1.    #1  
    Hello,

I remember reading reports about the iPad's wireless chip causing problems for colleges and Universities. I'm an administrator at a k-8 school and we are not allowing faculty/students to connect their iPad's to our wireless due to problems it has caused. Is there any reason to believe the TouchPad will not cause these problems as well?

Thanks!
    Given that HP is pushing this hard as a business tablet, I would imagine they have a network friendly design. But that's just my guess.
    I have never heard the iPad thing. I use my iPad to connect to the wireless at work and at the University. No issues at all.

I haven't done much TouchPad stuff, but I cannot imagine it being any different.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Compatible with B, G, N but I believe it's not compatible with A which no one uses A anyway.
    I remember problem with android WI-FI holding infinite IP lease which was not so big problem for smaller networks, but don't remember some iPad WI-FI problem.
    If I recall correctly, the issue had to do with the iPad not remembering a lease and asking for a new one. It wouldn't take long to use up all of the available IPs if none of the other leases were let go. Most networks get around this by making the leases expire on disconnect (that's what I do on my network anyway).
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    If I recall correctly, the issue had to do with the iPad not remembering a lease and asking for a new one. It wouldn't take long to use up all of the available IPs if none of the other leases were let go. Most networks get around this by making the leases expire on disconnect (that's what I do on my network anyway).
    If that was the issue, it sounds less like a hardware issue, and more like an issue with the implementation of their DHCP client. I find this one intriguing, will check into it.

Also, I'm going to be using my TP at work next week, and will check with our Networking team to find if it's holding DHCP leases (if that was the iPad issue).

=====
    OK, did a quick check and found this article from Princeton. The article, though a little technical, does a pretty good job of describing the issue (as well as a link to the new issue Apple created with the fix).

The short answer to your question is - this was a bug in Apple's DHCP client (both of the issues), and there is no reason to believe that there will be any similar issue with the TouchPad.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    If that was the issue, it sounds less like a hardware issue, and more like an issue with the implementation of their DHCP client. I find this one intriguing, will check into it.

Also, I'm going to be using my TP at work next week, and will check with our Networking team to find if it's holding DHCP leases (if that was the iPad issue).

=====
    OK, did a quick check and found this article from Princeton. The article, though a little technical, does a pretty good job of describing the issue (as well as a link to the new issue Apple created with the fix).

The short answer to your question is - this was a bug in Apple's DHCP client (both of the issues), and there is no reason to believe that there will be any similar issue with the TouchPad.
    Thanks for the research and answer!