Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Looks like this is the first "review" with video on the new HP Touchpad.

HP TouchPad debuts webOS for tablets

Maybe more will start coming up in the morning?
    This post is of my personal opinion and not that of my employer, its affiliates, or related partners.
    nice find, the reporter mentions document editing in QO, i wonder if it was a mistake,
    About time!
    I can't wait for the other reviews to start rolling out.
    Nice. Decent review! (I'm fairly confident the only thing most reviewers will harp on is the app selection issue, which we all know is just a fact that WebOS fans will have to live with for a while). I forsee most reviews being pretty positive, especially compared to the Xoom and Playbook reviews.

Hopefully I'm right, because the last thing the Touchpad needs are bad reviews during its launch :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    nice find, seems like the "reporter" isn't very good with a teleprompter ,
    LOL!
    quite nice- the biggest drawbacks are mentioned:

HP has balanced the tablet's capability to be a good fit for business and still attractive to consumers, though an app shortage will be its biggest challenge in the short term and the lack of a rear-facing camera to take photos and video may also deter some tablet shoppers.
    App selection falls short

The biggest dent in the TouchPad experience may come when loading webOS apps designed for smaller smartphone screens. The device comes loaded with some of these apps, such as the New York Times news app. These apps load to fill just a small section in the middle of the screen, surrounded by a black, Pre-like border. So you're stuck reading news in about 3.5-inches of screen real estate while the rest goes unused.

Apple addressed this problem with its iOS apps by offering the option to magnify iPhone apps to twice their size on the iPad. But Palm offers no such option. Though Apple's solution does cause some pixilated looking text and graphics, it at least makes use of the larger screen space.
    Good find!
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    nice find, the reporter mentions document editing in QO, i wonder if it was a mistake,
    "The device does come loaded with Quickoffice, a mobile app that allows viewing of Microsoft Office-compatible documents. It can integrate with cloud-based services such as Dropbox and Google Documents and allow you to download those files to your tablet. This is great for business users, but adding in document editing and creation would have been even better."
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Seems to be a fair enough review if a little light on details. I think the author highlights a lot of the concerns that have already been raised; rear camera, doc editing, app selection, and mojo vs. enyo apps. At the same time they give props to the great features we already know and love; multitasking, gestures, synergy, ease of use.

I also think they use "also" too much, but that's just nitpicking.
    You would think they could of found someone more comfortable on camera?
    Honestly, I don't get this camera busoness. Why would anybody want a rear camera on a tablet?! It seems absurd.

I'm sure I read that basically nobody uses it on the iPad, so why is it a big deal?
    Last edited by kevr1990; 06/29/2011 at 03:49 AM.
    Unfortunately they certainly don't focus on items that set the touchpad apart from everything else quite enough. They basically brush over the touchstone and exhibition and don't mention touch to share at all, although without phones to do this, that may be fair.
    Thanks - a good review.
    Also - ouch at the 'presenter' guy. Just... ouch.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevr1990 View Post
    Honestly, I don't get this camera busoness. Why would anybody want a rear camera on a tablet?! It seems absurd.

I'm sure I read that basically nobody uses it on the iPad, so why is it a big deal?
    Actually they do..when I was in San Francisco after we performed at the Moscone Center, we performed in an Exhibit Hall for NAMM and this guy was literally holding his iPad 2 above the crowd recording us. My friend pointed it out to me and I laughed hard, because it really does look ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    Actually they do..when I was in San Francisco after we performed at the Moscone Center, we performed in an Exhibit Hall for NAMM and this guy was literally holding his iPad 2 above the crowd recording us. My friend pointed it out to me and I laughed hard, because it really does look ridiculous.
    It absolutely looks rediculous, and even the lightest 9.7in tablet is too heavy to use as a camera. Not only that the camera sucks! You're truly better of using a camera phone... I don't get HP not including it for the sake of having it, but I'm more confused by people actually complaining about it.
    Yes, they should have included it to 'tick the box', but having a rear facing camera is utterly pointless on a tablet. Even with other apps like barcode scanning. Would you really pull out a massive tablet in a shop to check a price online?

Augmented reality apps? Standing in the middle of a street waving a slab around!

Nope, you would just use your smartphone.
    put it on 7" then. Everybody else have a rear cam, you can call it unnecessary, ridiculous, lets wait and see if customers agree, they might well do. Either way, we will know soon enough.

So, in the video, when the touchpad is on dock, just type won't bring up on screen keyboard?
    Quote Originally Posted by kevr1990 View Post

I used to think the same thing until I read about someone who does a lot of library and archive research using it to take photos of documents. I do a lot of similar research and I now wish that the Touchpad had a rear camera.
    Global Posts
    833 Global Posts
    The TouchPad offers a strong multi-tasking experience that is similar to BlackBerry Playbook's QNX-based OS.
    oh, burn. now people are gonna say webos is copying qnx.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast