Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    With all the rumors or things just floating around saying that the touchpad is heavy and bulky will that play a major factor in your decision of getting a touchpad?

It may be a bit bulkier but I can live with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kyleoXD View Post
    With all the rumors or things just floating around saying that the touchpad is heavy and bulky will that play a major factor in your decision of getting a touchpad?

Bizarre to me that everyone lived well with the iPod1 until a few months ago, I did not hear the hoards saying it was too heavy nor throngs of people visiting physical therapists for arm strain.

The TouchPad's success will be determined by many factors of functionality and fun, the extra 5 oz of weight will play little into this (until a few years down the road when those flexible displays come around and the next generation will all be laughing at the big and heavy devices we used to carry)
    ^^^ i was just about to say this... no one had a problem with ipad1 weight... I understand that the standards change rapidly in this game, but its crazy to think that what was a few months ago considered an amazing design is now considered bulky and heavy. are people getting weaker?
    Hahaha. They are probably getting weaker. Because now they don't have to leave their houses to do anything...silly technology.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Touchpad is the same weight as Xoom and I felt Xoom's too heavy in my hands. Would like to see TP lose .3-.5 oz and shave a 1/3 of its depth in TP2.
    Quote Originally Posted by kyleoXD View Post

who said it was heavy or bulky? Its slightly smaller and lighter than the original iPad, based on the published specs. Or am i missing something?

i want a touchpad in a size more like the galaxy or playbook, but the touchpad doesnt sound too bulky, any more than the ipad did when they sold zillions of them.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 06/26/2011 at 11:37 PM. Reason: fixed typo
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    ^^^ i was just about to say this... no one had a problem with ipad1 weight... I understand that the standards change rapidly in this game, but its crazy to think that what was a few months ago considered an amazing design is now considered bulky and heavy. are people getting weaker?
    i have an apple sticker and i will put it over the HP logo. It will imstantly be the perfect size and weight...
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    To me the ipad2 feels too light. From a design standpoint its pretty cool but as a practical matter i feel like I would break the thing in the smallest accidental drop. If I'm paying this much for a device I want it to feel like it will take some abuse. Any tablet that is properly built should be solidly designed, they are intended to be used in a moving environment where accidents will happen. Sure the ipad2 is lighter but it feels like I could ruin one pretty quickly through a moments carelessness.

At the end of the day I think the weight comparison is a little silly. The Touchpad is plenty light for its intended use.
    Honestly - I wouldn't mind it gaining a bit of weight if it also meant adding a great deal of battery life to it.

Battery life >>>>>> Weight.

Add .5 oz = 5 more hours of battery life? Yes please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    i have an apple sticker and i will put it over the HP logo. It will imstantly be the perfect size and weight...
    And just for kicks, call it the iPad 3 prototype. People will instantly swoon over it. Then yank the carpet under and tell 'em what it really is..
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    Touchpad is the same weight as Xoom and I felt Xoom's too heavy in my hands. Would like to see TP lose .3-.5 oz and shave a 1/3 of its depth in TP2.
    If you did that, you would probably have to say bye bye to it's stereo speakers. Speakers carry weight, and the Touchpad uses Beats Audio, so speakers will undoubtedly carry extra weight.
    Yes, the Touchpad feels akin to the Xoom weight-wise. However, its more square-like dimensions make it a little easier to use in landscape mode. But it still feels like a doorstop.
    I think we need some perspective

the weight, in reality is negligable. If reviewrs find it heavy it is due to motor memory from the ipad2 they use.

from the chart here on P|C the touchpad is 0.23 lb heavier than the ipad or about 122 grams.

that's nothing for your muscles, compared to the weight of supporting your arm.

The actual difference in weight would be less than that of wearing a good sized fancy watch, like a rolex.

How much does your Rolex weigh? - Page 2 - Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum

what is inevitable about that weight difference is how the sensitivity of our hands are to subtle changes in the weight of a familiar object, will be played out in reviews as an actual issue.

perhaps reviewers should just take there watches off
    Not concerned about weight at all.

The majority of the time I will use it will be on my lap or on a desk resting on it's folding case, or on it's touchstone.

I really don't anticipate using it while standing or holding it for long periods of time, nor do I see anyone with any other tablet holding them for long periods of time.

The weight watchers are silly gooses.
    Quote Originally Posted by lakerguy View Post
    Yes, the Touchpad feels akin to the Xoom weight-wise. However, its more square-like dimensions make it a little easier to use in landscape mode. But it still feels like a doorstop.
    I'm going to refer to the previous comments, are you a new sub-species of human where you have no natural muscle in your arms?
    When we have something featherlight like kindle and the new nook (b&w), then it's truly comfortable. When color tablets get to that weight, we're really in a matured, golden age of tablets. Hope to get there soon. Right now, 1.5lbs is just too heavy for me.
    What is the problem with the weight?! The touchpad only weighs 1 pound!! How weak are people that 1 pound is too heavy???! The ipad is about the same weight and now that the ipad2 is out and thinner. The TouchPad has to be thinner.No thank you,I don't want to hold a tablet and not know I'am holding it.I think it's fine,I mean give them a chance.It's not like the phone situation where they had chances.This is their first go around with HP! I wish people would stop complaining about it being to heavy and never held it for a day to see if they would get use to it.How about the complainers keep silent until they hold it.
    Being encumbered by the anti theft device I could only get a relative feel to the others, but IMO the touchpad was not 'too heavy' I got a different tablet after trying it that is actually a little heavier, but feels more sturdy.

It is a bit in the ratios, and the hand feel of it, in addition to the perceived quality feel of plastic vs metal, that is where I think the heft of the TouchPad vs the others being metal can be a negative.
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
    I don't mind TP size, design and weight at all, but it will play significant role in TP's sales. If nothing else, size/weight maybe will not be main reason for not buying Touchpad, but potentially it will be just another reason not to buy TouchPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by prethadd81 View Post
    What is the problem with the weight?! The touchpad only weighs 1 pound!! How weak are people that 1 pound is too heavy???!
    Its not 1 pound, did you read the spec sheet?

Anyway, i don't think it matters as long as the difference is small. For those who cares, they can handle all the tablets in the store and find another lighter one, if so desired.

Ps. Why compare to iPad1? Touchpad is not competing with iPad1, it means zero for buyers.
    ---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast