Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Remember that you will have to pay sales tax on the full price of the device. With 8% sales tax that is another 50 dollars you'll have to pay.

For someone like me (getting a 32GB) in Chicago, the difference between Best Buy and Amazon is at least 70 dollars. Throw in the fact that Amazon has credit card offers I'm looking at 40 (CC) + 70 (sales tax) +50 (early adopter) = 160 dollars in savings from buying it at BB.

Just something to think about while we all wait for launch day to arrive.
    Good point Bgso. But I would also suggest grab a Metra ride out to the burbs and pick one up out there instead of paying Chicago's crazy sales tax.
  3.    #3  
    Or Amazon where there is no sales tax at all...
    I didn't know Amazon had any credit card discounts. The dicounts are the same if they are debit correct?
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  5.    #5  
    I'm still to lazy to read the fine print on all of those, but if you sign up for one of their credit card offers then you can get up to 50 off. Those cards get you on the fees and such, but I plan on cancelling it as soon as I transfer the appropriated funds to the card anyways.
    No sales tax for us Oregonians. Just hoping any local stores will have it on the first.
    I'll consider it a "can't wait and will play at midnight tax"

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Heh. I was reading this wondering "why would they tax you for buying local..." Then my brain kicked in and reminded me that I've lived in Oregon way too long and that other states have sales tax. I should probably just go to sleep at this point...

- Phil -
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    I'll consider it a "can't wait and will play at midnight tax"
    Same here. Might have been different if it wasn't a long weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bgso View Post
    Or Amazon where there is no sales tax at all...
    Amazon caved to NY, so we have to pay tax no matter what we do.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    yeah if u sign up for prime with amazon u get second day shipping which is not bad....
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Global Posts
    835 Global Posts
    Obviously the proper course of action, if funds are not an issue, is to order one from amazon and buy one at a best buy equivalent (some place without restocking fees on returns). Use the one from the store, make sure everything is on your palm profile and backed up properly. Then, when the one from amazon arrives, return the one from the store for a full refund (including whatever tax you paid). On the amazon one log into your palm profile and get all your stuff back and proceed from there.

Hey, I'd feel bad if it were a mom & pop shop. But this brick and mortar store drove them out of business so no guilt. (for the record I am not doing this since I lack the funds to pull that off)
    Yeah I have already thought all of this out carefully.

Amazon = Save $30 in tax but get it mid next week.
    Brick and mortar = pay $30 more but get it Friday.

I'm leaning towards the later. If Amazon doesn't surprise me with a shipping confirmation on Thursday then I'll cancel.
    Whether or not you have to pay sales tax on any online site depends on if that retailer has any physical locations in the state. You will always pay sales tax on walmart.com because they are everywhere.

With Amazon, it depends on if there is a distribution center in your state. If there is, then they must collect the state sales tax from you. Amazon has distribution centers all over the country, including one about 5 miles from my house. So, whether I buy from a brick and morter or from Amazon, I still will pay the tax.
    Do we expect the brick and mortar stores to have the accessories (case, Touchstone) too?
    i live in KS, amazon charges tax here, before I was in NY and amazon charges tax in NY also
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    hmm im looking to save the 40 on the amazon credit card thing, but i ony see zero finance option... nothing about 40 dollars off for the amazon cc -=\
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    you do realize with congress soon to tax online that amazon has begun collecting tax fees since it will probably have to retro pay them for the current annual year? They are charging $36.52 in tax....as seen below

@agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Even with as many issues as I have with BestBuy and others, it is still a place where I can lay hands on an item before I decide to buy.

I won't get all righteous and claim I only buy from B&M stores, because I don't, but when I "need it now" or am using no interest financing I'll gladly pay my tax to keep these retailers in business for the added options they provide.
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf View Post
    Do we expect the brick and mortar stores to have the accessories (case, Touchstone) too?
    Walmart will have several of the accessories at the stores carrying the TP. I'd be surprised if Best Buy doesn't have them.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast