Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33
  1.    #1  
    I say Opal should have the same processor, resolution, CPU and GPU as TP. The only change should be Opal being light. I hope they add NFC to Opal. What do you guys think?

    I have this sinking feeling Opal would come out with even less impressive specs than TP, to get better battery life. I think H/P should invest in some battery technology and get higher density battery than current ones they use.

    On the other note, I wish there was subsection under webos Tablets in the forums for "other tablets" Currently one can only select TP under webOS tablets in the forums.

    What do you guys speculate of the coming Opal specs?
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  2. #2  
    What you want is what we call a "eierlegende Wollmilchsau" (a pig that lays eggs, has wool and gives milk) in Germany. You want everything. You want NFC and the same specs as the TP in a smaller and lighter package. You will have to make some adjustments.

    Such a device would be great, though. However, I expect worse battery life coupled with a 1 GHz dual core. So a mixture of battery life and speed. They'll probably keep the processor, so the GPU might be the same as well (keep binning in mind).

    For NFC the Opal should be too advanced in the development cycle.
  3. #3  
    If it's really coming out in August the specs are not only solid but they are probably already making them.

    You will get no NFC.
  4. #4  
    I would want Opal to be every bit as powerful as TP2, just smaller. I don't want a neutered Pre in the form of Pixi again.
  5. #5  
    I don't think a 7" tablet should have same resolution as a 10" one, its not the same ratio of length/width.

    it should be, however, 1024px at least on the length. This is the minimum requirement for web and pdf. if its smaller, it will just fail, because it would be no better than a phone.

    Battery should last at least 8hrs.

    CPU can be the same, memory should be >1G.

    HP should NOT intentionally water down hardware in 7" pad to differentiate it from touchpad, this type of pure business decision will more likely reduce Opal sales, instead of generating touchpad sales.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    What you want is what we call a "eierlegende Wollmilchsau" (a pig that lays eggs, has wool and gives milk) in Germany. You want everything. You want NFC and the same specs as the TP in a smaller and lighter package. You will have to make some adjustments.

    Such a device would be great, though. However, I expect worse battery life coupled with a 1 GHz dual core. So a mixture of battery life and speed. They'll probably keep the processor, so the GPU might be the same as well (keep binning in mind).

    For NFC the Opal should be too advanced in the development cycle.
    90 percent of the weight of TP is battery, thats why I say, H/P instead of flexible display should have higher density batteries, that last longer for the same weight. or atleast make a higher density battery accessory.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    I don't think a 7" tablet should have same resolution as a 10" one, its not the same ratio of length/width.

    it should be, however, 1024px at least on the length. This is the minimum requirement for web and pdf. if its smaller, it will just fail, because it would be no better than a phone.

    Battery should last at least 8hrs.

    CPU can be the same, memory should be >1G.

    HP should NOT intentionally water down hardware in 7" pad to differentiate it from touchpad, this type of pure business decision will more likely reduce Opal sales, instead of generating touchpad sales.
    Blackberry resolution is 1024x600 pixels and that is a 7 inch tab. Apple in IP-3 will come out with retina display with pixel density around 330 dpi. that means double the resolution of current TP. If apple can do it, H/P should be able to push the same resolution in a 7 inch tablet. Time for H/P to get up and become a do-er than say cant be done.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Blackberry resolution is 1024x600 pixels and that is a 7 inch tab. Apple in IP-3 will come out with retina display with pixel density around 330 dpi. that means double the resolution of current TP. If apple can do it, H/P should be able to push the same resolution in a 7 inch tablet. Time for H/P to get up and become a do-er than say cant be done.
    I sure hope so, but I am not confident, look at Touchpad, 1024x768, no rear camera, 8hr battery, plastic, thicker than many tablets out there. I don't know if HP actually put "best hardwares inside and out" at a high enough priority.

    It seems many big computer maker turn tablet makers just don't get it, remember DELL puting out a 7" tablet with 800x600 several months back? Its just hard to guess what these people were thinking.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Blackberry resolution is 1024x600 pixels and that is a 7 inch tab. Apple in IP-3 will come out with retina display with pixel density around 330 dpi. that means double the resolution of current TP. If apple can do it, H/P should be able to push the same resolution in a 7 inch tablet. Time for H/P to get up and become a do-er than say cant be done.
    GTab and Nook Color also have 1024x600. It's great b/c you're taking a 10" netbook resolution and cramming that into a 7" space. Things are sharper. I think 9.7/10.1 displays should have 1280x800 (and similar grade res) displays like Transformer. 1024x768 seriously feels like my mom's 15" laptop with a 1366x768 display... everything is just so bubbly large and the pixels are so big, they can literally touch your face.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    GTab and Nook Color also have 1024x600. It's great b/c you're taking a 10" netbook resolution and cramming that into a 7" space. Things are sharper. I think 9.7/10.1 displays should have 1280x800 (and similar grade res) displays like Transformer. 1024x768 seriously feels like my mom's 15" laptop with a 1366x768 display... everything is just so bubbly large and the pixels are so big, they can literally touch your face.
    I don't think I'd buy a webOS device with a resolution that's 'off'. By that, I mean that the main tablet resolution is 1024x768. PDK stuff is designed around that. Just look at the amount of PDK stuff for the Veer and Pixi, and you'll see what I mean. Rather than rework it for the lower resolution, developers just won't release things for it.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I don't think I'd buy a webOS device with a resolution that's 'off'. By that, I mean that the main tablet resolution is 1024x768. PDK stuff is designed around that. Just look at the amount of PDK stuff for the Veer and Pixi, and you'll see what I mean. Rather than rework it for the lower resolution, developers just won't release things for it.
    that just shows the importance of entering the market with a good, forward looking strategy, including deciding on a good resolution that will last the device for next 5 years.

