Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 88
  1. #41  
    interesting how times change. When the IPad first came out people complained about its weight and also felt it was not needed (i.e., not good for production, typing, etc).

    now the TouchPad is about to come out and all those concerns have been erased: Touchpad is not heavy and has very useful functionality compared to netbooks/notebooks.


    Hopefully people will now give Kudos to Apple for blazing the trial and creating sufficient awareness and appreciation of the tablet market - even if you detest the company and/iPad.
  2. ryandye's Avatar
    Posts
    16 Posts
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Actually I don't think it's the weight. It's the plastic vs. aluminum and size.
    I agree completely. I'm an avid webOS fan (2 Pre's and Pixi in the house) and also have a 1st gen iPad that I use daily. My local Walmart had a demo TP on display and I was not overly impressed with the plastic case and overall size & feel compared to the iPad 2 - it just felt "chunkier" in my hands. Factor in the the dearth of apps compared to iPad and Android tabs and I'm extremely worried HP doesn't have a home-run with the TP.

    I don't agree, however, with the comments about the TP being a 2010 spec device. It's processing power is on-par or better than competitors, but I'm not sure that tech-specs register much with the average consumer.
  3. Hobbz's Avatar
    Posts
    273 Posts
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryandye View Post
    Factor in the the dearth of apps compared to iPad and Android tabs and I'm extremely worried HP doesn't have a home-run with the TP.

    I don't agree, however, with the comments about the TP being a 2010 spec device. It's processing power is on-par or better than competitors, but I'm not sure that tech-specs register much with the average consumer.

    +1 on both counts





    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    War Eagle!
  4.    #44  
    I have to say I don't care about the weight. Still MUCH lighter then your netbook or notebook. I don't know why people have to keep comparing everything to the IPAD.

    I can't wait to see what type of apps HP develops.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    That's not true - On every good remark about TouchPad's shortcomings there is one overenthusiastic, unrealistic contra argument like TouchPad is heavy - yeah, than put some mussels, UI is laggy - yeah, don't close cards, battery is weak - yeah, buy touchstone for every room. That way, people with good intentions, posting realistic critic posts are becoming irritated, and becoming slightly hostile.
    HP is aiming high with TouchPad having in mind much wider market than existing WebOS loyalists, and yet TouchPad is offering specs that fits only established WebOS fan base. If HP wants to bring masses to WebOS, than they must follow trends, and what else is present on that market they are entering with TouchPad. HP haven't made TouchPad desirable externally, haven't polished WebOS and haven't delivered features with TouchPad, pricing it in same level as today's top of the line device. It's like HP never actually bought Palm, and that Jon is still in charge for every aspect of WebOS.

    I think this post is extremely opinionated without real factual evidence to suggest that the Touchpad is really a weak product in the current market.
    Heavy - I don't think people understand that our devices will not all stay light weight forever, the newer models may have to give up that extra space of nothingness for a new device or a better camera (just better hardware in general). Also if the Touchpad feels good in the hands, the weight is going to be a second concern in the customers mind but the feel to the back of it I believe is going to be better than the iPad 2 because the iPad 2 is extremely awkward in the backside. (This is like your post, extremely opinionated)
    UI laggy - This is actually not an issue, the demo units in the store are laggy because they are exactly that Demo Units, and also the lag is partly due to the lack of internet connection.
    Battery - I don't believe we have an actual review for the battery yet. So that would be kind of a premature attack on the battery life no?
  6. #46  
    1.6 pounds is not heavy. It simply is not heavy. I only got to see a TouchPad behind glass, but I could see it was slightly thicker than I imagined it being. Not to say that is bad. It is going to be in a case anyway, hiding all of its 'flaws' (plastic design). Frankly my Dear, I don't give a damn. I would sacrifice the thickness of a device if it meant it wasn't as 'sexy'. WebOS is versatile (and this is speaking from a Pre- user, who can still do things on his crappy phone that iOS only dreams of), and that is what really matters. I do wish they decided to go with a matte finish though. That would have been rad. But, if you really had the balls, you could take a scotchbrite pad to the surface (I did that to my netbook), and you can dull down the surface.
  7. #47  
    It's only fair to use the TouchPad's weight to illustrate why it's obsolete already.

    But it's not fair to say that the iPad2's CPU and RAM are obsolete already.

    Got it.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Actually I don't think it's the weight. It's the plastic vs. aluminum and size.
    It's not only that, but it just reflects poorly when comparing to a competitor. I mean, sure, 1.6 pounds isn't all that heavy. But when you're looking at it, and you're looking at an iPad 2, and a Galaxy Tab 10.1, well then yeah, it's going to look heavy.

    I've said it before, but it's really going to be tough for HP to market this thing when you think about its competition. I'm not saying it's automatically out of date, but they're entering a competitive market with a very clear leader, and it's going to be tough to convince users to get something else.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 06/27/2011 at 02:49 PM.
  9. #49  
    I don't think the weight is a problem at all. The feel and design could be though.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    It's not only that, but it just reflects poorly when comparing to a competitor. I mean, sure, 1.6 pounds isn't all that heavy. But when you're looking at it, and you're looking at an iPad, and a Galaxy Tab 10.1, well then yeah, it's going to look heavy.

    I've said it before, but it's really going to be tough for HP to market this thing when you think about its competition. I'm not saying it's automatically out of date, but they're entering a competitive market with a very clear leader, and it's going to be tough to convince users to get something else.
    Yeah but their line up of celebrities should have an influence on some of the sheep.
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by kyleoXD View Post
    I have to say I don't care about the weight. Still MUCH lighter then your netbook or notebook. I don't know why people have to keep comparing everything to the IPAD.

    I can't wait to see what type of apps HP develops.
    I keep seeing this argument about being lighter than a netbook. While true, the 2 devices are used in radically different ways. A netbook sits flat on a table or flat on your lap. How often do you hold your netbook with just your fingers while using your other hand to operate it?

    The only tablet I've used enough to figure out my own usage patterns is the nook color. I can say that anything much heavier and bigger could be a pain to use. In portrait I can reach much of the screen easiy. In landscape though you are pretty much holding with one and and interfacing with the other. The same would go for the touchpad (regardless of orientation). Anythng more than a few minutes will likely get annoying.

    Sort of unrelated, but, even though not sexy, the rubbery case that the nook color has makes holding the device very nice...and no finger prints. The only problem with the nook color is its entirely too slow to use for anything but play games and read books. The web is tortorus to use!
  12. #52  
    Please understand that when I'm writing this I'm not taking sides. I am only writing from personal experience.

    To those that say 1.5 lbs isn't heavy and what don't you have any muscles? Do you realize how callous you sound? Do you realize you are insulting a portion of the country that suffers from ailments that cause weakness in the limbs? I'm glad that you do not have these aliments. Please think before you react. People who suffer from some diseases aren't able to lift x lbs. Most of these numbers are at the 5 lbs mark. So to them they can feel the difference of 1 or 1.5 lbs. They feel it in how long they are able to lift the device or carry it. I for one do not suffer from any of these, but my wife does. She suffers from MS where carrying a 5 lbs bag of flour from the shelf to the shopping cart begins to tire her. Where 100+ degree days drain her. Where a house set at 70 degree can still make her break out in a sweat just getting dressed. think of these things before you go spouting off about how 1.5 isn't heavy

    For those of you saying it is to heavy. go get a brick and start walking around with it everywhere you go. Soon you won't even notice the extra weight you might get a couple of funny looks but who cares what people think. Do want you want!. If none of these pleases you then the simple answer is submit a feedback to HP letting them know that 1.5(6) is to much. Also don't buy this one.

    problem(s) solved
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

    Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
  13. #53  
    wow
  14. #54  
    this thread has gotten out of hand.
  15. #55  
    Where the weight comparisons between tablets really matter is in battery life. If the TouchPad has worse battery life than the iPad and its heavier, then it will be demoted. If its better, then they (and we) can write it off to a by-product of usefulness. Here's hoping for 12 hrs...!
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    Please understand that when I'm writing this I'm not taking sides. I am only writing from personal experience.

    To those that say 1.5 lbs isn't heavy and what don't you have any muscles? Do you realize how callous you sound? Do you realize you are insulting a portion of the country that suffers from ailments that cause weakness in the limbs? I'm glad that you do not have these aliments. Please think before you react. People who suffer from some diseases aren't able to lift x lbs. Most of these numbers are at the 5 lbs mark. So to them they can feel the difference of 1 or 1.5 lbs. They feel it in how long they are able to lift the device or carry it. I for one do not suffer from any of these, but my wife does. She suffers from MS where carrying a 5 lbs bag of flour from the shelf to the shopping cart begins to tire her. Where 100+ degree days drain her. Where a house set at 70 degree can still make her break out in a sweat just getting dressed. think of these things before you go spouting off about how 1.5 isn't heavy

    For those of you saying it is to heavy. go get a brick and start walking around with it everywhere you go. Soon you won't even notice the extra weight you might get a couple of funny looks but who cares what people think. Do want you want!. If none of these pleases you then the simple answer is submit a feedback to HP letting them know that 1.5(6) is to much. Also don't buy this one.

    problem(s) solved
    Sure there are diseases that affect many people and they are no laughing matter, I think the point to be made here is the fact that the majority of consumers in the world are not going to have these sorts of diseases and they would find the weight between the iPad 2 and the Touchpad to be very minimal as far as everyday usage of a tablet is concerned. For a person who may have such a disability it is important to weigh your options and go with the lighter tablet or wait for the specific OS to come out on a more lightweight option but for general argument sake the Touchpad is not very heavy.
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by WebOSFan12 View Post
    Sure there are diseases that affect many people and they are no laughing matter, I think the point to be made here is the fact that the majority of consumers in the world are not going to have these sorts of diseases and they would find the weight between the iPad 2 and the Touchpad to be very minimal as far as everyday usage of a tablet is concerned. For a person who may have such a disability it is important to weigh your options and go with the lighter tablet or wait for the specific OS to come out on a more lightweight option but for general argument sake the Touchpad is not very heavy.
    For the general argument's sake...

    A photographer doesnt hold his/her camera all the time even when they use it. They have straps, tripods and bean bags.

    A mechanic doesnt hold his/her tools all the time. They have toolbelts, tool chests, etc.

    A reader doesnt hold a book up all of the time. They place it on their lap, a desk or table, or change hands.

    Point is, weight matters for all of those items. Where weight matters in the tablet arena is when you are only using your hand to bring the tablet to reading height, which will NOT be comfortable for the majority of people. And like those other items, there are solutions to help alleviate that. Telling people to go exercise, while a nice idea that could solve the problem, isnt realistic especially when one of our most powerful organs, our brain, has provided other solutions such as case stands.

    Instead of telling people to go exercise or carry a brick, imply a more intelligent solution such as this easy-to-hold case or the Touchstone-stand, etc. That may help people who view weight as an issue to overcome it. Negating someone else's view is simply incendiary.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
  18. #58  
    The TP weighs more than my fishing sinkers. So, I guess I won't use it for that...
    I see pandas.
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    For the general argument's sake...

    A photographer doesnt hold his/her camera all the time even when they use it. They have straps, tripods and bean bags.

    A mechanic doesnt hold his/her tools all the time. They have toolbelts, tool chests, etc.

    A reader doesnt hold a book up all of the time. They place it on their lap, a desk or table, or change hands.

    Point is, weight matters for all of those items. Where weight matters in the tablet arena is when you are only using your hand to bring the tablet to reading height, which will NOT be comfortable for the majority of people. And like those other items, there are solutions to help alleviate that. Telling people to go exercise, while a nice idea that could solve the problem, isnt realistic especially when one of our most powerful organs, our brain, has provided other solutions such as case stands.

    Instead of telling people to go exercise or carry a brick, imply a more intelligent solution such as this easy-to-hold case or the Touchstone-stand, etc. That may help people who view weight as an issue to overcome it. Negating someone else's view is simply incendiary.
    Most of the regular books that I own probably weigh a lot more than the TouchPad. If a normal person can deal with picking up a hard cover book and reading it, they shouldn't have a problem with a tablet such as the TouchPad.
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Its not 1 pound, did you read the spec sheet?


    Anyway, i don't think it matters as long as the difference is small. For those who cares, they can handle all the tablets in the store and find another lighter one, if so desired.

    Ps. Why compare to iPad1? Touchpad is not competing with iPad1, it means zero for buyers.


    ---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    okay 1.6lbs,still not a overwhelming difference to complain about.


    I compare it to then ipad because they did match majority of the specs from the Ipad. But I compared it because of the weight of it. The ipad weighs about 1.5lbs from the amazon spec sheet. I'am pretty sure you can find forum post about the first ipad and how it is better then most tablets and no compalints about the weight.But since the new ipad is out and thinner then every tablet should be thinner and now the Touchpad is too heavy. That`s why I compared it to the ipad. To point out how people are.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions