1.    #1  
    A few notes for Walmart (and HP):

1. If you are going to sell a device that automatically runs a demo that only works in landscape mode, then set your display mount to hold the device in landscape mode.

2. If you are going to sell a wifi device, and set it out for people to use, you might want to have it connected to wifi.

Still, pleased to see it at my local Walmart :-)

It seems like the demo checks for updates periodically...I hope that on Friday it updates itself with access to the live app catalog, and installs a ton of really compelling apps that make this thing fly off the shelf...the device and HP stock apps (mail, calender, photos, etc.) are great and frankly better than ipad in many ways.

The demo units need to have all of the "must have" apps preinstalled. Apple does this so well at with their demo units...the "wow" apps are all there to play with!
    I think it's more directed toward Wal-Mart. HP can't handhold the workers of Wal-Mart to make sure they follow the directions included in the display case.
    It does refresh itself so that the demo accounts synch'd to it will stay on and any changes made to it by a user in the store will be erased.
    Quote Originally Posted by WebOSFan12 View Post
    It does refresh itself so that the demo accounts synch'd to it will stay on and any changes made to it by a user in the store will be erased.
    Yeah, these are not units Wal-Mart can sell later. These are specifically designed to be demo units.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    Yeah, these are not units Wal-Mart can sell later. These are specifically designed to be demo units.
    Yeah this is going to be standard anywhere, the Demo Unit is specifically packaged not to be sold with a printed "DEMO UNIT DO NOT SALE" and apparently they have to ship it back to HP to take the demo completely off, this is why they wont sell it.
    i noted a couple of days ago that the demo that was shown for $522 had a different part number than usual.

has wally world indicated when they will have stock? I got an email that it was 'available' but it sent you on line.
    PalmV - Kyo 6035 - 7135 - 650 - 700wx - pre+clocked - pre+2.1 mod - and no Pre3 time to get a Pre2?

June 19 - 8:45am - early order Touchpad. Love it! Used fire sale refund to get another. Rest paid for all accessories. Trying to teach the wife to love it.

support WebOs internals!
    Please, everyone, when you see Touchpad demo station failures, respectfully discuss with employees, and if they don't listen, ask to speak to the manager. It's great that we all care. It's better if we help.
    Called both Walmarts and they did not know Anything about the Touchpad. BestBuy said they had a place to put them when/if they got any and then tried to sell me something else. Could not get the Electronics guy to answer the phone at Sam's so went there today and He knew nothing. Called Office Max and He did not know if they would have them but He did say thought they would be a good product.
    Then went buy Office Depot and convinced them to see if they had a demo, they found it in the Managers office and plugged it to charge. When I went back an hour later it had never charged so he said he would try and charge the second demo to see if it would work. He said I needed to buy an android. I wonder if he even plugged it up to charge.
    I'll get some more gas in the truck so I can continue my quest to see one in (demo) action.
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Just a couple of observations with this....

On point #1 - If HP didn't include instructions with the box, the store associates won't know the proper way to display the demo. All they know is to plug in the power and attach the anti-theft device.

Point #2 - Walmart doesn't provide public wifi in their stores. They're not going to allow a public device to plug into their secured network without certain security measures in place. That stops people from being tempted to try hacking into their network.

Saltcreep gives some great advice for #1. Point #2 stinks, but that's the way it goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltcreep View Post
    Please, everyone, when you see Touchpad demo station failures, respectfully discuss with employees, and if they don't listen, ask to speak to the manager. It's great that we all care. It's better if we help.
    Since most of us don't have access to a "real" TouchPad, other than a demo device not being charged/connected to USB charger, how would we know a failure had occurred?

When I played with a TP yesterday at Fry's, I went into the Explore mode, but didn't know how to exit this mode back to the demo when I was done. Seems like this should be timeout based, but it wasn't obvious, so I power cycled to make absolutely certain. By the way, the demo units don't have a power/restart option. If you turn one off, remember to turn it back on again. Demo mode starts automatically.
    Dan Donovan