Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I don't think anybody knows definitively there is no video out option for the TouchPad at this point. One of HPs product managers has indicated they have some sort of multimedia surprise in store at the launch.

I have my fingers crossed there is some accessory or something. The lack of HDMI is absolutely a death knell for the device for both business and personal use, and the topic has been beaten already.

Just have to wait to see if the leadership team should keep their jobs. My guess is that the TouchPad has no video out capability whatsoever, and HP intended it to lack video out so it wouldn't compete with their laptops. If that's the case, HP still doesn't get it, and likely never will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I don't think the decision to exclude HDMI out had anything to do with price or hardware. It likely was software. Getting the software to work nice and friendly with HDMI would have taken more dev time.
    It had to do with the fact that the hardware design was already finalized to ship with Android last summer... and then HP bought Palm and replaced Android with webOS. I'm certain that they are working hard on follow-up hardware that will be targeted at the iPad3... But the initial TouchPad is shipping about a year after originally targeted, when it would have gone toe-to-toe with the iPad1...

Ps, I sat through a major presentation from someone with an iPad connected to a projector last week. Total distraction, and it came off as un-polished to watch him stare at the tablet and constantly swipe at pages trying to get animations to start. You can't beat using a netbook and the spacebar for projecting presentations... I wanted to tell the guy to email the slides to me so he could use my netbook. He definitely didn't connect with the audience because of the distraction to him and to his audience. Just sayin.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    I don't think anybody knows definitively there is no video out option for the TouchPad at this point. One of HPs product managers has indicated they have some sort of multimedia surprise in store at the launch.

I have my fingers crossed there is some accessory or something. The lack of HDMI is absolutely a death knell for the device for both business and personal use, and the topic has been beaten already.

Just have to wait to see if the leadership team should keep their jobs. My guess is that the TouchPad has no video out capability whatsoever, and HP intended it to lack video out so it wouldn't compete with their laptops. If that's the case, HP still doesn't get it, and likely never will.
    We absolutely know that it doesn't have an HDMI port. People have been playing with them at the announcement (including me) and Dev events, and now Best Buy / Walmart, etc. The specs were published on Feb 9th.

This is old news and there are several other threads that have covered this topic in detail.

Ps, it would be cool if there was a way to add HDMI over Ethernet/WiFi in a point release. That's the way I think it will be done by every tablet some day...

Wireless HDMI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    We absolutely know that it doesn't have an HDMI port. People have been playing with them at the announcement (including me) and Dev events, and now Best Buy / Walmart, etc. The specs were published on Feb 9th.

This is old news and there are several other threads that have covered this topic in detail.

Ps, it would be cool if there was a way to add HDMI over Ethernet/WiFi in a point release. That's the way I think it will be done by every tablet some day...

Wireless HDMI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Wow..this is totally horrible.. And even though this thing was finalized last year HP should have pulled a Samsung and changed the design. I used to work for a company that does business with HP and this is how it goes. HP gives certain BUnits a budget to work with and I bet they didn't give Palm a good budget to go back a fix things like a silly camera or HDMI.. This is a major fail on HP and I bet it will get someone fired when this outdate piece of equipment fails for lack of market driven features.. SMFH
    I'm planning to use the touchpad for business and I have absolutely no need for any sort of video out. In my personal life I have enough computers to watch on, and if me and my girlfriend want to watch netflix, it saves on having to hook up anything extra.
    No video out = more cuddle time = win.
    At Mobile World Congress this year, HP told Cnet UK that they would "likely ship an accessory that allows users to connect the TouchPad to an external display such as a television, so users can enjoy multimedia content on the big screen."

HP TouchPad | Reviews | CNET UK

The fact that this has never been mentioned again is weird though. I don't know what's going to happen. Sure no video out is disappointing, but if they don't make an accessory that can do it, I'm sure it will be in the next TouchPad being released next year. I plan to give my first TouchPad to the wife as soon as the second comes out anyway.
    I believe there will be an adapter for hdmi and usb...
    Well forget I said USB, of course it's already got a USB cord
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    You can't pigeon hole the "business use" term to mean that it MUST have video out. There are countless uses for a tablet without video out and the TouchPad would definitely fit the bill.
    Sure you can if your job consists of mostly presenting to customers, vendors, partners, other staff via a projector. Some form of video out is then required. thus, it MUST have video out!

The other countless business requirement is doc editing, which will not be there on launch... Another MUST for business use. Yeah, I know I know, we're told it's coming.

Honestly, the touchpad is the closest device for me in being able to leave the laptop at home for over 50% of my business... not it is a third device to carry around. While I will probably still pick one up, I have the feeling it will now collect more dust than previously planned - which was to collect no dust.

The 1st Gen TouchPad will now be used for:

1. some web surfing while away from office/desk
    2. watching movies (that I copy to device)
    3. watching music and videos
    4. checking email while at airport or possibly away from desk
    5. playing around with the apps

damn, now that I made my list, I may want to save the $600 plus and wait for 2nd gen. I know I won't buy any other tablet, so maybe that is the best approach. Who knows what I'll do.
    Last edited by Midway99; 06/27/2011 at 10:55 PM.
    Don't forget eBooks. This will probably be the bulk of my TouchPad usage. All these nice pdf ebooks that I don't want to read off a laptop. Been waiting for a tablet just for this.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityPre View Post
    At Mobile World Congress this year, HP told Cnet UK that they would "likely ship an accessory that allows users to connect the TouchPad to an external display such as a television, so users can enjoy multimedia content on the big screen."

HP TouchPad | Reviews | CNET UK

The fact that this has never been mentioned again is weird though. I don't know what's going to happen. Sure no video out is disappointing, but if they don't make an accessory that can do it, I'm sure it will be in the next TouchPad being released next year. I plan to give my first TouchPad to the wife as soon as the second comes out anyway.
    I hope they make something happen forreal!!
    Quote Originally Posted by dguidry12 View Post
    Wow..this is totally horrible.. And even though this thing was finalized last year HP should have pulled a Samsung and changed the design. I used to work for a company that does business with HP and this is how it goes. HP gives certain BUnits a budget to work with and I bet they didn't give Palm a good budget to go back a fix things like a silly camera or HDMI.. This is a major fail on HP and I bet it will get someone fired when this outdate piece of equipment fails for lack of market driven features.. SMFH
    Yes we will see how it fairs against the Xoom sales wise. Asus, well I heard their transformers are being returned at an alarming rate for crap quality control, so no worries there. I think they are suffering from poorer quality control than Palm did. I saw a message from someone who said light bleeding was normal for tablets! Lol! Maybe in his world.

So the Ipad 1 (which was a major failure by the way) was almost never used for video out. Guess the handful of geek specs people who want all these features will be disappointed while the majority of the people who actually buy the tablets for consumer leisure will continue to buy tablets that appeal to them as an overall package. Those android tablets with HDMI must be raking poor Apple over the coals sales wise. LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Asus, well I heard their transformers are being returned at an alarming rate for crap quality control, so no worries there. I think they are suffering from poorer quality control than Palm did. I saw a message from someone who said light bleeding was normal for tablets! Lol! Maybe in his world.
    link?
    Just what i've been reading from people that have already got them.

[Elect] Asus eeePad Transformer (Honeycomb 3.1, dock + tablet bundle from Amazon/ME) - RedFlagDeals.com Forums

Check page 102 of that thread.
    There is a meeting client I saw tonight at a store (Mighty Meeting.com). It allows you to upload your video or your presentation into the cloud (2 gigs free storage) and then you invite others to view it. It requires that the others have machines obviously but most people will have a laptop, perhaps even one of the larger phones can view OK.

Edit: found review of serviceon techcrunch:

"But unlike a standard file sharing service, the link you send from MightyMeeting isn’t just a link to the file — it’s actually a link to a presentation that you can control remotely. Clicking the link brings the attendee to a browser-based viewing window on their PC or mobile phone. Then, when you flip to the next slide on your phone, the change will be made on the screens of everyone else in the presentation. You can use a simultaneous voice call to communicate, or an integrated chat function. You can conduct the presentation from either 3G or a Wi-Fi network. And if you want your presentation to go viral for some reason, you can share it with Twitter and Facebook directly from your app."

http://techcrunch.com/2010/01/15/mig...-presentation/
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Just what i've been reading from people that have already got them.

[Elect] Asus eeePad Transformer (Honeycomb 3.1, dock + tablet bundle from Amazon/ME) - RedFlagDeals.com Forums

Check page 102 of that thread.
    I'm looking for something more like this example.

iPad 2 light leakage due to faulty LG panels? (update) -- Engadget
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    what kind of business uses is touchpad addressing then?

Lets refrain from predicting future since thats not a sure thing. and, whatever a "touchpad pro" may or may not have, really have no impact on touchpad itself.

They may be able to come up with some convertor, we shall see. hopefully won't be too expensive.
    You've kind of limited the conversation. Kind of hard to talk about current business uses for a device that's not out yet, without talking about the future.

That said, I would say that the only limitation not having video out would present is that you can't do presentations from the device, or watch videos.

I suspect businesses do more than watch presentations and videos. All those "other things" is what one would use it for.
    Hahaha ..this is laughable..I understand that you are a fan of this product and you want it to succeed. Trust me and I do as well..But in this case you are out numbered my friend. In a world with Hulu, netflix, youtube and all of the other countless media avenues out there it is important that HP fixes this foolishness...
    And they must do so immediately - for all of those business that require Hulu, netflix and youtube to be transmitted to large audiences all at once, and the only device from which to do it is the company's one tablet computer.
    /sarcasm
    I bet that at least 80% of business environment does. Hey it does not good in trying to defend something the TP does not have that cost only 3$ and brings a world of functionality with at just like a rear camera. Reviewers are going to eat this thing alive.. Theres absolutely no reason at all something delivered 7 months into the year 2011 shouldn't have a basic functionality. Bone headed if HP doesn't have somehting up their sleeves.
    I've been to dozens, probably hundreds, possibly thousands, of corporate presentations. I've never once seen one done from a tablet computer. Most are not done from laptops, unless they're done from someone visiting. Most are done from the corporate workstation that's connected to the AV equipment.

That's not to say it would not be handy, but a "requirement"? I hardly think so.
    Or, maybe some people with shut up when it succeeds. It's a possibility you know (the succeeding that is, I wouldn't take bets on the shutting up part).
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast