1.    #1  
    I'm getting a touchpad because I travel a lot and desire not to carry my laptop, and most of my travel is international, so I won't have a phone to pair the tablet to when I'm overseas.

Like most folks, I use IM a lot so I'd like to have a chat client that will work via wifi only....

Will any chat clients work via just a wifi connection, or is it going to need some sort of tie-in to a cellular network?

Counting down to 1 JUL like everyone else...

Regards....
    Do you want a specific IM client? Or do you want something like TextOne that allows cross platform chat via WiFi?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    If there isn't something right from the start, irc & bitlbee would work
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by l8whalefr8 View Post
    I'm getting a touchpad because I travel a lot and desire not to carry my laptop, and most of my travel is international, so I won't have a phone to pair the tablet to when I'm overseas.

Like most folks, I use IM a lot so I'd like to have a chat client that will work via wifi only....

Will any chat clients work via just a wifi connection, or is it going to need some sort of tie-in to a cellular network?

Counting down to 1 JUL like everyone else...

Regards....
    AIM, GoogleTalk, Yahoo all seem to work fine using the native messaging via wifi. I've also used Meebo in the browser via wifi (on my webos phone) when I didn't have cell service and it worked okay. Then there's textone and wiirc and a couple of other chat clients that are out there that should work fine. Depends on your needs, but I think you'll be covered. Oh and don't forget Skype. It will be integrated into the native messaging app.
    There is also IM+ in the App Catalog for further IM-Protocols.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    All apps in the touchpad will work via wifi only since that is all it can do. My guess is SMS might not work without being paired with a phone, but who knows.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the responses. I'm tip-toeing into the homebrew (thanks to all of you that get it done!) with my 1.4X pixi, but think WebOS is the bee's knees.

I don't do much SMS, but I do lots of IM. I don't care about the brand name of the client, since I'm a ubuntu type, I have a couple clients. I just wasn't sure if the tablet machines were more phone or computer.

Thanks for all of your responses and food for thought.

@nhaver: I'm a skype fool, so that really has me stoked, especially with the Synergy integration.

I'm really looking forward to having my tablet on 1 JUL and I leave on a business trip either that night or the next day, so I'll have a good real-world world-wide (kinda) road test on it.