I thought 7" would be too small too until my wife got a nook color. After a few days of it laying around the house and actually using it as a tablet I am now convinced that 7" is the way to go.
Originally Posted by laoh
I listed a bunch of reasons below, but it all boils down to matching a specific usage pattern. I am not going to (and nor do I) use it for serious work. I primarily use it to interface with the web, social networks, books, games (they reall are fun on a 7") and eventually controlling my TV and maybe other parts of my house. I don't like using my netbook for these things cause its always sleeping and takes 30 seconds to wake up, plus finding somewhere to set it down + opening the lid all are some level of effort (I know, don't filet me for being lazy, that's not what I am saying). A tablet, in my opinion, is something you just grab and use, almost like just grabbing a remote control.
The specific reasons are many:
1) It's not in the way. The size of it lends itself to just be set down somewhere and not feel like its taking up space which is nice for my tech-overloaded end-tables (touchstone chargers, wii-mote chargers, netbook, BT keyboard, BT mouse (for htpc), etc)
2) There is almost no weight to it, so just picking it up to look something up real quick is pleasant, like picking up a remote.
3) Perfect size for gaming. I love playing Angry Birds and other such games on it, just feels natural. Any bigger and I think it'd feel unwieldy
4) I can reach most of the screen while in portrait while still holding it with 2 hands, very handy when typing and swiping things.
5) keyboard is easy to get at in portrait with thumbs
6) Fits in the glove compartment, diaper bag, wife's purse and my back pocket.
7) My 2.5 yr old son can hold it.
8) Very comfortable for reading books
Beyond that, the battery life is very impressive with the nook color.
Of course, it has 2 major issues:
1) It runs android. Even rooted, the OS is just plain crap.
2) Slow! Slow Slow Slow Slow. It's usable, especially for reading books and playing games. But everything else from web rendering to using apps like lists is just laggy. So that tends to make me not use it as much as I like...I at times would rather just use my Pre.
So, that is my opinion. And while I am dying for a webOS tablet...I am going to wait for a 7" and hope like heck it has decent battery life and good specs (rear camera anyone).