View Poll Results: Which of these features is the strongest for the Touchpad's success?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • True Multitasking

31 54.39%
  • HP Synergy

15 26.32%
  • Quality of Applications

5 8.77%
  • Other

6 10.53%
  1.    #1  
    This in my opinion is the top 3 reasons the Touchpad will succeed
    1. The True-Multitasking feature.
    This is something that no other tablet on the market is able to do like the Touchpad does. The applications you are using can be paused and when you go back to them they will be right where you left them. The only other tablet that has a similar smoothness of multitasking is the Blackberry Playbook but from personal experience using the Playbook the swiping between the applications is extremely erratic.
    2. Synergy for Calender/Photos/E-mail/Just Type
    I think the ability to synchronize your calenders is just great and the Photos synchronized from facebook etc. is a strong feature. The best part about the synchronization though is the Just Type. With Just Type you can start an e-mail by just typing it from the main screen or start an instant message, post status on facebook/twitter etc. Just Type is a feature that no other device has on HP and this is a HUGE game changer.
    3. The Quality of the Applications
    From what I've seen in videos the applications that will be ready to run on the Touchpad are really smooth. If HP can make sure more applications look as sexy as the ones I've seen already then this can be really important.

This is a really good demonstration of the Touchpad. I thought I would share it because it's my favorite video so far.
    The TouchPad will succeed because of the strong advertising HP is preparing, the presence of Lea Michele, Lady Gaga, Manny Pacquiao, David Guetta, Jay Z and Kanye West will help for its success.
  3.    #3  
    I agree that the advertisement campaign will influence a lot of people and I can't wait for it to start blanketing the airwaves.
    1. Synergy
    2. Homebrew/devs
    3. Future - Interconnected devices and the use of a single profile to bind them all.
  5.    #5  
    Yeah I guess I meant Synergy to include the phones etc. being connected to it as well.
    I am fairly new to the homebrew apps but they're definitely cool.
    Although I really appreciate webOS' multitasking & Synergy, I doubt those will be the reasons the TouchPad succeeds. These have been strengths of webOS since day one, but weren't enough for webOS to grab significant market share.

I'd say the 3 main reason that will help the TouchPad succeed are:
    1) Applications & Devloper support
    2) Marketing & Ad campaign
    3) HP's vast distribution outlets

-Many people try to downplay the importance of apps, but it really is critical. The UI & many features of webOS are great, but without apps & devs supporting the platform, the TouchPd will be limited in it's functionality.

-The Marketing & Ad campaign is critical. The masses really don't know about webOS, and a great ad campaign is needed to give people a positive perception of webOS & increase consumer mindshare/awareness.
    For example, previosuly whenever I showed off my Pre, unless the person was a techie, they usally asked: "What phone is that?". Yesterday I was showing off my Pre 2, and one of my friends said "Hey, that looks like the phone that Manny Pacquiao uses in that commercial". What a difference a good ad campaign makes. The new ads barely kicked off, and already I can say it is having a better effect than palm's previous campaign.

-HP's scale in reaching both consumer & enterprise customers is huge. In addition to the 600,000+ retail outlets they will be selling TouchPads in, HP has a sales force of over 20,000 people that specifically target corporate clients. With those numbers, they will definitely be abe to move tons of TouchPads in both consumer & enterprise markets. This is probably also the reason why they ship 2 PC's a second. I'm pretty sure they have more outlets to sell the TouchPad than any other competitor, including Apple.

So I think these 3 points will probably be the biggest factors in whether or not the TouchPad succeeds.
  7.    #7  
    The statement about being able to sell the Touchpad in more retail environments than apple is true. The only tablet that would come close to HP's retail presence is Blackberry Playbook for I have spotted it at Staples, Office Depot, Office Max, Best Buy...and these are places HP will be BUT HP will also be at Wal-Mart, Sams Club, and Costco...and I'm sure more.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    None of the abve.

User interface with cards and notifications.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    None of the abve.

User interface with cards and notifications.
    Yeah. I went to BB in search of a working demo unit and played with the Playbook for a second after getting disappointed over BB lack of TouchPad goodness. Maybe it's just me, but the Playbook didn't do a good job at copying switching from card to card. I'd swipe as if on webOS and wind up at either of the outer most cards. To me, webOS has it right where a swipe goes to the next app in whatever direction you direct it and doesn't fly to the outer most app.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    Yeah. I went to BB in search of a working demo unit and played with the Playbook for a second after getting disappointed over BB lack of TouchPad goodness. Maybe it's just me, but the Playbook didn't do a good job at copying switching from card to card. I'd swipe as if on webOS and wind up at either of the outer most cards. To me, webOS has it right where a swipe goes to the next app in whatever direction you direct it and doesn't fly to the outer most app.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    This is exactly what I was talking about in another thread, the playbook is gimmicky when you swipe whereas WebOS is perfect in the swiping between cards.
    All those were present in webOS 1.0.x on the Pre. They are not enough. There need to be high quality hardwares and aggressive marketing.
  12.    #12  
    From what I've read and heard the hardware is of high quality, if you're talking externally I read that its a Gorilla glass screen and the use of plastic over aluminum is debatable as preferred by customers.
    Aggressive marketing, I completely agree. I can't wait for them to have commercials all over the networks.