Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    HP: TouchPad's WebOS Threatens Android, Apple iOS | Fast Company

This really doesn't add a whole lot that we haven't read elswhere, but some of the more salient points of the TouchPad are more concisely covered. Most of the information is coming from Richard Kerris, VP of worldwide developer relations for WebOS.

I especially liked this quote from him:
    "Look, three years ago, there were no apps on any of the platforms. Developers can now come up with an idea and implement it in a matter of months," he continues. "There's hundreds of thousands of apps on the iPad platform. That's great--a good percentage of those guys are going to want to come over to the HP platform. Why wouldn't they? We're HP. We're going to ship a lot of units--that's inevitable. We're an easy investment. Most of the developers that are on the iOS platform can have their apps up and running here in a matter of days."
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    HP: TouchPad's WebOS Threatens Android, Apple iOS | Fast Company

This really doesn't add a whole lot that we haven't read elswhere, but some of the more salient points of the TouchPad are more concisely covered. Most of the information is coming from Richard Kerris, VP of worldwide developer relations for WebOS.

100% agree, I'm guessing ios is becoming so crowded, and so many similar apps, developers are going to want to come to a less crowded market, and just port over existing apps. Kerris is right in that HP is ginormous, and has the reach to expand webOS, and these developers will see that. I really have no doubt, that HP will do whatever it takes to get developers going with webOS.
    Last edited by jbg7474; 06/27/2011 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Fixed quote
    Shipping alot of units isn't really a priory for devs when they look at how many of those shipped units are sold. Look at the Playbook and xoom they shipped alot of units but thier markets were <<mod delete>> poor. The android Market tablet development didn't start accelerating until the acer and assus tablets came in and sold a good amount of units. The Playbook on the other hand even if starts to sell a decent amount will still be screwed just because there is no NDK and rim is going to try to cushin the blow with android apps.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 06/27/2011 at 12:05 PM. Reason: language
    why would app developers come to us? because we are HP. We're going to ship a lot of units--that's inevitable.

I have just one thing to ask: how many is "alot", Mr. Kerris?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    why would app developers come to us? because we are HP. We're going to ship a lot of units--that's inevitable.

How many does it need to be? Seriously, what number do you predict must be shipped (or even sold) before it is enough that developers will be interested.

Seriously, instead of just throwing out a meaningless post that you know won't be answered (Mr. Kerris probably isn't following this thread closely, and if he is, it appears he's doing so quietly), how about offering something to the conversation instead of negativity?
    How many does it need to be? Seriously, what number do you predict must be shipped (or even sold) before it is enough that developers will be interested.

Seriously, instead of just throwing out a meaningless post that you know won't be answered (Mr. Kerris probably isn't following this thread closely, and if he is, it appears he's doing so quietly), how about offering something to the conversation instead of negativity?
    I think it needs 3 million sales in 6 months to attract developers. Is that useful enough for you?

instead of throwing out meaningless article filled with meaningless happy talk, how many do you think need to be sold to attract developers?
    Did you guys see the bottom bar in the screen shot?? It has a weird app launcher icon and also a search button??
  8.    #8  
    I think it needs 3 million sales in 6 months to attract developers. Is that useful enough for you?

instead of throwing out meaningless article filled with meaningless happy talk, how many do you think need to be sold to attract developers?
    None. 0. Nada.

They haven't sold any yet, and developers have already been attracted.
    Quote Originally Posted by noelb View Post
    Did you guys see the bottom bar in the screen shot?? It has a weird app launcher icon and also a search button??
    i think its a classic case of photoshop fail.
    None. 0. Nada.

They haven't sold any yet, and developers have already been attracted.
    lol, quote for unbound happiness. Yeah right. Good business!

You actually expect people to take your idea seriously? how about make some serious argument first.

Well you'll have 2-3 phones, 2 Tablets, countless millions of PC's, and millions of printers. I think it safe to say at least 30 million devices could be out there with webos by next summer if they stay on their timeline. That is a big IF. I think that will get some dev attention.

Its a valid statement. Maybe smaller devs from other platforms are going to come in and we will get to the point when ios,webos, and android apps are worked on and released simultaneously but bigger devs need to see the install base before working on a app.

(still baffles me their is no official twitter app for webos)

On a more positive note 500 new apps isn't anything to sneeze at. Hopefully this infusion has a positive showing at stores.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by noelb View Post
    Not sure what you're seeing, but I believe the magnifying glass launches Just Type, and the up arrow launches the App Launcher.
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    "There's hundreds of thousands of apps on the iPad platform. That's great--a good percentage of those guys are going to want to come over to the HP platform. Why wouldn't they? We're HP."

That quote (and the rest of that paragraph) scares me. If that arrogance is HP's answer to delivering quality apps, it simply confirms my fears. HP needs to set aside their ego and reach out to developers and find ways to encourage them to develop apps. I raised this concern a couple months ago.

This is a lazy approach that won't be nearly as successful as they hope.

I agree with clevin. It's not negativity, it's being realistic.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    War Eagle!
  15.    #15  
    lol, quote for unbound happiness. Yeah right. Good business!

You actually expect people to take your idea seriously? how about make some serious argument first.
    Of course they should take it seriously. It's simply fact. I know, I know, not nearly negative enough to suit you, but my point is valid. Developers are already writing for the device, and none have sold yet.

You asked, I answered. Sorry the answer isn't to your usual "bad HP" standards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    Well you'll have 2-3 phones, 2 Tablets, countless millions of PC's, and millions of printers. I think it safe to say at least 30 million devices could be out there with webos by next summer if they stay on their timeline. That is a big IF. I think that will get some dev attention.
    Thats a good point, HP does have more product to leverage, not touchpad alone.

But I don't know how many app developers will be interested in printers and webOS in windows 7/8, etc.
    Of course they should take it seriously. It's simply fact. I know, I know, not nearly negative enough to suit you, but my point is valid. Developers are already writing for the device, and none have sold yet.

You asked, I answered. Sorry the answer isn't to your usual "bad HP" standards.
    right, your answers is like always, certified meaningless. Like 100+ paid app developers is what Kerris was actually referring to. sure, sure, stay happy.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbz View Post
    "There's hundreds of thousands of apps on the iPad platform. That's great--a good percentage of those guys are going to want to come over to the HP platform. Why wouldn't they? We're HP."

That quote (and the rest of that paragraph) scares me. If that arrogance is HP's answer to delivering quality apps, it simply confirms my fears. HP needs to set aside their ego and reach out to developers and find ways to encourage them to develop apps. I raised this concern a couple months ago.

This is a lazy approach that won't be nearly as successful as they hope.

I agree with clevin. It's not negativity, it's being realistic.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I would agree with you, if that was all they are relying on. It's not. It's merely one part of the interview. His point was that they are going to be shipping "lots" of TouchPads. It's HP, they are going to sell the device. The article wasn't really about dev support, but dev support is being provided by HP (might be part of the reason they'll have 300+ apps written specifically for the TouchPad at launch).
  18.    #18  
    ...right, your answers is like always, certified meaningless. Like 100+ paid app developers is what Kerris was actually referring to. sure, sure, stay happy.
    Well, I don't think you're correct with your "like always", I suspect I've had a few meaningful posts on here.

It wasn't meant to have a lot of depth and meaning, though I did point out that it clearly indicates that there is interest even before any units have sold.

That said, what meaning did your question to Mr Harris have? Other than spreading more of your anti-HP tripe?

It wasn't meant to have a lot of depth and meaning, though I did point out that it clearly indicates that there is interest even before any units have sold.
    the meaningless attack aside (ie., not quoted).

what clearly indicated interest even before unit was sold? the 300+ apps? And you know HP didn't pay those people to write those?

Actually, I think HP probably paid them.

Lets be honest here, the argument that a tablet need no sales to attract developers, is plain stupid.
  20.    #20  
    the meaningless attack aside (ie., not quoted).

what clearly indicated interest even before unit was sold? the 300+ apps? And you know HP didn't pay those people to write those?

Actually, I think HP probably paid them.
    Some they probably did; some, I know for a fact, they did not.

Lets be honest here, the argument that a tablet need no sales to attract developers, is plain stupid.
    Actually, it is not. Maybe the way you are intepreting the statement makes it sound stupid, but the statement itself is not.

The TouchPad has not sold a single unit so far, and has attracted developers. That's a fact.

Why have they attracted developers without selling any? Because those developers anticipate that HP will sell TouchPads.

That was the point of Harris' statement. The fact that it is HP producing the device will reassure (some) developers that it will be marketed.

I'd also have to say, the notion that it will have to sell at least 3 million units in 6 months to attract developers is far less valid than my statement. It's silly to think that no developers are going to be attracted to the platform for at least six months (which would have to be the case for your supposition to ring true).
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast