don't buy over an ipad
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    You know media outlets separate advertising from editorial, right?

It's easy to say "he wrote a negative review because something something Apple," but I haven't seen anyone explain what he wrote that isn't factually accurate.
    You know it's printed in the New York Times, right?
    JayhawkOne likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    You know it's printed in the New York Times, right?
    Well, if you don't like the New York Times, here's the Wall Street Journal's take on it.

http://allthingsd.com/20110629/touchpad-needs-more-apps-reboot-to-rival-ipad/
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    I cant tell if its a positive review or negative review.. He's all over the place
    Is he not allowed to point out both?
    Quote Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
    The touchpad has working IP-based gps...
    That's geolocation, not GPS, and can be horribly wrong. My home IP address drifts from Los Angeles to San Jose, depending on which block is assigned, and I'm 35 miles from Los Angeles.

Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
    David Pogue is also an Apple brown-nose, so his opinion doesn't count... at all.
    I wrote a paper for work telling them that the best replacement for our Blackberry phones is the iPhone, with Android a more distant possibility and WebOS not even close to being viable. How would you characterize me?
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    what an *****. Is he in tech review business ?
    I am fine with his most negatives. But not writing enough about multi tasking, flash, touch to share and citrix support. NYT is on apple's payroll. You can't use flash on iPad, multi tasking sucks, TTS is not there, wireless charging is fashionably missing and most importantly its tied to Itunes.

I don't disagree with him, but I call him a cheat. He is not giving balanced review. And honestly I care less for NYT. They are a dying media company.
    Last edited by gbp; 06/29/2011 at 10:28 PM. Reason: NYT
    JayhawkOne likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    That's geolocation, not GPS, and can be horribly wrong. My home IP address drifts from Los Angeles to San Jose, depending on which block is assigned, and I'm 35 miles from Los Angeles.

I wrote a paper for work telling them that the best replacement for our Blackberry phones is the iPhone, with Android a more distant possibility and WebOS not even close to being viable. How would you characterize me?
    Martin, I would like to hear why webOS is "not even close" in your eyes, I know you were evaluating it seriously.
    I don't think Mr. Pogue's review came from actually holding a TouchPad, just from what he wanted it to be. Sadly millions of people around the world will read this review not give the TouchPad another thought.

He mentioned no IMDB and we know that is a Just Type search feature, and said it was "40 percent thicker (.75 inches thick)" thicker than an iPad. Where did he get that number? Spec sheets show .54 inches.

But everyone reads an article and takes away something different, Mr. Pogue obviously only wanted to take the bad from any info he's previously read and then regurgitate it. And what I took away from reading his article is the impression he's not actually held a TouchPad and was needing to make his deadline and phoned this in.

Engaget and Ars Technica are fairly objective (but not always) so I'm looking forward to their reviews, but also real user reviews.
    JayhawkOne likes this.
  15. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    okay folks check WSJ review. That I call a balanced review. Walt doesn't recommend touchpad over iPad2, however he says webos is a joy to use. He hits on the keyboard, sms and receiving phone calls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downtime500 View Post
    ..., and said it was "40 percent thicker (.75 inches thick)" thicker than an iPad. Where did he get that number? Spec sheets show .54 inches.

(...)
    When I saw this, I stopped reading. If you want to trash anything, the best way is with numbers, no matter how hilarious they are.

Very bad, mr. Pogue, very malicious (or ironic in a way that the vast majority of people can't catch).
    Newness Developments apps:

Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    okay folks check WSJ review. That I call a balanced review. Walt doesn't recommend touchpad over iPad2, however he says webos is a joy to use. He hits on the keyboard, sms and receiving phone calls.
    Mossberg's TouchPad review has the same problem with Mossberg's Playbook review. His battery test is going to be way off.

2 months since the Playbook's launch and NOBODY (except Mossberg) ever had 5.5-6 hours battery life on the Playbook. And I can bet you that NOBODY (except Mossberg) will ever write that the TouchPad has only 6 hours battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Martin, I would like to hear why webOS is "not even close" in your eyes, I know you were evaluating it seriously.
    The overview was written and delivered in February and a synopsis was posted here in early March.

In short, webOS is too open without the requisite lockdown capabilities and doesn't have the enterprise management features that are so desperately needed to maintain control and security. At the time, encryption was not automatic, the VPN support was limited, and there was no way to prevent developer access. The hooks are so limited that mobility management platforms can do little more than set e-mail configurations and wipe the device, if they support it at all.

Apple has largely done it right, providing the necessary hooks for us to control just about everything. With at least one product, we can get not only the call logs but also the content of every SMS and MMS message sent or received within seconds of the transmission.

RIM is a close second, providing depth of control but it has the drawback of being a very closed and difficult to master platform for developers.

Enterprises ideally will be able to push VPN configurations, automate app deployment, restrict access to unwanted content, and generally do a whole lot of things remotely up to and including wiping the phone without the user's permission. So far, webOS provides so little that, unless we're content to use it for just e-mail and don't worry about anything else, we can't go with it -- and we need much more than just e-mail.

I am hopeful that HP has recognized this and is providing management functionality in imminent releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    The overview was written and delivered in February and a synopsis was posted here in early March.

In short, webOS is too open without the requisite lockdown capabilities and doesn't have the enterprise management features that are so desperately needed to maintain control and security. At the time, encryption was not automatic, the VPN support was limited, and there was no way to prevent developer access. The hooks are so limited that mobility management platforms can do little more than set e-mail configurations and wipe the device, if they support it at all.

Apple has largely done it right, providing the necessary hooks for us to control just about everything. With at least one product, we can get not only the call logs but also the content of every SMS and MMS message sent or received within seconds of the transmission.

RIM is a close second, providing depth of control but it has the drawback of being a very closed and difficult to master platform for developers.

Enterprises ideally will be able to push VPN configurations, automate app deployment, restrict access to unwanted content, and generally do a whole lot of things remotely up to and including wiping the phone without the user's permission. So far, webOS provides so little that, unless we're content to use it for just e-mail and don't worry about anything else, we can't go with it -- and we need much more than just e-mail.

I am hopeful that HP has recognized this and is providing management functionality in imminent releases.
    I didn't realize this was your opinion from March. I think HP has probably changed a bunch of things since that time, it might be worthwhile for you to schedule a phonecall with the TouchPad product team to get up-to-date information.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    I didn't realize this was your opinion from March. I think HP has probably changed a bunch of things since that time, it might be worthwhile for you to schedule a phonecall with the TouchPad product team to get up-to-date information.
    We're working with the most available public data. No information has been forthcoming from the mobility management software vendors, either, and we've been talking with a half-dozen of them and actively testing four products. Those that support webOS still have extremely limited support, and have said that no significant changes are known to be forthcoming.

My opinion on Android being barely viable has also not changed despite new versions adding on a feature or two that are usable.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast