Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I've been to dozens, probably hundreds, possibly thousands, of corporate presentations. I've never once seen one done from a tablet computer. Most are not done from laptops, unless they're done from someone visiting. Most are done from the corporate workstation that's connected to the AV equipment.

That's not to say it would not be handy, but a "requirement"? I hardly think so.
    In the past year, I've been to some where the traveling CEO is giving his presentation via his/her iPad1, starting already from March, April of a year ago. It really caught on in the circles I travel.
    After playing with one tonight, I get it. I have to go to a conference tomorrow, I would love to take a tablet rather than shlep my mac, I'm liking this mighty meeting app and can't wait until we get doc editing.
    I've been to dozens, probably hundreds, possibly thousands, of corporate presentations. I've never once seen one done from a tablet computer. Most are not done from laptops, unless they're done from someone visiting. Most are done from the corporate workstation that's connected to the AV equipment.
    so the question is, after you have been to that many corp presentations, how many tablets did you see? Could it be that corp just isn't a big market for these new wave of none-windows tablet, therefore doesn't have many of them?

We can only talk about ratios, not numbers: when using a tablet, how often people will use it for presentation? corp vs consumer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Just what i've been reading from people that have already got them.

[Elect] Asus eeePad Transformer (Honeycomb 3.1, dock + tablet bundle from Amazon/ME) - RedFlagDeals.com Forums

Check page 102 of that thread.
    That says nothing about returning rate, I think you are making things up here.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    so the question is, after you have been to that many corp presentations, how many tablets did you see? Could it be that corp just isn't a big market for these new wave of none-windows tablet, therefore doesn't have many of them?
    Could be, but I don't think that's it at all. Besides, we're only suppsed to be talking about the current situation, not the future, wasn't that your stipulation?

At most presentations I go to, there aren't any computers from those in the audience. The one exception is presentations at tech conferences (I've been to a bunch of those too), and those guys are usually using their ocmputer checking on email and such.

From everything I'm reading about tablets, most folks are using them as an "add-on accessory" to their normal computing needs. In other words, they have a computer, and are going to continue to use it, and still use the tablet. I don't see that changing in the corporate world either.

Yes, I believe there will be some demand for this, but I also believe it will be little demand, and will likely be filled by an add-on device.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post

We can only talk about ratios, not numbers: when using a tablet, how often people will use it for presentation? corp vs consumer.

That says nothing about returning rate, I think you are making things up here.
    You need to re-read the thread. The guy stated that Canada Computers told him about half of the transformers were coming back for repair or return. He was trying to return his because of 7 dead pixels. Others report light bleed problems. Others say it lags badly in areas.
    ..but maybe NOT for the Touchpad 1 yet...?

Every now and again, the rules for how to build a personal computer change. One of those moments may arrive next year with a high-speed wireless technology that could let people link tablets with big-screen TVs or dock laptops when arriving in the office.
    The technology, which uses the 60GHz band of radio spectrum and is designed to transfer as much as 7 gigabits of data per second, matches what many wired connections provide, either inside a computer chassis or through the profusion of ports that perforate laptop sides. A group called the WiGig Alliance is developing it, and the group announced today new specifications that could help replace the current tangle of cables.
    "I fully expect to see the product ramp to start midyear next year," said Mark Grodzinsky, chairman of the WiGig Alliance's marketing group. "In 2013 you end up with an explosion of products."

Read more: 60GHz tech promises wireless docking, USB, HDMI | Deep Tech - CNET News
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    You need to re-read the thread. The guy stated that Canada Computers told him about half of the transformers were coming back for repair or return. He was trying to return his because of 7 dead pixels. Others report light bleed problems. Others say it lags badly in areas.
    I believe the problems are real, but returning rate is obviously a guess out of frustration. 50% simply is not a believeable number.

Remember, bleed light is a common problem in many products. There is no evidence to suggest eeepad is doing significantly worse than any other tablets.
    ---
    galaxy tab tapatalk

That's not to say it would not be handy, but a "requirement"? I hardly think so.
    no no no. not corporate meetings of that size, but smaller meetings with account teams, a key group of 10 people at a specific customer or partner.

I have been in the technology business for a long time and one thing I have noticed is most things are designed without sales or field employees in mind. I was in IT for the first 12 years and this is exactly my company did. The field employees would continue to complain that they could not do certain things and we just didn't get it or seem to care. The last 10 years I have been in the field and I now see want these employees have gone through. The mindset is still people sitting at a desk with a PC. This really holds true from a corporate IT standpoint. They seem to manage IT for IT's sake, addressing their issues not so much those in the field that are actually creating revenue for the company.

This is how I see the TP was created - without field people in mind. A video out option is a must for them to leverage AND they are some of the people that would leverage a tablet most.

IMO of course
    Quote Originally Posted by dguidry12 View Post
    I bet that at least 80% of business environment does. Hey it does not good in trying to defend something the TP does not have that cost only 3$ and brings a world of functionality with at just like a rear camera. Reviewers are going to eat this thing alive.. Theres absolutely no reason at all something delivered 7 months into the year 2011 shouldn't have a basic functionality. Bone headed if HP doesn't have somehting up their sleeves.
    That depends on what one does in the business environment. I would have little use for a video out port, especially a HDMI port. Using it to look at email, documents, ebooks, etc in meetings would be the major use for me. Someone using it as a wi-fi "smart clipboard" in a hospital or a warehouse would also have little need for video out. It certainly would be required for those who give presentations quite often, but I don't think that's 80% of the business market.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    We absolutely know that it doesn't have an HDMI port. People have been playing with them at the announcement (including me) and Dev events, and now Best Buy / Walmart, etc. The specs were published on Feb 9th.
    No doubt we know it doesn't have "HDMI" out directly from a port, but there are still people who are hopeful that it may use an adapter to run HDMI from the microUSB port.

I have a different post in the accessories forum about the potential for a Wireless N HDMI adapter or something. DLNA and other wireless technologies have been discussed as well.

The TouchPad just NEEDS some sort of video out capability. Whether that is microUSB to HDMI, DLNA, Wireless HDMI, Wi-fi to HDMI Router accessory. Just something.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    That depends on what one does in the business environment. I would have little use for a video out port, especially a HDMI port. Using it to look at email, documents, ebooks, etc in meetings would be the major use for me. Someone using it as a wi-fi "smart clipboard" in a hospital or a warehouse would also have little need for video out. It certainly would be required for those who give presentations quite often, but I don't think that's 80% of the business market.
    The problem is that --- the first waves of business users that are being equipped with tablets are sales people, which often do presentations.
    As I've been waiting to pick up my Touchpad on the 1st, I've been back and forth about the video-out issue.

Frankly, If you're presenting to a handful of people (my most common scenario as an app/dev), you're often presenting on a laptop screen. If you're doing a powerpoint presentation to a room full of people, I'd submit that's the wrong place for a tablet anyway.

I see a business use of my Touchpad in just grabbing it and going.. stopping in someone else's cube with your files at hand. Sitting in a quick status meeting and being able to take notes. Some sort of Remote Desktop software would be pretty essential - and it looks like there may be some solutions on the drawing board, or perhaps solutions that use Flash would just work in the browser.

Anyway, I still wish I could recall the presentation done some months ago where someone was watching a video on their Touchpad, and then sets it down on a Touchstone which continues streaming it to a TV or monitor..
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123