1.    #1  
    I right now have been looking to upgrade my iPad 1 but I want to get something that is not iOS I bought a Samsung galaxy tab 10.0 and so far love the hardware and the screen. But android 3.0 is a very buggy system. Granted the look is very nice and elegant. My only worry of the touchpad is the lack of a certain future, so my question is do you guys think the touchpad has better long term support than android 3.0. Also one of the best things about my Samsung tab is that you can run N64 emulators and play them with controllers. Do you guys know if Web Os has a open app store or is it a close ecosystem like apples.

Also just so that people know, the problem with most 10 inch android tablets is that they have a widescreen screen sizes so it is not as easy to use as the shape that the I pad and the touchpad have.
    Last edited by ipbron; 06/29/2011 at 11:19 AM.
    webOS definitely has a future. I think once people compare Android's tablet variant OS to the TouchPad, it will send developers. Now if you need those programs from Android now, perhaps you ought to stick with the Galaxy Tab.
    Last edited by pogeypre; 06/29/2011 at 11:28 AM.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    webOS definitely has a future. I think once people compare Android's tablet variant OS to the TouchPad, it will send developers. Now if you need those programs from Android now, perhaps you ought to stick with the Galaxy Tab.
    Not really the Honeycomb marketplace is horrid. You cannot tell if their is even a section for tablet apps and I don't see much developer interest in honeycomb. Some say they are waiting for andoid os 4.0 but it is still pretty bad that there such lack of developer support on what is suppused to be the second biggest mobile OS
    Well. I think its best you look at what they have to offer now and don't hang your hope on "future".

If touchpad meet all, or most of your need now, i think you will be happy with it, because webOS is truely the best mobile OS out there.

But if it doesn't meet your need, don't buy it. HP is a business company, it will not, and nobody can, guarantee you a future.

If you still want it, but it doesn't meet some of your needs, you can wait several months and see how the platform develops.

Jumping in based on unpredictable future will only hurt yourself in the end.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Well. I think its best you look at what they have to offer now and don't hang your hope on "future".

If touchpad meet all, or most of your need now, i think you will be happy with it, because webOS is truely the best mobile OS out there.

But if it doesn't meet your need, don't buy it. HP is a business company, it will not, and nobody can, guarantee you a future.

If you still want it, but it doesn't meet some of your needs, you can wait several months and see how the platform develops.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    That is very smart way to look at it. It seems to me that the Touchpad has better software and the Galaxy has better hardware. But god software has better value than good hardware. At least in the tablet market it does
  6.    #6  
    I think I have made up my mind I am going to return the Galaxy tab and get the touchpad. One more question. Do you guys think that the touchpad will have good gaming apps?
    Quote Originally Posted by ipbron View Post
    Not really the Honeycomb marketplace is horrid. You cannot tell if their is even a section for tablet apps and I don't see much developer interest in honeycomb. Some say they are waiting for andoid os 4.0 but it is still pretty bad that there such lack of developer support on what is suppused to be the second biggest mobile OS
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/moto...t-n-232-a.html

This may help. I still don't understand the whole Android will fail and touchpad will win and vice-versa. The tablet market or future market is big enough for all the major players to crave out a good percentage of marketshare.

Also devs should be developing for all three major tablet OSes (HC,Webos, and ios) at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by ipbron View Post
    I think I have made up my mind I am going to return the Galaxy tab and get the touchpad. One more question. Do you guys think that the touchpad will have good gaming apps?
    I dont know developer's intentions, but just as webOS on the Pre became a great platform for games (due to easy portability from iOS), I would imagine the TouchPad getting the same treatment.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Of course, since he already jumped into one unknown (the Samsung Galaxy), and found it buggy, sounds like he's at least willing to take a chance with an unknown.

To the OP, I don't know if you purchased the Galaxy somewhere that you can return it, or if you have that same option with the TouchPad, but if so, I'd recommend that route.

To answer some of your specifics. The App Catalog is almost a cross between Apple and Androids - it's "semi-open". There is an official app store, but apps can also be distributed via other means (HomeBrew).

As to the N64 emulator, there is one for WebOS but we don't know yet if it will work with the TouchPad.

The future? Who really knows, but HP is no small-scale company. If I were going to bet one way or the other, I'd bet that WebOS is going to be around a while (oh wait, I am betting they are, about $599 + accessories and tax worth of a bet )