    HP just live in the iPad 1 era and followed apple with 1024x768. Its just not a forward thinking decision.

    On another point, isn't webOS scalable? exactly how scalable is it?
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    On another point, isn't webOS scalable? exactly how scalable is it?
    Enyo stuff supposedly scales well, but then again, Mojo stuff supposedly did too.

    PDK stuff is said to zoom to fullscreen on the Touchpad, but just like you can't play Pre (320x480) versions of PDK games on the Veer (320x400), it seems like you wouldn't be able to play 1024x768 versions of games on something that was 1024x600. You'd need either custom for that resolution, or you'd have to upscale the 320x480 stuff, I'd imagine.

    Then again, the Pre 3 is going to be 800x480, so maybe you could scale that up to 1024x600-ish.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    I sure hope so, but I am not confident, look at Touchpad, 1024x768, no rear camera, 8hr battery, plastic, thicker than many tablets out there. I don't know if HP actually put "best hardwares inside and out" at a high enough priority.

    It seems many big computer maker turn tablet makers just don't get it, remember DELL puting out a 7" tablet with 800x600 several months back? Its just hard to guess what these people were thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    that just shows the importance of entering the market with a good, forward looking strategy, including deciding on a good resolution that will last the device for next 5 years.

    HP just live in the iPad 1 era and followed apple with 1024x768. Its just not a forward thinking decision.

    On another point, isn't webOS scalable? exactly how scalable is it?
    Man you sure hit the nail right on the head, just follow it up with saying hardware is not important, software is. Apps are not important, quality is, for sure iOS apps lack in quality that 5 apps webOS has. Also tell people who complain, to go to android and iOS if they are not happy. And through in intuitive UI that is only partly GPU accelerated and true multi-tasking somewhere in it.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  14. #14  
    Please HP, just don't recreate Pixigate with Opal. Please let it have decent CPU and enough memory at least to be able to carry operating system without lag.
    Probably, 7" model is more pro than 10". If it's tailored to fit blazer's pocket, and enough light, I could picture managers carrying it for serious messaging, report reviewing etc. instead netbooks.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I don't think I'd buy a webOS device with a resolution that's 'off'. By that, I mean that the main tablet resolution is 1024x768. PDK stuff is designed around that. Just look at the amount of PDK stuff for the Veer and Pixi, and you'll see what I mean. Rather than rework it for the lower resolution, developers just won't release things for it.
    Well, let's ignore screen res that goes with aspect ratios. Android tablets tend to be 16:10 and Ipad/TP are 4:3. I would like to see TP get bumped up to the next dense resolution above 1024x768. Seriously, 1024x768? Reminds me of the Thinkpad x31 I was using at work years back before widescreen and HD res came into the picture.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    Well, let's ignore screen res that goes with aspect ratios. Android tablets tend to be 16:10 and Ipad/TP are 4:3. I would like to see TP get bumped up to the next dense resolution above 1024x768. Seriously, 1024x768? Reminds me of the Thinkpad x31 I was using at work years back before widescreen and HD res came into the picture.
    I think instead of doubling like they should have done with pre-3 resolution, they will make it slightly less appealing and do it 1024x 600. For H/P will never be leader in hardware.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  17. #17  
    Higher resolution usually means more battery drain. It's not worth it unless the payoff is REALLY something.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Higher resolution usually means more battery drain. It's not worth it unless the payoff is REALLY something.
    even if so, its manageable. xoom, eeepad, galaxy tab 10.1 all have >8hr battery life, I doubt touchpad can last longer than that.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Higher resolution usually means more battery drain. It's not worth it unless the payoff is REALLY something.
    If IP-3 comes out with double the resolution and same battery life, everybody would say great, but why cant H/P comes out on Opal with the same resolution as TP and have a same battery life? Why is H/P not so innovative like Apple.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    If IP-3 comes out with double the resolution and same battery life, everybody would say great, but why cant H/P comes out on Opal with the same resolution as TP and have a same battery life? Why is H/P not so innovative like Apple.
    How can you declare an unannounced product as un-innovative before even knowing what the specs are?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions