1.    #1  
    We have all seen the TouchPad in demos and even with our fellow forum members in Walmart and Best Buy. However, it is less than 5 days (at the writing of this post) from the release of the TouchPad. We all know our little features we wish we could have in the TouchPad and we all know that HP could have done them. But can WebOS Internals, Jason, or any of the other brilliant WebOS dev do this via a patch? This is a thread dedicated to what we would love to see as a patch for our new TouchPads come July 1st. So.... post away!!
    I will try to keep an updated list of the mentioned patches we would all love to see in this first post.

List:
    - More transparent launcher pages
    - Sprint Pre- Call/SMS Forwarding
    - Advanced Gesture to switch between apps (side swipe on the screen or swipe across bottom pixels)
    - Browser User Agent changer (for use of Hulu and the like)
    - set as wallpaper function in Photo Gallery
    - Delete email from notification
    - Mark all emails read
    - Battery Icon & %
    - Brightness in device menu
    - Pre to TouchPad GPS (TouchPad using Pre's GPS)
    Last edited by Rennat; 06/27/2011 at 09:18 PM.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    More transparent launcher pages. I wanna see more of the background while flipping through apps.
    A'men. It's kinda silly, but I find myself really disappointed over the dullness of the launcher that HP decided to go with for webOS 3.0.

I've been running the glass launcher on my pre since it came out and I love it; I can't go back to the grey. I played with a playbook and a xoom the other day back to back and they don't have anything so dull. HP should have had something more elegant for launch.
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    A patch to pair non-2. devices to the Touchpad. I could live with my pre- until Sprint comes out with something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsueks View Post
    A patch to pair non-2. devices to the Touchpad. I could live with my pre- until Sprint comes out with something else.
    I stand corrected. Good call.
    Advanced gestures, i.e. swiping in from the side to switch to the next app.
    Quote Originally Posted by isaac.jang216 View Post
    Advanced gestures, i.e. swiping in from the side to switch to the next app.
    YES YES YES. I'm sure this could be implemented the same way the upswipe is being done. I think the Advanced Gestures making webOS's multitasking even better and I will/would really miss them on the TouchPad.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Someone needs to change the dang user-agent string, I want Netflix with all this flash power coming.
    Netflix is silverlight, and not flash. In that case, patch to install silverlight? haha.
    I would like to see when you hit the sharing icon in the picture gallery, you get more options instead of just opening up the email app. I want the set as wallpaper function back XD, but maybe they just limited the demo version and might have more options on the real touchpads.
    1. Data Synchronization like Neato but between webOS devices! I know Touch to Share does some of this, but I'd like to move files (images, docs, etc). How bout SMB file sharing between webOS devices?

2. VNC - working and able to use the 1024x768

3. Enhanced Doom and Quake Emulators - if they can do this on Pre's...can you imagine how cool this would be large scale. Playing this on my Pre was cool, but I could never quite make the screen controls work and my big thumbs always blocked the display.

4. Document Editing - discussed hacking webOS and bringing Open Office or similar to webOS. I'm certain the larger screen size will help make the transition easier.

Sorry I went off topic...the original message said Future Patches. I can see many of the present webOS patches working on a TouchPad, but the list would be way too long.

Either way, I'm sure the Homebrew and webOS Internals has a few TRICKS UP THEIR SLEEVES and I can't wait to see what they can accomplish. About 5 more days! Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    1. Data Synchronization like Neato but between webOS devices! I know Touch to Share does some of this, but I'd like to move files (images, docs, etc). How bout SMB file sharing between webOS devices?

2. VNC - working and able to use the 1024x768

3. Enhanced Doom and Quake Emulators - if they can do this on Pre's...can you imagine how cool this would be large scale. Playing this on my Pre was cool, but I could never quite make the screen controls work and my big thumbs always blocked the display.

4. Document Editing - discussed hacking webOS and bringing Open Office or similar to webOS. I'm certain the larger screen size will help make the transition easier.

Sorry I went off topic...the original message said Future Patches. I can see many of the present webOS patches working on a TouchPad, but the list would be way too long.

Either way, I'm sure the Homebrew and webOS Internals has a few TRICKS UP THEIR SLEEVES and I can't wait to see what they can accomplish. About 5 more days! Sorli...
    Open Office would be great.. and compatible with the webOS "philosophy" i believe.
    - More transparent launcher pages
    - Sprint Pre- Call/SMS Forwarding
    Not positive, but I don't think we'll have to worry about the doc editing. All we've seen for sure is that it will have doc viewing on the TP at launch. My thinking is that HP will leave the editing to paid for apps like on the iPad. It's geared towards enterprise, so I would imagine that they would want to have editing. Plus what would be the incentive for me as a doc editing app developer to make an app for the TP if HP already had an app on there that did that? Just wishful thinking I guess.
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Oh man, so many useful patches that I need:

Delete email from notification
    Mark all emails read
    Battery Icon & %
    Brightness in device menu

Most of the others I'll need to see how the thing behaves before knowing if it needs to be patched or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsueks View Post
    This is all I really care about, I won't be preordering/ordering a TP until I know that this patch exists.
    Oh yeah, how about a patch/pathces that enables the TP to use the GPS signal from a connected WebOS phone?
    I think theres quite a bit of confusion. The original poster's intention (I think) is more to ask what you want in the WebOS 3.1 update, not what homebrew patches you want.

As for me I think I dont think I'll really know what I want until I have a touchpad in my hands, so I'll hold off until then. But I do like the sound of whats already been said, transparent launcher pages seems like a no brainer to me, as does the advanced side gesture. Never use it on my phone but I actually surprisingly liked it on the Playbook so I would like to see it come as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    List:
    - Advanced Gesture to switch between apps (side swipe on the screen)
    Perhaps even to improve on this, instead of a full swipe across the screen, maybe an "x pixel" swipe across the bottom row of pixels could be the gesture. Like a 341 pixel (1/3 of wider side).

That way, the gesture length could be the same, whether on portrait or landscape.

An excellent idea, if I do say so myself!
  20.    #20  
    Patch list updated!
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne