Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    We've been hearing that the BestBuy stores are receiving training now so will be interesting to see how they improve with these education efforts.

If you would like to participate, we are using a 3 part format below so we can easily compare store experiences.

I. BestBuy Address

II. Rate the store on three areas from 1-5 (1 is poor, 3 is average, 5 is excellent)

A. Display (looks well kept, demo models are working, area easily accessible, well-lit etc )?
    B. Salesperson knowledge of webOS (ie does he/she know the basics of TouchPad's unique features among tablets (ie webOS features such as just type, synergy, multitasking, TTS, sharing phone call between webOS phone and TouchPad)
    C. Sales effort (i.e.does the salesperson appear positive when talking to customers about the TouchPad, does she/he seem to "like" webOS?)

III. Comments

DUMMY EXAMPLE

I. Address: 8 Quincy Adams St Chicago
    II.
    A. Display: 3
    B. Knowledge:2
    C Effort: 4

comments:
    Model was not charged, screen was dirty, lock device obscured screen.
    No one in the mobile section of the store knew about the TouchPad even though tablets from other manufacturers were in the mobile area. Once I entered the tablet section of the store and found the TouchPad display, no one came over to me for the 10 minutes I was looking at the device, store was not overly busy.
    Once I found a salesperson to sell me the TouchPad, they were prompt and helpful in ringing up the device and answering any questions I had.
    Last edited by bluenote; 06/26/2011 at 01:00 PM.
    I. Address: 7929 Abercorn St, Bldg #5 Savannah, GA 31406

II.
    A. Display: 2
    B. Knowledge:1
    C Effort: 1

The display was there even though no one knew what it was for. There were no Touchpads (working or not) on display or in the adverstisement for the display (had the Veer). The display had some random HP laptops on it so it wouldn't be empty. Got into a long argument with a BestBuy associate about the Touchpad. He first did not know what it was and thought it was the Windows 7 version that HP killed. I had to pull up youtube on one of the display laptop to show him what it was. This led to a lenghty discussion about him not recommending it because it did not have iOS or Android on it. When I mentioned the true multi-tasking (with cards) he balked at it eating battery power. When I told him about Palm/HP working with Adobe to have a good working version of Flash on it, he said that Android had Flash. When I told him that Android's Flash was buggy and keep crashing my devices (Archos 70, my kid's phones), he told me that Flash on his phone worked great. He proceeded to show me a Flash games website on his Android phone, which crashed his phone's browser in less than 2 seconds. He then told me that Flash was not needed because of HTML 5. I told him that HTML 5 had a slow adoption rate and that not all browsers supported it fully, which he did not know. He tried to mention coding in HTML, but when I showed him some HTML code (by right clicking on a website) and talked about CSS he was completely clueless. He started talking about Microsoft Frontpage. My daughter had to break up our conversation so we could go get dinner. On the way out I noticed he was wearing a necklace with an Apple logo on it outside of his BestBuy shirt. Not the kind of person or atmosphere for a new WebOS launch. I predict a low adoption rate in Savannah, GA, USA because of this.
  3.    #3  
    Wow, too bad.
    I. Address: Gainesville Florida (only one store)

II.
    A. Display: 2
    B. Knowledge:3
    C Effort: 3

Big problem with the display related to no working models (Veer or TouchPad). The Veer has been on display in the Mobile phone space for a while now, but power at this unit seems to always be unplugged and won't charge and come up for people to try the unit. The remaining demos units are Dummy Products and don't do much of showing what you got, especially when mounted upside down, or with the Security Key in the middle of the display. From what I hear this is typical of Best Buy.

The guys and lady I spoke with I've talked too before and are very knowledgeable about iPhone, iPad, Android, and Palm phones, but as usual tend to lean everyone to what is popular today. I'm sure they started off well enough when the Playbook first was released, but I don't hear anyone talk about the Playbook anymore and suspect it is shoved in a corner somewhere. Just my impressions...

HP's TouchPad display is situated about throwing distance between Apple's iPads and larger Apple Display for Desktops, Laptops, etc. Actually, the placement is kinda problematic in my eyes since

1. Samsung's Galaxy Tab are first next too the Service and Support area
    2. Apple's iPad 2s come next at the next row end-cap
    3. HP TouchPad/Veer display would be considered last for prime time space.

Thinking of this Prime-Time location, in retrospect the HP Display is a Double-sided Table designed to showcase two TouchPad demo units. This may help and allow users more time to check things out more comfortably since the Samsung and iPad displays are situated in the walk-way. The Veers on the unit are again dummy units that hopefully will be replaced with real phones customers can test drive, pair, Touch to Share, etc come July 1st even if someone will need to be there to do this.

I'm hoping and praying HP's training and product ambassadors have more info and knowledge and can pass this to the local Best Buy customer and tech support staff? It would pain me greatly considering how much I like webOS and especially if my local store screws this up completely and forces me to go in a Go Postal on someone. I guess I really do like webOS! Sorli...
    I. 43525 West Oaks Drive Novi, MI 48377
    II.
    A. Display: 0
    B. Knowledge:0
    C Effort: 0

Notes: They had no clue what the HP Touchpad was! They did NOT have anything on display, their demo veer was a piece of cardboard jammed around non smart phones(not even joking)..

I have a best buy gift card though so I am hoping they get some units on the first or I will be looking elsewhere for my Touchpad.

-Toaster
    I. 104 W 104th Ave Northglenn, CO 80234. Phone: 303-252-8677

II.
    A. Display: 4
    B. Knowledge:5
    C Effort: 5

The Northglenn Best Buy had a display set up for the Veer. One dummy model and one working Veer. There was not a display for the TouchPad.

The employee that I talked with was very helpful. I asked him it they had any TouchPad's in stock. He said he did not think so but went looking to see if they did. He said the the "HP TouchPad is a highly anticipated device." I did not say it was by HP and he seemed to know about the tablet. Also he did not try to push another Tablet on me.
    Commodore Pet, Commodore 64&128, Amiga 4000, PC-7, Ubuntu, Treo 650. Treo 755p,Sprint Palm Pre Plus 2.2.4,2 Sprint Pre2 2.2.4, TouchPad 32gig.
    I. Crabtree Valley Mall, Raleigh, NC
    II.
    A. Display. Assembled and placed in prominent location. Empty.
    B. Knowledge: 1 (The kid didn't know)
    C. Effort: 4 (After multiple questions, he found someone who could tell me when they would have it.)

I asked if I would get to touch one on Friday. The kid said no. When I pressed, he said he didn't know when they would have them. When I pressed some more, he took me to his supervisor. Unfortunately, I learned this store would not have the TouchPad on Friday. The supervisor said the HP rep said they would have units "about two weeks after training". They get training tomorrow (Tuesday 28 Jun 2011).

I also asked about pre-orders. The kid said I had to do that online.
    Last edited by RaleighPalm; 06/28/2011 at 12:24 PM. Reason: added pre-order experience
    Quote Originally Posted by RaleighPalm View Post
    I. Crabtree Valley Mall, Raleigh, NC
    II.
    A. Display. Assembled and placed in prominent location. Empty.
    B. Knowledge: 1 (The kid didn't know)
    C. Effort: 4 (After multiple questions, he found someone who could tell me when they would have it.)

I asked if I would get to touch one on Friday. The kid said no. When I pressed, he said he didn't know when they would have them. When I pressed some more, he took me to his supervisor. Unfortunately, I learned this store would not have the TouchPad on Friday. The supervisor said the HP rep said they would have units "about two weeks after training". They get training tomorrow (Tuesday 28 Jun 2011).
    Pssh that has to be a misunderstanding, all Best Buys should have them in stock on July 1st, I'm an HP rep and I know the training he is talking about but it has nothing to do with when the Touchpad should be in stores.
    Quote Originally Posted by WebOSFan12 View Post
    Pssh that has to be a misunderstanding, all Best Buys should have them in stock on July 1st, I'm an HP rep and I know the training he is talking about but it has nothing to do with when the Touchpad should be in stores.
    Let's hope so. I plan to check the BB in Brier Creek tomorrow on the way home and see if there's a different story.
    I. 2727 W Thunderbird Rd Phoenix AZ

II.
    A) Display: 2
    B) Knowledge: 2
    C) Effort 4

I visited the same Best Buy twice, with today being the second time -- I wanted to see if they had an actual working unit this time, they didn't. When I fist saw the HP Touchpad display I was disappointed there was no demo unit. I quickly walked around all the tablets to double check when an employee behind the cashier table asked if I needed help.

I quickly asked her about the HP TouchPad and if they were taking pre-orders. She got on her microphone "thingy" clicked on her shirt and asked her fellow employees, no one responded. She asked again and no one if they were taking pre-orders. At first she said they probably weren't taking pre-orders and that they normally get aware of pre-orders by them being printed on their advertisements. While she was talking to me, she went online and noticed that they were taking pre-orders but that no one printed out the pre-order forms.

She printed one and I bought the $50 giftcard. I asked about a Demo unit and she again said they will probably receive one on Friday when they launch the device.

I'm glad she didn't just give up and searched to see if they were taking pre-orders, and that when I mentioned "Touchpad" she knew it was from HP -- but other than that, I wasn't happy that there was no demo unit, they didn't know they were taking pre-orders, and they obviously haven't had any training yet.
    I. 5820 E 82nd St Indianapolis, IN

II.
    A. 3
    B. 1
    C. 5

Actually was very surprised by my BB experience. The stand was kinda of in the center of the computer area off the main aisle where the other tablets are displayed. Obviously Best Buy has reorganized their computer section to make room for tablets. The stand was noticeable from the aisle but the TP was on the opposite side of the aisle. If you didn't walk to the back of the stand, you might not see it. The side facing the main aisle had 2 Veers. One working and the other a display unit.

Walked in and started playing with the TP which quickly caught the attention of an employee. He ended up spending some 10 minutes with me. He really didn't know anything about webOS but was very interested. He was looking for a good alternative to the iPad and thought this might be something to know about. I quickly showed him the ins and outs of webOS. He stopped me when saw me throw the cards off the screen. He thought that was "ingenious". He loved the multitasking and talked about how it worked better than his experience on the Zoom and Playbook. I showed him the Angry Birds Easter Egg and he flipped. Really dug that and was excited to show other employees that trick. He kept saying that if the Asus tablet coming in was webOS, he would get it and I had to explain a brief history of the OS and how HP will be the only maker of these for now. I showed him some advantages of the TP and he was really taken aback by the power of it. He said the Veer sucked and hated the keyboard. I told him was the same OS but a phone version(I didn't want to go into the 2.0/3.0 differences). On hearing that, he then was impressed with the Veer and how powerful it can be for that size.

All in all it was a good experience. He was very thankful and excited. I think he was happy to now be the resident webOS expert and said he was gonna push the TP to anyone not interested in an iPad. "Those folks don't want anything else". I did make sure to tell them there will be 300 apps at launch to help his pitch.
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    I. Address: Loop 410 (Northstar) San Antonio

A. Display: 1

Picture says it all.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I. Broomfield, CO store 186

II.
    A. 5
    B. 5
    C. 5

This store is PUMPED and knowledgeable for this launch!!
    I. Address: 4050 Hwy 52 N Maplewood Square, Rochester, MN

II.
    B. Knowledge: 2
    C. Effort: 4

Comments: Touchpad was not on display (oddly they had a display for the Galaxy 10.1, but no tablet was present). Employees were helpful however, but thought I was talking about an 'HP Slate'. Advised me that they had 'other android tablets' available. Manager was also in the area and mentioned that they were not given a display unit, but that she was excited to play with one on Friday.
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsueks View Post
    I. Address: Loop 410 (Northstar) San Antonio

Picture says it all.
    I'm originally from S.A.! Lol though this is hilarious, As an HP Rep I can say that sometimes they put the HP products in the worst places, when we launched the new Touchsmart 610 it was placed right in front of a pole whereas our old version was right in the open...
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WebOSFan12 View Post
    I'm originally from S.A.! Lol though this is hilarious, As an HP Rep I can say that sometimes they put the HP products in the worst places, when we launched the new Touchsmart 610 it was placed right in front of a pole whereas our old version was right in the open...
    I walked up and was like "Really" I have to take a picture of this one. I have not been able to find one out yet.
    I. Address: 2 locations, St. Cloud, MN
    II.
    B. Knowledge: 2
    C. Effort: 4.
    Comments: Other than the TP site I left on the iPads, there was no display. The sales guy looked it up, but said their delivery wasn't coming until Friday and that it (probably) wouldn't be on the shelf until Saturday! Maybe I can sneak one through Friday afternoon...

