Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32
  1.    #1  
    I have a gaming desktop and a laptop at home, I am trying to justify the purchase of the Touchpad. I would want it to replace my laptop for what I use it for. The important thing I would be looking for is document editing and streaming music and movies from the device. I am wondering if anyone here has bought a tablet to replace their laptop for them?
    Sent from my Verizon Pre2
  2. #2  
    I will let you know how that goes in about a week or so...

    I am going to use the TouchPad to replace 90% of what I use my laptop for. If Flash works as well as it does on the Galaxy 10.1, then I can see myself using it as I intended. But I couldnt imagine getting rid of my laptop totally...I still need photoshop and illustrator, misc computing power that the TouchPad may not provide (maybe webOS Internalz will eliminate a lot of barriers). So I doubt that I would replace my GAMING laptop with a TouchPad, as much as it would compliment it.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by pow12390 View Post
    I have a gaming desktop and a laptop at home, I am trying to justify the purchase of the Touchpad. I would want it to replace my laptop for what I use it for. The important thing I would be looking for is document editing and streaming music and movies from the device. I am wondering if anyone here has bought a tablet to replace their laptop for them?
    I have both ipad1 and Asus transformer and for the most part a tablet can replace your laptop depending on your usage. The reason is quite simple, the design of a tablet facilitates consumption and not productivity.

    I use mine for web browsing (flipboard/zite/your version/browsers) , listening to music (pandora/grooveshark, amazon cloud etc.), email, document (pdf mostly) reading (although iPad 1 has very low memory so not many large pdfs are able to be loaded (good reader/quickoffice/polaris office/docs to go) and playing games. I have also watched movies and tv shows, using netflix on my ipad1 and a streaming app on my Transformer. For the most part playon works well too (does require a PC to be turned on and streaming).

    Any heavy duty research work, report writing (project reports), longer emails etc. need to be done on my main laptop. The tablets just give me better battery life and easier handling (size, weight, late night in bed use ).
  4. Hobbz's Avatar
    Posts
    273 Posts
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    #4  
    I'm also thinking a tablet will take over around 80-90% of my current use on a laptop.

    Things a tablet won't do for me is: photoshop, website maintenance, big emails and maintain my ipod (will never get an ipad). Oh yeah, docs and spreadsheets too.

    I can't see a tablet completely replacing laptops in their current state. It'll be interesting to see how often my laptop will remain shut off though.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    War Eagle!
  5. #5  
    I will answer this the same way I've answered the past dozen or so questions like this that get posted.

    If you aren't ok with viewing a tablet as mostly a luxury toy that doesn't fully replace any laptop very well, then don't try justifying the purchase.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by pow12390 View Post
    I have a gaming desktop and a laptop at home, I am trying to justify the purchase of the Touchpad. I would want it to replace my laptop for what I use it for. The important thing I would be looking for is document editing and streaming music and movies from the device. I am wondering if anyone here has bought a tablet to replace their laptop for them?
    i suggest you wait. Touchpad probably doesn't do what you want, at least for now.

    If there are important functions, you want to make sure they works on touchpad before you buy it.

    I have a galaxy tab, I would say it can indeed replace many functions of my laptop, mainly because of the Doc to go, firefox/opera/teamviewer, bt, and turnin radio.

    But its not 100%, serious MS Office editing, input heavy works, and some other works (more professional stuff) still need laptop.
  7. Mercule's Avatar
    Posts
    105 Posts
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    #7  
    I'm torn on replacing my laptop. I give occasional talks at local development gatherings, so I like having Visual Studio on my laptop. On the other hand, it's only occasional, and my current laptop is doing the trick, currently.

    The other big use I have for a laptop is financial stuff, but an RDP client that would let me hit the desktop with Quicken would cover a lot of my needs. Throw in Quick Office with editing enabled (hah!) for Excel spreadsheets would get me the rest of the way. I wonder how the Touchpad will work with Excel on SkyDrive.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercule View Post
    I'm torn on replacing my laptop. I give occasional talks at local development gatherings, so I like having Visual Studio on my laptop. On the other hand, it's only occasional, and my current laptop is doing the trick, currently.

    The other big use I have for a laptop is financial stuff, but an RDP client that would let me hit the desktop with Quicken would cover a lot of my needs. Throw in Quick Office with editing enabled (hah!) for Excel spreadsheets would get me the rest of the way. I wonder how the Touchpad will work with Excel on SkyDrive.
    Quickoffice editing will come a few months after, I suppose in the meantime google docs will do.
    Sent from my Verizon Pre2
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by pow12390 View Post
    Quickoffice editing will come a few months after, I suppose in the meantime google docs will do.
    I don't think you know that, we are all guessing, and what if it takes longer? HP has been very careful not to say "when", and we should assume the negative until we see it working.

