Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    At my local Best Buy they're really excited about the thing. They say it's going to make all the Android tablets look bad... which it does.
    I say we should kick their (those 2 bby ppl) "arsses" to get some good sense into them
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
    If you are in a store that has the Touchpad, iPad 2 and Galaxy Tab 10.1 near each other, like the Best Buy I was in yesterday, the extra weight and thickness of the Touchpad is extremely noticeable. The edges are a ton bigger near the outside. That extra taper is how the iPad and Galaxy achieve the illusion of extra thinness.

The iPad and Galaxy feel like they're basically an almost-weightless plate of glass in your hand. The Touchpad feels like a big, heavy chunk of plastic with a glass top. It's even a bit heavier than the original iPad, which is very clunky by comparison to this year's model. And that's a big, big deal in a tablet this size.

Sorry, folks, but the Touchpad looks and especially feels like a product from a year or two ago. It's a big disappointment.
    Quote Originally Posted by lakerguy View Post
    If you are in a store that has the Touchpad, iPad 2 and Galaxy Tab 10.1 near each other, like the Best Buy I was in yesterday, the extra weight and thickness of the Touchpad is extremely noticeable. The edges are a ton bigger near the outside. That extra taper is how the iPad and Galaxy achieve the illusion of extra thinness.

The iPad and Galaxy feel like they're basically an almost-weightless plate of glass in your hand. The Touchpad feels like a big, heavy chunk of plastic with a glass top. It's even a bit heavier than the original iPad, which is very clunky by comparison to this year's model. And that's a big, big deal in a tablet this size.

Sorry, folks, but the Touchpad looks and especially feels like a product from a year or two ago. It's a big disappointment.
    What do you expect with stereo speakers and beats audio? I'd put up with extra weight and thickness if the movies sound awesome and music pops and speakers are strong. Otherwise, you may as well listen through a tin can with a string attached. Ipad2 speaker is really underwhelming.
    The speakers on the iPad 2 aren't terrible. If you care about sound quality, you aren't going to be listening through the tiny speaker slits on the Touchpad either. I fired up a bunch of HD YouTube music videos and didn't think anything one way or another out of the sound. It sounded like it was coming from a tablet, not a set of nice speakers.

looking at the hardware, it is a little behind , but to call it a "big disappointment" based on size and weight and to ignore the software is not giving it a full review
    I can't speak for other BBs, but the one I go to is staffed by incompetent morons. Over the years they have more than once proven my opinion. Just yesterday, after asking about the TP, the floor manager suggested I get a BB Playbook instead because it is also running WebOS. They simply don't know the products they sell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbz View Post
    As far as the weight goes, we've known the official weight from HP for the 32GB TouchPad is 1.6 pounds. That's about a third of a pound heavier than others. Or the negative types would say it's 30% heavier.

Sure, some will make that an issue. Here's how I see it....

A third of a pound is 5 ounces. That's less than half the weight of the beverage I just drank. Or - Just realized the TP weighs 26 ounces, which is the equivalent of two bottled beverages overall. Not too bad when viewed from that perspective.

Speaking of beverages... I'm thirsty.
    Every ounce counts if you're holding a device in your hands for more than a few minutes. The original iPad's weight was one my biggest problems with it and it's the reason why I tend to look towards smaller 7" models when I think about getting tablet. The bottom line for me is that I already have a 10" netbook which holds itself up just fine and is a real computer; why should I get a 10" tablet which I need to hold up to use?
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    looking at the hardware, it is a little behind , but to call it a "big disappointment" based on size and weight and to ignore the software is not giving it a full review

How is the hardware "a little behind." Dual-Core 1.2 GHz Qualcomm Processor, 1024 Display, Memory, Storage, all in line, if not better than Galaxy Tab, Xoom and iPad 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by ashakouri1 View Post
    How is the hardware "a little behind." Dual-Core 1.2 GHz Qualcomm Processor, 1024 Display, Memory, Storage, all in line, if not better than Galaxy Tab, Xoom and iPad 2.
    was re. The size and weight, ( I quoted the previous poster ) ofcourse the internals are up to date.
    Well I for one can't wait to own one of those "big disappointments." I am certainly not going to fret over each ounce a computing device has.

Running IOS is the biggest disappointment that no thinness or lightness can compensate for.
    I went to Bestbuy today, hoping to see a demo of the Touchpad, and two of the Bestbuy employees said that the HP rep. had the unit and wasn't in on Sunday....
    If the HP rep has the TouchPad with him/her then he/she likely has a pre-production unit.
    How??? Because he said so. That's "how". It's the typical iPhan response. It's not an iWhatever, so it's obsolete.
    Seriously lakerguy must be a f-a-n-b-o-y, or just an android nut because I can not see the difference in weight between the ipad 2 and the touchpad to be that big of a difference, unless you have some sort of disease that eats away at your natural muscle that allows you to do daily tasks, anything less than 2 pounds should be an easy thing to hold in your hands unless you're extremely lazy in which case you should just give up on life.

I played withbthe touchpad today and loved the feel and weight. Just because a device is lighter does not mean it's easier to hold for a long period of time. I have the iPad 2 and it feels very okward to me when holding it without the smart cover. The touchpad with the rounded edges felt beautiful in my hands. And this was with a big security corde attached to the back. I loved the feel and weight. The other tablets either felt to sharp around the edges or two top or bottom heavy.
    Hold your underwear for long enough and it too will become a burden; I know, I had to do it for 2 hours at MCRD Parris Island.
    The thinness of the iPad2 gets annoying to hold for playing games. Holding the original iPad felt better after longer periods of time. Too thin isn't always the answer. I have not played games on a zoom (can't find anyone who has one) but I've held one and the thinness just isn't that comfortable to hold. Maybe we need some weight room time if the actual weight of these devices is a deal breaker? Just saying... Lol

For the TouchPad, I really don't like the plastic back of it. When my Pre minus came with that similar back, I removed that POS as soon as possible. I was glad to get a touchstone to get rid of that cheap scratch prone material. I guess If I get a TP, I'll have to get a back cover for it.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Guys, calling lakerguy iphone ****** just because he stated his opinion based on real life experience with Touchpad is not OK.
    For once, try to be objective and not to think from WebOS enthusiast point of view - When uninformed customer walks in store, he will for sure compare looks and feel of available tablets, and you all have to agree that design, material feel and weight do play great role in deciding. Stage two of decision making is to get information from sales person. So, if customer is not attracted by device design, and on top of that he receive bad input from salesman, what do you think will happen?
    Please tell me you slapped him. Hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbo89 View Post
    Please tell me you slapped him. Hard.
    +1
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast