Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 48
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Thats a good point, HP does have more product to leverage, not touchpad alone.

    But I don't know how many app developers will be interested in printers and webOS in windows 7/8, etc.
    True but I think it might bring a noticeable amount of interest because only 2 platforms out there offer the ability to have your apps run on more than 2 types of devices and those platforms are iOS and webOS. Now Microsoft is the other possible player here but we don't know fully how they will merge future versions of their mobile and PC platforms. They also don't produce their own hardware like HP and Apple.
  2.    #22  
    I didn't realize this was already posted - http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...t-company.html mods, can we merge?
  3. #23  
    How does webos in printers really help the playbook get marketshare? I can see it working with touch to share but thats about it.
  4. #24  
    a great article - so in essence it could end up as a two horse race with Apple having a considerable lead at the beginning. The suggestion being that the Android ecosystem has become a bit of a mess and RIM are ploughing a lonely furrow on their own.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by shingi_70 View Post
    How does webos in printers really help the playbook get marketshare? I can see it working with touch to share but thats about it.
    It doesn't. HP really doesn't care about trying to get playbook market share.

    But seriously, to your point, I really don't think having WebOS on the printers is what will sell more TouchPads. I suspect HP will put WebOS on printers because the newer printers with software menus need an OS, and HP owns WebOS.

    The real selling point with the TouchPad and printers is ease of use in connecting the two. I've heard (though I have no first hand experience) that it's a bit of a pain setting up other tablets to print. The TouchPad is supposed to be pretty effortless.

    One thing I think will add to the usefulness of having WebOS on the printers is feed back from the printer to the device. I suspect that level of integration is going to allow you to get messages on the TouchPad similar to what you currently get on a PC - ink is low, paper is jammed, etc.

    Will that sell more TouchPads? Probably not a lot more, but every little bit that adds to the "experience" helps.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by shingi_70 View Post
    How does webos in printers really help the playbook get marketshare? I can see it working with touch to share but thats about it.
    I assume you meant Touchpad. Well that depend on how HP implements the webOS UI on printers and how this can foster creativity in developers. We don't know for sure but there are some interesting possibilites.
  7. Hobbz's Avatar
    Posts
    273 Posts
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I would agree with you, if that was all they are relying on. It's not. It's merely one part of the interview. His point was that they are going to be shipping "lots" of TouchPads. It's HP, they are going to sell the device. The article wasn't really about dev support, but dev support is being provided by HP (might be part of the reason they'll have 300+ apps written specifically for the TouchPad at launch).

    Sooooo, it sounds like their approach is, 'build it and they will come'. Again, that's the arrogance talking to justify a lazy approach I already mentioned.

    Dev support and encouraging developers to create quality apps are two distinctly different things. Support is assisting what you have. My point is that HP hasn't given the outward appearance they are dedicating the resources necessary to attract developers.

    I don't care about magazine subscriptions or the other flashy things. What will impress me (and others) is to see a number of diverse, quality apps.


    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    War Eagle!
  8. #28  
    Let's remember to keep the discussion civil and focused on the technology, not on the quality of other member's points.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  9. mike5's Avatar
    Posts
    762 Posts
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    why would app developers come to us? because we are HP. We're going to ship a lot of units--that's inevitable.

    I have just one thing to ask: how many is "alot", Mr. Kerris?
    2 notebooks per minute. Is that "a lot?" If not enough, add the phones, the tablets and the printers. Toasters, if you need it. 2 notebooks/minute--I consider that "a lot."
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbz View Post
    Sooooo, it sounds like their approach is, 'build it and they will come'. Again, that's the arrogance talking to justify a lazy approach I already mentioned.
    I suppose if that's what you got out of that article, and all of the other comments by him, then there's not much point in further discussion with you about it.

    However, the facts don't support that.

    HP has most definitely given support to developers that are developing apps. That's not talked about in this article because that's not what this article was about.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I suppose if that's what you got out of that article, and all of the other comments by him, then there's not much point in further discussion with you about it.

    However, the facts don't support that.

    HP has most definitely given support to developers that are developing apps. That's not talked about in this article because that's not what this article was about.
    Correct. There have been plenty of articles on the support that HP is giving to devs. This article wasn't about that. But hey, lets not let facts from previous stories get in the way.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Correct. There have been plenty of articles on the support that HP is giving to devs. This article wasn't about that. But hey, lets not let facts from previous stories get in the way.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Including sending server(s) and TouchPads to webOS Internalz...

    ..and making the SDK available before launch (thank goodness).

    Suffice it to say, HP isnt being lazy. They may not be working as hard as you perceive that they should, but to say that they are lazy is subjective to your expectations. (not yours, playboy...just adding to the conversation as a whole)
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
  13. #33  
    It's not about attracting interest; the key is to keep that interest. Gameloft and EA Mobile, for example, were attracted to webOS when the PDK was first announced but quickly abandoned their efforts -- and all they had to do was port existing assets.
  14. ijip's Avatar
    Posts
    885 Posts
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    why would app developers come to us? because we are HP. We're going to ship a lot of units--that's inevitable.

    I have just one thing to ask: how many is "alot", Mr. Kerris?
    hundreds of millions a year.....
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
  15. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    why would app developers come to us? because we are HP. We're going to ship a lot of units--that's inevitable.

    I have just one thing to ask: how many is "alot", Mr. Kerris?
    You will have the answer in six months.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    2 notebooks/minute--I consider that "a lot."
    are we talking about notebook now? which one?
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    are we talking about notebook now? which one?

    An indication of HP's size as the fact that they dispatch 2 notebooks a second, globally. To some those kind of numbers might sound like fairy tale material. However when you work with their clients - say a global bank then they undertake massive 'hardware rollouts' and literally thousands of pre-built/customer specific machines are despatched for installation out-of-hours..... its what the big boys do.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmicblue View Post
    An indication of HP's size as the fact that they dispatch 2 notebooks a second, globally. To some those kind of numbers might sound like fairy tale material. However when you work with their clients - say a global bank then they undertake massive 'hardware rollouts' and literally thousands of pre-built/customer specific machines are despatched for installation out-of-hours..... its what the big boys do.
    per minutes? or per second?

    per minutes, its 1 million a year, hardly impressive
    per second, its 60 million a year, which is not a bad number.

    and extrapolation of HP pc sales to tablet is just wishful thinking, its not the same market. Global windows PC sales is 90%, its tablet % is near bottom. There is no relationship there.
  19. #39  
    That's one of the reasons they're going to include webOS with their PCs to help get more developers into creating webOS apps and negate the "iOS & Android have X thousands more apps" bullet points that people like to mention as a reason for not choosing a webOS device.
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    per minutes? or per second?

    per minutes, its 1 million a year, hardly impressive
    per second, its 60 million a year, which is not a bad number.

    and extrapolation of HP pc sales to tablet is just wishful thinking, its not the same market. Global windows PC sales is 90%, its tablet % is near bottom. There is no relationship there.
    Absolutely incorrect. Anyone that says "there's no relationship there" doesn't understand marketing basics. No, there's not a 1 to 1 relationship there, but the fact that HP sells lots of PCs not only will affect their ability to sell the TouchPad, it will also affect the confidence developers have in the ability to sell.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions