Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 88
  1. concept2's Avatar
    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    #21  
    The weight factor is not that big of a deal. Plus, on the good side, those lazy people complaining about the weight can use a TouchPad instead of working out and the extra weight will be a benefit in their scenario. In turn, the iPad2 deters physical fitness because it is lighter. :-P

    Also, I saw previously in this post or another that the thinness can be a bit awkward to hold after a period of time and I totally agree. Ergonomics is a strong selling point in my opinion.
  2. #22  
    What I find fascinating about this whole discussion is that somehow weight matters a ton for Tablets but not at all for phones? Why?

    The iPhone 4 is one of the heaviest phones out there yet nobody complains. They call it "feeling like a solid device" etc. Does that mean if the Touchpad (foolishly) had a glass back and actually weighed a bit more, everyone would say it feels like a solid device?

    I don't know what kind of world I live in where glass is considered a more sturdy material than plastic.

    I must be a minority but I'm more concerned about the weight of my phone than my tablet.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Its not 1 pound, did you read the spec sheet?

    Anyway, i don't think it matters as long as the difference is small. For those who cares, they can handle all the tablets in the store and find another lighter one, if so desired.

    Ps. Why compare to iPad1? Touchpad is not competing with iPad1, it means zero for buyers.
    ---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    iPad 1 is heavy and successful.
  4. #24  
    when you pick up the tp its light but after standing there and using it for 10 mins its not as light as I thought. Not sure if this should go into anyones mindwhen considering purchasing a tablet
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by lakerguy View Post
    Yes, the Touchpad feels akin to the Xoom weight-wise. However, its more square-like dimensions make it a little easier to use in landscape mode. But it still feels like a doorstop.
    Doorstops, depending on the type, can wech as much as 3-6 oz.

    Im not sure what your point is...

    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    when you pick up the tp its light but after standing there and using it for 10 mins its not as light as I thought. Not sure if this should go into anyones mindwhen considering purchasing a tablet
    Using the demo at the store you are standing and holding. Try and imagine how many use cases you will be doing that when you own one.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Using the demo at the store you are standing and holding. Try and imagine how many use cases you will be doing that when you own one.

    almost never, I have a stand for mine(tablet, not ipad), and I'd imagine many people will. I know the ipad stands are very popular. I even rest it on the stand on my lap as it has a nice base and just works.
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
  8. #28  
    1. A lot of reviewers complained about the iPad 1 weight when it was released.

    2. The TouchPad will be competing with the iPad 2, not the iPad 1.

    3. Its not necessarily the weight, but the ergonomics in the hand. The iPad 2 is just a lot easier to hold than the iPad 1, yet the weight is practically the same.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by WebOSFan12 View Post
    I'm going to refer to the previous comments, are you a new sub-species of human where you have no natural muscle in your arms?
    No - I'm someone who has actually spent a lot of time with many of the tablets out there on the market right now. I have an iPad 1 and I just spent the whole weekend test-driving an HTC EVO View (the Sprint version of the Flyer 7" tab). A good friend has a Xoom and an iPad 2. I've spent as much time with any of them as I'd want. And for the record, I'm generally anti-Apple as a company and think the gadget media gives them way too much credit for almost everything they do.

    If you don't think the weight and ergonomics of a tablet are important, I'd guess you've never used one for any significant amount of time.

    The EVO View is heavy -- but it's small. As several reviews have mentioned, it feels solid. The weight isn't a deal-breaker in a 7-inch device because the center of gravity and how you hold it in your hands is completely different from a large tablet. Typing on a 7-inch touchscreen in portrait mode is very easy. The 10-inch devices are a completely different beast.

    But I also own a Kindle, which has the exact same face dimensions, and I know when I put the EVO down and pick up the Kindle, it's a world of difference. There's no way I'd sit and read a book on any heavy tablet when I have the option of an 8.7 ounce Kindle. In fact, I find myself using the web browser on the Kindle despite the inconvenience of the b/w screen and having to navigate with the 5-way controller because of how incredibly comfortable the device is to hold.

    We can rationalize the obvious shortcomings of the Touchpad all we want, and I understand it because I feel very strongly that Web OS and Windows Phone 7 are radically superior to the competing mobile OS options in almost every respect. But the Touchpad is competing against the iPad 2 and the Galaxy 10.1, and it feels significantly heavier than either of those. It feels as heavy, but less ergonomically comfortable than the Xoom. It is way behind the curve on hardware design.

    With that factor and its lack of apps, I don't think it has much of a chance. I remain unconvinced that businesses are going to buy consumption devices like tablets en masse, the way HP thinks they're going to. Business means productivity, and tablets are good to watch things on and play with, not to produce content.
    Last edited by lakerguy; 06/27/2011 at 09:16 AM.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by kevr1990 View Post
    iPad 1 is heavy and successful.
    iPad 1 also has no competitor for most of its lifetime.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    What I find fascinating about this whole discussion is that somehow weight matters a ton for Tablets but not at all for phones? Why?

    The iPhone 4 is one of the heaviest phones out there yet nobody complains. They call it "feeling like a solid device" etc. Does that mean if the Touchpad (foolishly) had a glass back and actually weighed a bit more, everyone would say it feels like a solid device?

    I don't know what kind of world I live in where glass is considered a more sturdy material than plastic.

    I must be a minority but I'm more concerned about the weight of my phone than my tablet.
    Weight does matter for me, tablet or phone. Why shouldn't we strive for lighter, thinner, ergonomically better, and better looking? Why does light have to be implicated with being too light and not sturdy? Why does heavy get associated with "solid feeling" when it's just plain, er, heavy?

    Ipad2 wifi is 21.3oz (1.33lbs), Ipad1 wifi is 25.6(1.6lbs). TP is same as Ipad1. I have a Galaxy Tab 7. It's 13oz (.81lbs). The first thing my sister said when I show her the tab was, "It's kinda heavy". And you know what, she's right. It does feel heavy, even at 13oz. You can go on about one handed operation vs two, portrait holding vs landscape, screen aspect ratio sweet spot vs being too wide and awkward feeling in hand, whether you're gonna hold it the entire time vs resting it on a table, blah blah blah, but wouldn't it be nice if in the future, tablets can be as light as today's kindle where you can just pick it up with one hand and flick away? Ok, hopefully that's in the near future. And on top of size and weight, looks matter. Looks matter ALOT. Unfortunately, TP is no looker. Ipad1,2 and Galaxy Tab 10.1 are lookers IMO. I never thought HP consumer laptops (minus super expensive ENVY) were good looking and I wish they'd go and steal some designers from Apple, Samsung, or Sony.

    The issue many of us might be having is that TP is being released in the middle of 2011 with 2010 specs. As a 1st gen product, it'll compete against a few 2nd gen products out there. What's the excuse for not having HDMI out or micro SD slot AND still being 1.6lbs? Ok, the Palm buyout and losing a product cycle... this is a legitimate reason but do the consumers care? Oh how consumers are fickle; afterall, 2010 was only but last year! But in this market, you can't sleep or even rest... and if you do, exhibit A: RIM.

    So hoping for a better-than-expected success in TP1, and wishing for a thinner, lighter, better looking, and a runaway successful TP2 in 2012.
    Last edited by laoh; 06/27/2011 at 09:56 AM.
  12. #32  
    The weight of a tablet or a phone (or any device with which you will be holding) is and should be a concern. I spent 36 hours with an iPad (original) so that I can get a feel for it and how I would use a tablet. Holding it up at an angle on my lap while watching TV and holding it on my stomach while laying in bed is going to be some of my primary uses. The iPad was too heavy to do that for long periods of time, and I used the case-stand to help prop it up. For me, the weight wont be a problem. But if you are going to be toting this around with it out as you traverse place to place because you have to be "that person who shows off that you have a tablet", then weight can pose a problem. I am not speaking for all, but I know that my tablet will be a more comfortable media/internet device than my 17" laptop, so its WAY more comfortable than that!

    But with all of that said, weight will be compared to similar models, and just as processor speeds, it looks good on paper but the real difference may not mean much in the real world.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
  13. Hobbz's Avatar
    Posts
    273 Posts
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    #33  
    The TP is 30% heavier than the main current competitors. I agree that with the obvious shortcomings, the pricepoint seems a bit high.

    The main question I see is this. Are customers willing to pay the same amount for the TP instead of getting another tablet? Obviously, HP thinks so.

    I can't help but wonder if they will reconsider down the road. Remember how the Veer's price dropped faster than a falling meteor?

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    War Eagle!
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbz View Post
    I can't help but wonder if they will reconsider down the road. Remember how the Veer's price dropped faster than a falling meteor?

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    hehe, im sure not as fast.

    Touchpad is different than Veer, touchpad is a high end product that have a brand to sustain. Although I advocated lower prices for a while, now the price is official, its hard to change.

    HP may do some tricks here and there, such as holiday sales, back to school sales, etc, but to lower the MSRP significantly too fast, will surely hurt the feelings and loyalties of early adopters.

    I think its a wrong strategy from start, but its now a bullet on its course.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    The issue many of us might be having is that TP is being released in the middle of 2011 with 2010 specs. As a 1st gen product, it'll compete against a few 2nd gen products out there. What's the excuse for not having HDMI out or micro SD slot AND still being 1.6lbs? Ok, the Palm buyout and losing a product cycle... this is a legitimate reason but do the consumers care? Oh how consumers are fickle; afterall, 2010 was only but last year! But in this market, you can't sleep or even rest... and if you do, exhibit A: RIM.
    Woah.

    Please name for me a tablet that had dual core 1.2 Ghz ARM CPU and 1GB of RAM in 2010. In fact, while your at it, name those that do in 2011 so far.

    I guess that means the iPad 2 is pretty much a 2009 device?

    Since the TouchPad has better specs than the iPad 2, what's that mean?
  16. #36  
    people will <<mod deleted>> about almost anything where possible.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 06/27/2011 at 10:39 AM. Reason: language
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    people will <<mod deleted>> about almost anything where possible.
    That's not true - On every good remark about TouchPad's shortcomings there is one overenthusiastic, unrealistic contra argument like TouchPad is heavy - yeah, than put some mussels, UI is laggy - yeah, don't close cards, battery is weak - yeah, buy touchstone for every room. That way, people with good intentions, posting realistic critic posts are becoming irritated, and becoming slightly hostile.
    HP is aiming high with TouchPad having in mind much wider market than existing WebOS loyalists, and yet TouchPad is offering specs that fits only established WebOS fan base. If HP wants to bring masses to WebOS, than they must follow trends, and what else is present on that market they are entering with TouchPad. HP haven't made TouchPad desirable externally, haven't polished WebOS and haven't delivered features with TouchPad, pricing it in same level as today's top of the line device. It's like HP never actually bought Palm, and that Jon is still in charge for every aspect of WebOS.
  18. #38  
    The weight feels just fine to me. :-)
  19. #39  
    Actually I don't think it's the weight. It's the plastic vs. aluminum and size.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    what is inevitable about that weight difference is how the sensitivity of our hands are to subtle changes in the weight of a familiar object, will be played out in reviews as an actual issue.

    perhaps reviewers should just take there watches off
    I've found the effect you describe to be surprisingly powerful since switching from the Pre- to the Veer. Now, when I pick up my wife's Pre- it seems unpleasantly heavy, bulky, and clunky, none of which seemed to be a problem during the more than two years I used the very same phone. I think you're right about this.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions