View Poll Results: Which size tablet do you prefer to get your touch on?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10" (well 9.7")

73 65.77%
  • 7"

37 33.33%
  • other (specify)

1 0.90%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds the 7" tablet more appealing than the main one...
    7" definitely seems more mobile to me, but I am not interested in being more mobile.I am willing to consider a 9" (like the Galaxy 8.9) and see if it really gives up that much real estate while becoming more mobile, and I am very interested in a 12" screen. I dont think 10" & 7" are the definitive sizes for a tablet.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    You're not alone, I was going to get a Playbook to replace my iPad 1 but now I know the 7" TP is coming, I'm waiting for that. Portable, paperback book sized for taking my Kindle books out and about when I'm on the train, having the webOS browser to hand, and hopefully all the synergy stuff with my future Pre 3 - 7" = PERFECT for me!
    Personally, I prefer the 10". My wife though, has decided that she's going to wait to buy until the 3g version of the TouchPad comes out. I haven't even discussed the 7" version with her. I pretty strongly suspect once she sees that, she will go with it (especially if they have a connected version). She basically wants to carry a TouchPad and completely stop carrying a mobile phone.
    geesh i own 4 computers (just an estimation), 1 laptop and a netbook already, two pres (minus and plus) and the veer is on the way. how can i justify i need a tablet (my netbook fits in my bag just perfect) ??

hmm but when it is a 7 inch it would be more like buying just another toy... perhaps... ? YESS i think i am ok with it
    I can't imagine using a 7" tablet. Too small to actually make use of the real estate of the screens. Might as well get one of the huge smartphones out there.
    something224 likes this.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    10" for me. I like the size of the iPad. With the widescreen, the Asus Iconia even seems a bit small for my tastes, despite having the same diagonal measure as the iPad. I played with the original Galaxy Tab when it came out and it kinda sucked for size, IMO.

Of course, my major reasons for wanting a tablet are for documents, whether Word or PDF, so I really want that 8.5" x 11" feel. YMMV.
    Since my Touchpad will primarily be used at home, I don't really care about portability. I have a Pre2 (hopefully Pre3 someday) to use when I'm out and about, so the bigger screen will be nicer when I'm at home. Also, I can take the Touchpad on trips or other occasions when I would like to use it, and it will still travel better than a laptop.

-Skippy
    I always thought 7" was too small when I looked at Galaxy Tab1 and Nook Color in the stores. Then I bought the dang thing (Galaxy) and I have really come to like the size. I love being able to palm the sucker with one hand in portrait mode. And I like how portable a 7" tablet is.

For me, compactness and portability > greater screen real estate.
    I do like 7" for the portability.

But again, if its portable, it need to be connected, otherwise it will be less useful.

I already have galaxy tab with tmobile, which I will not give up. Invest in Opal seem redundant to me.

We will see, I will wait for Opal to be out and get some hands on with both models, and see if I want either one of them.
    7" is too small. 10" all the way.

ET
    For those who like the 7" for portability, would you just prefer to have a 7" smartphone? Do you carry both the 7" tablet and your smartphone?

I guess I don't understand carrying a 7" tablet around all the time and carrying a smartphone too. It seems to me that the smartphone would take care of all the portability needs, and the tablet would be used more like a laptop (at home, hotel, office, or occasionally out and about).

-Skippy
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy07 View Post
    For those who like the 7" for portability, would you just prefer to have a 7" smartphone? Do you carry both the 7" tablet and your smartphone?

-Skippy
    the difference is smartphone needs frequent panning from all directions when browsing or reading pdf, etc.

the difference is also 7" tab have much longer battery.

I do carry both, and you should try it out and you will see.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    the difference is smartphone needs frequent panning from all directions when browsing or reading pdf, etc.

the difference is also 7" tab have much longer battery.

I do carry both, and you should try it out and you will see.
    So, would you prefer that your 7" tablet was also your smartphone?

Oh, and I won't be trying it out. I already know there's no way I'm carring around a 7" tablet and a smartphone. I dislike the mini-tablets which some companies are pushing as 4"+ smartphones as I think they're to big to be carring around all the time.

-Skippy

I guess I don't understand carrying a 7" tablet around all the time and carrying a smartphone too. It seems to me that the smartphone would take care of all the portability needs, and the tablet would be used more like a laptop (at home, hotel, office, or occasionally out and about).

-Skippy
    Couple things, I am hoping the 7inch will come in at a good price point for my budget. I would also like to get a 10inch to use around the house. I think a 7inch tablet compliments a Veer nicely, big enough to do my browsing and what not while still being able to carry a small but capable smartphone in situations where I don't want to carry (or worry about) a tablet.

Then again this is why we will be switching to ATT for GSM. I would like to get a Pre 3 as well, and the ability to swap in the SIM card between the two phones just sounds awesome.

In the end for me the 7inch is going to come down to price point, if it's too close to the 10inch then it's a non-starter for me and I would just go with the 10. If I can get 2 7inchers for a little more than a 10inch that would work (since the wife would really like a tablet as well). I sit at a computer all day at work, and have the desktop and HTPC if I need to compute at home on bigger screens. I also don't feel like I *need* 32 gigs of storage on a tablet, so I am looking at 16 gigs as being perfect for us regardless of screen size.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    So, would you prefer that your 7" tablet was also your smartphone?

Oh, and I won't be trying it out. I already know there's no way I'm carring around a 7" tablet and a smartphone. I dislike the mini-tablets which some companies are pushing as 4"+ smartphones as I think they're to big to be carring around all the time.

-Skippy
    I would not, because it won't fit into my jeans.

I think its wrong to assume 7" tablet is interchangeable with smartphone. All tablets are "accessory product" in terms that they are not necessary. I think 7" is more useful than 10" one for its portability, while still being more enjoyable in web surfing, pdf reading or office editing than a smartphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    I would not, because it won't fit into my jeans.

I think its wrong to assume 7" tablet is interchangeable with smartphone. All tablets are "accessory product" in terms that they are not necessary. I think 7" is more useful than 10" one for its portability, while still being more enjoyable in web surfing, pdf reading or office editing than a smartphone.
    Especially when paired with a BT keyboard so you don't have the VKB taking up screen real estate.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    10" for me. I played with Playbook and it does look nice, and feels great (to be honest, I was really impressed maybe because I resented BB devices before), but is small for my taste.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Especially when paired with a BT keyboard so you don't have the VKB taking up screen real estate.
    indeed, in fact, I do have a BT keyboard and a BT mice for my galaxy tab. Its really good
    I know I'm in a minority but I'd only be interested in a 7" if it were also a phone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast