Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 198
Like Tree1Likes
  1. #161  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Guys, keep those comments flowing to Palm's blog post. They're getting flooded right now.

    Don't stop them until they give us a phone!
    It looks like they've been deleting a lot of those comments.
  2. #162  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    If you're grateful, than that's your opinion, doesn't mean others have to accept it, nor give you the right to label others.
    Not a right, an observation based on rantings over trivialities.
  3. #163  
    Mine's still there. They do moderate so it takes time for the comments to show up.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  4. #164  
    Quote Originally Posted by the.teejster View Post
    Not for me thanks.

    I'm not willing to spend an additional $650.00 ($620 + 13% sales tax - $50) on top of the $200 I spent on my Palm Pre to be an early adopter again with the Touchpad.
    You make a very good point, and I'll go further to say it's one that I think many are ignoring:

    HP said that this is a program is for early adopters. They didn't say early adopters of what, but my interpretation is that it's for early adopters of both - the Pre and the TouchPad.

    In other words, this wasn't targeted at you.

    Further, I think PreCentral is doing a disservice by continuing to refer to this as the fulfillment of HP's promise to "make it right" (referring to the 2.x update issue). HP never said that. Nothing wrong with speculating that it is, but there is something wrong with presenting it as if it were a fact. It's not. It's supposition on the part of a lot of people.

    HP may very well come back with another offer later. I don't know, and I'm not making a prediction. However, multiple offers (for instance, $50 off a Pre3, for those of you that have an original Pre,Pixi, or Plus, and haven't used the purchase as a rebate for another device) could be used to help ensure they "make it right" for as many folks as possible.
  5. #165  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    ...
    Fair enough, but what they are proposing as damage control right now isn't quite working, and that's the point I'm trying to make.
    Except HP never proposed it as "damage control". Others have determined that's what they're doing, but all HP has said about this offer is that it is to reward early adopters.
  6. #166  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    ...

    Further, I think PreCentral is doing a disservice by continuing to refer to this as the fulfillment of HP's promise to "make it right" (referring to the 2.x update issue). HP never said that. Nothing wrong with speculating that it is, but there is something wrong with presenting it as if it were a fact. It's not. It's supposition on the part of a lot of people.

    HP may very well come back with another offer later. I don't know, and I'm not making a prediction. However, multiple offers (for instance, $50 off a Pre3, for those of you that have an original Pre,Pixi, or Plus, and haven't used the purchase as a rebate for another device) could be used to help ensure they "make it right" for as many folks as possible.
    I hope Mr. Zilber/HP will clarify this offer as to whether it is in fact one and the same MTR offer discussed in February.

    Also, I hope Derek and Jonathan contact HP for clarification
    I see pandas.
  7. lougw's Avatar
    Posts
    313 Posts
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    #167  
    Do we know when exact details of this thing will be coming out? Or is there an official way to contact HP to ask questions? I would like to think we will know full details before Friday when people can start purchasing the TP, since it might influence decisions. (If I qualify I am likely to ask BB if I can swap my 16GB on order for a 32GB.)

    My uncertainty is I have not received any email from HP. I have sitting on my desk a now unused Pre minus, and am thinking that since my Veer is now the device on my profile I didn't get the email. But does that mean I can't use that Pre minus to get the discount?
  8. #168  
    Quote Originally Posted by lougw View Post
    Do we know when exact details of this thing will be coming out? Or is there an official way to contact HP to ask questions? I would like to think we will know full details before Friday when people can start purchasing the TP, since it might influence decisions. (If I qualify I am likely to ask BB if I can swap my 16GB on order for a 32GB.)

    My uncertainty is I have not received any email from HP. I have sitting on my desk a now unused Pre minus, and am thinking that since my Veer is now the device on my profile I didn't get the email. But does that mean I can't use that Pre minus to get the discount?
    I have an active Pre+ and have also not yet received an email.
  9. lougw's Avatar
    Posts
    313 Posts
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    #169  
    Quote Originally Posted by alfaverde View Post
    I have an active Pre+ and have also not yet received an email.
    Interesting. I am in the camp that doesn't believe HP owes me anything for my two year old purchase. I do, however, think HP owes it to everyone to get the details of this out in full prior to Friday when purchases begin. Or perhaps owes is too strong of a word, but it is a poor failure in my mind if they do not get us all of the relevant information prior to sales beginning.
  10. #170  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You make a very good point, and I'll go further to say it's one that I think many are ignoring:

    HP said that this is a program is for early adopters. They didn't say early adopters of what, but my interpretation is that it's for early adopters of both - the Pre and the TouchPad.

    In other words, this wasn't targeted at you.

    Further, I think PreCentral is doing a disservice by continuing to refer to this as the fulfillment of HP's promise to "make it right" (referring to the 2.x update issue). HP never said that. Nothing wrong with speculating that it is, but there is something wrong with presenting it as if it were a fact. It's not. It's supposition on the part of a lot of people.

    HP may very well come back with another offer later. I don't know, and I'm not making a prediction. However, multiple offers (for instance, $50 off a Pre3, for those of you that have an original Pre,Pixi, or Plus, and haven't used the purchase as a rebate for another device) could be used to help ensure they "make it right" for as many folks as possible.

    I'm pretty sure that this is the "Make it Right" promise. Had it not been, I'm sure HP would have responded/updated their blog post to let us know that this is not the "Make it Right" promise , and to expect another announcement.

    Remember how quickly they responded to Engadget's leak about the Think Beyond Event:


    Since we have no follow up comment from HP correcting our assumptions, I'd say it's safe to assume this is the "Make it Right" promise. I also take this as a confirmation that Sprint is not getting the Pre 3, therefore this is what they came up with to make it right. I'm sure everyone wants the Pre 3 on Sprint just as much as I do, but after seeing this $50 rebate, I'm about 99% sure it's not coming
  11. #171  
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    I'm pretty sure that this is the "Make it Right" promise. Had it not been, I'm sure HP would have responded/updated their blog post to let us know that this is not the "Make it Right" promise , and to expect another announcement...
    Here's the reasons I disagree:
    Rubenstein made the "make it right" statement, and Jon Zilber made the $50 announcement. I really feel if this was the sum total of the "make it right" scenario, you would have seen something along the lines of "I promised you we'd make it right, and now we are" from Ruby, or at least a "Rubenstein made a statement, and we're honoring that now". Instead, we get a statement that this is for "early adopters".
    Another reason is that this really does nothing to "make it right", except for those that are early adopters of both devices. I fall in that category. I bought a Pre the day it came out, and I'm buying a TouchPad the day it comes out. I'm an early adopter. They just gave me $50. That exactly fulfills what the blog announcement said it would. Because I'm an early adopter, I will also be getting Pre3 when it comes out (from someone, can you hear me now Sprint?). Those users that plan on continuing to use their Pre/+ or Pixi/+ get very little out of the TouchPad, so this is doesn't really apply to them.

    You do bring up a good point about why they haven't commented on this one way or the other. I have a theory, but it's only a theory. What if this is just one of the pieces of a group of offers? Here's my scenario:

    When the Pre 3 does come out, we see a similar $50 offer for those that did not take advantage of this offer.

    Possibly, we then see an offer of some kind (maybe a credit toward the app store) that can be used by those that did not take advantage of either of the other two offers.

    At that point, HP can then say "Back in 2010, we made a statement that we'd make it right. We feel we've fulfilled that promise. We hope you keep buying our new products, and thank you for support in the past."

    Again, this is 100% speculation, but in such a scenario, they couldn't say (of the current offer) "this isn't our 'Make it right' fulfillment" because it would be part of that fulfillment. At the same time, they wouldn't want to lay out what I just did (if it's really their plan), because they do want to sell TouchPads, and they want to sell to even those few people that the current $50 offer would entice.

    I'll repeat, I don't know that this is the scenario. What I do know is that their current offer does exactly what they said it would do - it rewards early adopters.
  12. #172  
    I sent an email to HP yesterday saying that I was disappointed with their apology, mostly because it is just an upsell. However, someone from corporate communications did call me an apologized. He said he couldn't offer me anything, but an apology and had no information that isn't already publicly known. At least it shows that they do care enough to call when a customer is disappointed. Maybe if they get enough emails like this they may change their minds on the deal.
  13. #173  
    <threads merged>
  14. lougw's Avatar
    Posts
    313 Posts
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    #174  
    Quote Originally Posted by weuchsowagan View Post
    I sent an email to HP yesterday saying that I was disappointed with their apology, mostly because it is just an upsell. However, someone from corporate communications did call me an apologized. He said he couldn't offer me anything, but an apology and had no information that isn't already publicly known. At least it shows that they do care enough to call when a customer is disappointed. Maybe if they get enough emails like this they may change their minds on the deal.
    Glad they at least responded. May I ask what email address you used?
  15. #175  
    I'm pretty sure this is the "Make it Right" promise since HP wouldn't actually call it "Make it Right Offer". Doing so would mean they did something wrong. If I was new to HP WebOS, I would wonder what that was about and question if I should go with their products.

    Sprint Pre- users are the early adopters of WebOS, not early adopters of the TouchPad. If that were the case, then you wouldn't need any proof that you had a functioning Pre or Pixi at some point to get the rebate.

    While (as a launch day Sprint Pre- owner) I don't like what's happened over the past year, I understand HP had to make business decisions about the future of their products. Therefore, I don't think they necessary did anything wrong that needs to be "righted" (is that even a word?).

    I don't plan to get a 32GB Touchpad, but it's nice to know that if I was, I could get some sort of discount.

    Karla
  16. #176  
    Quote Originally Posted by lougw View Post
    Glad they at least responded. May I ask what email address you used?
    No messing around I sent it to Leo himself. Ok, so its not really Leo, but the CEO communications email address.
  17. wfleish's Avatar
    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    #177  
    I never got an email from HP and I have a Sprint Pre. But I assume I can still take advantage of this (although I am not sure I will) since all I need is the serial number of the phone.
  18. #178  
    Quote Originally Posted by lougw View Post
    My uncertainty is I have not received any email from HP. I have sitting on my desk a now unused Pre minus, and am thinking that since my Veer is now the device on my profile I didn't get the email. But does that mean I can't use that Pre minus to get the discount?
    I'm in the same exact boat. Deactivated launch-day Pre- in my closet, currently using a Veer, and no email from HP. Think I'm just going to send in what they asked for on Friday and see what I get back.
  19. lougw's Avatar
    Posts
    313 Posts
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    #179  
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    I'm in the same exact boat. Deactivated launch-day Pre- in my closet, currently using a Veer, and no email from HP. Think I'm just going to send in what they asked for on Friday and see what I get back.
    I may do the same. But at this moment I was planning on getting the 16GB version (I am that rare soul who still had 6GB free on his Pre), so I would be spending an extra $100 in hopes of getting $50 back. For some reason for $50 more it seems worth it. But I would think HP could at least do us the courtesy of laying out the rules or responding to questions ahead of time so we know for sure.
  20. #180  
    Quote Originally Posted by wfleish View Post
    I never got an email from HP and I have a Sprint Pre. But I assume I can still take advantage of this (although I am not sure I will) since all I need is the serial number of the phone.
    Ditto, nothing in any of my e-mail accounts. And I have a pre-minus still activated with a profile. I hope they make it clear how to go about getting this if I decide to pony up for the 32gb.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions