Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    First post.

Just got back from Walmart (North Richland Hills, TX) and spent about 15-20 minutes playing with the TouchPad demo unit. Everything was snappy, but the touch responsiveness seems lacking (a lot of repeat taps to register, it felt).

Anyway, connected via bluetooth, and immediately called my wife on my Sprint Pre- (I dialed the number from the phone). A card opens on the TouchPad with what appears to be an emulation of the dialer on the Pre-. My wife answers; call audio is coming out of the touchpad speakers. I am freaking out 'cause I'm so excited. My wife thinks I'm a dork and says goodbye.

I did not have a chance to test SMS capability, but the Sprint Pre- with 1.4.5 definitely is compatible with the TouchPad for voice calls! During the bluetooth pairing, there is an option for "WebOS devices," so I do not think that you will be able to pair with just any phone for calling.

Jonathan
    Thats awesome news! Thanks!!
    Congrads on first post and thanks for the news!
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Wow, I thought maybe it could be implemented, didn't expect it to be baked in. If we can get more people to confirm that would be awesome.

I thought maybe when some earlier had posted the WebOS device option.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Hopefully this means SM works too. Thanks for the great news. It makes me even more excited for Friday.
    PICTURES!!!!!!! I Soooo wanna believe this. That would be awesome!!!!!

This is cool, but I really want SMS more than phone. Please be true.
    I think you need webOS 2.2 for SMS.
    Werd, I had bt with the home phones.... Sms would be awesome for not having to go grab thephone

I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    @nappy, you need 2.2 for TTS

Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    fingers crossed for sms...
    Great, Great News! I was worried that feature would not work with my Sprint Pre. If we can get confirmation on SMS, I will do backflips.

My Pre Does EXACTLY What I Need It To Do, And Thats Why I Have A webOS Relationship.

Facebook: facebook.com/LordSecksie
    Twitter: @LordSecksie
    TextOne: LordSecksie
    I wonder if this means that it will work with every bt phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    @nappy, you need 2.2 for TTS

Yeah, I think SMS requires 2.2 on the phone too, though. I could be wrong though.

EDIT: I'm actually double checking this right now
    Last edited by nappy; 06/27/2011 at 10:03 PM.
  15.    #15  
    I forgot to mention that in the App Launcher there is an app for the dialer - I can't remember the name exactly, but it looks like a phone icon. When you open this app without anything connected via bluetooth, it is just a blank white background, with the app menu dropdown in the top left. When I opened it after my Pre- was connected, it brought up a call log button and a dial-pad button. So, I actually made an outgoing call using the dialpad on the TouchPad as well. Worked flawlessly.

Wish I had taken pics, but I completely spaced. I'm sure as more people get out and test these demo units, we will get more reports confirming my experience.
    I'm also looking forward to this -- could this be one of the ways HP/Palm will make it up to us *legacy* users?
    I think SMS works as well but you must be signed I to your profile from the TP so all contacts sync although I can't confirm this.
    So far, results are mixed. Voice calling on the TP with legacy 1.4.5 Pre's, Pixi's and Plus's works for some, but not for others.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...5-devices.html

One thing that doesn't seem to be an issue so far is BT pairing. Thus far it seems devices running legacy webOS 1.4.5 have no problems connecting to the TP, but some are not passing calls to/from the TP and others are.

Would everyone please include as much information as possible when reporting your results, whether you are successful or not. Things like what patches and apps you've installed are very important. Maybe it's something simple. For example we might find out devices with freetether installed work and devices without it don't.

Only way to narrow it down will be to get as much detail as possible in your posts.

BTW this appeal is focusing on Voice calling results. We don't expect much luck with SMS text, but if you do test out SMS transferst, feel free to report on those results too. With the huge brain trust we have here at P|C a solution that works for SMS might be possible too.
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 06/27/2011 at 11:06 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    This is great news!! If SMS works with 1.4.5, I'll be getting a Touchpad and I'll let me Pre- stay in service a while longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furuboru View Post
    I'm also looking forward to this -- could this be one of the ways HP/Palm will make it up to us *legacy* users?
    If that's true then that would be a pretty pathetic attempt. I have *zero* intention in getting any tablet, so that wouldn't be making any thing right for me.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI… T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast