View Poll Results: Which size tablet do you prefer to get your touch on?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10" (well 9.7")

73 65.77%
  • 7"

37 33.33%
  • other (specify)

1 0.90%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    I would not, because it won't fit into my jeans.

I think its wrong to assume 7" tablet is interchangeable with smartphone. All tablets are "accessory product" in terms that they are not necessary. I think 7" is more useful than 10" one for its portability, while still being more enjoyable in web surfing, pdf reading or office editing than a smartphone.
    Sorry to keep harping on this, but I'm just trying to understand. From what I'm understanding, you're carring a 7" tablet and a smartphone all the time anyway, wouldn't it just make sense to do away with the smartphone and just do everything with the tablet?

-Skippy
    We have 7", 8.9", 9.7", and 10.1".

Perhaps 8" is the sweet spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I know I'm in a minority but I'd only be interested in a 7" if it were also a phone.
    Guess it will be pricey. For some reason all manufacturers brutally charging phone/data/gsm module. But it does have sense. 7" tablet is manly an advanced messaging machine in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy07 View Post
    Sorry to keep harping on this, but I'm just trying to understand. From what I'm understanding, you're carring a 7" tablet and a smartphone all the time anyway, wouldn't it just make sense to do away with the smartphone and just do everything with the tablet?

-Skippy
    thats fine.

I do carry both galaxy tab and pre for most of the time. and galaxy tab does provide much better experience with prolonged web and office editing, faster email, etc.

I think it can 100% replace my smartphone if not for two considerations:

1. When I wear jeans and T-shirt, I cannot put it in my pocket.
    2. I still like to carry a webOS device. Thats whats left in me now as a palm fan, probably won't last too much longer without rejuvenation somehow.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    thats fine.

I do carry both galaxy tab and pre for most of the time. and galaxy tab does provide much better experience with prolonged web and office editing, faster email, etc.

I think it can 100% replace my smartphone if not for two considerations:

1. When I wear jeans and T-shirt, I cannot put it in my pocket.
    2. I still like to carry a webOS device. Thats whats left in me now as a palm fan, probably won't last too much longer without rejuvenation somehow.
    So, the key here is that, even though the majority of the time you carry the two devices, sometimes you only carry the smartphone and therefore you can't just go with the 7" tablet as your single device (putting aside #2).

I guess that's where we're different. Since I would never want to carry two devices the majority of the time and I find even a 4" slab phone to be too big to carry on a normal basis, I prefer to carry my Pre2 day to day, and the 9.7 inch Touchpad will be used primarily at home and taken with me on occasion.

It's actually nice that HP will be providing an option to appeal to each preference.

-Skippy
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy07 View Post
    the 9.7 inch Touchpad will be used primarily at home and taken with me on occasion.

-Skippy
    i agree, I always stated that Touchpad, and all other 10" pads, are mostly home-bound devices.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    fits in my purse = win
    7" for me
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    An 8.9" screen is absoulutey perfect IMO... Which is the size of the HP Slate I use...

Great in between size..
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    7'' is better in my opinion. 10'' is nice but not to carry around. I would however like to see 7'' in 1024x768. As much as I love the size of my PlayBook I find 1024x600 limiting. Those 168 extra pixels really matter.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    I'd take the TouchPad if I had the cash, but if the Opal is significantly cheaper (around $250-$300) I'll be the first in line.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I cancelled my TouchPad 10" pre-order when the 7" rumors started seeming more real. My wife has an iPad and it is too big to be portable. I bought an iPod Touch for myself and that was too small.

I'm also hoping that there will be a 7" unit with a GPS, front facing camera and a VGA out option. I guess we'll see.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by anifan View Post
    I'd take the TouchPad if I had the cash, but if the Opal is significantly cheaper (around $250-$300) I'll be the first in line.
    Opal probably won't be cheaper than Touchpad if it comes with radio.
    I'd be interested in a 7 inch. And yes, I would still carry it and a pre3 around, no I dont want a 7 inch phone.

Theres still quite a large jump from a 3.6 inch phone to a 7 inch tablet, they are still completely different devices and its a lot easier to read stuff on 7 inches than 4.
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    I cancelled my TouchPad 10" pre-order when the 7" rumors started seeming more real. My wife has an iPad and it is too big to be portable. I bought an iPod Touch for myself and that was too small.

I'm also hoping that there will be a 7" unit with a GPS, front facing camera and a VGA out option. I guess we'll see.
    +1. We have an iPad (3G version) at home & its mainly being used at home unless Mrs has presentation at work.

I think 7" is a sweet spot being useful and rather nice to use as browser & video player when I spend time in the train. If it has radio module build in like Samsung Galaxy Tab, it would be good as well.
    Global Posts
    833 Global Posts
    My main reason for 7" is indeed portability. If I'm in my house I'll just just my desktop or my laptop. My laptop is pretty light and thin, anywhere I could carry a 10" tablet I could carry that without too much more trouble, and it would be able to do a lot more.
    7" is the perfect size for an eReader, as the 9.7" size has proven a little large to use for reading, especially in bed. But since a majority of my reading is in PDF format, I like the 9.7 size, there would be too much zooming in and out on a 7" screen for multi-column PDFs, like magazines.

I do think the 7" size would give a HP an advantage against the iPad though. Right now, if you want certain highly developed apps in the 9.7" form factor, the iPad may be the way to go. But, if you want something different, more portable, and eReading is high on your priority list, the 7" Touchpad looks very appealing.

I can see my wife getting a 7" Touchpad.
    Palm Pilot Personal, Palm III, Palm V, Palm IIIc, Kyocera QCP-6035, Sony Clie N710C , Sony Clie N610, Palm Tungsten T3, Palm Treo 650, Palm Treo 680, Palm Treo 750, Centro (Wife's), iPhone, Blackjack, iPhone 3g, back to Blackjack, Centro (Mine), Palm PRE, iPhone 3g (again), iPhone 3gs (wife's), iPhone 4, iPad, iPad 2 (wife's), Pre Plus, HP TouchPad.

Yes, I have a problem...
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    Opal probably won't be cheaper than Touchpad if it comes with radio.
    Did I miss the rumor that the 7inch tab is only coming with 3G?

Couldn't imagine the thinking on bringing out a 7inch with radio before the 10inch with radio...
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    7" all the way for me.

I am having great difficulty seeing a need for a tablet at all unless it got to the point it could replace my laptop. That point is a very long way off yet but in the meantime a 7" tablet would be handy for ebooks, web browsing and video as it would be a lot more comfortable to hold and practical to have lurking in my breifcase. I certainly would not want it to replace my phone, I can't imagine using something that big to make calls and it would not be about my person at all times like my phone is but I can see a niche there nevertheless.

Once tablets can connect to USB devices, burn discs, compile software etc then I would want a bigger one to replace the laptop but until then a smaller one I can see a use for.
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    I always thought 7" was too small when I looked at Galaxy Tab1 and Nook Color in the stores. Then I bought the dang thing (Galaxy) and I have really come to like the size. I love being able to palm the sucker with one hand in portrait mode. And I like how portable a 7" tablet is.

For me, compactness and portability > greater screen real estate.
    I thought 7" would be too small too until my wife got a nook color. After a few days of it laying around the house and actually using it as a tablet I am now convinced that 7" is the way to go.

I listed a bunch of reasons below, but it all boils down to matching a specific usage pattern. I am not going to (and nor do I) use it for serious work. I primarily use it to interface with the web, social networks, books, games (they reall are fun on a 7") and eventually controlling my TV and maybe other parts of my house. I don't like using my netbook for these things cause its always sleeping and takes 30 seconds to wake up, plus finding somewhere to set it down + opening the lid all are some level of effort (I know, don't filet me for being lazy, that's not what I am saying). A tablet, in my opinion, is something you just grab and use, almost like just grabbing a remote control.

The specific reasons are many:

1) It's not in the way. The size of it lends itself to just be set down somewhere and not feel like its taking up space which is nice for my tech-overloaded end-tables (touchstone chargers, wii-mote chargers, netbook, BT keyboard, BT mouse (for htpc), etc)
    2) There is almost no weight to it, so just picking it up to look something up real quick is pleasant, like picking up a remote.
    3) Perfect size for gaming. I love playing Angry Birds and other such games on it, just feels natural. Any bigger and I think it'd feel unwieldy
    4) I can reach most of the screen while in portrait while still holding it with 2 hands, very handy when typing and swiping things.
    5) keyboard is easy to get at in portrait with thumbs
    6) Fits in the glove compartment, diaper bag, wife's purse and my back pocket.
    7) My 2.5 yr old son can hold it.
    8) Very comfortable for reading books

Beyond that, the battery life is very impressive with the nook color.

Of course, it has 2 major issues:
    1) It runs android. Even rooted, the OS is just plain crap.
    2) Slow! Slow Slow Slow Slow. It's usable, especially for reading books and playing games. But everything else from web rendering to using apps like lists is just laggy. So that tends to make me not use it as much as I like...I at times would rather just use my Pre.

So, that is my opinion. And while I am dying for a webOS tablet...I am going to wait for a 7" and hope like heck it has decent battery life and good specs (rear camera anyone).
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Did I miss the rumor that the 7inch tab is only coming with 3G?

Couldn't imagine the thinking on bringing out a 7inch with radio before the 10inch with radio...
    No, I was just speculating.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12