    But again, if google doc can meet your need, then its a moot issue.
  10. Mercule's Avatar
    Posts
    105 Posts
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by pow12390 View Post
    Quickoffice editing will come a few months after, I suppose in the meantime google docs will do.
    Not a Google Docs fan. I'd settle for either RDP or QuickOffice editing. I've got to have one or the other, though. Working flawlessly with MS Office Web on SkyDrive might work, too, but that one's dicier to confirm than the others.

    It looks like the Citrix integration is for hosted apps, not RDP. Anyone have info to the contrary or know whether there will be an RDP (official or not) available for the TouchPad?
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    I will let you know how that goes in about a week or so...

    I am going to use the TouchPad to replace 90% of what I use my laptop for. If Flash works as well as it does on the Galaxy 10.1, then I can see myself using it as I intended. But I couldnt imagine getting rid of my laptop totally...I still need photoshop and illustrator, misc computing power that the TouchPad may not provide (maybe webOS Internalz will eliminate a lot of barriers). So I doubt that I would replace my GAMING laptop with a TouchPad, as much as it would compliment it.
    That is precisely what I hope for with the TouchPad. I have a netbook, but I am pretty sure it will be stripped down of all of its bells and whistles, and only used for photo storage while I am out shooting. Other than that, the TouchPad will take care of all of my other computer needs (plus, it will look cool while doing so).
  12.    #12  
    I will probably go into a store this weekend and check one out. Preferably Sams club as they have it advertised cheaper then any of the other stores.
    Sent from my Verizon Pre2
  13. #13  
    This seems kindof dumb, but I am just excited to be able to type away from my TouchPad, via bluetooth keyboard. It will make it really pleasant to be able to sit on the couch, brainstorming/writing, and have my keyboard on my lap, with my TouchPad on the table. I don't like to write on my netbook, because it gets too damn hot, and where it is comfortable to write from is not comfortable to see the screen from. Just...thought...I'd say that...
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWLandfair View Post
    This seems kindof dumb, but I am just excited to be able to type away from my TouchPad, via bluetooth keyboard. It will make it really pleasant to be able to sit on the couch, brainstorming/writing, and have my keyboard on my lap, with my TouchPad on the table. I don't like to write on my netbook, because it gets too damn hot, and where it is comfortable to write from is not comfortable to see the screen from. Just...thought...I'd say that...
    The Bluetooth keyboard will definitely be a must for typing up spreadsheets and documents. I can see it be very helpful once I go back for my Masters. Touchstone also a must.
    Sent from my Verizon Pre2
  15. #15  
    I can't speak for everyone but the HP Touchpad will replace about 75% of the things I use on the laptop.

    I will browse the internet a lot, play music, play games, edit/read Word Doc, and camera/video chat.

    What it can't replace is my photoshop, HTML, things of that nature.
  16. #16  
    Already played with the touchpad at Walmart and tested out some main sites I use, Grooveshark and Google Music. They work great, even when you have the web browser in the background, the music will keep on streaming
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    Already played with the touchpad at Walmart and tested out some main sites I use, Grooveshark and Google Music. They work great, even when you have the web browser in the background, the music will keep on streaming
    How was the sound quality, I know that they said it would sound better with Beat's headphones.
    Sent from my Verizon Pre2
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWLandfair View Post
    This seems kindof dumb, but I am just excited to be able to type away from my TouchPad, via bluetooth keyboard. It will make it really pleasant to be able to sit on the couch, brainstorming/writing, and have my keyboard on my lap, with my TouchPad on the table. I don't like to write on my netbook, because it gets too damn hot, and where it is comfortable to write from is not comfortable to see the screen from. Just...thought...I'd say that...
    You may find that you use (or want to use) a mouse a lot more than you think.

    The BT keyboard gets to be a bit of a hassle when you have to constantly touch the screen to reposition the cursor. Unless you are an avid arrow-key user.

    -Suntan
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    Already played with the touchpad at Walmart and tested out some main sites I use, Grooveshark and Google Music. They work great, even when you have the web browser in the background, the music will keep on streaming
    So I am guessing Grooveshark didn't view it as a mobile device? That right there would be awesome news, especially when the 7inch tablet comes out.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  20. #20  
    I wrote on this forum some months back that my Pre replaced about 30-35% of the web browsing that I normally do on my home PC (a laptop). I suspect that TouchPad is going to bring that closer to 90%. Most of the non-web browsing stuff I do can also be done on the TouchPad. So, I suspect at home (work is another matter completely), I figure the laptop will get used a very tiny fraction of what it is now, and will be just about completely replaced by the TouchPad; only to be used when there's something that must be done on a computer.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions