Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
    I don't like that guy.... Review really seemed incomplete
    sketch42 likes this.
    people, discussing the points, not attacking the reviewer.
    Quote Originally Posted by paint slanger View Post
    I like how he notes that it doesn't have GPS, you know like my WiFi iPad. Oh wait . . .
    If my wifi Galaxy Tab has a gps built in, then shame on Apple and Palm for not having such as well. So whats your point? This review was tame at best, its only going to get worse as more folks get to review it.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    I agree with you. The negatives Pogue brings up -- hardly any meaningful apps, slow performance, hefty design -- are very real issues to consider.
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    the link doesn't work, where is the link
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    The touchpad has working IP-based gps...
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    the link doesn't work, where is the link
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/30/te...ewanted=2&_r=1
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    If my wifi Galaxy Tab has a gps built in, then shame on Apple and Palm for not having such as well. So whats your point? This review was tame at best, its only going to get worse as more folks get to review it.
    Thanks for that fine bit of clairvoyance.

Everyone lighting into Pogue: I find the guy kind of annoying to watch on video, and he definitely could have been more thorough (or his copy editor could have been less hungover). That said, it's a fairly well-done review and it makes some good points.

Is it what we hoped for? No. But it's also hard to disbelieve. We know how the TouchPad stacks up (or doesn't) compared to the competition. We know webOS tends to be laggier than the market leader, no matter how speedy the hardware is. We know it's missing other features that other tablets have, etc. This review shouldn't be a surprise.

Let's keep an eye out for the tech blog reviews - there will be plenty to moan about in those.
    Woah what a horrible review! This isn't even news worthy..
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I agree with you. The negatives Pogue brings up -- hardly any meaningful apps, slow performance, hefty design -- are very real issues to consider.
    He certainly didn't do any research on why the positves MATTER tho. He just kinda listed them out.

Essentially he compared the TouchPad to everything else. He didn't spend near as much time learning about its merits. Any product that truly innovates beyond anything he's used to will probably fly over this guy's head.
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    sure, lets wait for more reviews. But you really can be convinced by 5 reviews?
    yea.. the more the better..
    Quote Originally Posted by JayhawkOne View Post
    He certainly didn't do any research on why the positves MATTER tho. He just kinda listed them out.

Essentially he compared the TouchPad to everything else. He didn't spend near as much time learning about its merits. Any product that truly innovates beyond anything he's used to will probably fly over this guy's head.
    you shouldn't assume that, David has enough experiences with previous webOS devices. He reviewed those with fair points.
    Quote Originally Posted by JayhawkOne View Post

I think Pogue's point is the positives aren't very meaningful to most people that would buy a tablet.
    problem is he doesnt really discuss the points.. he gave a summary review at best
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Surprise that HP hasn't finished the syncing software for both Windows and Mac --- that's even worse than the Playbook (which didn't have a Mac syncing software).
    I'm sure he has already submitted a copy to apple as an invoice for payment
    Quote Originally Posted by oswego View Post
    I'm sure he has already submitted a copy to apple as an invoice for payment
    Can we not do this? Pogue raises very valid points in his review and his criticisms are concerns HP should be aware of.
    i'm at best buy posting this from a touchpad. The final device would have to be much worse than this demo unit in order to get a bad review from me. I havent seen an ounce of slowdown...
    VCI_Cell likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    problem is he doesnt really discuss the points.. he gave a summary review at best
    he said:

flash sometimes jerkily
    much of touchpad's promises remains theoretical
    8 hr battery
    run phone apps at phone size
    not many apps, no google earth, no netflix
    hardware is not good enough
    system is slow

and he also praised webOS, touchstone

Those are all legit points a customer will pay attention to.
    laoh likes this.
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Folks, the article is a review, not a point-by-point critique. You don't read movie reviews telling what they think of each scene. It's a general impression and hits on the main high points and low points. If you want a detailed critique, go visit someplace like CNET or other such source in a few weeks after it's published.

I think it's a good, solid review. He doesn't ignore the points people have been concerned about and he gives equal time to the positives while trying to explain how the TouchPad distinguishes itself from the competition. I imagine some are turned off by his powerfully sarcastic humor.

Nice find, OP. Definitely worth sharing.
    barkerja and laoh like this.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast