Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    I suspect a lot of users will still be on Pre-, Pre+ and Pixis. No indication that if you have a 1.x device that you will be able to activate both profiles at the same time.
    As the majority of users are on legacy devices, failure to anticipate this and allow simultaneous use would be a major faux pas that, while perhaps plausible under Palm is nearly unthinkable under HP.

This will be a mute point...
    The term is actually moot point, relating to a matter that has no actual bearing or effect on the current situation.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
    <<thread title edited for language>>
    I'm not sure if current apps on phone are transferable to another device or if you would have to pay additional monies. Saw something on thread for Communities app that talked about a sitewide license, pricing may be up to the individual developers.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-touchpad.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbz View Post
    Yikes, that's a good call-out about profiles.

So with having a Pre- and using the same profile on the TP, the apps on the Pre- would not receive any version updates. That's in addition to the inability to purchase apps on the Pre-.
    This is not completely true. If the application is getting updates compatible for 1.x then you can still update it. The app catalog doesn't lock your profile to a specific version, the app cat looks at what software version the device you are operating on (well it used too, currently it is now looking specifically at what device you are accessing the app cat from). So regardless of where your profile originated, accessing the app cat from the TP will give you access to the TP apps, if you are on a Veer/Pre2/Pre3 you can access 2.x apps, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    I'm not sure if current apps on phone are transferable to another device or if you would have to pay additional monies. Saw something on thread for Communities app that talked about a sitewide license, pricing may be up to the individual developers.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-touchpad.html
    This is because communities is a new app, and is being made in a touchpad version and cellphone version.

This will be true of all apps that have a TP version, the TP version will not go to your phone, but the phone version will run on the TP. For example Angry Birds, and Angry Birds HD. Your old version of Angry Birds will run on the TP, but your TP version will not run on phone.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    "moot" point
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    This is not completely true. If the application is getting updates compatible for 1.x then you can still update it. The app catalog doesn't lock your profile to a specific version, the app cat looks at what software version the device you are operating on (well it used too, currently it is now looking specifically at what device you are accessing the app cat from). So regardless of where your profile originated, accessing the app cat from the TP will give you access to the TP apps, if you are on a Veer/Pre2/Pre3 you can access 2.x apps, etc.

This is because communities is a new app, and is being made in a touchpad version and cellphone version.

This will be true of all apps that have a TP version, the TP version will not go to your phone, but the phone version will run on the TP. For example Angry Birds, and Angry Birds HD. Your old version of Angry Birds will run on the TP, but your TP version will not run on phone.
    Thanks,that makes sense because the TouchPad version requires the new programming in Enyo, right? So the developer did additional work and should get another payment.
    Yes and no, Enyo will be on phones one day too. For the most part it's additionl features for the TP that aren't in the phone version.

Then there have currently been some issues of old 1.x compatible apps being updated and removed for access from 1.x devices. I won't really get into that because there are multiple factors here that don't really get into the concept of TP specific apps vs. Enyo vs. WebOS 2.x

This is why people are going to have to make the jump to new hardware though. Developers have an issue of updating and programming for the future (with 2.x and enyo features regardless of TP specific features) when developers do this, they don't necessarily want to make users that have upgraded hardware pay again for a new app just to get 2.x features in an app that only has some tweaks for 2.x. When the app gets a 2.x update, this then removes it from the 1.x catalog.

Basically, as app devs update their apps with 2.x features, more and more people will be complaining around here about a certain developer "not caring about legacy users". People aren't getting that the dev at some point has to make that decision to stay relevant in the evolving ecosystem that is webos.

Hope that makes sense (we are just dealing with a few different scenarios currently). It's these factors that have me personally looking at paying the ETF (or trying to get ATT to) to jump to free Veers.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    The only issues I have had relating to my 1.4.5 Palm Profile since getting my TouchPad have been that it appears to have some outdated contact info. I say some because there are contacts that are very recent that are in the list, and there are ones that I changed prior to adding those that are not updated. I'm thinking this may have something to do with my synch with mutiple google accounts and the profile. Need to figure out which is out of date and overwriting the others.
    Beside that, I'm logged in to both my Pre- and my TouchPad with no adverse impact. My apps carried over fine (there may be some missing, but since I can't tell they must not be important LOL) and I was delited at the speed and ease with which I could setup the new device using my Palm Profile.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that it is long past time for the legacy users to get an update. . .in HARDWARE . . . from their carriers. But as has been stated, let's not start another F! Sprint thread. I'm a legacy user, and I say we're using outdated software and hardware and need to get with the program(mers), not the other way around (but maybe I'm biased since I'm a software engineer).
    Quote Originally Posted by SunnyPhono View Post
    ...I'm thinking this may have something to do with my synch with mutiple google accounts and the profile. Need to figure out which is out of date and overwriting the others...
    From my understanding, the Pre/TouchPad profiles do not "sync" or merge so to speak. A copy of your Pre profile is being made and applied to the TouchPad ONCE. After that, the two devices are entirely separate and they do not communicate profile information with one another.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SunnyPhono View Post
    The only issues I have had relating to my 1.4.5 Palm Profile since getting my TouchPad have been that it appears to have some outdated contact info. I say some because there are contacts that are very recent that are in the list, and there are ones that I changed prior to adding those that are not updated. I'm thinking this may have something to do with my synch with mutiple google accounts and the profile. Need to figure out which is out of date and overwriting the others.
    Beside that, I'm logged in to both my Pre- and my TouchPad with no adverse impact. My apps carried over fine (there may be some missing, but since I can't tell they must not be important LOL) and I was delited at the speed and ease with which I could setup the new device using my Palm Profile.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that it is long past time for the legacy users to get an update. . .in HARDWARE . . . from their carriers. But as has been stated, let's not start another F! Sprint thread. I'm a legacy user, and I say we're using outdated software and hardware and need to get with the program(mers), not the other way around (but maybe I'm biased since I'm a software engineer).
    This is GREAT news. Can others confirm? I am in Canada and still rocking a Pre- waiting for news on whether Bell Mobility will be getting the Pre3 or whether I need to buy an unlocked phone to use on my Bell Mobility account.

BUT, I certainly will not have a Pre3 by July 15 when I intend to purchase the TouchPad. So please, those of you who have a Pre- on 1.4.5 chime in on whether you have experienced any problems using the same Palm Profile with the TouchPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    This is GREAT news. Can others confirm? I am in Canada and still rocking a Pre- waiting for news on whether Bell Mobility will be getting the Pre3 or whether I need to buy an unlocked phone to use on my Bell Mobility account.

BUT, I certainly will not have a Pre3 by July 15 when I intend to purchase the TouchPad. So please, those of you who have a Pre- on 1.4.5 chime in on whether you have experienced any problems using the same Palm Profile with the TouchPad.
    I am on Pre- on Sprint on 1.4.5 and bought a Touchpad on July 1st. I logged into the touchpad with my existing Palm Profile and it worked. The Touchpad proceeded to download the app catalog apps I purchased (not homebrew). This is a one-time download as others have mentioned. A few apps didn't download, but I attribute that to OS incompatibilities. Of the ones that didn't download, nothing that I would miss.

The Pre- and the Touchpad profile are not "synced", which means if you buy an app on the Touchpad, it doesn't automatically appear on the phone (or vice-versa - if you buy it on the phone, it doesn't automatically appear on the Touchpad).

Bottom line - no real issue of logging into a Touchpad with a profile from a Pre- 1.4.5.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericblackdv View Post
    ... bottom line - no real issue of logging into a Touchpad with a profile from a Pre- 1.4.5.
    All this space and worry over a non-issue. Been a lot of that lately.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12