Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1.    #1  
    I apologize if this is a repeat. I couldn't find a similar answer via search.

    I'm new to webOS and tried a demo at Best Buy of the touchpad. Since this is a wi-fi only model I had hoped it would connect to the ad-hoc wi-fi network my cell phone router transmits.

    It couldn't find the ad-hoc network....Best Buy employees thought it might just not be showing up because there were too many networks in their location and it's likely a weaker signal.

    Any thoughts?

    Should it be able to identify an ad-hoc network? If not, bluetooth internet sharing?

    Thank you in advance for any help!
  2. #2  
    Can your phone transmit a regular wireless network? I, personally, am not sure if the TouchPad supports ad hoc.
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
  3. #3  
    Several members have reported using the hotspot or freetether on their webOS phones to connect demonstration unit Touchpads to wifi.

    Welcome to PreCentral!
  4.    #4  
    i don't think so. I'll have to research a little more i suppose.

    i wasn't aware that any phone could transmit anything other than ad-hoc?

    Then again, I have never used a webOS phone.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by balogh.ashley View Post
    I apologize if this is a repeat. I couldn't find a similar answer via search.

    I'm new to webOS and tried a demo at Best Buy of the touchpad. Since this is a wi-fi only model I had hoped it would connect to the ad-hoc wi-fi network my cell phone router transmits.

    It couldn't find the ad-hoc network....Best Buy employees thought it might just not be showing up because there were too many networks in their location and it's likely a weaker signal.

    Any thoughts?

    Should it be able to identify an ad-hoc network? If not, bluetooth internet sharing?

    Thank you in advance for any help!
    I'm not sure, so don't quote me, but I really don't think the touchpad supports ad hoc wifi.

    Obviously with the touchpad being a wifi-only device, if you have a mobile hotspot or any sort of tethering app on your phone, the touchpad will be able to then use your phone's internet connection, but I'm fairly certain the touchpad isn't setup for the peer-to-peer aspect of ad-hoc.

    What kind of phone do you have that supports ad hoc?
  6.    #6  
    Windows Mobile phone.

    Internet sharing via usb or bluetooth

    and ad-hoc wi-fi via a router app.

    So, the webOS phones, with freetether, transmit a standard wi-fi signal? Great stuff..i clearly went down the wrong road.
  7. phillipah's Avatar
    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    #7  
    The mobile hotspots on most phones use infrastructure and not ad hoc. Webos with freeteather and the mobile hotspot apps use infrastructure, not ad hoc.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by balogh.ashley View Post
    Windows Mobile phone.

    Internet sharing via usb or bluetooth

    and ad-hoc wi-fi via a router app.

    So, the webOS phones, with freetether, transmit a standard wi-fi signal? Great stuff..i clearly went down the wrong road.
    I wouldn't say "wrong" just different.

    But yea, mobile hotspot or "tethering" apps have really become popular the last few years. So much so that it seemed that every carrier (U.S. anyway) at one time or another was offering a free tethering app that would allow other wifi devices to use the cell phones 3G service for internet connectivity.

    In simplest terms, a mobile hotspot or tethering app (best tethering app on WebOS is freeTether) flips your phone's wifi backwards so that the phone acts as a wifi router allowing other devices to connect to it and use its internet connection. Only problem now is that because it's gotten so popular, carriers are trying to crack down on tethering and forcing you to pay for a tethering plan that costs additional $/month.

    But anyway, that's why a Wifi only touchpad will always be the only thing I need. I always have my phone w/ freeTether on me.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by phillipah View Post
    The mobile hotspots on most phones use infrastructure and not ad hoc. Webos with freeteather and the mobile hotspot apps use infrastructure, not ad hoc.
    I'm under the impression windows and android phones both do ad-hoc. Interesting news I'll have to dive into...
  10. #10  
    Ad-hoc is intended for connections between two devices where no routing is involved. It's like being connected to a hub. Anything involving routing will use infrastructure, and to my knowledge, all tethering apps make use of this. I know of precious few applications for ad-hoc networking.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    Ad-hoc is intended for connections between two devices where no routing is involved. It's like being connected to a hub. Anything involving routing will use infrastructure, and to my knowledge, all tethering apps make use of this. I know of precious few applications for ad-hoc networking.
    I think it's just an OS difference. All windows mobile phones only do ad-hoc networking via OEM internet sharing features or 3rd party apps. ipad/iphone accept ad-hoc networks i am not certain if they broadcast

    Until froyo or gingerbread android only did ad-hoc and now does both.

    I've never heard of a cell phone app running an infrastructure mode tethering system until recent androids and now that i'm involved in webOS as well.

    Of course I'm mostly limited to windows mobile knowledge..

    Sounds great though.
  12. jazzdoc's Avatar
    Posts
    137 Posts
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    #12  
    Can't get my touchpad to connect to Nokia n8 using joikuspot wifi network hotspot. Can get my Treo Pro to connect and browse...Has a different icon. Can't find any wifi settings to change on the Touchpad.
  13. #13  
    dido...I think this will be a huge issue for the wifi touchpad. I have iphone 4, with mywi wifi tethering app (adhoc networking) and no luck at all in connecting to my wifi touchpad. Seems like this should be a no brainer...especially for travel...anyhow, hope some genius picks up on this and creates a patch, or even better, webos update fixes the issue. Dont see why they would lock this functionality.
  14. #14  
    Can't you just connect to the network by typing in the name? It may be filtering out ad-hoc networks because of the inherent risk involved in them. (Free public wifi zombie ad-hoc network is the first that comes to mind.)

    I don't have one here at work to test on my TP, but I'll test it when I get home.
  15. #15  
    yeah, I tried that to no avail...

    let me know if it works for you
  16. jazzdoc's Avatar
    Posts
    137 Posts
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    #16  
    Like to hear what HP has to say about locking out other brands of cell phones in terms of tethering. My Nokia N8 creates a wifi hot spot that all my other devices can see, but it seems the touchpad is locked to pre phones in terms of tethering.....would be against making the touchpad less flexible in order to increase pre sales....
  17. #17  
    might be the case, but seems like a bad strategy....hope its omission and not something else
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by balogh.ashley View Post
    I apologize if this is a repeat. I couldn't find a similar answer via search.

    I'm new to webOS and tried a demo at Best Buy of the touchpad. Since this is a wi-fi only model I had hoped it would connect to the ad-hoc wi-fi network my cell phone router transmits.

    It couldn't find the ad-hoc network....Best Buy employees thought it might just not be showing up because there were too many networks in their location and it's likely a weaker signal.

    Any thoughts?

    Should it be able to identify an ad-hoc network? If not, bluetooth internet sharing?

    Thank you in advance for any help!
    My Best Buy's WiFi network is hidden, so you have to type in the SSID manually.

    "Best Buy"
  19. ag95keri's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityPre View Post
    I'm not sure, so don't quote me, but I really don't think the touchpad supports ad hoc wifi.
    You are correct. The TouchPad does NOT support ad-hoc wifi. I have confirmed this with HP Support.

    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityPre View Post
    Obviously with the touchpad being a wifi-only device, if you have a mobile hotspot or any sort of tethering app on your phone, the touchpad will be able to then use your phone's internet connection, but I'm fairly certain the touchpad isn't setup for the peer-to-peer aspect of ad-hoc.

    What kind of phone do you have that supports ad hoc?
    Windows Mobile seems to only support ad-hoc wifi. At least all the hotspot/tethering apps I've found only support ad-hoc.

    Sadly, this lack of ad-hock support has made my TouchPad essentially useless outside my home.

Posting Permissions