1.    #1  
    Although I'm getting a Touchpad on launch, I'm worried about the lack of knowledge and publicity surrounding the Touchpad. I think the only reason that most of us here even know about the Touchpad is because we are WebOS enthusiast. There has been some advertising push by HP but nowhere near the push Apple gives to its products. For example, if a new Iproduct is about to launch all of my friends and family know about it before launch even if they don't own any Iproducts themselves. There is a blast of commercials from Apple and a lot of overexposure in the news before a product launch. I've been waiting to see a Touchpad commercial on TV. I haven't seen one yet and we are one week from launch. No one I know is talking about it. Not even my techy friends. I went into my local BestBuy in Savannah to find the display and could not find it even though I was standing next to it. I had to ask one of their store associate where it was. He didn't even know that HP made a tablet and didn't know the release date. He did know that HP bought a display there (which we were standing right next to) but did not know what it was for. He had the members in his section fill the display with a few random HP laptops that BestBuy was trying to sell. To make matters worse he tried to convince me to buy an Ipad or an Android tablet and said that WebOS was doomed. HP needs to fix all of this fast if they want a successful launch. There needs to be a lot of feel good commercials about the Touchpad on every major channel. They also need to have a word with BestBuy. They have the most biased employees I've ever met. When I tried to buy a Pre at it's launch their employees tried to get me to the Blackberry Storm. I fear they will have a negative effect on the launch and so will the lack of publicity. I want this to succeed.
    I hear you. My sense is that HP has a highly planned campaign and has already bought airtime for it, to be rolled out on a specific schedule for the next block of months. They have a huge network of channel partners selling the device at retail and as part of corporate services and HP has promised to support them, this is a whole different animal from Palm.

We saw numbers early in spring coming out of Mobile UK about $160 million advertising campaign, I expect we will see more up-to-date numbers from the ad magazines as HP is a big player and marketers salivate for its business.

This just the first shot below, you can google PreCentral and get more information about other pieces of the campaign:
    Manny Pacquiao brings us our first TouchPad ad, highlights multitasking and Flash [video] | The #1 HP / Palm webOS Community | PreCentral.net
    I would start the advertising this coming week and slowly ramp it up and let it peak when the product is on the shelves and the retail sales folks get some product knowledge and training.
    We know they've already filmed several commercials. My guess is that this coming week we'll see the floodgates open. The commercials will air, the NDA will be lifted, and the reviews will land. This won't be like the veer launch at all. Infact, I bet the veer will get more exposure next week as well.
    HP will do a great job of getting the Touchpad out into the market place - in fact there are already indications that they are deploying so called 'Geurrilla marketing' techniques to raise awareness even pre-launch.

HP do have a challenge that Apple really don't have and that's a very, very wide range of products with underlying product management teams all vying for a slice of the marketing spend.

Apple's marketing, branding and implied product supremacy across all the different media streams available today is simply stupendous and without equal, Globally.

So HP will do a great job for sure and have the massive presence and distribution network needed to succeed. Will they topple Apple from the No1 spot and the iPad? I sincerely doubt it - but that doesn't mean that they won't be very successful either.
    Too many unknowns about the product at the moment. They need answers out there before they pull the trigger on ads to the general public. At the moment it's all been targeted toward the techies. You don't want to get your average you excited enough to log on to the touchpad site and being disappointed with the lack of info there. They won't bother looking again.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    He had the members in his section fill the display with a few random HP laptops that BestBuy was trying to sell. To make matters worse he tried to convince me to buy an Ipad or an Android tablet and said that WebOS was doomed. HP needs to fix all of this fast if they want a successful launch. There needs to be a lot of feel good commercials about the Touchpad on every major channel. They also need to have a word with BestBuy. They have the most biased employees I've ever met. When I tried to buy a Pre at it's launch their employees tried to get me to the Blackberry Storm. I fear they will have a negative effect on the launch and so will the lack of publicity. I want this to succeed.
    Yes completely. Best Buy is definitely leaning customers one way or another depending on the free trips and t-shirts that Samsung and otherwise give away and promo events. Customers don't hear about these giveaways, but they happen all the time and can be as small as a t-shirt and hat. I'm certain I'm going to get slammed by someone from Best Buy saying we don't make commissions and get free stuff, but then why are checkouts so motivated to sign people up for a Free Magazine Subscription. Nobody does anything for nothing and someone is getting paid to push items if their is a commission or not.

Either way, these free items (t-shirts and hat) indirectly give the impression that Samsung is our friend and they gave me something and now I need to do my part in return. I've been in the business a long time and even I've been swayed by gestures like these and swayed customers one way or another. I used to promote and advertise the heck out of Apple and say everyone should buy Macs, but not anymore. Macs are great, but Windows 7 is MUCH Much cheaper and does a reasonable job for the average user. A few years ago, recommending Mac was a no brainer with Vista being our only option upgrade wise and everyone knows how that turned out.

I also went to my local Best Buy and thankfully the reps at least new what the TouchPad and Veer were and were just talking about why their store had not yet received their TouchPad demo units. Also, who ever is putting up those HP displays needs to mind how they mount and setup the equipment. My store had dummy model Veers mounted upside down and with the Security cable slapped right on the front. How many people are going to steal a Dummy Phone and was the cable attached to the 2.5" screen necessary. I looked around and did not notice any Android devices with there screens blocked from view because of a security cable. These cables can be mounted from the back....especially with the Veers since the Back Covers are non-removable. As usual...Best Buy trying their best to make something not work as will as it should or they simply don't give a s.h.i.t!

Thankfully they had one real Veer on display, but it had the Charger Screen showing and even though I plugged it in it did not come back up and finally boot and become usable.

Get on the ball Best Buy and support HP who's PAYING YOU for primetime space and probably for more then what Apple and Samsung have shelled out. HP deserves a fighting chance! Sorli...
    Last edited by sorli; 06/26/2011 at 12:36 PM.
  8.    #9  
    bluenote and Mhunterjr, I sure hope you are right. I hope we see a flood of advertisement starting tomorrow since there are only 4 days left. We all know that Apple has redefined success in the tech world. If there aren't a line of people waiting to buy the Touchpad at your local retail store, if they don't sell close to 1 million Touchpads a week, and if there aren't a lot of rabid fans out there for the Touchpad, CNET and other sites will declare it a failure in its first week. Everyone else will say how much of a failure it is because of what they heard from CNET and other sites. Reviewers will say that Apple's product is better even if the Touchpad beats it using the reviewer's own standards (CNET Pricefight bias anyone?).

It's already behind on apps, according to every site that previewed it. Even though as Android has more apps, most of them don't work on all Android devices because of fragmentation and as Apple has more apps, they really have dozens of copies of literally the same app (how many fart apps do you need?). We all know that Apple create the app craze with their "There's an App for That" campaign and people fell for it without even knowing what it means. Even my tech challenge friends us that stupid phrase as a punchline for some of their jokes. It's missing a rear facing camera. Although no one will really use a bulky ten inch tablet to take pictures or make videos, Samsung is already making commercials with a guy using the new Galaxy Tab to film a safari. It's missing video out, which really upsets me but I can live without it (for now) and it's missing office editing software which is a major problem for business customers. Apple has gotten away with missing some of the same things because of one hell of a campaign highlighting their Iproducts strengths. They made everyone want their products. HP has to do the same. I understand they are going after the business market (so was RIM with the Playbook) but they need to go after every demographic to have a healthy adoption rate. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed that HP has a good plan to address these issues but with this product so close to launch I'm getting extremely nervous. I want WebOS to successed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    We know they've already filmed several commercials. My guess is that this coming week we'll see the floodgates open. The commercials will air, the NDA will be lifted, and the reviews will land. This won't be like the veer launch at all. Infact, I bet the veer will get more exposure next week as well.
    We know? All I read was the name of some celebrities that were signed for HP's campaign. But no mention of any ads being filmed already.
  10.    #11  
    Sorli,

I hate going into BestBuy to buy anything. I know more about the products they carry then their employees do. Most of the employees in the Savannah BestBuy are under the legal drinking age. They are clueless about tech other than what they probably see on "Attack of the Show". You would think that an employee at a tech store would know about tech until you realize that they are the same as McDonald's employees who we know don't know how to cook. I actually overheard a BestBuy person tell a costumer that VGA out was a new type of adapter for a laptop on par with HDMI out. Not to mention trying to sell me $120 worth of useless Geek Squad "intial setup" for my laptop which was nothing more than installing anti-virus software, running updates, and backing up the system (which the laptop did automatically on the first run). Or trying to sell me a $30 mini-HDMI cable that cost $7 on Amazon.com.

The thing that really upsets me is if I'm willing to drop $500 plus tax on a product in their store they should be willing to sell it to me. I don't see employees in a grocery store trying to convince me not to buy a certain loaf of bread on their shelves. Even car sales people, the most sleaziest of the bunch, will sell you any car off their lot (just don't try to get it in the color you want). BestBuy employees are the worst I've ever seen. They think they are helping but they are completely biased and cluesless. They just need to stick to selling you what you want and leave their opinions to the folks who ask for them.

I could go on and on about BestBuy, but unfortunately they don't have too much competition as a tech store. I would also like to keep this thread about concerns with HP's publicity for the Touchpad.
    Last edited by k4ever; 06/26/2011 at 01:07 PM. Reason: to clean up my rant!
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    I agree with the OP. As much as I like to hope HP has a well organized marketing plan, I'm afraid there are no indications of it so far. Others have already made comparisons to how Apple launches new products so I'll refrain from repeating all of that.

Let's remember how we learned about the TouchPad's release. It was first reported here as a leak on May 28th followed by other reports/rumors/guesses about the release date for the next 11 days. It wasn't until June 9th when the release date was announced. The point being - information was leaked because retailers were already placing orders before any announcements were made to the public.

I'm as anxious about seeing the TouchPad just as anybody. I'm being a realist and keeping a balanced perspective. As with many others, I'll believe HP has a good plan already in place when I see it in action. Hopefully it's more than just a couple commercials, they really need to go all out.
    Last edited by Hobbz; 06/26/2011 at 01:14 PM.
  12.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbz View Post
    I agree with the OP. As much as I like to hope HP has a well organized marketing plan, I'm afraid there are no indications of it so far. Others have already made comparisons to how Apple launches new products so I'll refrain from repeating all of that.

Let's remember how we learned about the TouchPad's release. It was first reported here as a leak on May 28th followed by other reports/rumors/guesses about the release date for the next 11 days. It wasn't until June 9th when the release date was announced. The point being - information was leaked because retailers were already placing orders before any announcements were made to the public.

I'm as anxious about seeing the TouchPad just as anybody. I'm being a realist and keeping a balanced perspective. As with many others, I'll believe HP has a good plan already in place when I see it in action. Hopefully it's more than just a couple commercials, they really need to go all out.
    Hobbz, (one of my all time favorite comic characters)

Well said. You summed up my fears. Hopefully HP's marketing is listening.
    just wanted to share, on one of best buys site the touchpad has 15 reviews all 5 stars, and a bunch of people coming from apple, and android.

Best Buy - HP TouchPad Tablet with 16GB Memory - Black customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings

one guy even told his story about lossing his epic and a friend giving him a old palm pre. He said once he started using it, and got over the build he fell in love with Webos(as most do who try it). He then stated if the Touchpad is anything like the pre, he will be dumping his Ipad for one. I think HP will make sure people know a whole lot about the Touchpad, Pre3, and whatever else they release running Webos so no worrys.