At least they fared better than my local Walmart. The guy there claimed it wasn't even possible for him to look it up
    I. Address: 1 Crossgates Mall Rd, Albany, NY 12203

II.
    A. Display: 3
    B. Knowledge: 0
    C. Effort: 4

Comments: Touchpad was not on display. Employees were pretty much clueless about it even though the display is pretty much front and center. I asked if they were going to have the HP Touchpad in stock and available on Friday. The "Lead" Tech (based on what I saw on his nametag) was not aware of it and asked me if it was something I saw on the website. I started to explain about the HP announcement and that BBY was a main distribution partner, but then just asked if he could check the inventory to see if they were ordered and scheduled to arrive.

He looked Touchpad up in the register and when they showed up he said "OH. Yeah, I guess so. Yeah we'll have them." He asked which one I was looking for and said the 32 GB. He wouldn't tell me how many they were getting so I asked if I could reserve one. He said he wasn't sure. I mentioned that over on the HP display there were copies of the Reservation Tickets. So I led him over to the display and handed it to him.

After that it went pretty quick, he wrote my name and number on the ticket (yes, the one that he took from the display), read the fine print on the ticket, scanned for pre-order and only called someone when he was prompted for a serial number. I mentioned that the webOS forum mentioned that putting in all zeros should work. He tried and it did. I paid, got the $50 gift card and he made me a copy of the reservation ticket.

He did seem a bit preoccupied and in a hurry throughout the process. However, I give a four for effort because the guy was willing to listen to me and took the time to read the instructions on the ticket, instead of trying to pass me off to someone else.

EDIT: Attachments aren't working for some reason otherwise I post pics of the HP display
    Last edited by WoodWulf; 06/28/2011 at 08:56 PM.
    I. Brier Creek, Raleigh, NC

II.
    A. Display. 0
    B. Knowledge: 4
    C. Effort: 3

There was no labeled display. There was an empty one in the middle of the computer section.... I had to go to the mobile phone section for help as the computer guys were helping other customers. I asked the lady if they would have the TouchPad on July 1st. She said, "HP TouchPad, yes". I mentioned I couldn't find a display for them in the back. She said that's because they go on sale July 1st. I smiled and left.
    Oh brother, where do I start... this is the same BBY where I got my pre-order done.

I. BestBuy Address
    2829 North Federal Highway, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33306

II. Rate the store on three areas from 1-5 (1 is poor, 3 is average, 5 is excellent)

A. Display: that gets an unprecedented -1. Although they actually had a display with both 16 and 32GB models, the power outlet was not hooked up. Yes, there was no power to the cabinet. All other tablets and notebooks were happily humming along, but HP's flagship device was dead as a door nail. Even though the BBY rep actually took apart some of the display cabinet, he was unable to locate an outlet to hook it up. The store manager came over and said the overnight crew failed to hook the overhead power lines into the cabinet. I had to say "yes, they failed. Miserably". To say that I was upset when I finally had the chance to demo a TouchPad is an enormous understatement.

B. Salesperson knowledge of webOS -1. I again have to give this store a very low rating. If you look at my post linked above, you'll see the gem "webOS is nothing but a skin atop PalmOS" was uttered at that location. I don't know about you, but for me no amount of training will ever make up for that. Ever.
    C. Sales effort: 0. See above.

III. Comments
    I sincerely hope that this particular store is an anomaly when it comes to BBY (though the other nearby stores aren't that far behind, so there), and BBY has no one to blame but themselves for their declining sales -however, they're nowhere as bad as when Circuit City was on its last legs.

We should all thank the eCommerce gods every morning for their existence. If it weren't for them, we had to rely on these B&M stores for our electronics needs...
    Last edited by Carioca_FL; 06/28/2011 at 11:02 PM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast