Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    I used to think the same thing until I read about someone who does a lot of library and archive research using it to take photos of documents. I do a lot of similar research and I now wish that the Touchpad had a rear camera.
    But wouldn't you have your Pre or Veer camera phone also with you while you are doing the research?
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    put it on 7" then. Everybody else have a rear cam, you can call it unnecessary, ridiculous, lets wait and see if customers agree, they might well do. Either way, we will know soon enough.

So, in the video, when the touchpad is on dock, just type won't bring up on screen keyboard?
    because it was connected to the bluetooth keyboard.
    Good review, if you could call it that.

He does make it sound like the accessories come with the Touchpad though; which I know we all wish were the case.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    It seems to me like it was filmed a while ago... at the end he mentions that it "should be released" no later than July 1st. That date became the official release date almost 3 weeks ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    But wouldn't you have your Pre or Veer camera phone also with you while you are doing the research?
    I imagine you need a cam that at least have autofocus.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    interesting that the review was posted at 6/29/2011 12:01:00 AM I think we might be seeing many more reviews pop up today!!
    I used to think the same thing until I read about someone who does a lot of library and archive research using it to take photos of documents. I do a lot of similar research and I now wish that the Touchpad had a rear camera.
    esp important in business for taking pics of documents. 007 style....
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Sorry, I have to disagree.

Solved: Pull out pre from pocket, take picture with a normal sized device, push upload button to facebook or wherever, boom, the image is automatically in the touchpad's cloud-based photos app. And you're finished. Plus, from there I guarantee that you can copy the photo to local storage if you absolutely needed to. What is it with people wanting to take pictures with a tablet!!! It makes no sense!
    Most people I know who own an iPad2 only make use of the front facing camera for things like Skype. I asked them how much they use the rear camera and have yet to find anyone admit they do. They all say they just use their phone for that.

Anecdotal? Sure. But I don't think the lack of a rear-facing camera is a dealbreaker.

And I'm wondering how HP will handle the app situation. Has HP even opened that part of the App Catalog yet? Some of these reviews will say the app selection sucks, but that's only because it isn't July 1 yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityPre View Post
    Sorry, I have to disagree.

Solved: Pull out pre from pocket, take picture with a normal sized device, push upload button to facebook or wherever, boom, the image is automatically in the touchpad's cloud-based photos app. And you're finished. Plus, from there I guarantee that you can copy the photo to local storage if you absolutely needed to. What is it with people wanting to take pictures with a tablet!!! It makes no sense!
    That's not a very good argument.

99x easier just to take a picture with the tablet itself.

Honestly, I don't really care about a camera on it. It's probably just not worth it for HP at this point to include one, for not only cost reasons, but also to see just exactly how well this hardware design measures up without the camera. Camera === more chances of hardware failure, and more cost for production AND R&D.

That being said I'm sure there's tons of people who would directly benefit from the TP having a rear facing camera. The "Who wants to hold that huge thing up" isn't a valid argument at all, and it's offensive to ANYONE who would actually use it, even just once.

I'm not saying it's a terrible thing to not have one, I'm just saying it's not a good thing.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Quote Originally Posted by aapold View Post
    oh, burn. now people are gonna say webos is copying qnx.
    Agreed! This is why we should take these opportunities to leave a comment and also to email the author/editor so that this gets fixed. It only takes 20-30 seconds to fire off an email

The editor's email is itbeditorial@itbusiness.ca
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    That's not a very good argument.

99x easier just to take a picture with the tablet itself.
    to be honest, as long winded as that is, it's probably much easier than taking the photo with the tablet.

Taking photos with something of that size, with a screen of that size, is just not natural. Simulating it with my iPad one, it just feels really awkward and actually quite difficult.
    How is it much easier if it's in your hand right now?

What if your phone is in the other room?

Do you have trouble lifting a gallon of milk?

What if you like the better features of the TP camera over whatever camera you have right now?

What if you're somewhere and something is happening in front of you and you need to take a picture RIGHT THIS SECOND, and you just HAPPENED to be on the launcher page of the camera as it was happening?

What if you're not allowed to have cell phones in a certain building, like oh say, a library, but would like to take a picture of a book page? or whatever you want?
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    What if you're not allowed to have cell phones in a certain building, like oh say, a library, but would like to take a picture of a book page? or whatever you want?
    Um, why would you not be allowed to have a device you could hide in your pocket and yet be allowed one big enough to be mistaken as a computer?
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    Um, why would you not be allowed to have a device you could hide in your pocket and yet be allowed one big enough to be mistaken as a computer?
    some government buildings don't allow phones but do allow tablets and laptops.
    Quote Originally Posted by shingi_70 View Post
    some government buildings don't allow phones but do allow tablets and laptops.
    They are probably the ones that would frown on photo taking in general. The only places I have been in that had a "no phones" policy also had a "no cameras" policy.

I have yet to find a situation where having a camera on a tablet would be the ONLY option.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    They are probably the ones that would frown on photo taking in general. The only places I have been in that had a "no phones" policy also had a "no cameras" policy.

I have yet to find a situation where having a camera on a tablet would be the ONLY option.
    Im video chatting with someone trying to explain a problem to get a view by going to rear camera mode he can see my problem while still seeing me to help to guide through it easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityPre View Post
    What is it with people wanting to take pictures with a tablet!!! It makes no sense!
    But... but... the iPad 2 has it, so it must be a necessity, right?

RIGHT?
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    But... but... the iPad 2 has it, so it must be a necessity, right?

RIGHT?
    I'm pretty sure android tablets came up with dual cam first.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    The rear camera is useful for when you are face timing with friends and want to show them something. What're you going to do with the TP? Swing the whole thing around? Just because the TP can't do something doesn't mean it's useless on other devices.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast